BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-05-31 7:11 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by PsyTri

Disappointing OWS today. Up really early to meet a new group, but their directions screwed me up and I missed over half of it by the time I got there. Was not warmed up and we did a medium long swim. Did not feel comfortable, water was a little choppy, I was the slowest, and I felt pretty unhappy with my stroke. The swim was the part I'd been feeling pretty good about lately. Put a damper on my confidence and it was hard to shake that feeling most of the day. Hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping for a better workout.

Gary

Thats ok man i know your a sub 2 min/100m on raceday , the distance you swam is actually ample enough for sprint distance. I am sure you will significantly get better days than bad ones. I am looking into your advice on strength training combined with Marilyn's i am still on maintenance mode wont be seriously training until July.

Good luck on the pool tomorrow!!

Cheers

Carlo

2014-05-31 7:54 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Thanks for the support. I'm over it now. Looking forward to a good workout tomorrow.

BTW, George, I made those energy date snacks today. They are awesome. Was a little unclear on whether all ingredients combined in the food processor and then make the balls, or make balls with the date mixture and then roll in the coconut and almonds. We did the prior and then rolled them in extra coconut. They are terrific. AND I'm the only one who likes them, so there's more for me! YUM!
2014-06-01 4:05 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I gave myself a day off training today, coinciding with my day off work. No alarm clock, no guilt, got up at 7am. It was fantastic .
2014-06-01 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Gary - Glad you liked the energy balls.  I think they are pretty good too.  You made them the right way just be sure to really work in the outer layer of coconut and almond so they aren't too crumbly.

Anna - Sometimes a day off just feels right.  And, so re-invigorating, eh.

All - I missed a 4hr ride yesterday to stay home and help with a garage sale.  It shocked us what people will buy and then completely ignore the stuff we thought was the really good stuff.  So glad to get rid of a lot of "stuff".

Then this morning I took off for the 4hr ride.  It was a gorgeous day, I was riding through the area where they held the Oliver HIM today so I got to see lots of cyclists and even got mixed in with quite a few of them.  My ride south was fast and fun but then I turned around and had to ride back north into a strong very annoying headwind.  I was trying to maintain my pace but into the wind it just kept getting stronger until I reached the end of my 4hrs and I got off the bike.  After fighting the wind for 43km I was pretty beat.

Today I also saw vultures (3) for the first time.  Didn't even know we had them here.

2014-06-02 6:46 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Taringa I gave myself a day off training today, coinciding with my day off work. No alarm clock, no guilt, got up at 7am. It was fantastic .

i love how sleeping in till 7 am is a luxury :-P

i am taking today off of training due to a) 80+ degrees, b) my shoulder is sore from my fall yesterday, and c) lady stuff so therefore i can just say i'm going to read books at the beach or something instead

2014-06-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Taringa I gave myself a day off training today, coinciding with my day off work. No alarm clock, no guilt, got up at 7am. It was fantastic .

i love how sleeping in till 7 am is a luxury :-P

i am taking today off of training due to a) 80+ degrees, b) my shoulder is sore from my fall yesterday, and c) lady stuff so therefore i can just say i'm going to read books at the beach or something instead

I always give myself a free pass once a month. Don't always take it. Hope you had a nice relaxing day.

Without any such excuses, I decided to take my kids to the pool Saturday and ended up skipping my long ride. Did my long run yesterday (7.4 miles) and it sucked the life out of me. Probably shouldn't have waited until late Sunday afternoon. But I did it.

2014-06-02 12:10 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Sunday swim and run were great. I feel back on track. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
2014-06-03 6:17 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

My news for today: my wetsuit arrived in the mail. I ordered it last week, so I'm pretty happy with the speed of delivery. Of course I had to try it on, and as this is my first wetsuit ever, struggled more than a bit!  According to the manufacturer's size chart, my height and weight are right in the middle of the range for the size but man, it feels tight! As long as I stand still in robot position it feels mostly OK (apart from a very tight neck) so I'm hoping once it's got a little water inside and I'm swimming it'll feel OK. Anyone got any tips, suggestions?

2014-06-03 9:29 AM

User image

Anna,
My wetsuit feels tight too. Especially when I first put it on. Mostly constricting in the chest area, so I feel like it could be hard to breathe. You do want to make sure you can stretch your arms out for a full stroke in front of you otherwise it can be extra taxing on your shoulder muscles. I would try it out in the water for a good amount of time. At first it will feel tight, but I find that after a few minutes of swimming it seems to pretty much "go away". Althoug your mention of a very tight neck is concerning. Hopefully this was helpful and others will chime in with their suggestions. Good going on the off day by the way. Its important to get some recovery in every once in a while.

- Todd
2014-06-03 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Anna,

Wetsuits take a bit of getting used to.  Putting mine on the 1st few times was a major chore (had the salesgirl and my wife laughing at me) but now I can get it on fairly quickly except for help with the zipper (always have a buddy to help with the zipper and sometimes even to help pull up your sleeves).

Some things that made a difference for me:

a) soak the suit overnight, not before every swim but every time you haven't used the wetsuit for awhile (like 2 to 3 mos. or more).

b) as you put it on make sure you pull the suit up as high as possible (pull the legs up then work the waist up and then the chest  so that when you put your arms into the sleeves you have lots of room for your shoulders.  You want the suit to be quite as high up as possible without overstretching it (think "intimate").  It gets easier as you repeat it.

c) experiment with the Velcro at the back of your neck.  I usually do mine up snug but loose whereas the fellow I swim with needs his done up very loosely or else he can't breath.

d) Some people use some stuff like a roll on deodorant the helps the suit slip on.  So far I don't need it but some of my friends do.

e) When you're pulling on your wetsuit pull on the inside material not on the outside and if you haven't already, trim your finger nails short with no snaggy edges.

I've been fairly lucky with mine but you do need to practice getting used to it by getting into the water, feeling the water hit your zipper (very cold here), then try floating a bit to see what your suit can do for you and then tentatively taking a few strokes to try it out.  Once you feel comfortable start swimming.  This is when some people can get nervous.  If you do revert to the floating thing again.

The most important thing to learn is to trust your wetsuit.  I sometimes just stop in the middle of the lake and float for a few minutes with only my wetsuit supporting me (no treading water or kicking) to appreciate how great/unique/beautiful/lucky it is to be where I am.  Or, I take stock of where everyone else swimming with me is. 

I feel faster and smoother in the water in my wetsuit.  However, I do on occasion feel like my chest is constricted and it is hard to breath.  Just calm yourself and swim slower until you feel back to normal.

Let us know how you make out.

2014-06-03 11:05 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
Good advice from Todd and George on the wetsuit. The only thing I'll add is that it's easier to get your feet and hands through if you stick them in thin plastic bags like they use in grocery stores in the states. Pulling it up as far as possible as mentioned above helps with shoulder slack.

2014-06-04 3:34 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Anna

I use this:

Cheers

Carlo

(trislide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trislide.jpg (12KB - 3 downloads)
2014-06-04 3:38 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have another go tonight (hopefully the novelty of laughing at Mum looking like a shrink-wrapped ham will have worn off for the rest of the family) and see if I can get more comfortable. Good advice re: relaxing and calming, I did have a momentary sense of "I can't breathe!" when the zip went up. Then I just need to get some time in the water with it!

2014-06-04 8:47 AM

User image

So I'm here in the northern hemisphere on the cusp of summer thinking, "who the heck wears a wetsuit at this time of year, except people in the southern hem . . . OHHHHHH! I remember seeing that Anna lived down under. I get it!" But seriously, how cold is the water in your part of the globe?
2014-06-04 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

registered for 2 races this morning!  both sprints, but still, first tris in over a year!

2014-06-04 11:17 AM

User image

registered for 2 races this morning!  both sprints, but still, first tris in over a year!

Way to go!

2014-06-04 2:47 PM

User image

Anyone else racing this weekend? I have an Olympic on Sunday. First tri of the year for me. To wetsuit or not will be a game time decision. I haven't had the wetsuit on myself yet this year, so may just have to get in the water with it on Saturday to get over the Boa Constrictor feeling myself. Temperature looks perfect (70's), but may have some rain.
- Todd
2014-06-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: trei

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by trei Anyone else racing this weekend? I have an Olympic on Sunday. First tri of the year for me. To wetsuit or not will be a game time decision. I haven't had the wetsuit on myself yet this year, so may just have to get in the water with it on Saturday to get over the Boa Constrictor feeling myself. Temperature looks perfect (70's), but may have some rain. - Todd

Me!  But water temps at the race site are already 76 and it's going to be a hot week, I don't even own a wetsuit, and the swim is only 500m.  I'll probably be the only person without one, I usually am

2014-06-04 3:03 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by trei Anyone else racing this weekend? I have an Olympic on Sunday. First tri of the year for me. To wetsuit or not will be a game time decision. I haven't had the wetsuit on myself yet this year, so may just have to get in the water with it on Saturday to get over the Boa Constrictor feeling myself. Temperature looks perfect (70's), but may have some rain. - Todd

Me!  But water temps at the race site are already 76 and it's going to be a hot week, I don't even own a wetsuit, and the swim is only 500m.  I'll probably be the only person without one, I usually am

+1
2014-06-04 8:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Woot!
2014-06-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
St. Louis
Good luck to those racing this weekend!

2014-06-04 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri So I'm here in the northern hemisphere on the cusp of summer thinking, "who the heck wears a wetsuit at this time of year, except people in the southern hem . . . OHHHHHH! I remember seeing that Anna lived down under. I get it!" But seriously, how cold is the water in your part of the globe?

Gary - We still have lots of snow in the mountains around us and with the warmer temps our air temp is great but all the melting snow is running into our lakes keeping them quite cool until approximately July 1st.  We've been swimming in a small lake 30km/18mi south of here which is about 68F which is really nice in a wetsuit.  Okanagan Lake where we prefer to swim is about 65F as of today and I'll be swimming there for the first time this year tomorrow.  A few people have been in already but most people are still waiting.

We also have Skaha Lake to swim in but it is still quite cold so maybe in a couple weeks it will be warm enough.

For races my very first triathlon was in Okanagan Lake but it was 76F and so far it has been the only race I've seen without wetsuits.  Even my HIM at Lake Stevens (Washington) last year the water was a perfect temp but the air temp was 58F in July.  I was very glad to be wearing a warm wetsuit.

2014-06-05 12:44 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by strykergt

Anna

I use this:

Cheers

Carlo

I use this too (and body glide). Never race without it. My racing buddy is hooked now too.

I just have to get it shipped in from the USA. Can't seem to get it in Oz.

2014-06-05 12:54 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi all.

Is it just me, or is the group quiet on the injury front at the moment...? That's awesome.

Me, I have another mysterious issue, from the bike this time. My wonderful physio always finds a way to fix me, even when he's not 100% sure of what I've done, so I'm sure I'll be back on deck soon. Its a pity, despite a couple of injuries I've been travelling well recently. Ran a 10 minute PB for the HM distance last week in training.

2014-06-05 2:41 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by PsyTri

Sunday swim and run were great. I feel back on track. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Awesome, nothing better than a couple of good sessions!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38701 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74174 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.