BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-10 9:22 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Hi Everyone, I'd like to join too if it's not too late.

NAME: Bullfrog/Andrew

STORY: I've been doing multi sport of some sort for about 7 years now. I decided to lose some weight, as the weight came off I started running, which led to my first half marathon, which led to a duathlon which eventually led to tris.

I've done 4 100km Duathlons, 12 sprint triathlons, 1 oly tri, 3 Half Ironmans, and 6 Half Marathons. But I've never had much success due to my weight being up and down so much. I have never been able to make my improvements stick. Which is what I really want to achieve. But I've had fun doing it.

I was previously in a Clydesdale mentor group here, which kind of dissolved due to a lack of activity. But when it was going I found it very helpful to be in a group. Also, I'm from New Zealand, so am in the height of our summer, which is a bit different to most of you.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 years, with an over excited dog, and child #1 due at the end of June, very exciting.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not enough! I've been 7.5-8 hours a week for the last few weeks, looking to up that over the next couple of months.

2016 RACES: Challenge Wanaka half distance in February. 1 sprint in March. and then a broken bone in my hand which derailed things.

The Plan for 2017: Raced half ironman #3 last weekend. Aiming for Ironman NZ in march, for which I will be woefully under prepared, but I want to tick that box before the baby arrives. Then will switch to running through the winter and eventally try to keep fitness however I can once the baby's here.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: I'm partial to a good IPA, or a pilsner. Also a fan of a good red wine. And in my younger, yacht racing days I knocked back the rum and cokes with the best of them.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'd estimate about 100kg lost over the last 6-7 years. Unfortunately its the same 25kg 4 times. I'm currently 5kg down from when I started serious HIM training this time around, and hoping to lose another 5-10kg by the time IMNZ rolls around.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Despite being fat and slow, I have done a few tris now, so have some experience I can share, so I think I've got a bit to offer. I'm also hoping to be an active member of the community. And most of all, I can point you towards some amazing NZ beers, a whole new world to experience.

2017-01-10 11:38 PM
in reply to: #5209840

User image

, California
Haven't checked that one out yet Dave but maybe will. Right now we're finishing up a documentary series on Netflix called Captive. Not bad.

Tonight was a little core strength training and yoga DVD. Monday night was the first day healthy enough for a workout in two weeks. Timing couldn't have been better as it was the first night of the new swim group I've joined. More on that to come. But it was great to be back in the pool.

-Matt
2017-01-10 11:44 PM
in reply to: #5209884

User image

, California
Welcome Andrew, good to have you aboard.

-Matt
2017-01-11 9:52 AM
in reply to: #5209885

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome, Andrew!!
2017-01-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by Hook'em

First swim this week - 2200 yds.  #5 workout for the month.  

I keep putting off the start to my winter cycling.  So, I've decided that I cannot watch any of the National Championship game without riding at least an hour on the trainer (likely while watching the game).  

Nice job on the swim - thats a good distance! So what did you think of the outcome of the game?

I managed to get in 40 minutes on the trainer prior to the game officially starting.  I thought it was a great game and liked the outcome.  I'm partial to the 2005 National Championship Game when underdog Texas beat USC, but this was close for an exciting ending.

2017-01-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi Everyone, I'd like to join too if it's not too late. NAME: Bullfrog/Andrew STORY: I've been doing multi sport of some sort for about 7 years now. I decided to lose some weight, as the weight came off I started running, which led to my first half marathon, which led to a duathlon which eventually led to tris. I've done 4 100km Duathlons, 12 sprint triathlons, 1 oly tri, 3 Half Ironmans, and 6 Half Marathons. But I've never had much success due to my weight being up and down so much. I have never been able to make my improvements stick. Which is what I really want to achieve. But I've had fun doing it. I was previously in a Clydesdale mentor group here, which kind of dissolved due to a lack of activity. But when it was going I found it very helpful to be in a group. Also, I'm from New Zealand, so am in the height of our summer, which is a bit different to most of you. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 years, with an over excited dog, and child #1 due at the end of June, very exciting. CURRENT TRAINING: Not enough! I've been 7.5-8 hours a week for the last few weeks, looking to up that over the next couple of months. 2016 RACES: Challenge Wanaka half distance in February. 1 sprint in March. and then a broken bone in my hand which derailed things. The Plan for 2017: Raced half ironman #3 last weekend. Aiming for Ironman NZ in march, for which I will be woefully under prepared, but I want to tick that box before the baby arrives. Then will switch to running through the winter and eventally try to keep fitness however I can once the baby's here. BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: I'm partial to a good IPA, or a pilsner. Also a fan of a good red wine. And in my younger, yacht racing days I knocked back the rum and cokes with the best of them. WEIGHT LOSS: I'd estimate about 100kg lost over the last 6-7 years. Unfortunately its the same 25kg 4 times. I'm currently 5kg down from when I started serious HIM training this time around, and hoping to lose another 5-10kg by the time IMNZ rolls around. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Despite being fat and slow, I have done a few tris now, so have some experience I can share, so I think I've got a bit to offer. I'm also hoping to be an active member of the community. And most of all, I can point you towards some amazing NZ beers, a whole new world to experience.

A Kiwi!  YAY!  Glad to have another from outside the US.  Welcome!

2017-01-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 : My big goal for 2017 is Ironman Santa Rosa on 7.29.17.

Can't wait to see how this goes for you.  There was a lot of grief when it got moved and became IM branded so I'm interested to see/hear your experience.  I've never been too keen on doing an IM, but that one would be on the short list for sure.

2017-01-11 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Welcome back Matt - this was my favorite line from your post!
Originally posted by Tavo2311 WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I know my booze and am quickly learning my Tri.

Yeah, that made me laugh out loud too.

2017-01-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Got another swim workout in the books - IM day just wipes me out.  Planning on a trainer workout this evening before dinner.

2017-01-11 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

STORY: I've been doing multi sport of some sort for about 7 years now. I decided to lose some weight, as the weight came off I started running, which led to my first half marathon, which led to a duathlon which eventually led to tris.

I've done 4 100km Duathlons, 12 sprint triathlons, 1 oly tri, 3 Half Ironmans, and 6 Half Marathons. But I've never had much success due to my weight being up and down so much. I have never been able to make my improvements stick. Which is what I really want to achieve. But I've had fun doing it.

I was previously in a Clydesdale mentor group here, which kind of dissolved due to a lack of activity. But when it was going I found it very helpful to be in a group. Also, I'm from New Zealand, so am in the height of our summer, which is a bit different to most of you.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 years, with an over excited dog, and child #1 due at the end of June, very exciting.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not enough! I've been 7.5-8 hours a week for the last few weeks, looking to up that over the next couple of months.

2016 RACES: Challenge Wanaka half distance in February. 1 sprint in March. and then a broken bone in my hand which derailed things.

The Plan for 2017: Raced half ironman #3 last weekend. Aiming for Ironman NZ in march, for which I will be woefully under prepared, but I want to tick that box before the baby arrives. Then will switch to running through the winter and eventally try to keep fitness however I can once the baby's here.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: I'm partial to a good IPA, or a pilsner. Also a fan of a good red wine. And in my younger, yacht racing days I knocked back the rum and cokes with the best of them.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'd estimate about 100kg lost over the last 6-7 years. Unfortunately its the same 25kg 4 times. I'm currently 5kg down from when I started serious HIM training this time around, and hoping to lose another 5-10kg by the time IMNZ rolls around.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Despite being fat and slow, I have done a few tris now, so have some experience I can share, so I think I've got a bit to offer. I'm also hoping to be an active member of the community. And most of all, I can point you towards some amazing NZ beers, a whole new world to experience.

How could we say no to a guy whose nickname is Bullfrog - especially one with a hell of a lot of experience.

I did an IM as an "underprepared athlete" and I'd love to stargaze ways to help you cross that finish line.

Prost!
2017-01-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Haven't checked that one out yet Dave but maybe will. Right now we're finishing up a documentary series on Netflix called Captive. Not bad.

Tonight was a little core strength training and yoga DVD. Monday night was the first day healthy enough for a workout in two weeks. Timing couldn't have been better as it was the first night of the new swim group I've joined. More on that to come. But it was great to be back in the pool.

-Matt

The man in the high castle is worth at least three episodes. It's not for everyone but I Was fricking hooked before the end of the first episode.

Glad you found a nice swim group!

2017-01-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #5209890

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice run at noon today. It wasn't sunny, but at 64F in January, I'll take it!! Run itself didn't feel great. Not sure what it was, but near the end my right groin muscle started to hurt. I ended up cutting the last half mile due to the pain.
2017-01-11 3:35 PM

User image

With my current run fitness, the runs are going to be horrible for a while - more horrible than normal.  The sooner I get through the grueling first few weeks, the better off I'll be.  

2017-01-11 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice run at noon today. It wasn't sunny, but at 64F in January, I'll take it!! Run itself didn't feel great. Not sure what it was, but near the end my right groin muscle started to hurt. I ended up cutting the last half mile due to the pain.

64 in January is unbeatable! Sorry that your run wasn't great. Hope it's heals quickly!
2017-01-11 4:47 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert

With my current run fitness, the runs are going to be horrible for a while - more horrible than normal.  The sooner I get through the grueling first few weeks, the better off I'll be.  

I am so right there with you. Today I walked for 15 minutes on a treadmill - and it sucked. I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the gym and I got winded - and it sucked! I rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes and it wasn't fun. Hard to believe I ran 15 miles last February and I'm so out of shape now. So yes - i couldn't agree with you more.

2017-01-11 5:34 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Tavo2311 : My big goal for 2017 is Ironman Santa Rosa on 7.29.17.

Can't wait to see how this goes for you.  There was a lot of grief when it got moved and became IM branded so I'm interested to see/hear your experience.  I've never been too keen on doing an IM, but that one would be on the short list for sure.

This was originally Vineman, correct? My sis-in-law was trying to talk me into that one this year.

2017-01-11 5:39 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by bulfrog

Bullfrog! Welcome!! Dang, I love that name! My trail name is Buckshot! hahaha (given to me by my brother)
I would give my eye teeth to visit your country! So beautiful. I hope that last quake out there didn't affect you - that was something else.
Congrats on the next arrival after your IM (wow!) - very exciting....and you think training makes you tired... hahahha (impending doom laugh).
Seriously, parenthood is amazing. It is a good idea to get the race in before baby comes.
Again, welcome!
2017-01-11 5:42 PM

User image

, Vermont

I had an MRI on my lumbar spine last week and  met with my spine surgeon this morning.  . 

Glad to hear you're feeling confident with the plan - often that's a big piece of the battle. It will be nice to be pain-free and I hope it goes great and you're back at it very soon!
2017-01-11 5:53 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
1800 in the pool yesterday after about 42 minutes on the trainer. I know, odd number to ride....but my Netflix show had ended.
I am binging on "The 100" - finally got season 3 on Netflix.
So I still haven't officially signed up for IMMT yet with the nagging SI joint issue...but my sis in law sent me a random text a couple of days ago saying, "IMLP?"
She had previously told me she didn't think she'd have time to train for IMMT and IMLP is a month earlier! Ack! While logistics for IMLP would be great for me (our camp is a 45 minute drive to LP), I would have had to start training 3 weeks ago per my 30 week plan.... As it is, my IMMT plan starts Jan 23rd and I'll be hard pressed to be where I need to be in all categories to start that (swim 2500 comfortably - can do; bike for 2 hours comfortably - not yet; run for 1 hour comfortably - I'm in pain in 2 miles...). Soooooo..... maybe not without a miracle healing in the SI joint and piriformis. hahahaha! You never know what life will present you with though! Never say never! I just wish this SI thing would clear up...3.5 months is not tolerable in my world.

Winter brings Switchback's Dooley Porter....and a huge smile on my face and love in my belly.
Cheers all!
2017-01-11 5:55 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy, or just dedicated. Running into 30mph headwinds this afternoon was one of those times. Three miles in the books with the pup, who had trouble running in a straight line when there were cross winds. It would have been funny, if she didn't keep cutting me off!!

Both! and own it proudly!!! I would have loved a video of pup and the winds. hahahaha
2017-01-11 5:58 PM

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by Qua17 Welcome back Matt - this was my favorite line from your post!
Originally posted by Tavo2311 WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I know my booze and am quickly learning my Tri.

Yeah, that made me laugh out loud too.

thrice!

2017-01-11 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm having an easy start to the training week this week, letting myself recover from Saturdays HIM. So far I've only done 2 short 20 minute easy runs. But I'm looking forward to getting out for a ride this evening.
2017-01-11 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Bullfrog! Welcome!! Dang, I love that name! My trail name is Buckshot! hahaha (given to me by my brother)
I would give my eye teeth to visit your country! So beautiful. I hope that last quake out there didn't affect you - that was something else.
Congrats on the next arrival after your IM (wow!) - very exciting....and you think training makes you tired... hahahha (impending doom laugh).
Seriously, parenthood is amazing. It is a good idea to get the race in before baby comes.
Again, welcome!

Bullfrog is a name that predates Tri's for me, its from sailing. It's strange, but there are quite a few people I've known for years who don't know my real name. And for that matter, people who I've known for years whos name's I don't know.

Yes that's my thinking exactly, the impending arrival does put some time pressure on me. I'm not sure what the future will hold, but I do know there will be no long distance Tri's next summer. And who knows after that. So it might be now or never... so we chose now.
2017-01-12 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Morning BDAS!

I'm subbing this morning at the local high school, which starts at 7am. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my morning workout in so I'm gonna have to find some time this afternoon to get in a swim.

Do you older BDASers remember Charles - he;s coming into town for the weekend - it should be a good time!
2017-01-12 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

I am so right there with you. Today I walked for 15 minutes on a treadmill - and it sucked. I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the gym and I got winded - and it sucked! I rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes and it wasn't fun. Hard to believe I ran 15 miles last February and I'm so out of shape now. So yes - i couldn't agree with you more.

Yes, but you did it.  And that's all that matters.  Tomorrow or the next day should be a little easier, or maybe it won't.  But keep putting drops in the bucket and it will get full again.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39958 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.