BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-02-09 12:25 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
We had a boy (andrew), born on 2/2 at 1203pm 6lbs 4oz and 19.5 inches. Have daughter (2) and she is still adapting. Yes, i agree the workouts are a good mental break
---
also, here is a picture of my bike with the new wheels mounted. Now i just need to make myself faster to match the bike

Edited by jpb0009 2007-02-09 12:36 PM

(100_1160.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
100_1160.JPG (69KB - 62 downloads)

2007-02-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: #685347

Hingham, MA
that is great! my daughter is a newly minted 6 and my son is almost 3. they get along great. big sisters are very helpful. hope you experience the same... congrats.

speaking of mental...looking at the HIM this year was curious when "the wall" kicks in...similar to mile 18 for the marathon. any thoughts or is it dependent on your success with nutrition.

2007-02-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: #685347

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

That is a sweet looking bike.  I like the wheels Cool .

TJ

2007-02-09 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, sorry about the post, just got a little excited about the new set up. ( a little off subject). I'm really excited about the kids only being a few years apart. I already have a "swim, bike,run" infant and toddler t-shirt ,,, in blue and pink. There my extra support on race day.
On the other topic regarding soreness, I learned my lesson last year not listening and hurt my ITband. I have a tendency to push to hard at times and I am trying to focus more and listen to my body and remember easy days are good.
2007-02-09 4:22 PM
in reply to: #685686

Hingham, MA
sweeeet ride!

I injured my IT band in late 2005 going out too fast, too long and too soon. It took almost a year to get 100% healed.

I am taking this HIM training slow and steady before I light it up. This is where you pay attention and use the tools we have available. Use your HRM, listen to your body and stay on course with your training. I can attest that I have left some PRs on the training circuit.
2007-02-10 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi all, sorry I have been absent a little while.

My training has still been in maintenance mode - life has been crazy. I have my first half marathon March 18th, so right now I am just trying to keep up with the run training and then hopefully after that i will have time to build up a little before my first tri in April - it is just a sprint with a pool swim so I am hoping I will be ok with it without a ton of training. After school is done this year and life goes back to normal, hopefully I will really be able to ramp up the training a lot - full time work and full time school and full time family is hard to keep up with training too!!

On the pain/injury issue, I have a hard time figuring that out so far. I tend to err on the side of caution and stop if I have pain just because I don't really yet know how to tell the difference between good pain and bad pain. When I really start ramping up the distances for longer events, I will probably have to learn how to work through the pain a little more, but for now the caution is ok.

2007-02-10 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I like TJ's use of the words "performance pain" vs "injury pain". I have been fortunate to have had the former rather than the latter. Being able to differentiate between the two is the key.

Scotty asked about hitting the wall in an HIM. I have done one and never really hit the wall, but I was very sluggish about mile 3 or 4 into the run and I think it was related to being a bit light on the nutrition coming off the bike. I started shooting some gels and drinking more and it really made a difference. Finished the second half strong. Read my RR for the IronStar HIM for details.

Mandy, you've got a month to go, so there's plenty of time to be ready for your half mary. Following a structured training schedule is always a challenge. I'm fortunate to have the demands of children behind me. You'll do fine and good luck with it all.

I have a pic of my bike in my album, but haven't quite mastered the skill of posting it into a thread. I'll figure it out one day.
2007-02-14 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

scottymack - 2007-02-09 12:32 PM  speaking of mental...looking at the HIM this year was curious when "the wall" kicks in...similar to mile 18 for the marathon. any thoughts or is it dependent on your success with nutrition.

Scott,

Good question.  I guess first we have to define what it means to 'hit the wall'.  I always think of hitting the wall as similar to bonking....running out of fuel; your body is depleted of glycogen; light headedness; feeling like you can't go on; negative thoughts.

Obviously, hitting the wall is related to your nutrition; specifically nutrition on the bike.  I have had minor battles with the wall during the run.  Usually a Gu or two gets me out of that funk.  It's important to practice your on the bike nutrition.  Last summer I went through several different nutrition practice sessions.  For example, I once tried a super concentrated Perpetuem bottle.  This bottle contained about 800 calories.  The plan was to sip the Perpetuem and drink water with it to dilute the Perpetuem in my stomach.  Well, the concentrated Perpetuem tasted so nasty once it got hot that I couldn't drink it.  So I abandoned that idea.  I stuck with mixing the Perpetuem at regular strength. 

It's also important to find something that gets you over the wall.  For me it's Espresso Gu.  It contains a bunch of cafienne.  At mile 70 or 80 of the bike in IM I down one or two of these.  For some reason mile 70-80 becomes really hard for me; mostly mental.  Then on the run at about mile 18 of the run I have more Espresso Gu.  Find what works for you.  I know some people who love Skittles at these times others love chocolate covered coffee beans (I'm going to try these). 

TJ

2007-02-23 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
It's a little after the fact, but I finally got my bike pic resized for posting.

It's an '05 model I bought in Jan of '06 and snagged a killer deal. I bought the Easton Tempest II wheels off eBay awhile back and just mounted them about 3 weeks ago.

(Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike.jpg (79KB - 32 downloads)
2007-02-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: #700831

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice bike.  Specialized is opening bike shops now.  They only sell Specialized bikes.  One just opened in Houston.

TJ

2007-02-25 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hey Group,

Something for discussion and perhaps help for me.  I had a great plan to focus on running during the winter.  But, I over did it in January and ended up with a sore piriformis muscle.  Anyway, that is recovering.  But now I have to revise my trianing plan. 

As I was revising my plan, I started thinking about the different training strategies.  This is what I've gathered from my reading and researching.  I'll describe them below. 

1. The Joe Friel method - work on your limiters.  Running is my weakest sport, thus the run focused plan I had.
  2. The Norman Stadler method - Become very efficient and strong on the bike thus saving lots of energy to run strong. 

I always subscribed to the Joe Friel method, but lately I've had one 6 time Ironman and one tri coach suggest the Norman Stadler method.  They both suggested developing a plan to become a very good cyclist and save energy for the run. 

Any ideas on which is better?  How are you planning your training?

TJ

2007-02-25 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
An interesting question/issue. Without having read about either method; is it possible to do both? No doubt, each has its merits.

Swimming is my limiter and therefore I consider my swim training to be my priority. I have improved a lot in a year, but it's safe to say, I'll never be a 1:30 swimmer. In shorter distance races, being 30 seconds slower per hundred is not going make a huge difference in your total time if you are strong on the bike and run.

Most conventional wisdom in triathlon points towards being strong on the bike because that's where the most time can be gained, especially in HIM and longer.

Fortunately, I have a decent bike and run, and have seen some incremental improvements. Swimming is still my weak element, but I'm excited about repeating my sprint races this year because I'm expecting faster race times due to my concentrating on training for everything.

To date, I haven't laid out my whole training plan for the season because my first tri isn't until April 29th. It will become critical to have a good plan(s) once the seaon gets going because I have a pretty full schedule of races.

I will certainly read more about the training theories and probably use portions of both.
2007-02-26 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
My daughters ear dr has completed over 10 IM's, with a sub 10hr performance. He is 44 I believe and both he and I have discussed the sport quite a bit. He use to put in alot of running miles and always had injury. Over the last few years he still runs, but has reduced the mileage... less is more. Running is just really hard on the body and the long mileage can take a toll. I really enjoy running but have thought about giving the "bike" method a go as well. Oh, by the way my daughters Dr had his best IM finish last year using the bike method. I don't know alot about the method but I would think that he run would have to have a specfic approach to get the most out of your run sessions.

This is a very good topic. I will check into more information as well and see what I can find.
2007-02-27 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Another close friend of mind takes the cycling approach and is a good runner. I have discussed the topic with him. He takes the approach of 1 long/endurance run per week, and the remainder of the runs are transition runs/shorter length runs (4:36 HIM is his personal best). He will put in minimum of 4 bike sessions a week. We use to have similiar speed on the bike, I guess he can now put about 10-15 minutes on me at the HIM bike distance. (runs around 1:35 - 1:40) after this bike time at HIM distance)
He is of the same mindset that he has issues when he racks up to many run miles.
2007-02-27 4:18 PM
in reply to: #704794

Hingham, MA
AHHHH - 7 days in the Caymans and back on the BT....good to be re-connected! I got some OWS training in which was nice not having to make turns!

on the latest topic - I am tackling the run section the same way after my IT Band prob in late 2005. Less is more....I am trying to log some LSD weekly and supplement with some speed work.

one topic to think about ....I am trying to see if "Yasso 800s" may help for a HIM. Basically if you train your track work for 800s that is your expected marathon time. I need to see how this may translate into the 13.1 run leg. Total skunkworks here but any feedback if welcome...

Scott

Edited by scottymack 2007-02-27 4:18 PM
2007-02-28 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Interesting stuff.  If one does decide to go with the improve cycling strategy, do you increase the duration of the rides or the frequency of the rides?  When I did the first draft of my plan I increased the duration of my long rides.  But, now I'm thinking that I should increase the frequency of my cycling workouts instead of longer rides.  Afterall, if my long ride peaks at 70 miles, I don't think riding 90 miles will help a 56 mile HIM leg.

being 30 seconds slower per hundred is not going make a huge difference in your total time if you are strong on the bike and run.

This is so true and you'll not have wasted so much energy.  My masters swim coach had us do this workout: swim 300 at race pace; 1' rest; swim 300 counting strokes, try to minimize strokes per length; 1' rest; then swim 300 race pace but maintain the strokes per length deteremined in the previous swim.  I swam ~ 20 strokes/25 m.  I tried to swim the last 300 at 20 spl and race pace.  The last 300 was about 20 seconds slower than the first 300 where I just swam hard without counting strokes.  But, the last 300 was much less intense and I wasn't as tired after as the first 300.  Giving up the 20 seconds was worth the energy saved.

Most conventional wisdom in triathlon points towards being strong on the bike because that's where the most time can be gained, especially in HIM and longer.

Yes, that's true.  But, don't underestimate the run.  In my experience, if you race smart, you will pass many, many people in the last 3-4 miles of a HIM run and the last 6 miles of an IM run.  Gaining 15 minutes on the bike can be wiped out very quickly with a bad run.  I guess it's all about balance.  As Gordo says: It's not about who goes the fastest, it's about who slows down the least.

TJ

2007-02-28 4:15 PM
in reply to: #705406

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Glad you're back.  I bet the Caymans was fun.

I like track work.  Last year I did one day per week of track (as per the plan).  I would guess that Yasso 800s would help your HIM run time.  But, I think you could probably run a faster pace than the marathon pace predicted by the Yassos.  Just a guess though.

TJ

2007-02-28 4:26 PM
in reply to: #706789

Hingham, MA
TJ et al- I agree with your approach that frequent saddle time is better than longer rides. It also supports the thesis that training faster will make you a better racer...

Since I have time constraints I strive to train faster...I am hoping my "less is more" approach works. we will see...

On my track work I am trying to see what modifications I can make for a proper translation. My half marathon pace has been about 1:38:00 the last couple of years with moderate training (read B-school and never ran over 10 miles. I am not sure how this will translate at the HIM so we will see. kind of a beta test for me this year. I will let you know how it goes.

Scott
2007-03-02 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Hey folks, how about a new subject?

Swimming.

Not so much all the dozens of technical details, but specifically, I was wondering what the opinions are about using "aids"; hand paddles, fins, pull buoys, & kick boards.

A year and half ago I had to learn how to swim from scratch and could barely thrash 50 yards continuously. Early on I used paddles and fins as aids, but I felt like they gave me a false sense of speed and success, and I stopped using them. Played around with a kick board and buoy some. I've read pros & cons about about virtually everything, even the experts are divided.

Nowadays, I use nothing, but have been considering using paddles to strenghten the shoulders and upper body, and a board to work on my kick. If I used them, it would be in the form of drills and not extended swims.

Ideas? Comments?
2007-03-02 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
I use paddles for some strength, but it helps with technique of your stroke. I have TYR paddles and one of drills I do is I dont put the wrist wrap portion on. What this does is when your hand enters the water and you begin your stroke, if your hand is in the right position it should not slip off your hand. After doing this multiple times you should get a feel for how your hand enters the water and during the pull phase. Pull buoy, again is good device for stroke technique, but I use mine mainly for recovery sets, ie. if i do a hard 300m, 500m, etc and then have 100m recovery i will use this to help.
I use to only do long sets of steady pace swimming and it does have it's benefits, but what i noticed was i kind of reached a peak for my swim time. Drills increased my techinique and strength.
2007-03-02 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Here's the newest triathlete in the family.

Edited by jpb0009 2007-03-02 9:00 AM

(ZP6LCSS8DJF254L9-K73PN.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ZP6LCSS8DJF254L9-K73PN.jpg (16KB - 54 downloads)

2007-03-02 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Go easy on him, you don't want him to peak too soon.

Congratulations, fine looking son.
2007-03-02 4:13 PM
in reply to: #708749

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Wow.  That is a great picture.  I think he's going to be a GQ model.  How'd you get him to stay in that pose?

Congratulations.

TJ

2007-03-02 4:17 PM
in reply to: #709585

User image

Expert
That was all my wife. I was at work and she emailed me the pictures. Couldn't help but post the picture.
2007-03-02 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I have all the pool toys also.  I use the paddles for strength sets.  I use the pull bouy for recovery sets during long workouts (4000-5000 m); swim 500, pull 200, swim 500, etc. 

I don't like the kick board.  I feel it puts my body into the wrong position for swimming.  We don't swim with our head and shoulders out of the water.  I usually do kick sets without a kick board.  I kick with my hands out front and my body flat on the surface of the water - in a swim position.  When I need to breath I use a skulling motion with my hands and lift my head; or I roll to one side or the other.  Sometimes I alternate kicking on my stomach and kicking on my back.  I have a pathetically weak kick.  That is something I need to work on.

I rarely use fins.

When I do use the pool toys, it's usually for only one or two sets. 

TJ

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10