BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1099732

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Open
milaminute - 2007-12-13 10:16 AM

sparco - 2007-12-13 10:46 AM  Mila, if you or anyone has used perceived effort, please chime in...

Sorry... my last post wasn't particularly clear with regard to the term perceived effort... also known as RPE (rate of perceived exertion).  When I mentioned that in zone two you could comfortably hold a conversation and could do it for a long time, those are RPE "cues".  Keep in mind that there are several different approaches to heart rate zone training that vary slightly from one another and that my RPE descriptors go along with my philosophy.

Z1... not much more effort than eating popcorn on the couch.  You could do this all day long.
Z2... you can comfortably hold a converstaion here, depending on your fitness level, could comfortably sustain this for 60 minutes to... well, let's just say 16 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds .  Z2 sometimes feels awkward... as if you body is saying "c'mon already" but you're trying to keep it reined in.
Z3... you feel it, you know you're working, you're sweating, but you can get through it.  You are not breathless but as you get higher up in this zone you reach a point where you could hold a conversation if you had to but you don't really want to.  Five words at a time or so is about all you feel like saying.
Z4... it's tough to breathe, your jaw drops (your body is trying to get more oxygen in), 1-2 words is all you can say.  Your muscles might burn.  Depending on your fitness level, you could stay here for as little as 1-2 minutes or you could possibly run a 5K here...
Z5... Z5 is only doable for a very short amount of time.  This is your all out effort.  It's like going to your in-laws... you know you gotta go but you don't want to stay for long.  If you were to try to sustain Z5 you would hit the wall, puke, etc.  Good times, good times.

Like I said... this is my methodology... and I happen to teach it to group X and personal trainers for a pretty well known company... so I do believe it has a lot of merit... but there are variations on the theme so please feel welcome to chime in with your own RPE methodology!

Mila, LOVE the descriptions!  Nice break between meetings.  I CAN NOT WAIT until December 21st!

2007-12-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1099791

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-13 11:34 AM

Mila, LOVE the descriptions!  Nice break between meetings.  I CAN NOT WAIT until December 21st!

That's why I get paid the big bucks, Sal .  Heh.

Just one more thing... RPE is great if you are just trying to learn about heart rate zones, you don't have a heart rate monitor (HRM) or you have a HRM but you don't really know your specific zones.

However, I would really encourage people to find out more about their HR zones.  There are a variety of ways to do this including LT (lactic treshold tests), Metabolic Assessment Profiles, VO2 peak/max tests, etc. to get more specific data.

2007-12-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1099396

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed
Hi Pilot,

I will give a go since I do prefer cycling to the other 2 . . . but of all the things you can do for yourself on the bike the BEST suggestion would be to have somebody (that knows what they are doing) do a bike fit!

If your shoulders are dipping, it could be a seating / handlebar issue, lack of core strength etc, rule out the physical problems by working on the hardware first! You LBS should be able to help you out with a correct fit.

Corey

2007-12-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1100094

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Lwoodtri - 2007-12-13 1:30 PM Hi Pilot, I will give a go since I do prefer cycling to the other 2 . . . but of all the things you can do for yourself on the bike the BEST suggestion would be to have somebody (that knows what they are doing) do a bike fit! If your shoulders are dipping, it could be a seating / handlebar issue, lack of core strength etc, rule out the physical problems by working on the hardware first! You LBS should be able to help you out with a correct fit. Corey

Well said, Corey!

Having your bike professionally fit is money well spent.  By the way... sometimes when you purchase a bike they will "fit" you on it... meaning they figure out what size you need and may make minor adjustments to the seat and handlebar height.  However, there is a huge difference between this and a professional fitting.  So sometimes when you think you've had a fitting you really haven't.  Let us know if you need more information about that, Pilot.  You want to go to a smaller LBS for this service as opposed to someplace like Performance. 

2007-12-13 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1098890

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
milaminute - 2007-12-12 10:30 PM

gygyhawk - 2007-12-12 9:44 PM I'd like to join the group.  I am in need of some motivation and accountability. 

Welcome, Gygy!  Please tell us about yourself and goals and we'll do what we can to keep you motivated and accountable .

NAME: gygyhawk/GyGy (G.G.)
STORY: I don’t come from a competitive athletic background.  I started running about 7 yrs. ago, but stopped when I was pregnant with my kids.  Last Jan. I decided it was time to get back in shape.  Knowing that having a goal would motivate me, I decided to do a triathlon and found BT.  I did my first sprint distance tri last June.  I am going back to school to get my second degree in Nursing, awaiting acceptance into a program (very competitive).  School has been taking up a lot of time lately and I’ve let staying in shape take a back seat.  I managed to keep up running this Fall and finished my first ½ mary.  I miss the swimming and cycling (mostly indoor – the road scares me).
FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married forever (13 yrs.) and my husband is into more extreme sports like snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing, & rock climbing (things that I’m not coordinated enough to do, or that scare me).  J  He tries to join my training sometimes, but I think it bores him.  Our daughter is a 5 yo. Kindergartener, and our son is an almost 3 yo. Pre-schooler.  I am a stay at home mom, who ironically is hardly ever at home.  My big challenge is trying to find balance in my life with all of my goals and responsibilities. 
CURRENT TRAINING: Not much lately.  I’ll probably start a BT program, to give me some direction.
2007 RACES: Sprint distance tri, 5K, ½ mary
2008 RACES: I don’t know, I’m flying by the seat of my pants.  Most of the triathlons around here conflict with my school plans.  I’d like to at least do one tri in 2008, but I’m not sure which one.  I think I’m going to take my chances if they sell out, and get on waiting lists.  But, I’d like to maintain a base that will allow me to complete the race if the opportunity presents itself.  I am planning on running about 7 races as part of a local series. 
WEIGHTLOSS: I’d love to get back to my pre-baby weight, which is about 10-15 lbs. less.  I was close back in August (5 lbs. away), but a week of vacation, and lack of exercise for 3 months, blew it out of the water, so back to square one.   
What I hope to get out of the group?  I was in a mentor group last year and it really helped me stay motivated and inspired.  It is great to be able to get advice and learn from others’ experiences, while (most importantly) keeping a sense of humor. 

Edited by gygyhawk 2007-12-13 1:25 PM
2007-12-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1100177

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
gygyhawk - 2007-12-13 2:04 PM
milaminute - 2007-12-12 10:30 PM

gygyhawk - 2007-12-12 9:44 PM I'd like to join the group.  I am in need of some motivation and accountability. 

Welcome, Gygy!  Please tell us about yourself and goals and we'll do what we can to keep you motivated and accountable .

I am a stay at home mom, who ironically is hardly ever at home. 

Ya know... ain't it the truth??? 

I don’t know, I’m flying by the seat of my pants.  Most of the triathlons around here conflict with my school plans.  I’d like to at least do one tri in 2008, but I’m not sure which one.  I think I’m going to take my chances if they sell out, and get on waiting lists.  But, I’d like to maintain a base that will allow me to complete the race if the opportunity presents itself.  I am planning on running about 7 races as part of a local series. 

Wow... that's a lot in and of itself!  I understand about the scheduling thing... it's not always so simple to plan ahead.  I've always maintained that if someone could put on a race at like 10:00 on a Tuesday morning I'd be first in line to register .

2007-12-13 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Elite
San Diego

I would have loved to join this group, as I have little to no motivation these days. But I see I am too late and I'm sure Mila with her cold little heart won't let me join.

Oh well, I will just have to lurk around get my motivation through osmosis

You all are very lucky to have Mila and Sparco as mentors, you will do well if you listen to them!

2007-12-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1099628

User image

Regular
Kentucky

sparco - 2007-12-13 10:46 AM
milaminute - 2007-12-13 9:32 AM

..... I'll stop by your blog tonight and hopefully give you some recommendations for workouts or training.

Awesome. You'll see I have a quazi plan posted; that is 7 week 10k plan that I found at a running web site. It only lists times and miles to work in. No HR or PRE goals. I find I just go wing it. Sometimes I go slower other times I'll work in sprints. Since I am a slower runner and have a hard time enjoying the run I really want every minute I am running to be paying dividends. I really don't have a race at the end of the plan. I just left that on there as a motivator.

Edited by crouse 2007-12-13 2:41 PM
2007-12-13 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1100354

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
madcow - 2007-12-13 3:09 PM

I would have loved to join this group, as I have little to no motivation these days. But I see I am too late and I'm sure Mila with her cold little heart won't let me join.

Oh well, I will just have to lurk around get my motivation through osmosis

You all are very lucky to have Mila and Sparco as mentors, you will do well if you listen to them!

Ummmm.  Hi.  Tom?  Yes, you are right, I, with my cold, evil heart wouldn't let you join but here's the thing.  Sparco SPECIFICALLY told me that if anyone who has completed a double freakin' ironman wants to join after we close the thread we would have to allow it. 

You are welcome anytime, you know, according to Sparco and all... .

Edited by milaminute 2007-12-13 2:57 PM
2007-12-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1100334

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

milaminute - 2007-12-13 3:02 PM Wow... that's a lot in and of itself!  I understand about the scheduling thing... it's not always so simple to plan ahead.  I've always maintained that if someone could put on a race at like 10:00 on a Tuesday morning I'd be first in line to register .

Ditto.  The only time I'm up before the sun is for crying children or race day.  LOL

2007-12-13 5:40 PM

User image

A. Sal, I've tried a few of the BT plans, and since they assume equal ability in all three arenas, they haven't really worked for me. My membership expires in a few days not sure what to do. I'm getting a "run analysis" done tomorrow so should have a base of where to spring and leap forward in a most pleasant gazelle like fashion with the run.

One of my biggest issues I noticed, is that I tend to talk myself out of running. For ex. last night, I planned to do 3 miles, but by the time I got to 1.5 I was like "ok, I'm done." I know I should be building base, burning calories etc but my mind seems to be in control.

B. Mila, that is an AWESOME explanation for the zones!

C. Hi everyone, stay away from these or not, they look kinda good!:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2007-12-13 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1100471

User image

Master
Utah

milaminute - 2007-12-13 3:02 PM Wow... that's a lot in and of itself!  I understand about the scheduling thing... it's not always so simple to plan ahead.  I've always maintained that if someone could put on a race at like 10:00 on a Tuesday morning I'd be first in line to register .

Ditto.  The only time I'm up before the sun is for crying children or race day.  LOL

2007-12-13 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1100471

User image

Master
Utah

Me too! Well, except for masters swim practices--only once so far, but it was kinda nice once I was up and moving.

2007-12-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1099473

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
crouse - 2007-12-13 8:38 AM

I think I have over read stuff and am overwhelmed so if you can help me walk through this I would REALLY appreciate it. 

My immediate goal is a sub 1-hour 10K; the furthest I have run this year is 5miles (50 minutes).  I feel I can run 10 minute miles with moderate exertion.  I can do a 5k in around 28 minutes. So my race pace is a little over 9 minute miles?  Given that can you help me with a weekly workout?  I do want to learn the HR method, but I think my current monitor is broken.

Hi Craig.  I trained for my 1st marathon using a program from Runner's World.  Here's a program for a 10K.  It's 3 times running per week, with an optional 4th day.  Let me know what you think.  How far out is your race?

2007-12-13 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Utah
I have a question. I haven't upgraded my membership yet, and when I look at the training plans that are available to me now, it seems like I'm already several weeks or months into the training, but the progression is either too slow from there, or too fast. I can't make it to the gym more than a couple times a week this month, and I probably won't be able to make it on most if not all weekends anyways. Any ideas how I can modify the plans for me, or add in the RPE or HR to the plans that go by minutes of exercise rather than distance?
2007-12-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1100862

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

redlv - 2007-12-13 5:40 PM A. Sal, I've tried a few of the BT plans, and since they assume equal ability in all three arenas, they haven't really worked for me. My membership expires in a few days not sure what to do. I'm getting a "run analysis" done tomorrow so should have a base of where to spring and leap forward in a most pleasant gazelle like fashion with the run. One of my biggest issues I noticed, is that I tend to talk myself out of running. For ex. last night, I planned to do 3 miles, but by the time I got to 1.5 I was like "ok, I'm done." I know I should be building base, burning calories etc but my mind seems to be in control. B. Mila, that is an AWESOME explanation for the zones! C. Hi everyone, stay away from these or not, they look kinda good!: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hey Kara.  Shhhhhhh...what we did for Mila was a blend of programs.  We put her on a sprint tri training program, but also worked in higher bike miles for her HIM distance race.

In your case, we can blend a sprint tri with an Ironman swim program, so you'd be doing training for your 3 mile swim, and at the same time get some beginning running in.  Let me know.  If you decide to renew Gold (actually renewing with Silver will work) I can help you work through a program and download it into your blog.  Just give me the race dates and distances, i.e., swim 3 miles on (date), sprint tri on (date).

2007-12-13 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Utah
So do you think I'd be able to stay on track (read: injury free) to do a sprint tri over memorial day weekend 2008? My local tri club is hosting one 5/31/08 that is a 400 yard (pool) swim, 11 mile bike, and 5 k run. The pool swim sounds better to me than an OWS, plus its only 400 yards. What do you guys think?
2007-12-13 8:00 PM
in reply to: #1101066

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

givemashot - 2007-12-13 7:54 PM So do you think I'd be able to stay on track (read: injury free) to do a sprint tri over memorial day weekend 2008? My local tri club is hosting one 5/31/08 that is a 400 yard (pool) swim, 11 mile bike, and 5 k run. The pool swim sounds better to me than an OWS, plus its only 400 yards. What do you guys think?

Absolutely Amy!!!  Most sprint training programs are typically only 12 weeks.  You've got plenty of time.  You'll be ready.  The winter maintenance program has you working out between 4 and 7 hours a week.  It's a Silver Member option, but I could give you a few details.

Do you have any races happening before then?

2007-12-13 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Utah

I was just perusing the local tri club's website and found an article about training plans for beginners vs "pre-beginners". Here's an excerpt that totally fits me, and made me laugh:

But what if you were a competitive swimmer in your youth? Swimming is the hardest of the three activities to pick up because it is the most technical. Becoming an expert runner is a bit like becoming an expert house painter. You get the knack of it pretty easily, and then it's just a matter of doing the work and whether or not God and your parents imbued you with a strong back. Becoming an expert swimmer is not like painting a house. It's more like painting a canvas. Yes, it's a matter of practice, but you can't simply grunt and sweat your way to fitness. There is an element of technique that just takes time to master.

If this is you––if you already have the swimming more or less mastered from a technical point of view––then in keeping with the metaphor we'll call you a growth stock, and your time for growth will start now. Your current problem has nothing to do with drowning in the water, it's just that you're just a fat, disgusting, out-of-shape, wheezing, pitiable slob. In this case our job just got a lot easier. We can put you on the accelerated plan., AKA the "
Not-quite-beginner training schedule."

Not quite as funny out of context, but yeah. the article delves into workout plans from there.

2007-12-13 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1101066

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

givemashot - 2007-12-13 8:54 PM So do you think I'd be able to stay on track (read: injury free) to do a sprint tri over memorial day weekend 2008? My local tri club is hosting one 5/31/08 that is a 400 yard (pool) swim, 11 mile bike, and 5 k run. The pool swim sounds better to me than an OWS, plus its only 400 yards. What do you guys think?

Yup, that is more than doable!!!  It's a great goal.  You have more than enough time to train and it's not a distance that is overwhelming while you have so many other things on your plate.

2007-12-13 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1101072

User image

Master
Utah
sparco - 2007-12-13 7:00 PM

givemashot - 2007-12-13 7:54 PM So do you think I'd be able to stay on track (read: injury free) to do a sprint tri over memorial day weekend 2008? My local tri club is hosting one 5/31/08 that is a 400 yard (pool) swim, 11 mile bike, and 5 k run. The pool swim sounds better to me than an OWS, plus its only 400 yards. What do you guys think?

Absolutely Amy!!!  Most sprint training programs are typically only 12 weeks.  You've got plenty of time.  You'll be ready.  The winter maintenance program has you working out between 4 and 7 hours a week.  It's a Silver Member option, but I could give you a few details.

Do you have any races happening before then?

um, races? You mean like where I actually, um, race? Nope. I'm sure there are some around here, though, if you think it would be a good idea. Remember I'm about as green as they come. Before my ankle issue last month I was planning on entering the Salt Lake City 5k in the spring.

2007-12-13 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1100862

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

redlv - 2007-12-13 6:40 PM A. Sal, I've tried a few of the BT plans, and since they assume equal ability in all three arenas, they haven't really worked for me. My membership expires in a few days not sure what to do. I'm getting a "run analysis" done tomorrow so should have a base of where to spring and leap forward in a most pleasant gazelle like fashion with the run. One of my biggest issues I noticed, is that I tend to talk myself out of running. For ex. last night, I planned to do 3 miles, but by the time I got to 1.5 I was like "ok, I'm done." I know I should be building base, burning calories etc but my mind seems to be in control.

When you hit that 1.5 how do you feel physically... are you feeling tired/drained/out of breath or is it that you just aren't into it?  If it's the latter, maybe you can just try to set smaller goals... even if it's to get through .25 or .5 miles at a time.  I frequently will be running for 16 minutes and decide I've had enough... but then realize I'm really close to 20.  I play stupid games like that with myself all the time but they seem to work.  Incidentally, there are a lot of .25 miles in 13.1 miles... just think of all the small victories you could celebrate along the way!!! 

B. Mila, that is an AWESOME explanation for the zones!

Thanks, Kara, you know, I am a licensed professional and all... I even have a jacket that says MASTER instructor on it.  I try not to wear it in public too much, though, you know, 'cause I'm so intimidating and all .

C. Hi everyone, stay away from these or not, they look kinda good!

Ummmm... yeah, no, not so much for me with the cookies and bacon... and is that gravy??? 

2007-12-13 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1101040

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

givemashot - 2007-12-13 8:19 PM I have a question. I haven't upgraded my membership yet, and when I look at the training plans that are available to me now, it seems like I'm already several weeks or months into the training, but the progression is either too slow from there, or too fast. I can't make it to the gym more than a couple times a week this month, and I probably won't be able to make it on most if not all weekends anyways. Any ideas how I can modify the plans for me, or add in the RPE or HR to the plans that go by minutes of exercise rather than distance?

You can certainly modify the plans to make them work for you.  I think you will find that a silver membership is helpful because it includes training minutes, training specifics (like drills) and also HR training info.   You can then look through the options and find the one that best meets your needs (or modify to meet your needs).

OK, so you can't get to the gym... that means swimming is the tough one to get done.  Can you run outside?  Do you have a trainer that you can use to get your rides in?  That would be a great investment for you.  I'm sure I already mentioned it but I like my trainer because it's the only way I get to watch t.v. ever!

For me, scheduling is tough and I had to have my arm twisted many times to upload my plan into my blog because my compulsive nature wasn't too keen on seeing that on this and such a date I was supposed to do X, Y, and Z but Exhibit A had a concert that day and my other kid was sick so I did a whole lotta nothing.  However, I have come to embrace it (but please do NOT tell Sal... also, don't tell him that I still don't have a lap counter on my watch, I'm hoping he gets me one for Christmas though).  I have found that I can usually juggle the workouts around my schedule enough to git'r'done and I'm trying to learn to forgive myself when I can't.  You are not going to lose a huge amount of fitness over a few missed workouts.  I do often train early in the morning and sometimes later at night than I'd like to... but I think that just comes with the territory and you'll see that the beginner plans are very reasonable in terms of the time committment.

Edited by milaminute 2007-12-13 8:38 PM
2007-12-14 4:35 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Good morning everyone... you're all up, right??!!

I'm on my way out the door for some ST and later I'm supposed to go evaluate a spin class.  I might try to swim today, too, if I have the time.  I have a client meeting this afternoon and I have got to get some shopping done.

What's on tap for you training-wise (or otherwise) today? 

2007-12-14 5:04 AM
in reply to: #1101403

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-14 4:35 AM

Good morning everyone... you're all up, right??!!

I'm on my way out the door for some ST and later I'm supposed to go evaluate a spin class.  I might try to swim today, too, if I have the time.  I have a client meeting this afternoon and I have got to get some shopping done.

What's on tap for you training-wise (or otherwise) today? 

(I answer every question Mila has...it's a requirement)

Gonna try and catch up on the swim I missed yesterday.  It's like the movie 'Groundhog Day.'  My day will be exactly the same as yesterday.  Update pre-trial documents.  Meetings all day. 

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55