BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-10-25 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Yanti, crossing threads, but thanks for your confidence in my ability to do an iron-distance swim!  lol  I don't have much confidence in my swim ability right now at all, truth be told, which is I think why I basically haven't been in the pool since i did the race back in May.  I think I was scared more than I realized by the way I flailed through that swim.  Oy.

I do have to brag to the Manatees about my swim buddy, though.  Back in Jan of last year when I started swimming, I met here on BT  a gal who was getting back into the pool after a long absence in hopes of racing iron distance, and was looking for a swimming partner at our local Y.  I was so intimiadated by the thought of me, fat, outta shape me, trying to keep up with an accomplished marathoner and cyclist.  Thank God it was in the pool!  Anyway, she turned out to be a great training partner -- it's easy to train with someone who has a different ability in two lanes in the pool, but we really got each other started, and she pushed me hard and I like to think I pushed her a little bit too.  She turned out to be a fabulous triathlon mentor, and has become a friend, too.  And this weekend, she accomplished her dream of completing an iron distance race.  Except she didn't just complete it, she absolutely rocked it!  She was the 5th place woman overall at the Great Floridian Ultra.  And I am so dang proud, I had to share!  Big props to KC (KCinTampa here on BT).

2010-10-25 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3170552

User image

Melon Presser
dinabean - 2010-10-26 12:35 AM Yanti, crossing threads, but thanks for your confidence in my ability to do an iron-distance swim!  lol  I don't have much confidence in my swim ability right now at all, truth be told, which is I think why I basically haven't been in the pool since i did the race back in May.  I think I was scared more than I realized by the way I flailed through that swim.  Oy.

I do have to brag to the Manatees about my swim buddy, though.  Back in Jan of last year when I started swimming, I met here on BT  a gal who was getting back into the pool after a long absence in hopes of racing iron distance, and was looking for a swimming partner at our local Y.  I was so intimiadated by the thought of me, fat, outta shape me, trying to keep up with an accomplished marathoner and cyclist.  Thank God it was in the pool!  Anyway, she turned out to be a great training partner -- it's easy to train with someone who has a different ability in two lanes in the pool, but we really got each other started, and she pushed me hard and I like to think I pushed her a little bit too.  She turned out to be a fabulous triathlon mentor, and has become a friend, too.  And this weekend, she accomplished her dream of completing an iron distance race.  Except she didn't just complete it, she absolutely rocked it!  She was the 5th place woman overall at the Great Floridian Ultra.  And I am so dang proud, I had to share!  Big props to KC (KCinTampa here on BT).

See, you DO have the swim ability, it really just is the confidence! Hmmm ... now only to find someone who'd be willing to take me up on that bet with all HIS money

HOT DIGGITY DOG to KC!!!!! 5th OA is just insane. Don't forget the part you played in that!

2010-10-25 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Dineen - You do rock.  Never set your expectations for yourself based on others. 

I didn't say this in the other thread for fear of being flogged, but why should I be impressed by a guy who takes our sport so lightly that he did it with no training and finished faster than a lot of people here would even after training for years?  IMO it's mocking those of us who work so hard for the minute gains we accomplish.  I'm not impressed by him at all.  I'm astounded and speechless when I see all the men and women on these boards who get up off their couches and make a decision to change their lives by getting active and becoming fit.  Those are the people that I will cheer for and encourage and tip my hat to because they're doing things they never believed were possible.  They are the superstars of triathlon.  That includes you even if you never finish an Ironman.
2010-10-25 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I've now seen the chiropractor 3x and she says my ankle is 50-60% healed.  She was impressed by my self-diagnosis and even more that I got in to see her before it became a serious problem.  She let me do 3 miles over the weekend which didn't stop the healing progress so I'm not cleared to run every other day this week up to 4 miles and I have the go ahead to do the 5k with Ellie on Saturday.  It's just a good thing she runs slower than me

So now I'm trying to figure out a plan that will get me to the HM next month ready to go.  If I can do 4 runs the next two week then 5 each week until November 27th, how long are those runs going to need to be? 
2010-10-25 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3170868

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-10-25 11:20 AM Dineen - You do rock.  Never set your expectations for yourself based on others. 

I didn't say this in the other thread for fear of being flogged, but why should I be impressed by a guy who takes our sport so lightly that he did it with no training and finished faster than a lot of people here would even after training for years?  IMO it's mocking those of us who work so hard for the minute gains we accomplish.  I'm not impressed by him at all.  I'm astounded and speechless when I see all the men and women on these boards who get up off their couches and make a decision to change their lives by getting active and becoming fit.  Those are the people that I will cheer for and encourage and tip my hat to because they're doing things they never believed were possible.  They are the superstars of triathlon.  That includes you even if you never finish an Ironman.

BRAVO, Allison!! Well said. Not sure what "other" thread you're referring to because I don't venture out among the sharks too much.

2010-10-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3170931

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-10-25 11:44 AM I've now seen the chiropractor 3x and she says my ankle is 50-60% healed.  She was impressed by my self-diagnosis and even more that I got in to see her before it became a serious problem.  She let me do 3 miles over the weekend which didn't stop the healing progress so I'm not cleared to run every other day this week up to 4 miles and I have the go ahead to do the 5k with Ellie on Saturday.  It's just a good thing she runs slower than me

So now I'm trying to figure out a plan that will get me to the HM next month ready to go.  If I can do 4 runs the next two week then 5 each week until November 27th, how long are those runs going to need to be? 

Very glad you got to see a Dr. and have a plan with runs leading up to the 5K.  Yanti may have something, but I just read an article about jumping back into training after injury. It was written mostly for the full marathon, but you could use the same basic strategy which was the long run is the most important run so make sure you get that in once a week. I think the longest run I did before my first HM was 10 miles. I always figured I could walk if I needed to. I would be careful about any striders or speed or interval work and focus on feeling strong and getting the long run in, remember not increasing by more than 10% per week to avoid further or aggravating the injury. If I see or think of anything else I'll add later gotta get to work right now.

2010-10-26 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all,

I've been reading, but no time to post.  Went to Albuquerque on Friday morning and got back last night, exhausted.  My FIL got married and DD was the flower girl.  ABQ is just heartbreakingly beautiful...the wedding was held at The Tamaya Hayatt...it's kind of half way between ABQ and Santa Fe...got one nice run in on the dirt trails around the resort...it was quite a treat for this urban runner!  Here's a couple of pix...

2010-10-26 1:11 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Welcome back Q!!!

Ah, wish I'd known--one of my I-owe-her-my-life BFFs lives in ABQ. Good runner too. Ran most of our first marathon together. In any case the city was full of goooooood vibes with both of you there.
2010-10-26 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi everyone!  Remember me?
I realize that this mentor time is almost over, but I just wanted you all to know that I am still here!!  The end of my summer got crazy.  After our vacation, my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, but she is now doing great and finishes her treatment on Wednesday!  I haven't really had much else on my mind, and I have quickly regressed to couch potato!!  What do you do to get back on track?  I am signed up for a HM in May, so hoping to be good for that.  I had thought about a HIM in September, but I think I will wait and see how my winter goes.  I guess that is a long way off yet!  I could never get caught up with everyone, so I will just say that I hope everyone is doing well!

Karen
2010-10-26 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3173406

User image

Melon Presser
gadgetlaw - 2010-10-27 3:37 AM Hi everyone!  Remember me?
I realize that this mentor time is almost over, but I just wanted you all to know that I am still here!!  The end of my summer got crazy.  After our vacation, my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, but she is now doing great and finishes her treatment on Wednesday!  I haven't really had much else on my mind, and I have quickly regressed to couch potato!!  What do you do to get back on track?  I am signed up for a HM in May, so hoping to be good for that.  I had thought about a HIM in September, but I think I will wait and see how my winter goes.  I guess that is a long way off yet!  I could never get caught up with everyone, so I will just say that I hope everyone is doing well!

Karen

Hi Karen! Welcome back! Wonderful to hear about your mom's progress. I will pray for her and your family!

This group of Manatees plans to stick around for a while yet, so no worries. Several of us have had quite some adventures--all of us, actually. I'm pretty much couch potatoed, too, although like you not so much by choice. My first scheduled stuff is in May as well.
2010-10-26 2:59 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Oh and QQQQQQQQQQQQ ... you MUST post those pics in BTers and families, or just yourself in BT Girls, or any. You are a heartthrob. My girl crush is back in full. Your BabyDaddy is one fine daddy. And your spawn are JUST LIKE YOU!

2010-10-26 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3173406

User image

Master
Vista, CA

gadgetlaw - 2010-10-26 12:37 PM Hi everyone!  Remember me?

Karen

Welcome back Karen! Best wishes to your mom for a very speedy and full recovery. I say just jump into the training as you can and it's great to have goals (races) to help you accomplish that.

2010-10-27 12:00 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Karen, please pass my healing wishes to your mother.   Welcome back...we HAVE been busy here!  I vote you sign up for a spring race and go from there!!!  Let us know!
2010-10-27 12:06 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yanti,

thanks so much for the kind words...I am glad to wallow in any compliments that come my way...I would love to meet your friend in ABQ sometime...we are out there at least once a year and if I had my way, we'd make it permanent.  LOVE IT out there.  If anyone wants to friend me on FB you can see the landscape pix from the wedding.  Quincys in Chicago are not too hard to find...

You earthquaking at all?  Sounds like things are dicey there.  Hope you're ok..

2010-10-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3174209

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-10-26 10:06 PM Yanti,

thanks so much for the kind words...I am glad to wallow in any compliments that come my way...I would love to meet your friend in ABQ sometime...we are out there at least once a year and if I had my way, we'd make it permanent.  LOVE IT out there.  If anyone wants to friend me on FB you can see the landscape pix from the wedding.  Quincys in Chicago are not too hard to find...

You earthquaking at all?  Sounds like things are dicey there.  Hope you're ok..

Very "handsome" family, Q. Sure it's not just a magazine ad? Wallow away!

And, Chicago area peeps--are you all okay? Don't get blown away with all that wind.

2010-10-27 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3174822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Still here.  Haven't been outside in a couple days.  The family got struck by the stomach flu and it hasn't been pretty.  In fact, it's so ugly we might not have to dress up for Halloween to go as zombie monsters.  Blech!

Anyway, we're recovering but even with the doc's permission to run I haven't been out since Sunday.  I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to do this HM in 31 days.  I just don't have the mileage and I don't want to register for something knowing that I'm going to walk the last several miles.

So I've started looking further off for other races.  Sadly this is the last HM of the year in our area.  I did find a race in Milwaukee in January that I'm considering.  It's an indoor half marathon doing 47.7 laps on a 443 meter track.  They run two races back to back and limit each field to 120 runners.  The first race has a time limit of 2 hours, anyone not done by then is cleared off so they can start the next race.  The second race has a 3 hours limit which I know I can do. 

I hate making decisions!

2010-10-27 6:07 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Oh NO Allison! I'm really sorry I hope you guys are better soon ... blech!

Sounds like a good plan on the half mary. The nice thing is if you do a bare minimum of running, you don't lose the fitness.
2010-10-29 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Happy Friday everyone! 

Allison - I hope your family is on the mend.  The only silver lining in a stomach bug is the weight loss
2010-10-29 1:31 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi Carla!

How are you? Weekend plans?
2010-10-29 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oh this is weird, I missed the last few posts...usually you guys are allowed into my email, but I guess you've been thrown out...off to reset that.

Stand by for the 2010 pix of the amandas...daddy has a new wig which more closely approximates my hair.  We are all about authenticity.  I mean after correcting for the fact that one of the twins doesn't really have real "twins."  Har har.  

I have been on a workout strike.  I mean NOTHING.  I think I needed to slack off for a couple of days.  Feels good.  Except that it feels sluggish.  I cannot believe I am just going to go out and do a HM on Sunday.  I am an idiot!

Allison, I am SO sorry to hear about the stomach flu...nothing worse for a family...sooner or later, everyone has the "dual nozzle failure" if ya get my drift.  Ick. We've been lucky so far, but I know it's inevitable.  

We DID get flu shots today, I especially enjoyed holding my daughter down so the poor tech could give her a shot.  She's usually so cooperative, but I think all the halloween candy from school (that I let her eat because I felt bad about making her get a shot) made her CRAZY.  The boy just screamed from start to finish...he HATED the CVS pharmacy and wanted to leave right away, but really, who doesn't???

2010-10-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3185718

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-10-29 7:36 PM Oh this is weird, I missed the last few posts...usually you guys are allowed into my email, but I guess you've been thrown out...off to reset that.

Stand by for the 2010 pix of the amandas...daddy has a new wig which more closely approximates my hair.  We are all about authenticity.  I mean after correcting for the fact that one of the twins doesn't really have real "twins."  Har har.  

I have been on a workout strike.  I mean NOTHING.  I think I needed to slack off for a couple of days.  Feels good.  Except that it feels sluggish.  I cannot believe I am just going to go out and do a HM on Sunday.  I am an idiot!

Allison, I am SO sorry to hear about the stomach flu...nothing worse for a family...sooner or later, everyone has the "dual nozzle failure" if ya get my drift.  Ick. We've been lucky so far, but I know it's inevitable.  

We DID get flu shots today, I especially enjoyed holding my daughter down so the poor tech could give her a shot.  She's usually so cooperative, but I think all the halloween candy from school (that I let her eat because I felt bad about making her get a shot) made her CRAZY.  The boy just screamed from start to finish...he HATED the CVS pharmacy and wanted to leave right away, but really, who doesn't???

Not sure why we get "voted off the island" from time to time with the updates of the thread, but that's happened to me, too. Looking forward to your photos.

Hope the flu is over for your family A, and that the flu shots work their magic for yours, Q.

Happy HIM tomorrow! Also, Happy Halloween everyone!

Edited by lmscozz 2010-10-30 12:27 PM

2010-10-31 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Happy Halloween.  I'm the last man (woman) standing in our house tonight and getting ready to crash after our crazy weekend but wanted to post my race report from yesterday.  Nothing too exciting as it wasn't really my race, but a race I did with/for my unappreciative whelp daughter.

Halloween Hustle 5k
2010-10-31 11:34 PM
in reply to: #3187912

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-11-01 11:11 AM Happy Halloween.  I'm the last man (woman) standing in our house tonight and getting ready to crash after our crazy weekend but wanted to post my race report from yesterday.  Nothing too exciting as it wasn't really my race, but a race I did with/for my unappreciative whelp daughter.

Halloween Hustle 5k

What is it with the Manatees and HIGH-larious race reports???

WAY TO GO ALLISON!

So where's Quincy? She still alive?
2010-11-01 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Loved the RR, Allison!  I laughed out loud a couple of times!

2010-11-01 12:34 PM

User image

Master

Ohhhhh    Quuuuuuu-uuuuuuu, where are you???  Can't wait to read your RR!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60