General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-05-13 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4207608

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread
DzdNconfzD - 2012-05-13 8:27 PM

Well, it's finally happened to me too. I'm usually very calm and collected (even before big races) but I'm FREAKIN' OUT now! My girlfriend's out of town this weekend and I finished my training today at 9 o'clock this morning. Spent the rest of the day stressing over every little detail. Will they take the giant oversized bike box on the airplane; will it get damaged or lost in transit, will I have enough time for everything, will I make it to all the mandatory check-ins/drop-offs/meeting (which I would prefer to do everything at once! not keep coming back for this or that), was my training enough, will I go out too fast, will I get swam over and kicked at the start, will I get sunburned - bad, will I have a mechanical on the bike, will I have GI problems on the run, will I.... you get the idea. Those last two are my biggest fears.

This is my first one and I've (we've) sacrificed so much to get where we are; I just want all that to be worth it, ya know?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some BTers out there. I don't know anybody racing but have two (non-tri) friends from Galvaston (where we're staying) and my girl who just did her first HIM last weekend coming with me. We should be able to make the welcome dinner but I may sleep in through the swim. I may not be able to sleep at all so we'll see.

Good luck everybody! $h!T just got real!

Relax and have trust in your training. Sure something crazy "may" happen but don't borrow trouble. We've busted our tails to get to the start line, now is the time to have some FUN! Relax, your golden.

2012-05-13 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3517225

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Wishing all the IMTX Moms a wonderful Mother's Day. I hope it was at least half as awesome as this Saturday is going to be.
2012-05-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4207608

User image

The Woodlands, TX
DzdNconfzD - 2012-05-13 7:27 PM

Well, it's finally happened to me too. I'm usually very calm and collected (even before big races) but I'm FREAKIN' OUT now! My girlfriend's out of town this weekend and I finished my training today at 9 o'clock this morning. Spent the rest of the day stressing over every little detail. Will they take the giant oversized bike box on the airplane; will it get damaged or lost in transit, will I have enough time for everything, will I make it to all the mandatory check-ins/drop-offs/meeting (which I would prefer to do everything at once! not keep coming back for this or that), was my training enough, will I go out too fast, will I get swam over and kicked at the start, will I get sunburned - bad, will I have a mechanical on the bike, will I have GI problems on the run, will I.... you get the idea. Those last two are my biggest fears.

This is my first one and I've (we've) sacrificed so much to get where we are; I just want all that to be worth it, ya know?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some BTers out there. I don't know anybody racing but have two (non-tri) friends from Galvaston (where we're staying) and my girl who just did her first HIM last weekend coming with me. We should be able to make the welcome dinner but I may sleep in through the swim. I may not be able to sleep at all so we'll see.

Good luck everybody! $h!T just got real!

Deep breaths....you will be fine. You have trained for this. You ARE ready! Many of the things you mentioned you can prepare for and prevent. You are in control. For instance, sunburn - wear Desoto wings, or put lots of sunscreen on in transition and in special needs bags. Mechanical issues, make sure you are comfortable with your bike and changing a tire. Make sure it's tuned and ready to go. Make your goal to practice your nutrition just as you did in training, don't try anything new on the course. If you still have GI issues, deal with it then. I am a control freak, but I have learned I waste for too much energy worrying about things that I can't control and that probably will never happen and it steals the joy of the journey. I started freaking out a few weeks ago and decided then that I just was not going to allow myself to do it. This is my one time shot at IM and I AM going to be excited and I AM going to enjoy the journey. I will write out my race report very detailed and follow it to a T. That is all I can do. Now I may start freaking out as I put my bike in transition and before the swim and you have my permission to lecture me! LOL But try to enjoy this wonderful experience that so few get to do!
2012-05-14 7:04 AM

User image

New user
Vienna, Austria
@ windforecast

According to windfinder forecast the northwind should change on thursday to south - fr and sa then southwind. I also think that n-wind could be more tough.

Btw: thx , i could solve my bikeproblem with some tools that i could borrow.

Rgds, erwin
2012-05-14 7:09 AM

I've ridden the course a lot and I agree with the assessment that a south wind is better.  On the first half, it's impossible to maintain the speed you want even with a tailwind.  The false flats on that part are going to get into a lot of people's heads who don't realize that the way back is mostly easy even with a headwind.  Hard to explain but you will understand when you are on the course.

2012-05-14 8:49 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I forgot what it feels like not to be tired or have to drink caffeine all day. I can not wait to test the race wheels I rented. 808/disc better feel better and be faster than my 5 year old open pro with disc cover!

2012-05-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4208005

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
12ozcurl - 2012-05-14 7:09 AM

I've ridden the course a lot and I agree with the assessment that a south wind is better.  On the first half, it's impossible to maintain the speed you want even with a tailwind.  The false flats on that part are going to get into a lot of people's heads who don't realize that the way back is mostly easy even with a headwind.  Hard to explain but you will understand when you are on the course.

I rode the course. All 112 miles of it. Mind you, we had 30 mph gusts that day, but going back was not easy. There was chipseal, hills, and a strong headwind just about the entire way. At one point it took me 25 minutes to go 5 miles. I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but if we have a South wind, it will be easy on the way out and we will work it on the way back. The first half we had a great tailwind and we cruised 18-20 mph without barely trying. Then we turned into the headwind and worked hard.

Here is a good write up on the course:

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/ironman-texas-bike-cour...

Overall: The Course Can Be Fast
Despite the conditions and terrain, everyone at our Tri Rally rode well within their expectations. In fact, most were able to back up their Friday 90-mile ride time with alomst the same time for another 90-miler on Saturday, despite tired legs. Yes the rollers are tough, but there’s no one “killer” part of the race that stands out. I fully expect the top contenders to fly through this course, and the sooner you can get off the bike the less time you have to bake in the sun for sure.
Here’s how it all breaks down.

The Conditions: Hot, Humid, and oh yeah — Windy!
The course is innocent enough from an elevation perspective, but you truly have to be here to appreciate exactly how the course unfolds. Guaranteed you might show up talking about the course, but you’ll leave talking about just how hot, humid, and windy the course was. Even though our camp was in the first weeked of April, temperatures still reached the low 90s with significant humidity — May will only raise this to another level.

Part One: T1 to Richards
The first part of the bike course, almost to the halfway point, is going to be pretty fast. There is usually a steady wind from the South, making this a slight tailwind. Add to that the fact there are minimal hills and good tree coverage and you’ll be out to Richards long before you think. A highlight of this part of your day is the short trip down Osborn road, a windy forest-filled adventure that’s pure joy.

Given the impending heat and potential disastrous effects on your ability to race, the early portion of your day should be solely focused on riding steady and starting your nutrition and hydration plans. If the humidity is high, as it will most likely be, then you’ll be sweating a ton and drinking will be second nature.

Part Two: Richards to Rte 105/Dobbin
Just before Richards you hit the first chip seal pavement of the day, and while not long it’s a precursor of what you’ll face on the other side of town until you pretty much exit Grimes County. The race adds a degree of difficulty by putting some pretty solid rollers and false flats in your way.

All that and only then do you turn South to begin the long trip home with a solid headwind. Without a doubt, the approximately 20 mile trip from Richards to Rte 105 in Dobbin will be the hardest of your whole day.

Part Three: Jackson Road to Dobbin Huffsmith
While you are heading out of Dobbin, you aren’t exactly out of the woods yet. A few more rolllers await you before you start truly dropping down en route to The Woodlands. The winds will be in full effect here, but are somewhat tempered by the elevation loss.
If you are fatigued here, you’ll suffer but your average speed should still be pretty good. As we learned during our Tri Rally weekend, the trip along Dobbin Huffsmith seems way longer than just short of six miles. While each mile seems more developed, it doesn’t seem to move any faster.

The remainder of your ride is admin time home…flat, shoulders of big highways, nothing special. If you aren’t totally cooked by the time you get here, you should be able to cruise in to T2 as well as start putting your mind to the marathon.
With little less than eight weeks to go to race day, it’s time for you to begin preparing for the heat and for staying as aero as possible for as long as possible — this course will reward both! Good luck with your training and be sure to stop by our Friday pre-race talk on race execution.

2012-05-14 9:15 AM

New user

Hey everybody... I was part of the melee that was IM St. George last weekend (5 May) and WTC was nice enough to get me into Texas without the Foundation fee. Coming from Dallas so it should be a short weekend. Attempting to swim in a Tsunami and told by the swim director to get out of the water followed by being allowed to "unofficially" ride the couse (of course missing the cutoff due to 40mph winds while climbing a mountain) made for an interesting "first" ironman experience. So, im calling a mulligan here for Woodlands this weekend. Any nerves I may have had I managed to leave them in Utah. From what I have heard from friends that did IMTX last year the swim is a cake-walk. The canal basically pulls you to the finish. BUT, thats just what I heard, dont take it as gospel. All I know is after trying to swim over white caps and 6-8 foot swells this will be welcome...dirty water or not. Hoping everyone has a ton of fun (including me).
2012-05-14 9:16 AM

User image

New user

Does anybody have any insider information on PARKING?  The parking map in the Athletes Guide is ridiculous.  If you park at Parking Garages 1 or 2, it's quite a haul...across the lake...to the swim start.  There IS an "Event Parking 1" that is closer to the swim start but then Tranistion is all the way back across the lake.  Looks like "Parking Garage 4" would be closest to Transition.Cry

http://ironmantexas.com/files/2011/04/Parking-Map_TX20112.pdf

2012-05-14 9:39 AM

@KSH - I was at that same ride and I agree it was tough getting back.  30mph winds are going to be tough any way you look at it.  However, if I had a choice for 30mph winds out of the north or south on that course, I would take them out of the south anyday due to the net downhill vs net uphill.  I was able to find several areas on the way back where I was shielded from the headwind anyways (ie FM1488, Jackson road, etc).  The only place a headwind from the south will really get you is the 10 miles after Richards.
2012-05-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4208323

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
kilogulg - 2012-05-14 10:16 AM

Does anybody have any insider information on PARKING?  The parking map in the Athletes Guide is ridiculous.  If you park at Parking Garages 1 or 2, it's quite a haul...across the lake...to the swim start.  There IS an "Event Parking 1" that is closer to the swim start but then Tranistion is all the way back across the lake.  Looks like "Parking Garage 4" would be closest to Transition.Cry

I'm going to wait and look at the parking for myself on Wednesday.  I'll be traveling without a support crew and I need to get right back in the car after the race and drive away.  But as of right now I'll be parking in 2, 3, or 4 and finding some nice person to walk with to the swim start or catch a ride.  That reminds me that i need to buy a pair of throw away flip flops to leave at the swim start.

2012-05-14 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
All finished packing. Kind of different since half my stuff left a few days ago. Can't wait.
2012-05-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4208425

User image

New user

Yikes....no support crew.  It's funny how we can go 140.6 miles, but 140.7 or more and I'm a whiny baby.  I was hoping they had powered wheelchairs for rent, the kind like Stephen Hawking where you can just blink your eyes or steer it with the straw in your mouth. Tongue out
2012-05-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4208372

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

12ozcurl - 2012-05-14 9:39 AM @KSH - I was at that same ride and I agree it was tough getting back.  30mph winds are going to be tough any way you look at it.  However, if I had a choice for 30mph winds out of the north or south on that course, I would take them out of the south anyday due to the net downhill vs net uphill.  I was able to find several areas on the way back where I was shielded from the headwind anyways (ie FM1488, Jackson road, etc).  The only place a headwind from the south will really get you is the 10 miles after Richards.

The weather is going to be what it is on race day, but I do get a laugh out of watching it change from day to day .. not too bad .... high of 88, SSE winds 7-12 ... I think the quote was brilliant sunshine !! LOL ....

I am at work, but I have mentally checked out!! Massage session this evening, then one more day of work, pack, and leave Wedneday morning! Looking forward to getting there and just getting settled in and hoefully relax for a few days before the guns goes off.

2012-05-14 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I have ironman brain.  I can't wait to leave.
2012-05-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4208321

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
brijarj - 2012-05-14 9:15 AM

Hey everybody... I was part of the melee that was IM St. George last weekend (5 May) and WTC was nice enough to get me into Texas without the Foundation fee. Coming from Dallas so it should be a short weekend. Attempting to swim in a Tsunami and told by the swim director to get out of the water followed by being allowed to "unofficially" ride the couse (of course missing the cutoff due to 40mph winds while climbing a mountain) made for an interesting "first" ironman experience. So, im calling a mulligan here for Woodlands this weekend. Any nerves I may have had I managed to leave them in Utah. From what I have heard from friends that did IMTX last year the swim is a cake-walk. The canal basically pulls you to the finish. BUT, thats just what I heard, dont take it as gospel. All I know is after trying to swim over white caps and 6-8 foot swells this will be welcome...dirty water or not. Hoping everyone has a ton of fun (including me).

Welcome! That's nice you get to do IMTX!

2012-05-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4208425

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
papson14 - 2012-05-14 10:01 AM

kilogulg - 2012-05-14 10:16 AM

I'm going to wait and look at the parking for myself on Wednesday.  I'll be traveling without a support crew and I need to get right back in the car after the race and drive away.  But as of right now I'll be parking in 2, 3, or 4 and finding some nice person to walk with to the swim start or catch a ride.  That reminds me that i need to buy a pair of throw away flip flops to leave at the swim start.

Yeah, a member of my support crew CANNOT walk from parking garages 2, 3, or 4, over to the swim start and back. She can't even walk 0.25 of a mile.

So I'm going to have them drop me at transition and they can wait in the car (so they don't have to park). Then I'm going to hop in the car and have us all go over to parking garage 1. Then once the swim starts, they can move the car to parking garages 2, 3, or 4.

And to think, I got a hotel close to the venue to avoid parking!

Maybe the distance isn't as FAR as it looks on a map? But the distance from transition to the swim start looks FAR.

2012-05-14 1:00 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
The walk over was not bad last year. We walk along the first part of the run course and I remember seeing a few porta cans along the way with no lines. I made the mistake of waiting until I was body marked to get inline for the bathroom. I suggest you do not make this mistake or you could be stuck on land when the gun goes off
2012-05-14 2:38 PM

User image

New user
Vienna, Austria
Hi, got another problem i left the uploading cable for my garmin forerunner 910 in europe.

Where can i get those. I tried sports academy, best buy and fry electronics.

Will there be a garmin "store" on the ironman expo?

Thx, erwin
2012-05-14 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4209074

Erwin - if you can't find one I have an extra one you can use.  The only issue is getting it to you and back from you after the race (I live down in the center of Houston).  I am going to be heading up for check-in on Wednesday at lunch and then I won't be back to the Woodlands until the end of bike check on Friday.  After the race you could probably just mail it to me before you leave the US.
2012-05-14 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

Depending on how fast you are, it's a 10-15 minute walk from transition to the swim start. It's shorter than the walk at IM-Louisville.

Event Parking 1 is not a garage, it's the large lot of the Hewitt & Associates office building across the street from North Shore Park. I'll probably have my wife drop me off to service the bike on Race Day, then have her park in EP#1. I'll stash my pump & stuff in the car there to keep from having to deal with it after the race.

Edited by g_shotts 2012-05-14 3:44 PM

2012-05-14 3:58 PM

User image

New user
Vienna, Austria
Guess its really hard to buy it. For the case somebody would have a forerunner 310xt or 910 it would be great if i could borrow the uploading cable for a few hours.

A drink or dinner would be rewarded

Thx, erwin
2012-05-14 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Just reading these posts make me think.....woohoo
2012-05-14 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4208255

KSH - 2012-05-14 8:54 AM
12ozcurl - 2012-05-14 7:09 AM

I rode the course. All 112 miles of it. Mind you, we had 30 mph gusts that day, but going back was not easy. There was chipseal, hills, and a strong headwind just about the entire way. At one point it took me 25 minutes to go 5 miles. I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but if we have a South wind, it will be easy on the way out and we will work it on the way back. The first half we had a great tailwind and we cruised 18-20 mph without barely trying. Then we turned into the headwind and worked hard. Here is a good write up on the course: http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/ironman-texas-bike-cour... Overall: The Course Can Be Fast Despite the conditions and terrain, everyone at our Tri Rally rode well within their expectations. In fact, most were able to back up their Friday 90-mile ride time with alomst the same time for another 90-miler on Saturday, despite tired legs. Yes the rollers are tough, but there’s no one “killer” part of the race that stands out. I fully expect the top contenders to fly through this course, and the sooner you can get off the bike the less time you have to bake in the sun for sure. Here’s how it all breaks down. The Conditions: Hot, Humid, and oh yeah — Windy! The course is innocent enough from an elevation perspective, but you truly have to be here to appreciate exactly how the course unfolds. Guaranteed you might show up talking about the course, but you’ll leave talking about just how hot, humid, and windy the course was. Even though our camp was in the first weeked of April, temperatures still reached the low 90s with significant humidity — May will only raise this to another level. Part One: T1 to Richards The first part of the bike course, almost to the halfway point, is going to be pretty fast. There is usually a steady wind from the South, making this a slight tailwind. Add to that the fact there are minimal hills and good tree coverage and you’ll be out to Richards long before you think. A highlight of this part of your day is the short trip down Osborn road, a windy forest-filled adventure that’s pure joy. Given the impending heat and potential disastrous effects on your ability to race, the early portion of your day should be solely focused on riding steady and starting your nutrition and hydration plans. If the humidity is high, as it will most likely be, then you’ll be sweating a ton and drinking will be second nature. Part Two: Richards to Rte 105/Dobbin Just before Richards you hit the first chip seal pavement of the day, and while not long it’s a precursor of what you’ll face on the other side of town until you pretty much exit Grimes County. The race adds a degree of difficulty by putting some pretty solid rollers and false flats in your way. All that and only then do you turn South to begin the long trip home with a solid headwind. Without a doubt, the approximately 20 mile trip from Richards to Rte 105 in Dobbin will be the hardest of your whole day. Part Three: Jackson Road to Dobbin Huffsmith While you are heading out of Dobbin, you aren’t exactly out of the woods yet. A few more rolllers await you before you start truly dropping down en route to The Woodlands. The winds will be in full effect here, but are somewhat tempered by the elevation loss. If you are fatigued here, you’ll suffer but your average speed should still be pretty good. As we learned during our Tri Rally weekend, the trip along Dobbin Huffsmith seems way longer than just short of six miles. While each mile seems more developed, it doesn’t seem to move any faster. The remainder of your ride is admin time home…flat, shoulders of big highways, nothing special. If you aren’t totally cooked by the time you get here, you should be able to cruise in to T2 as well as start putting your mind to the marathon. With little less than eight weeks to go to race day, it’s time for you to begin preparing for the heat and for staying as aero as possible for as long as possible — this course will reward both! Good luck with your training and be sure to stop by our Friday pre-race talk on race execution.

I rode that day as well and while I agree it was a tough one coming in those winds were not normal and the only time we get those winds are when the atmosphere here is cooler.  Hopefully (and I know this will make people think I am crazy) it will be warm race day and slightly on the humid side. it will keep the winds down.  if we could replicate last year we will be very lucky.  maybe a little cooler on the run.  the false flats going out to Richards are what burns peoples quads out and yeah there is some chip seal on the course but it is pure ecstasy when you hit the Montgomery county line..you feel like you are going instantly 10mph faster and riding on ice. 

2012-05-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4209208

User image

New user
Vienna, Austria
12ozcurl - 2012-05-14 3:21 PM

Erwin - if you can't find one I have an extra one you can use.  The only issue is getting it to you and back from you after the race (I live down in the center of Houston).  I am going to be heading up for check-in on Wednesday at lunch and then I won't be back to the Woodlands until the end of bike check on Friday.  After the race you could probably just mail it to me before you leave the US.

thats great thanks, i didn´t read it before my 2nd post (sent from i-phone).
Send you a pm for meeting etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57