General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-19 10:42 AM
in reply to: dodgersmom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by dodgersmom

Why not just have the powder in the bottle and fill it with fresh water from the aid station?

Just to save a bit of time. With the stop, bottle management and mixing of a concentrated bottle I imagine I'd blow 5 min easy. Not like that is going to make my day or anything but these little stops add up; might as well make things as simple as possible. Pretty sure my place has a freezer so I may just freeze it solid Friday - with thawing etc it should be fine by the time I hit SN on Sunday.

2013-06-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
PrivateIdaho is right...

Bikes, bike gear bike and run gear bag on Saturday...

Sunday, Prior to the swim start, drop your
special needs bags in the designated area near transition, just east of
the Mill Avenue bridges. Do NOT put anything of value in your bike or
run special needs bags. Special needs bags will not always be returned.

Brad

Edited by bradaskins 2013-06-19 10:46 AM
2013-06-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Ah, thanks, I read it as all bags on Sat, if we can keep the SN bags until Sun morning it solves the problem.
2013-06-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
2013-06-19 2:34 PM

User image

New user

Good luck to everyone this weekend! Just remember to relax, race your plan, and don't obsess about what other athletes are doing. I was told to just think of it as a long training day, and long it was!! Don't skimp on your nutrition, and don't get discouraged if your splits are not as fast as you'd like. Feed off the crowd's energy, and enjoy the experience. It was one of the best days of my life!!

Oh, and look for me on the black waverunner, preferably BEFORE you get in the water!! And I'll be catching at the finish line between 9 and Midnight.

HAVE FUN!!!
2013-06-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by spie34
Originally posted by roywidget On our way! Left Ohio on Sunday night, spent last night in the Badlands (which is spectacular). Now in Montana almost to Idaho! Is there a group swim Friday? Anyone set a time yet?
no time set yet....

I know there was talk before to 1. meet to swim 2. drive the bike course 3. go to the athlete dinner 4. go to the athlete meeting As it is now for Friday events 10am-4pm Athelete check-in 5:30pm - 7:30pm Welcome dinner 7:30pm - 830pm Athlete race briefing So perhaps

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

2. drive the bike course -- ~ 3PM

So for others who have done this before, I know on race day I have usually parked in North Idaho College parking lot and not had to worry about tickets etc. But before the event, is that area open to park in? Or where should someone park to go to athlete check-in, the welcome dinner, etc?

My vote would be to do it a little earlier, maybe swim at noon and drive the course at 1pm.  If we drove the course at 3pm, it would probably be after 4pm before we got back and it will be a little tight to go home, change and gather the family for dinner at 5:30.  But, I don't necessarily have to drive the course, unless my vehicle is needed - so whatever works best for everyone.

2013-06-19 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by bradaskins For the Neoprene cap...I put it on with the chin strap, put on my swim cap and then pull the chin strap over and on to the back of my head. I hate the chin strap, I should just cut it off.. Hope that helps. I dropped off my bike and gear bag yesterday at Tri Bike Transport, very nervous about that. I'll be happy when I'm in CdA with all of my stuff.
Thanks for the neoprene cap tip, hadn't thought of that.  I tried it out at home and it seemed to work - I need to try it with a practice swim to make sure it is going to stay on, but it seems like it should work.
2013-06-19 4:55 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Chicago
I'd like to echo this thank you. I tried the same with my cap the other day and it was so much better. Love my DeSotto stuff but the cap constantly felt like too much tension on my neck. This is a great fix wrapping the chin strap up and over.

Out of curiosity anyone else using earplugs? I'm not going to change my strategy on using them as I really like the peacefulness but am curious as to what others are doing..
2013-06-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Originally posted by roywidget On our way! Left Ohio on Sunday night, spent last night in the Badlands (which is spectacular). Now in Montana almost to Idaho! Is there a group swim Friday? Anyone set a time yet?
no time set yet....

I know there was talk before to 1. meet to swim 2. drive the bike course 3. go to the athlete dinner 4. go to the athlete meeting As it is now for Friday events 10am-4pm Athelete check-in 5:30pm - 7:30pm Welcome dinner 7:30pm - 830pm Athlete race briefing So perhaps

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

So for others who have done this before, I know on race day I have usually parked in North Idaho College parking lot and not had to worry about tickets etc. But before the event, is that area open to park in? Or where should someone park to go to athlete check-in, the welcome dinner, etc?

My vote would be to do it a little earlier, maybe swim at noon and drive the course at 1pm.  If we drove the course at 3pm, it would probably be after 4pm before we got back and it will be a little tight to go home, change and gather the family for dinner at 5:30.  But, I don't necessarily have to drive the course, unless my vehicle is needed - so whatever works best for everyone.

I'm planning on being at the baseball field parking lot across the street to the North of City Park at 1:00pm on Friday for anyone wanting to ride along on a bike course tour.  Haven't heard from too many yet so there'll be room for a few more.  Hope everyone is having safe travels.

2013-06-19 5:00 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
I'm glad the cap advice worked for you guys. I discovered this trick while training for Escape From Alcatraz.

I'm using earplugs as I hate to get water in my ears.

I'm carbo loading right now with an Avery IPA, lets rock this Ironman thing!
2013-06-19 5:13 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I work in Kellogg Idaho. Was driving to a meeting and saw athletes from three different states pass me going west on I-90 with Tri bikes. Pretty exciting!

I took Friday off work, so any swim time would be fine. I am planning on going to the dinner so not too late in the afternoon would be better.

2013-06-19 5:19 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Grant, MI
We are planning on using earplugs, but know that you should have a neoprene cap on to ensure they do not fall out. My husband used them for a recent swim without his neoprene cap and lost them. I am thinking that keeping the cold water out of the ears is a good idea.
We have just arrived! Getting close - would be nice if the rain gets out of the system before Sunday.

2013-06-19 5:26 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by Flyboy

no time set yet....

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

I'm planning on being at the baseball field parking lot across the street to the North of City Park at 1:00pm on Friday for anyone wanting to ride along on a bike course tour.  Haven't heard from too many yet so there'll be room for a few more.  Hope everyone is having safe travels.

I think the drive at 1 sounds great. Then the swim. This might be better since riding in my swim suit for an hour in someone else's car sounds not so great, but I'll do whatever the group decides.
I'm checked in and my bike is back in it's normal form not a pile of wheels and stuff crammed into the back of a Tahoe. I'm still planning on going for a short ride. Thanks for the tip I'll try to find the trail and just spin the legs out a bit from the long drive out.
Drove Mica today in the Tahoe and it seemed long, but tolerably steep. I still think bad planning on the first loop could result in a huge problem when you hit it the second and time. Anyone wanna do something Thursday? Like short bike or short slow run?
2013-06-19 5:26 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

no time set yet....

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

I will be there as well at that time as well with room.
2013-06-19 5:42 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Been lurking here and watching the excitement build for all of you that are racing. I'll be in a wetsuit (as a voluteer) at the swim exit, guiding folks out of the water and then again at the med tent from 6pm-midnight.
Best of luck to all of you and congrats on getting to the start line!
2013-06-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
What are you guys/gals eating the night before and morning of the race?

2013-06-19 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MRGIBBS

What are you guys/gals eating the night before and morning of the race?

Bowl of plain oatmeal, a banana, 2 eggo waffles with some all natural strawberry preserves, a gatorade G2 followed by that same bottle full of water and a big cup of joe!

Oh yeah, night before, a small amount of pasta with some grilled chicken.

Edited by smithe68 2013-06-19 6:58 PM
2013-06-19 6:51 PM

User image

Spokane
2 Eggs, 2 pieces of toast, 1 cup of oatmeal with maple syrup and 1 of those toast has strawberry jam on it. then a piece of toast with peanutbutter and honey on the way to the event.

Edit: The night before... prob rice or potatoes or pasta. \

Edited by dkahns51 2013-06-19 6:54 PM
2013-06-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Pb and J toast. a banana and lots of water.
Small amount of chicken, potatoes and broccoli. I'll eat early so it has plenty of time to work it's way down.
Anyone know a decent bike shop in Spokane Valley where I can buy a water bottle? It seems I forgot one.
2013-06-19 7:03 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by maverickbassets

Small amount of chicken, potatoes and broccoli. I'll eat early so it has plenty of time to work it's way down.
Anyone know a decent bike shop in Spokane Valley where I can buy a water bottle? It seems I forgot one.

Just a thought, go to a grocery store and buy a bottle of water with a sipper top, it will be cheaper and when you go through an aid station and grab a new bottle, you can toss it and not care.
2013-06-19 7:42 PM

User image

Regular

there is fitness fanatics off of trent, or you can wait till you get over to cda and there is a bike shop right off of Northwest Blvd in that strip mall area just off the freeway.

2013-06-19 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Night before around 5-6 will eat some chicken with rice.

Morning on race -- 4 packets of instant oatmeal and will be sipping on lightly mixed gatorade. I have found when I mix it full strength it does not sit so well with me.

30 minutes prior to start 1 pb gu with caffeine in it.

This has worked for me in the past so not going to change things up with it.

2013-06-19 7:47 PM

User image

Regular

no time set yet....

1. meet to swim - 2 PM

I think the drive at 1 sounds great. Then the swim. This might be better since riding in my swim suit for an hour in someone else's car sounds not so great, but I'll do whatever the group decides.
I'm checked in and my bike is back in it's normal form not a pile of wheels and stuff crammed into the back of a Tahoe. I'm still planning on going for a short ride. Thanks for the tip I'll try to find the trail and just spin the legs out a bit from the long drive out.
Drove Mica today in the Tahoe and it seemed long, but tolerably steep. I still think bad planning on the first loop could result in a huge problem when you hit it the second and time. Anyone wanna do something Thursday? Like short bike or short slow run?

ok so

1pm drive the course
When we get back go for a swim
5:30 dinner
7:30 athlete meeting
8:30 drink beer j/k That will have to wait till Sunday night.

I did send you a pm about biking tomorrow.
2013-06-19 8:11 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I know a few people that are running with the Flying Irish downtown Spokane at 6pm tomorrow if anyone is interested. Just an easy 3.1 mile loop.
2013-06-19 8:16 PM

User image

Spokane

I dunno about you but broccoli gives me so much gas the next day.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57