BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-31 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Thanks for the words of encouragement Guys! It really does help, and I feel back on track and ready to rock out! 

Having said that I missed my Swim this morning due to the 35 minutes of shoveling required to get out of my driveway!  Can I count shoveling towards the 30/31. I am going to try and head to the gym for a brick tonight, but we will see if that happens or not.

Been pretty consistent with the Yoga and I completed the initial pushup test with a humbling 12 Pushups! ahhh well it only goes up right.

Again guys, thank you for the encouraging words...best group ever!!!

2013-01-31 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4602918

User image

Veteran
Dallas
justinfss - 2013-01-31 11:27 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Guys! It really does help, and I feel back on track and ready to rock out! 

Having said that I missed my Swim this morning due to the 35 minutes of shoveling required to get out of my driveway!  Can I count shoveling towards the 30/31. I am going to try and head to the gym for a brick tonight, but we will see if that happens or not.

Been pretty consistent with the Yoga and I completed the initial pushup test with a humbling 12 Pushups! ahhh well it only goes up right.

Again guys, thank you for the encouraging words...best group ever!!!

from my not so fond memories of shovelling I think that zooms you past the 31/31 challenge.

diet dialed in so far. (eggs/red pepper/onion + yogurt for breakfast, salmon, peppers, hummus for lunch)

New FTP test on trainerroad. Raised my power threshold to 300watts. That is about 50 higher that 2 weeks ago. I think that is mostly related to getting better at the test and maybe some increase in fitness. I left a little on the table last time and I got pretty close to full out this time. The 60 minute test almost did me in.

Sorry about the losses in the group.Frown

Justin, glad you are back you beast!

2013-01-31 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Well I just counted and it is going to be 29 out of 30 for me! (Counting a couple yoga sessions) I am pretty happy with this and I am going to swap out my warm Coor's for a warm Molson67... I am not sure if they have made it down to the states yet, but it is a Molson beer that is only 67 calories. Basically tastes like someone dipped a piece of bread into water for a few seconds.... Maybe not as awful as warm Coor's light, but my Mother and Law left a bunch here and they have been sitting in the closet for 6 months, so in the spirit of saving money for future college tuitions I am going to use what is at hand vs buying new (especially since it is a punishment) . That is, of course, unless I get a workout in here in the next 1:07...... But that doesn't look likely!

Thanks for the Challenge idea Thor!! And the next one, I'm excited about push-ups! Also thanks to all of the BDAS! We are great at motivating! Lets keep it up!
2013-02-01 4:28 AM
in reply to: #4603650

User image

Expert

justinfss - 2013-01-31 9:54 PM Well I just counted and it is going to be 29 out of 30 for me! (Counting a couple yoga sessions) I am pretty happy with this and I am going to swap out my warm Coor's for a warm Molson67... I am not sure if they have made it down to the states yet, but it is a Molson beer that is only 67 calories. Basically tastes like someone dipped a piece of bread into water for a few seconds.... Maybe not as awful as warm Coor's light, but my Mother and Law left a bunch here and they have been sitting in the closet for 6 months, so in the spirit of saving money for future college tuitions I am going to use what is at hand vs buying new (especially since it is a punishment) . That is, of course, unless I get a workout in here in the next 1:07...... But that doesn't look likely!

Thanks for the Challenge idea Thor!! And the next one, I'm excited about push-ups! Also thanks to all of the BDAS! We are great at motivating! Lets keep it up!

Morning Justin - So here I am - icing after my morning yoga session.  I had some time on my hands... SO, I decided to google Molson 67 because I was curious.  Check this out - Coors and Molson merged back in 2007, so that Molson 67 in your hand is litterally the Canadian version of Coors Light!  So, I guess your mother in law doesn't have the best taste when it comes to beer even if her daughter was wise enough to marry you.

Be proud of 29/30 and remember that you had to battle through some pretty difficult back pain to make it happen.  Keep it up - February is going to be even better!

2013-02-01 5:08 AM

User image

Expert

Time to check in on your weekly goals. Hope you are getting close to crossing them off your list... Remember - there's beer to drink this weekend!

• Lose 1 Pound and log food each day Smile After a rough start, I dropped two pounds.  9 to go
  • Start 100 Pushup challenge and get kids involved Smile - still working on the kids though
  • Complete Week Three of Sprint Plan Smile
  • Achieve the 30 in 31 goal Smile 36 /31
  • Yoga 2x, Ice 5x, Stretch 2hours Tongue out Yoga done, need to ice 3x and stretch for 30 minutes
  • Support Fellow BTers Smile

2013-02-01 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Recapping this week and this month:

Total s/b/r:  32, for 31:15, plus right at 10 hours of strength training.  

However, this week has been dragging for me, and the fatigue is setting in.  I started my run this morning and simply didn't have anything, even for a z2 pace.

I think I may be pushing too hard, so at this point I think I am going to make a few changes.  Calorie intake will go up a bit, and I'm going to drop the strength down to two per week, since my s/b/r are making my mid-week strength training mostly a joke anyway.

Now I just need to put it all together in a plan.

2013-02-01 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Well after a tough workout day, I finished with 31/31. Next up the 100 pushup challenge and some fine tuning of my training! First race probably is probably a sprint in May.
2013-02-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4603797

User image

Champion
Calgary
Qua17 - 2013-02-01 3:28 AM

justinfss - 2013-01-31 9:54 PM Well I just counted and it is going to be 29 out of 30 for me! (Counting a couple yoga sessions) I am pretty happy with this and I am going to swap out my warm Coor's for a warm Molson67... I am not sure if they have made it down to the states yet, but it is a Molson beer that is only 67 calories. Basically tastes like someone dipped a piece of bread into water for a few seconds.... Maybe not as awful as warm Coor's light, but my Mother and Law left a bunch here and they have been sitting in the closet for 6 months, so in the spirit of saving money for future college tuitions I am going to use what is at hand vs buying new (especially since it is a punishment) . That is, of course, unless I get a workout in here in the next 1:07...... But that doesn't look likely!

Morning Justin - So here I am - icing after my morning yoga session.  I had some time on my hands... SO, I decided to google Molson 67 because I was curious.  Check this out - Coors and Molson merged back in 2007, so that Molson 67 in your hand is litterally the Canadian version of Coors Light!  So, I guess your mother in law doesn't have the best taste when it comes to beer even if her daughter was wise enough to marry you.

Be proud of 29/30 and remember that you had to battle through some pretty difficult back pain to make it happen.  Keep it up - February is going to be even better!

not sure if that is true as we do have coors light in Canada.  I think.  Although I buy neither molson 67 or coors light.....more research needed.

In related but tastier news, my local beer store now offers a 10 percent discount when you buy 6 singles, so, yay!

2013-02-01 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

as you may recall I was a bit worried about getting into my A race this year, that worry was misplaced as they never had to cap the race, so 100 miles in September here I come again.

3 commutes got me 31/31 for the month.

2013-02-01 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Got a nice walk in today.  The knee appears to be healing rapidly but there is no way I am doing anything before Sunday the 10th to be sure.  I can keep walking and going to the pool.  My bike is here, tuned up, and ready to roll so I will be able to add that into my workouts once the 10th passes.  I could probably ride just fine but all that movement with the knee has me scared so I will wait patiently.  The only drawback to living in paradise is all the pools are outside and if it isn't above 70 they don't open.  I never asked why but all the public pools are like this.  Was going today but the high is 68.  I know, only 2 degrees but they won't budge.  Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.
2013-02-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4604735

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Burd - 2013-02-01 2:00 PM Got a nice walk in today.  The knee appears to be healing rapidly but there is no way I am doing anything before Sunday the 10th to be sure.  I can keep walking and going to the pool.  My bike is here, tuned up, and ready to roll so I will be able to add that into my workouts once the 10th passes.  I could probably ride just fine but all that movement with the knee has me scared so I will wait patiently.  The only drawback to living in paradise is all the pools are outside and if it isn't above 70 they don't open.  I never asked why but all the public pools are like this.  Was going today but the high is 68.  I know, only 2 degrees but they won't budge.  Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.

Good idea to be careful. I would not be scarred of pool running though if it hits 70 degrees.

Too busy today and missed my regular swim session at lunch. I probably need a rest day so I will chill. Kids basketball tonight.

25x2 push ups in. Actually, just got down and did another set after I typed that.... so 75. Did first set with the boys this am.

9 mile run and 38 mile bike this weekend. There will be some beer.

2013-02-01 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4604098

User image

Expert
BigDH - 2013-02-01 9:15 AM

not sure if that is true as we do have coors light in Canada.  I think.  Although I buy neither molson 67 or coors light.....more research needed.

In related but tastier news, my local beer store now offers a 10 percent discount when you buy 6 singles, so, yay!

Here is the info - Molson Coors Beer Co... http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx

I'msorry I didn't mean Molson 67 was Coors Light in a Canadian bottle - I meant that the two beers - Coors Light at Molson 67 were made by the same company...hence what I imagine would be two crappy tasting beers.

However, I find it amusing that the company uses the following phrase to market their products: "What inspires our beer is people like you."  I find that to be a little ironic since What inspires us is crappy beer like yours.

2013-02-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4604735

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-02-01 2:00 PM Got a nice walk in today.  The knee appears to be healing rapidly but there is no way I am doing anything before Sunday the 10th to be sure.  I can keep walking and going to the pool.  My bike is here, tuned up, and ready to roll so I will be able to add that into my workouts once the 10th passes.  I could probably ride just fine but all that movement with the knee has me scared so I will wait patiently.  The only drawback to living in paradise is all the pools are outside and if it isn't above 70 they don't open.  I never asked why but all the public pools are like this.  Was going today but the high is 68.  I know, only 2 degrees but they won't budge.  Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.

I'm know you really want to go swimming but I find something funny in the fact that you are complaining that it's too cold.  Welcome, in some strange way, to our world!  

Glad to hear that you are taking it slow and allowing your knee to heel.  I checked out a few sights on the web and one suggestion I read about was to do some of your walking on a trainer - but ramp up the incline to increase the difficulty.  Might be worth a try.  No matter what you do - just be sure to ice...

2013-02-01 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4604915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-02-01 4:40 PM

I'm know you really want to go swimming but I find something funny in the fact that you are complaining that it's too cold.  Welcome, in some strange way, to our world!  

Glad to hear that you are taking it slow and allowing your knee to heel.  I checked out a few sights on the web and one suggestion I read about was to do some of your walking on a trainer - but ramp up the incline to increase the difficulty.  Might be worth a try.  No matter what you do - just be sure to ice...

I think you were right when you had said it may not have happened at the race but was over training leading up to it.  I was pushing a bit to hard and got hurt.  I need to be thankful that it was extremely minor and gave me a wake up call that I'm not a kid anymore.  When I start back up I am going to go nice and easy with a steady build up.  Lesson learned Surprised

2013-02-01 3:53 PM

User image

Expert

Last night was the monthly meeting of the Beer Club where we try a particular style of beer.  Last night it was beers from Scotland and Ireland.  Here is the list with a few comments:

Guiness Extra Stout - liked it but since it's in a glass bottle there is no nitrogen

Crabbies - beer meets ginger ale... strange but tasty 

Punk IPA - a scottish version of an American IPA... the hints of grapefruit tastes like actualy grapefruit.  I gave this an A

Skull Splitter - Aweful

Old Engine Oil - totally unbalanced

Brooklyn Brewery Dry Irish Stout - and a little chalky... with a finish that just dissapears

Old Chub - Way too malty for me

Blackfriar - Fruity with too much diacidal

Tranquair Jacobite -Fermented in oak barrels and flavored with cooriander...Grade A

Traquair House Ale - Best beer we tried!  A+

Ola Dubh - Aged in scotch barrels - second best beer we tried.  Amazing

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 - A little too whiskey-ish

Thoughts?  Any thing else y'all would like to recommend?

2013-02-01 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Finally quit making excuses and got off my butt and went for a nice jog this afternoon.  Shorts and a t-shirt and almost 70 degrees, how is the snow up in Canada? Tongue out

2013-02-02 5:49 AM
in reply to: #4605067

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

jlangene - 2013-02-01 7:35 PM Finally quit making excuses and got off my butt and went for a nice jog this afternoon.  Shorts and a t-shirt and almost 70 degrees, how is the snow up in Canada? Tongue out

Rub it in!

We monitor the weather as part of my job here and this is definitely the coldest morning I have seen,  

-37.4 degrees Celcius! with Ice crystals falling....yeah ice crystals...that's what happens when it is too cold to snow!

2013-02-02 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4604098

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
BigDH - 2013-02-01 10:15 AM

Like Darren was saying, we do have coor's light here but I just decided to use what we had.... funny thing I was asking my buddy who lives here now but is from Minnesota if there was such thing as just Coor's a non light version, and he said they did have it in the States, I just thought it was weird that we didnt have it here. we just have the light version.

2013-02-02 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4604793

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Qua17 - 2013-02-01 3:41 PM
BigDH - 2013-02-01 9:15 AM

Here is the info - Molson Coors Beer Co... http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx

I'msorry I didn't mean Molson 67 was Coors Light in a Canadian bottle - I meant that the two beers - Coors Light at Molson 67 were made by the same company...hence what I imagine would be two crappy tasting beers.

However, I find it amusing that the company uses the following phrase to market their products: "What inspires our beer is people like you."  I find that to be a little ironic since What inspires us is crappy beer like yours.

hahaha  Too funny!

2013-02-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4604106

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
BigDH - 2013-02-01 7:19 AM

as you may recall I was a bit worried about getting into my A race this year, that worry was misplaced as they never had to cap the race, so 100 miles in September here I come again.

3 commutes got me 31/31 for the month.

This inspires me.  I think after Ironman, Imay  will venture into ultra-running.  You will finish your 100 miler this year, and that is so impressive.  Happy training.

2013-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4603805

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2013-02-01 3:08 AM

Time to check in on your weekly goals. Hope you are getting close to crossing them off your list... Remember - there's beer to drink this weekend!

• Lose 1 Pound and log food each day Smile After a rough start, I dropped two pounds.  9 to go
  • Start 100 Pushup challenge and get kids involved Smile - still working on the kids though
  • Complete Week Three of Sprint Plan Smile
  • Achieve the 30 in 31 goal Smile 36 /31
  • Yoga 2x, Ice 5x, Stretch 2hours Tongue out Yoga done, need to ice 3x and stretch for 30 minutes
  • Support Fellow BTers Smile

Edited to add, Nice work David.  Way to beat the weight down.  How's the sprint plan distances on the body?  Hoping it's causing less issue with your legs.

My week blows.  I made 1 workout, and whole torso is still sore.  I'm thinking it was a good idea to put a few extra weeks into the plan for my race, but hoping to get back on track next week.  I am getting fat and lazy here, and need a good a$$ kicking to get me out the door.  Maybe I could go for a run around the block this afternoon. 

Edited by kevinbe 2013-02-02 12:13 PM

2013-02-02 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Epic fail on diet last night. Tex Mex restaurant. We put the Tex in Mex down here. Yikes.

Made up for it with a 10 mile run at 0400 this am.

I can sum up my run with the following equation:

long run + fewer rest walks + missed foam rolling + initial speed work this week= ?

Let me just say that pool running may be in my future for a while. I think I got my first taste of runner's knee with pain on the lateral component of the knee. My IT bands are very tight. It is one my right. I have never had trouble on my right. Always the left. At least I am balanced.

Bought some local brew that my tri bud's patient brews and some other kinda local brew from Blanco Texas.

2013-02-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4605672

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Bob, that is a wise plan to let that leg heal up prior to adding more running and possibly turning an ache into an injury.

I got back out there so to speak, and did run around the block.  My 13 miler got down graded to a 1 miler. 

Just happy to get out the door again, I was starting to feel sorry for myself, and all sorts of readjustments to my May marathon goal were going through my head.

2 productive thoughts I had were that I could

a) just get to the gym this week and focus on s/b, and short runs from gym

b) short runs from the house if the lower body injury will allow.

gonna see how I feel tomorrow, and come up witha  plan for next week.

On a good life note, in-laws are taking the kids for us and we have a bunch of gift card $ to go out on a kid free date and evening tonight.  May be our last kid-free evening for a while with #3 on the way.  Have reservations at a great local upscale resturaunt.  Hopefully they have a decent brew to try, none of that fruity stuff.

2013-02-02 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Seem's like there's a theme going on here - soreness/injury, big meals . . .

Let me join this club.  Got a nice 1,000 yards in the pool this morning, after bonking hard on yesterday's run.  The fatigue levels have been a bit noticeable lately, so I took Friday and tomorrow off, effectively, and kept today's swim short.  

Monday I'm going to start on trainer road's 11 week novice competitor high volume program, with some easy swims and z2 runs on on two of the off days.  Compared to January, my training should drop down a bit, but I'm looking forward to spending more time on the bike.

Speaking of the bike, I just got back from Performance bike with a new saddle (some jerk tore the old one in the bike room in my apartment) and a new, shorter stem, so some new parts should make my ride a bit more comfy.

Tomorrow's a really busy day for me, which is nice since I won't be working out - Book of Mormon matinee, then a Superbowl party.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, and resting/healing/working as necessary.

-Charles

2013-02-02 7:07 PM

User image

Hello everyone, sorry not on the forum enough. Is the 100 pushup challenge still open to people? I got 4 out of 5 workouts (worked all night and slept in) in this week, but I made up 2 miles of runs before my strength training days.. I ate like crap (no really really really bad) and still still lost .5 lbs. So this week I am committing to the group that I will clean it up and finally get under 230!!!! I also have been getting up between 4:30 and 5 am and going to the gym or my treadmill downstairs. I signed up for the 5k in april, and the Tough Mudder in July. Thanks David for the stretching video link. I looked at it and will be doing it after my runs this week. Good job everyone on last weeks training.

Ian

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97