BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging words about my swim mini victory!

It is great to hear especially from you guys since you are a very experienced group. All of this is so new to me and to hear from you that I am moving in the right direction is very gratifying! Enjoy your evening all!

2013-03-12 9:15 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Up here -- weather is starting to get warm enough to venture outside.  Though the snow has yet to melt so it looks like a frozen wasteland, but actually quite comfortable to run in.    Just got back from a trip "around the block" (5K run) right before sundown -- now able to do it very comfortably and regularly under 30 minutes.  

Headed down to Texas for a day trip this week -- I may try to run outside while there, if only for the sharp contrast in temperature!

We also just say goodbye to the last of a long string of visiting relatives -- the home front should be much calmer over the next couple of months, which should help as I try to reacquaint myself with swimming and biking.

One final note -- I'm now officially signed up for a Half Marathon at the end of May (my first) -- will be good to see all the running pay off!

Scott.

2013-03-13 8:39 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good work Scott! You will be ready for the HM. Just keep up the consistency.

I was up early and on the treadmill so I could get my run in. Swim later and then daughter's soccer game this evening. Lots of activity going on around the house with soccer games, training and Spring yard work. Oh, and we are traveling Friday and Saturday. First race of the season, a sprint, is 2 weeks from Saturday and Galveston 70.3 is the following weekend. Busy time! 

2013-03-13 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

I got in a decent swim today (1500 yds). I was actually able to bring my left arm around, although it was very stiff and sore. I alternated laps between the crawl and breast. I'm just glad I've been able to get even that much accomplished in the last week. Hopefully, by this time next week I'm back to all crawl and with better form (for me, anyway). I followed this up with a progessive 5k.

The weather is looking better for later this week, so I'm hoping to be able to bike ride to work (6.7 miles each way). I haven't been including this as training miles but I do mentally feel like it adds to my overall fitness. It certainly helps with my mental health!

2013-03-13 7:35 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Friends,

I waited for a few days after illness/lawyers/general trouble before posting this, but I think that, realistically, I have to say that while I'm not completely bowing out, you should assume that I'm mostly gone.  I just do not have time to come here, and frankly I feel really awful that some are diligently looking in on me (but thanks!) while I barely have time even to notice.  I will not say that I am gone for good, but I just cannot justify spending more than a tiny amount of time here with so much else going on that -- despite the awesomeness that I find in the good mentor groups on BT -- is more pressing.  I hope to look in sometimes, and I will certainly continue to train (if you are ever in my area, please feel free to get in touch for some training -- my contact info is just a click or two away from my profile) but I will not be checking in regularly, at least for the foreseeable future.

I wish you all the best, in training, tri, and life.

--Michael

2013-03-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4658873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael, sad to see you go, but I totally understand. Good luck with everything else going on, and I might be in touch sometime, if I'm in the area. Thanks for the guidance you've given!

2013-03-13 8:16 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It is 9:15 pm and I still need to get in 90 minutes on the bike. But wait, there's more. If I'm going to get in tomorrow's swim I will need to be up by 4:30. Not sure what is going to happen but something will probably have to give.....

Scheduling all of this stuff is really tough sometimes. But you all knew that already
2013-03-13 8:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-as one of my first mentors I hate to see you go but certainly understand. I appreciate all of the guidance and advice you have provided. You are always welcome here and I hope you will be able to continue to do the things you enjoy while keeping all of the plates spinning. 

Jason-I hear you on the scheduling.

Just got home from daughter's soccer game. I was avble to get my swim in after court but before the soccer game. A bit of a milestone for me...a 4000 yard swim workout. It was the same workout Jason described the other day where there is longer rest with each 5X100 set but the intensity increases. I liked and hated it. Liked that I finished it and hated it while I was doing it. Mainset ended up being 7X(5X100).

Tomorrow is 3400 swim and bike intervals in the evening. Crazy week between training, work and family activities. 

2013-03-14 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Dave-Take it easy on your injury. Be careful not to push yourself too hard and injure it further.

Micheal-I don't know you or know what's going on in your life but whatever it is I hope it works out.

I've been busy and haven't posted much here but I am getting back on track with my training and for the most part feeling better. I'm not doing much right now-just keeping up my swimming and running enough to keep up with my HM training. I haven't biked much since I gave up the Winter Bike Program but maybe will work a little in soon-especially with the weather looking better.

Honestly, part of the reason I don't post much here is because I don't really have a lot of advice to offer. After a few seasons of running and 1 season of triathlon I found myself completely falling apart this winter. I'm still not entirely sure why but I have a few theories-really, it doesn't matter as long as I get back on track and avoid any future issues.

That being said I've come to a decision that may seem counterintuitive. I think I'm going to lower my emphasis on triathlon this summer. I'll swim and bike enough to allow me to jump back into training at some point if I'm ready and maybe if things go well I'll do a late season sprint but I think I'm going to focus on shorter distance running, stregth, flexibility and weight loss. The reason for that is that I kind of skipped over that step and went right into half marathon training a few years ago and never really looked back. The problem is I am truly an abysmal runner and just the act of doing it consistantly for the past 3 years has not made any difference. In fact, I've never really gotten faster (not much) and am slower now that last winter (probably because of my sucky training). Anyways, I'm hoping that taking a step back and focusing on getting stronger will help and maybe by next summer I might be ready to take it to the next level.

I'll stay with the group as long as it keeps going and will check in regularly but probably still won't post often. I really try not to unless I have something helpful to say and given the state of my fitness/training-I obviously don't have this thing down. However, I am following and celebrating all of your victories and I'll continue to post occasional updates to let you know how my training is going. I'm also still planning to finish my April HM-I've already signed up and am using it as a fundraiser.

Hope everyone has a great day and a great weekend!

2013-03-14 8:07 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Michael, As far as I am concerned, every time you post here you add valuable information for all of us. Even a little bit of having you around is very worthwhile. I understand that life has thrown some curve balls at you but keep checking in when you get the chance. I think you know that you are always welcome here.

Nicole, Doing a running focused period sounds like a good plan. I have occasionally thought about going back to just being a runner for a year but I have worked so hard to improve in the water and on the bike that I am afraid to give up those gains. As far as offering advice; this is a very open and welcoming group. You don't need to offer advice to post on here. There are some things I can advise about and some that I can't, but it is nice to get on here and be part of a community of like-minded athletes, even if it is just posting your training for the day.

Randy, I did the 7 x (5 x 100) this morning. Even as the rest interval gets longer, the fatigue just builds and builds and it is so hard to hit those numbers. I have really been struggling in the pool since last week. I hope to turn the corner and get back to my previous numbers soon. Very frustrating!

Hope everyone has a great day of training, working, whatever .......
2013-03-14 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4659251

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Best of luck to you Michael

Good day today  back in the water after 8 days off or so from being sick and having PT appts and dr appts and work and yadda yadda yadda.  Also the snow has finally melted off the trail so next week I plan to run in the afternoons at work on the days I swim.  Trying to step it up a bit!

AND I decided to do that 5K next week to benefit the families and first responders from Sandy Hook.  With 15,000 runners I will probably shuffle along with the group and not be able to run anyway

Have a good day all!

2013-03-14 9:02 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

"Nicole, Doing a running focused period sounds like a good plan. I have occasionally thought about going back to just being a runner for a year but I have worked so hard to improve in the water and on the bike that I am afraid to give up those gains. As far as offering advice; this is a very open and welcoming group. You don't need to offer advice to post on here. There are some things I can advise about and some that I can't, but it is nice to get on here and be part of a community of like-minded athletes, even if it is just posting your training for the day."

Nicole, I second what Jason said above.  I'm sure alot of my posts about family activities or the workout I did are not very interesting to folks. But, sometimes it feels good to know that you are not the only one struggling with schedules, family activities and what happens day to day. In being involved in the mentor program over the last few years some of my most memorable/satisfying moments have come from seeing people hit their goals and achieve what is important to them...whether that is making it from one end of the pool to the other or completing an IM. Do what you enjoy and fits into your life/schedule best. Hope you will keep us posted     

2013-03-14 12:49 PM

User image

Expert

Ditto on what Jason says about Michael.  I always value his inputs/insight/wisdom etc.

Just back from pool for a lunch time swim.  I was in Chicago the last 2 days basically living it up, pigging out and having a blast.  Now that that's out of my system (I think), it's time to get back into the swing of things on this site.  The last few weeks have further driven home to me the fact that I need to strive to live in the now, enjoy life, prioritize those things most important to me,my children and triathlon among them.  I am going to reduce all the extra shifts I've been picking up (up to 8 per month) and spend more time doing whats really important!!

2013-03-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4659752

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Michael, sorry to hear you must go. Definitely will send you a note if I'm in town! Good luck on all of your endeavors and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks for all of your advice and help while I've been here. 

Jim, a good philosophy to live by. Hopefully we all can incorporate some of that into our lives!

Today was my 4th trip to the gym for a strength training session. They've only lasted about 40 minutes on average and I'm going twice a week. So far so good. Last week was horrible since I had the initial Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) that always comes when starting a strength training routine. Powering through my S/B/R sessions was certainly challenging, but all the DOMS is pretty much gone now, so I'll keep up the weights while my body is used to them!

45m bike followed by a 30m brick run tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2013-03-14 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

This has thoroughly discouraged me from ever trying the flying mount/dismount...totally not worth it! 

Warning: Graphic Images!

Link

2013-03-14 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Decision has been made to do Memorial Hermann Galveston 70.3 as an aquabike and then DNF after the bike. My knee/ITB is still not where it needs to be to run 13 miles in 3 weeks or 3 for that matter.

Not an easy decision to make but the right decision long term. Glad I have a wonderful coach who is the voice of reason and who keeps me focused on best long term.

2013-03-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4659866

User image

Master
South Alabama

Catwoman - 2013-03-14 1:48 PM  Glad I have a wonderful coach who is the voice of reason 

You got a new coach?

2013-03-14 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Nah... Same task master wearing his compassionate coaching hat today. Some of us are higher maintenance and need to be handled with care. Plus there has to be one rational person in the coaching relationship. We all know that isn't me. Especially when it comes to being injured.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-03-14 2:52 PM
2013-03-14 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Sorry I have been MIA for several days.  Work has been consuming more time than usual and this arm in a cast has been far more restrictive than I was hoping.

Thanks to Jimmy I have some aerobars on my bike but still getting used to them.  Swimming is OK with the cast but to keep my hands in proper position is quite painful so that is out for a few more weeks.  Then I was running and apparently holding my broken arm funny, which threw off my gait, which caused some serious bursitis in my hip.

All I can do hard right now is a stationary bike.  I feel like i am regressing and it is very discouraging.  Hopefully when I see the doc again in a few weeks I can keep the cast off.  That will only give me two weeks to do whatever I can before my race.

Not much I can do about it right now except complain.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-03-14 3:46 PM
2013-03-14 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4659853

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-03-14 2:43 PM

This has thoroughly discouraged me from ever trying the flying mount/dismount...totally not worth it! 

Link

I went through that thread. Impressive pictures. I have to admit that I can't quite figure out how he managed that kind of epic fall while getting off of the bike.

The flying dismount is pretty darn easy to do and do well. The mount is a little bit harder. I almost never remove my cycling shoes from the bike. Every time I get on I practice getting my feet in to the shoes while pedaling and every time I get off I pull my feet out of the shoes and pedal for the last minute or so of my ride with my feet on top of my shoes and then practice hopping off on the fly. I do this on the trainer (which accounts for most of my riding) and outdoors.

A few minutes watching youtube videos really helps with the mechanics of it.
2013-03-14 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4660144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
wannabefaster - 2013-03-14 4:57 PM
WoodrowCall - 2013-03-14 2:43 PM

Link

I went through that thread. Impressive pictures. I have to admit that I can't quite figure out how he managed that kind of epic fall while getting off of the bike. The flying dismount is pretty darn easy to do and do well. The mount is a little bit harder. I almost never remove my cycling shoes from the bike. Every time I get on I practice getting my feet in to the shoes while pedaling and every time I get off I pull my feet out of the shoes and pedal for the last minute or so of my ride with my feet on top of my shoes and then practice hopping off on the fly. I do this on the trainer (which accounts for most of my riding) and outdoors. A few minutes watching youtube videos really helps with the mechanics of it.

Yeah, when I first opened the thread and saw the photos, I assumed it was a wreck. I couldn't believe that he sustained those kinds of injuries all on his own. Maybe I'll try the flying mount/dismount sometime, but I certainly wasn't encouraged by those pictures!

2013-03-14 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I agree with you Jamie. Until I get to the place where my times improve drastically, I won't be doing that kind of dismount. I also agree that continued practice is the way to go once I decide it's worth the attempt during a race. I got my first 2000yd swim in today! A little more than half was the crawl, but at least I got the volume in and it's the most I have ever swam in one session. I'm especially pleased since it is so close to the time of my injury. I still can't fully extend my left arm but at least I can swing it around. I have a big ride scheduled for tomorrow AM so I better get some sleep.
2013-03-15 4:14 AM

User image

Master
I'm tired! I'm not logging in a lot of time, but the time I've put in has been crazy hard. A lot of MTBing and OWS. When I do either of those, I'm OUT the rest of the day. Exhausted!

Today I did the entire Xterra bike course alone, and am OK with my time. Even if I don't take the exact route, like not the right descent, at least I know I'll get from one end of the course to the other confidently. No stopping to wonder where the Snickerdoodles I am this time.

Going hard this week and then next week taper, no? I think I'll do really short, easy bikes and runs, but get more swims in just to work on technique. Sound good?

Michael: I've always appreciated and valued your input, and I admire you greatly for what you are taking on right now. Good luck! I look forward to anything you can contribute in the future when things settle down.

Happy training guys! One week till Guam Xterra. Lord help me.
2013-03-15 8:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning! We made it to Friday. Early run on the treadmill done. Now work until Noon then we head to Tuscaloosa for daughter's soccer games this evening and tomorrow morning. Will also get to see our son for the first time in 2 months while we are in town. Roll Tide! I'm hoping to get my 10 mile run in early tomorrow morning before soccer and family activities get going. Hopefully will be able to do it on the Bama XC course which is an old golf course. I don't have the chance to do much running on soft surfaces and my legs will appreciate the softer surface. We will head back tomorrow night and I have a long bike and short brick run scheduled. Weather looks beautiful.

Anyone racing this weekend?

2013-03-15 11:10 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am absolutely wrecked from my call last night. Worked straight through from 9 pm to 7 am this morning doing anesthesia for back to back heart operations. Very complex cases. Very sick patients. Very bad outcomes. Not a very uplifting night at work.

Decided that, even though I got zero sleep, if I didn't do it on the way home from work that my swim would never get done. So, I went to the pool and got in a pretty reasonable swim. I am still struggling with my pace as the sets progress but I realized that I thought today's workout was pretty doable. I know that six months ago doing this swim would have been close to impossible.

Once again, when I am grinding away, day after day, it can be easy to lose sight of the gains because they come so slow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66