Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-01-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN

Fred: Great question... A lot of people get into tri after being in one of the 3 sports exclusively...maybe using it as a way to beat boredom, a new challenge or to hold of injury. Maybe they look at it as temporary until they get back to their main sport? I do have several friends that have been doing it for 10-20 years, those guys were doing tri back before it was popular/mainstream so maybe the new generations of triathletes will stick around bec it was a much more recognized sport when they started out in it...plus the gear has become so pricey....maybe that will force people to stay the course if they have invested a lot of money.

That said, I would be more concerned about people (age groupers) who think of Tri (or anything else) as the only worthwhile activity...and I have some of those friends too..they plan years down the line. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having bucket list races, and obviously IM racing takes years in advance commitment but I am old and wise enough to know that nothing in life is certain...never put all your eggs in one basket etc etc. 

I look at Tri as a lifestyle but I know I would be just as happy doing other activities

2013-01-19 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4585757

User image

Danielson Ct
kcarroll - 2013-01-19 7:36 AM

heykev - 2013-01-18 6:12 PM  Windy 24 degree ride today. Yup it's New England. Power swim technique class tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. Who swims at 5:30? I need to be up at 3:45 to get to this place. Early to bed tonight.

I swim with a masters group at 5:30 during the week.  Fortunately the pool is close and if I'm organized the night before the alarm is set for 4:40.  Look forward to hearing about power swim technique. 

My alarm is set for four with a 45 minute drive.  What we did today, the first day was we did ten minute warm up just doing laps. Then they had us put one hand on top of the other and just push off the wall to feel the glide.  Then the same thing extending ourselves breathing when we had to and kicking across the pool.Then they showed us proper arm alignment and we practiced pushing down they way we should. Not like I do. We took that to the pool and one lap out we used one arm with the other in the glide position and the other arm on the way back. Then we finished up putting it all together. I noticed a big difference in my form just from this class. Each week we'll build on the previous. Great group of people about 18 of us with three instructors and they worked with every person.  Should really help me.
2013-01-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4586084

User image

Danielson Ct
Good day today. Did my swim this morning. Got home had a snack and went out for an 18 mile run then went out for my daily ride. Would have been a little better if it wasn't 32 degrees and windy but, it's done. Have a feeling it will be another early to bed night.
2013-01-19 1:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Fred, I have nothing to add to what the others have said.  I think it's natural with any sort of activity to have a cycle of people coming and going.  Most will go, a few will stay for the long term, some will be in the middle.  My wife and I used to participate in dog sports a lot and at the time we couldn't imagine not doing that for a very long time.  Now, I can't imagine how I spent so much time at it.  

2013-01-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4586073

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
riorio - 2013-01-19 3:38 PM

Took advantage of some great weather, kids at grandparents and hubby off racing his mtn bike to get in a century ride. I was worried I might not have the fitness to do it but it went fine. The last 20 miles were solo and I had a couple of dark moments but nothing a handful of jelly beans couldn't take care of

Ok, when I first read this I thought you said hubby was off on his mtn bike doing a century and thought that was just complete madness, LOL!

I should take jelly beans with me on long rides, sounds like a perfect pick me up snack!  

My training today was a 17 km run that started earlier in the day while it was still pretty cold as I wanted to get it done before the snow started.  A pretty decent run with 6k at M-pace - it was a bit of a struggle compared to what it usually feels like but it's done.  90 mins on the trainer tomorrow.

2013-01-19 2:04 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
heykev - 2013-01-19 3:47 PM
kcarroll - 2013-01-19 7:36 AM

heykev - 2013-01-18 6:12 PM  Windy 24 degree ride today. Yup it's New England. Power swim technique class tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. Who swims at 5:30? I need to be up at 3:45 to get to this place. Early to bed tonight.

I swim with a masters group at 5:30 during the week.  Fortunately the pool is close and if I'm organized the night before the alarm is set for 4:40.  Look forward to hearing about power swim technique. 

My alarm is set for four with a 45 minute drive.  What we did today, the first day was we did ten minute warm up just doing laps. Then they had us put one hand on top of the other and just push off the wall to feel the glide.  Then the same thing extending ourselves breathing when we had to and kicking across the pool.Then they showed us proper arm alignment and we practiced pushing down they way we should. Not like I do. We took that to the pool and one lap out we used one arm with the other in the glide position and the other arm on the way back. Then we finished up putting it all together. I noticed a big difference in my form just from this class. Each week we'll build on the previous. Great group of people about 18 of us with three instructors and they worked with every person.  Should really help me.

That sounds like a great group to be a part of!  I like how it sounds like they are breaking the stroke down to the fundamentals and building it up from there.  Is this a tri oriented group?

2013-01-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4586099

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
axteraa - 2013-01-19 12:02 PM
riorio - 2013-01-19 3:38 PM

Took advantage of some great weather, kids at grandparents and hubby off racing his mtn bike to get in a century ride. I was worried I might not have the fitness to do it but it went fine. The last 20 miles were solo and I had a couple of dark moments but nothing a handful of jelly beans couldn't take care of

Ok, when I first read this I thought you said hubby was off on his mtn bike doing a century and thought that was just complete madness, LOL!

I should take jelly beans with me on long rides, sounds like a perfect pick me up snack!  

My training today was a 17 km run that started earlier in the day while it was still pretty cold as I wanted to get it done before the snow started.  A pretty decent run with 6k at M-pace - it was a bit of a struggle compared to what it usually feels like but it's done.  90 mins on the trainer tomorrow.

Darn it Arend...you caught my poor sentence structure He actually did 80 miles on a mtn bike once which was just crazy!

I recommend Jelly Belly, not the sport beans, the real deal!

2013-01-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4585830

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Fred D - 2013-01-19 8:54 AM  I guess I have concerns that triathlon for many, many people seems to be a fairly temporary sport in their lives. Thoughts?

That's an interesting observation and it appears that there are not many "lifers" out there.  I hear of many people venturing off into just running or cycling.  I did my first tri in the summer of 2009 so this summer will be my 4th season and I don't see 2014 being my last  Of course each year I have improved so I'm wondering what I'll do when the improving stops.  I'm guessing age will eventually settle in and it will be difficult to do things quicker.  I still like the sport and look forward to the spring and summer races.  Actually I figured when I die it will probably be while training or during a race so my Road ID has "Did I Win?" on it.

2013-01-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4586119

User image

Payson, AZ
riorio - 2013-01-19 1:12 PM

Jelly Belly's was a staple when I as mountain climbing a lot. 

2013-01-19 2:23 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I made the mistake of wearing a long sleeve shirt on my run.  It's a thin shirt but was too much clothing.  Took quite some time for my legs to warm up this run.  Tomorrow's long run is going to be entertaining
2013-01-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4586119

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
riorio - 2013-01-19 4:12 PM 

I tried sport beans once, I couldn't understand why I would want to pay so much for a jelly bean.  Undecided

2013-01-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4585830

User image

Extreme Veteran

Fred D - 2013-01-19 8:54 AM I guess I have concerns that triathlon for many, many people seems to be a fairly temporary sport in their lives. Thoughts?

Here's a theory :

I remember reading an article that most will see improvement, year over year for the first 5 years, 7 max.

Depending on when you start, when aging kicks in.....maybe at first we see the improvement and chase it.Between fitness improvements, experience, equipment...we see tangible improvements

When we start showing less improvement, or aging slows us down, it becomes less encouraging. The effort required to improve becomes too much with work, familty, commitments

I think runners and cyclists have a tendency to do it more for fun and fitness. Triathletes seem a little more obsessive of results. Not all but some

Just a theory

2013-01-19 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4586149

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-19 2:49 PM

2013-01-19 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4585407

5,000 miles from home
ligersandtions - 2013-01-18 6:31 PM

I had my knee surgery today.  I think it went well....I'll talk with the surgeon on Monday in my post-op appointment.  He took some pictures during the surgery and the nurse showed me afterward and said, "See this here?  It's not normal....it should all be smooth.  He removed it and now it's smooth."  

Since there was no reconstruction or anything, I think the recovery process is going to be relatively quick.  I'm already able to walk on it, but am doing what I can to keep myself off it....keeping it elevated and icing it.

Next up: figure out how to get back into running with out injuring anything

Good to hear the procedure went well. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Crazy week over here, really cold too. Finished Fink Week #3, feeling good and seeing progress. This is my third season of IM training, fist time using Fink. I had some questions early on, but sticking with the program as closely as possible and making modifications where necessary to work on my weak spots- which are many!

This week I did my first Sufferfest workout, Hell Hath No Fury. I got my full share of suffering!

The days seem to be getting longer here on the East Coast US. Soon we will be suffering outside.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training.
2013-01-19 6:57 PM

Fred...great question.

I really don't know what will happen to me once I stop making improvements, but given my age, I'm hoping that won't happen for a while.  That said, I do look forward to training if not simply to interact with others in my training group.  We do lots of things together outside of training.  Some of them are older, or even much older than me and are past their prime, but they keep at it.

I really do enjoy training.  I've been involved in other hobbies that I have since given up, or do not do very often anymore.  Basketball, softball, golf, fantasy sports, video games, etc.  I'm pretty certain that goal oriented racing will not be a priority for the next 20 years, but I do think that overall training will be.  I like the way it makes me feel...so unless I find something that can make me feel just as good, or better, I don't see a reason why to stop. 

And for those that have given up the sport, I suppose they did find something better than triathlon for them.  So if that's the case...there's nothing wrong with that.  Life should be the pursuit of happiness.  There is no point in doing something just because...if you know something else would make you feel better.

2013-01-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4585965

Master
Northern IL
ligersandtions - 2013-01-19 11:05 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-19 5:27 AM
riorio - 2013-01-18 7:55 AM
ligersandtions - 2013-01-18 4:31 PM

I had my knee surgery today.  I think it went well....I'll talk with the surgeon on Monday in my post-op appointment.  He took some pictures during the surgery and the nurse showed me afterward and said, "See this here?  It's not normal....it should all be smooth.  He removed it and now it's smooth."  

Since there was no reconstruction or anything, I think the recovery process is going to be relatively quick.  I'm already able to walk on it, but am doing what I can to keep myself off it....keeping it elevated and icing it.

Next up: figure out how to get back into running with out injuring anything

Glad it went well...keep us updated!

x3....and x2 on what Kim said - do the PT - it will make a difference.

Post-op appointment with the surgeon and PT scheduled for Monday.  I'll be doing everything the PT suggests....I'm so ready to put this whole thing behind me and get back to normal.  Taking it easy till then.  Thanks for all the well wishes

Nicole

How are things going for you? I've been able to walk same day, and others have as well (procedure dependent), but then felt a bit worse the next day. A good part of that was the surgery meds wearing off more so than actually being worse off.

2013-01-19 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4586036

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Fred D - 2013-01-19 1:32 PM
bzgl40 - 2013-01-19 1:22 PM

Fred D  I guess I have concerns that triathlon for many, many people seems to be a fairly temporary sport in their lives. Thoughts?

I think that is true of a lot of stuff in life.  Some will stick with, some will move on to other things.  It is the circle of life. 

Probably right Kim. I'm sure runners go through a similar cycle, ie; do a few races, then a Mary, then burnout etc. Just thinking aloud about ways to not let it happen to myself as I really enjoy so many aspects of SBR.

Interesting issue.  We talked about this today in RRCA training.  (The instructor is a long-time runner, former <2:20 marathoner, who has continued endurance sport for decades, including tri, though not at that elite level.)  There were no brilliant insights, but things to think about.  I think that one factor might well be that after 4-6 years it is pretty hard to make very big gains, or even -- depending on age -- to maintain, and that can be discouraging.  Many of us agreed that being creative about new challenges is important, but that's a bit of a platitude.

I see older guys in my neighborhood who are clearly dedicated life-long runners and take joy in the act of running.  They don't have time goals.  They just love to run.  I've talked with some of them, and some of them used to be very fact.  They don't care about speed any more, and they tell me that they had to readjust their expectations pretty dramatically, but I've never heard one of them articulate clearly how they did that.

I do think that tri is somewhat different from running.  An experienced runner can stick with it (even still racing at a reasonably high level) running just 30-50 miles per week.  That's something like 4-10 hours per week (including the shower!) depending on pace.  One is unlikely to to perform at a high level in tri on that number of hours, not to mention that tri can be logistically very complicated for many people, especially if pools and places to ride are not convenient.  That complexity grates on the mind (and family relations) after a while.

Honestly, for exactly these reasons (and others) I've considered becoming a pure runner more than once, but at least for now, I feel like I've got more I'd like to accomplish at tri, and fortunately swimming and biking are not horribly difficult (logistically) for me to do.

2013-01-19 11:13 PM

Master
, California

I think that one factor might well be that after 4-6 years it is pretty hard to make very big gains, or even -- depending on age -- to maintain, and that can be discouraging.

I appreciate speed improvement but I really want to nail things down at race time.  Part of the challenge of IM is to race well.  Not just the training you put in but things you do on the race day.  Proper pacing.  Listening to your body.  Adjusting to what the day throws at you.

It's a good challenge because I feel like there's always room for improvement.  I've raced IM distance 4 times.  None of them was a perfect race, but I feel like I improved my execution each time.  Each one had different obstacles.  I doubt I'll ever have a "perfect" IM but I enjoy working towards it.

My Canada time this year was only 35 minutes off my best.  Think about that for a second.  My fitness was much worse due to my blood clot, and the course much hillier than Western Australia.  But I knew what I was working with and executed well with what I had.  That's an area you can improve at any age.

2013-01-20 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4586514

Extreme Veteran
spudone - 2013-01-19 11:13 PM

I think that one factor might well be that after 4-6 years it is pretty hard to make very big gains, or even -- depending on age -- to maintain, and that can be discouraging.

I appreciate speed improvement but I really want to nail things down at race time.  Part of the challenge of IM is to race well.  Not just the training you put in but things you do on the race day.  Proper pacing.  Listening to your body.  Adjusting to what the day throws at you.

It's a good challenge because I feel like there's always room for improvement.  I've raced IM distance 4 times.  None of them was a perfect race, but I feel like I improved my execution each time.  Each one had different obstacles.  I doubt I'll ever have a "perfect" IM but I enjoy working towards it.

My Canada time this year was only 35 minutes off my best.  Think about that for a second.  My fitness was much worse due to my blood clot, and the course much hillier than Western Australia.  But I knew what I was working with and executed well with what I had.  That's an area you can improve at any age.

I agree, and even quote myself "Between fitness improvements, experience, equipment...we see tangible improvements"

Execution is huge. Pacing. Nutrition, Equipment....I believe pacing is the biggest.

Last summer I did 2 races at about the same fitness level. One was good for me, one was very average. Yet I was at the same fitness level. It was all pacing. Had I done both with the same execution, I am convinced I could have done equally well in both.

I think the "peek' in fitness improvement after that "7 years" also comes at the same time as some solid experience. BTW, I don't believe there is a "hard number" like 7.

But there are always ways to squeeze out improvements. When they become harder to squeeze out, then maybe that's when a good coach can help.

This is the fifth year I will be doing this stuff and it's the first year I have confidence I may be able to do well. I just need to keep injury away.

2013-01-20 8:49 AM

2013-01-20 8:49 AM

2013-01-20 9:16 AM

Edited by Fred D 2013-01-20 9:17 AM
2013-01-20 9:19 AM

2013-01-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4586704

Extreme Veteran

Fred D - 2013-01-20 9:19 AM Sorry, here are a few thoughts on competitiveness I would like to hear feedback on. I doubt we will all agree, but I think it's relevant to training and racing in tri This is a really interesting point. I suspect I could offend a few in this group with the following thoughts as many here are not people that have aimed to win their age group outright as I have in the past in fairly big races, but I think this is worth saying.... I have raced 4:3x in HIM and just over 10 hrs at IMLP. So I'm not slow. However, I have NEVER taken the approach of trying to be THE BEST, but instead have always aimed to be the BEST I COULD BE GIVEN MY LIMITATIONS. Those limitations are genetics, work, family and life commitments and dietary. I know I am competitive, but I believe tat everyone is. Truly at the core, we compete. We just don't all compete fir the SAME THINGS. What???! The vast majority of people I have known in this sport and in life in general are competing. Whether that is to be their best at work, best they can be as a parent, best they can be in providing for their family, I see people trying to be the best they can be in balancing it all, we mainly compete to do the best we can. This does not mean that everyone looks at their bike splits the way I do, or their placement the way I do, but rather an opinion of the human condition that we are programmed to compete. In fact I've run across enough people who spend time telling me over and over that the AREN'T competitive about their times that it gets lost on the that they may well be competing in a sense to be less competitive. Probably not making much sense here, but we mainly pride ourselves in being good at something (parent, athlete, worker etc) and we do sometimes look negatively on folks who put too many eggs in the competitive basket in one area. For instance the athlete who Kona qualifies yet is an absent parent or spouse. We (I) say, "well they my be better at xyz sport, but I balance things better in the more important things". No doubt sport for all of us amateurs isn't that important, but if I made myself clear at all, we all compete to varying degrees in the sport of life. Whether at work, whether to be the best parent o give or kids the be opportunities or whatever. It's like the statistic where 85-90% of drivers of vehicles think they are n 'above average' driver compared to others on the road. We see ourselves in a different light thn maybe others see us. We all compete, but over different things. I compete FAR less in triathlon, but have put a lot more focus on my job and specifically into robotic surgery. Am I competitive and want to be the best at robotics? Yes, yes, yes. If I offended anyone, sorry, but would welcome competing theories or agreeing ones. Thoughts?

Not sure how the above could be offensive.

In tri we struggle to find the perfect balance between swim, run, bike. We want to do it all, with certain preferences influencing our choices

Life is no different. Balancing career, family, responsibilities and sport is a challenge. And there is no perfect balance. This balance changes a lot with age. My priorities at 20 are very different than 50. And I can say I have been very fortunate and have no regrets about any decisions I made in my life. And the decisions I made are just setting me up to continue to enjoy my life. But I know my lucky streak could be over any day and that's why I appreciate each day as it comes.

When you go to bed at night and feel you did a good, not a perfect, but a good job finding some kind of balance, you can sleep well

I have no ambitions to be the best in tri. I know it's impossible and trying to get there would be about making compromises i will not make.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190