BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Randy: So cool that your daughter gets to travel for soccer!

Jason: Sounds like a real tough day at the office. Way to pull through and get your swim done.

I have a mountain bike race on Sunday. Having these races every Sunday has been great for my bike handling skills, and I'm learning from watching other riders how to handle the tough stuff.

Right now we're on our way to a family 5k. The kids are up and ready to go. Love that we can do this together now and I don't have to push a jogger!

2013-03-15 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

Randy – Enjoy your family and the soft surface to run on.

Jason – I’ve had many nights when I’m up all night doing surgery or taking care of sick people. I really appreciate my anesthesia colleagues. We’re in this together. I bet you felt real accomplishment just staying disciplined and getting that workout in.

Blanda – Good luck with your race next week. You’re going to do great!

I’m going to be absent for a week. I’m going on a cruise with my family (our first one) and we won’t have internet access. My plan is to continue to train in addition to snorking/scuba. I’ve been told the gym on this boat is very nice. I’m a little nervous about the whole deal with all the news the last few months regarding cruise liners in the Gulf. To all my BT friends, have a good week and I’ll do my best to keep the training on course.

2013-03-15 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4661896

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Dave,

I work with spectacular surgeons. Both of the CT guys I worked with last night are so top notch it would be hard to do better. Unfortunately the pts physiology/pathology was working against us. So frustrating but sometimes there is only so much you can do. I'm never happy when things end badly and two bad endings in one night is pretty unheard of in my practice.
2013-03-15 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Workouts for the day done ... a bunch of all out 100's again ... got a new breakthrough. First time that I got 100 yards in 1:14min.  Also did a nice and easy 90 minute ride in ... 

Tomorrow I got a 4 mile run followed by 90 minutes on the bike with a bunch of intervals ... reverse brick ... hate those ... :-)

Another 2 hour ride on Sunday and then I can't wait for my rest day on Monday. 

2013-03-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4661970

User image

Master
d3term1ned - 2013-03-15 8:02 PM

Workouts for the day done ... a bunch of all out 100's again ... got a new breakthrough. First time that I got 100 yards in 1:14min.  

WOW!!! Smoking fast swim times! You're going to have an excellent race season.

2013-03-16 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4662313

User image

Veteran
Denton
Catwoman - 2013-03-16 9:24 AM
d3term1ned - 2013-03-15 8:02 PM

Workouts for the day done ... a bunch of all out 100's again ... got a new breakthrough. First time that I got 100 yards in 1:14min.   WOW!!! Smoking fast swim times! You're going to have an excellent race season.

Rene - So far so good! I got a PR by 5 minutes on a Sprint distance race last weekend. Consistency is the key and having a great coach is just as important. Oh by the way ... I can ride my bike with you now ... i shaved my legs ... :-)

I got a 4 mile run followed by a 25 mile ride in this morning after sleeping almost until 9 am. I can't believe my kids actually let me sleep that long. I also got myself some new shoes today. Newton Distance S. I got them for $95 .... great price for some great shoes ... I think I am going to take them for a short run tomorrow. I am also waiting for some Zoot Ultra Race 4.0 ... gotta love those ... 

2013-03-16 7:59 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael/d3-great job on the 100's. 1:14 is fast. May want to consider working the Newtons into your running. Some people experience calf pain/tightness if they jump into the Newtons and run. The way they are set up encourages a mid/forefoot strike. Guy at running store told me some folks will be more prone to the forefoot strike which stresses the calves more.  I like the Newtons as they make my turnover quicker and paces a bit faster. Maybe 15-20 minutes the first time out to give yourself a chance to adapt. Others have no issues switching with Newtons but I would be on the safe side.

Whirlwind trip to Tuscaloosa. Back home now. Daughter played really well and we got in a couple of good visits with our son. Up early and got my 10 mile run in. Long bike ride tomorrow followed by a short run. We will be headed back to Tuscaloosa next Friday for a track meet at the University. First meet since the track was redone. Its really beautiful as whole facility has been redone with upgrades everywear and beautiful landscaping. Nice to see some of that football money trickle down to the less visible sports.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.     

2013-03-16 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael/D3-1:14 is crazy fast...I'm definitely jealous! Great job!I got my long ride in this afternoon, and I'm officially tired. This week has definitely taken its toll. I'm not hurting, which is good, but my body is definitely tired. Long run tomorrow, then I can relax for a day!
2013-03-16 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Randy - I am going to take it easy on the Newtons. I did the same thing the first couple times I ran in my Vibram Five Fingers. Luckily I am already a front/midfoot striker and I started changing my run cadence when I restarted my training. I moved from a 80spm cadence to 91spm in my last race. I really like the way the Newtons felt on the treadmill when I tried them on. 
2013-03-16 11:56 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Howdy all -- just finished a nice long run this evening -- 1:20, just over 8 miles.   Back to the treadmill as winter seems to have made a (hopefully) last gasp.

I also made myself proud -- I did indeed make time for a run on my business trip on Thursday.  (Once upon I time I was notorious for always bringing my running gear but never bothering to use it  Embarassed         Hotel had a decent fitness center and I knocked out 30 minutes while watching all the news about Pope Francis!

Did anyone race this weekend?  Congratulations and/or good luck to all!

Scott.

2013-03-17 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Scott - I got the same issue when I stay in Hotels. I never work out even though I bring all the gear .... 

I just finished a nice and easy 35 Mile ride ...... training for the week done ... rest day tomorrow ... :-)

2013-03-17 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4663142

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
d3term1ned - 2013-03-17 1:03 PM

Scott - I got the same issue when I stay in Hotels. I never work out even though I bring all the gear .... 

I just finished a nice and easy 35 Mile ride ...... training for the week done ... rest day tomorrow ... :-)

That is when you cross the line to trithacrazy: when you say, "finished a nice and easy 35 mile ride."

Nice work on the 1:14/100. I don't think I am capable of going that fast for even one 100 at this point. You are making some serious headway on the whole swimming thing.

Speaking of swimming, I just looked at my yardage for this week: 19,700. I never thought in a million years I would be swimming that in a week. Too bad it isn't really making me faster....... If I would have known I was that close I would have swum a super easy extra 300 to get to 20,000 for the week. That would have been a nice round number.

I have been struggling the last couple days. Body and psyche are both tired. Must push through.....
2013-03-17 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Thanks Jason and Randy. I'll keep posting. I just haven't had much to say about the training this past winter. I'm disappointed it didn't go as planned but glad I'm back at it and just trying to figure out how to make it work.

Jason-Sorry you had such a bad on call night. I'm not a doctor but I'm a Respiratory Therapist so I see my share of things gone bad. Sometimes you can take it in stride but some cases get to you. For me a lot of our patients are frequent flyers and you build a relationship. These are the ones it sucks to lose. One of my favorite patients died this past winter.

So, I had a pretty awesome run today. I had just read an article in Runner's World about breathing patterns while running and gave it a shot on my run today. I had an 8 miler scheduled which gave me plenty of time to work into a groove with it. Once I got the hang of it I was able to run faster with less effort. My last few miles were 1-2 minutes faster than the previous ones and that was on a more difficult trail. I'm psyched-this is the first improvement I've seen in a really long time.

Unfortunately, my IT band hurts. I've been rolling the crap out of it since I got home but it's still really tight. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Here's the article if anyone is interested: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique. I only tried it today but I'm excited to try again!

2013-03-17 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4663557

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
nicoleg - 2013-03-17 7:29 PM

Unfortunately, my IT band hurts. I've been rolling the crap out of it since I got home but it's still really tight. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

When I had IT band issues I swear what cured it was the "pigeon stretch." If you google it, there are a zillion images. It is easy to do and whenever I start to feel the IT getting a little funny I just make sure I add in some pigeon stretches and it gets better. Just my 2 cents.

2013-03-17 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Made it through the weekend.  Accomplished my Sat long run (14 miles) but did not get to the bike. 
Still satisfied with getting the long run done.  Training is going to pick up soon as IM Moo is less than 6 months away.  Jim
2013-03-17 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Made it through the weekend.  Accomplished my Sat long run (14 miles) but did not get to the bike. 
Still satisfied with getting the long run done.  Training is going to pick up soon as IM Moo is less than 6 months away.  Jim

2013-03-17 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Nicole, be careful with that IT band. I've been on and off from running since the end of January because of ITBS. Currently taking a month off to let everything heal up completely. Better safe than sorry.
2013-03-18 12:25 AM

User image

Master

Yesterday was a 10 mile mountain bike race in the morning, went with a group to help the Xterra Guam director mark the run course in the afternoon, which is very tricky, then had a soccer game at 8 freaking PM. Bananas.

Guess where and how I get hurt. Playing soccer. Someone stepped on my wrist! Xterra is this Saturday and I get my wrist stepped on. Swimming and biking with a hurt wrist is going to suck. Geeze Louise. Only me. Yell

I'm nervous, but thinking positively about the race.

Here's a video of our trek through Xterra run course to mark it. Yes, we're supposed to run this, lol! I'm the girl in the long sleeved green shirt trying to look dignified stepping into a pond, then I step into a large hole.

Xterra Trail Run Course Marking

Edited by Blanda 2013-03-18 12:32 AM
2013-03-18 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4663622

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
wannabefaster - 2013-03-17 8:31 PM
nicoleg - 2013-03-17 7:29 PM

When I had IT band issues I swear what cured it was the "pigeon stretch." If you google it, there are a zillion images. It is easy to do and whenever I start to feel the IT getting a little funny I just make sure I add in some pigeon stretches and it gets better. Just my 2 cents.

I actually stopped a couple of times during my run and did some modified type pigeon stretches on the top of some picnic tables.

I really thought it would be better after not training a lot this winter and I was able to get up to 6 miles last week with only some minor problems that rolled out quickly. I may have to cut the 10 miles I was planning for Friday in exchange for a shorter run. In spite of all the rolling and stretching yesterday and this morning I'm still limping today. I may end up walking a lot of this half marathon next month. I'll be glad when it's over and I can change my focus. The IT band is part of the reason I want to focus on shorter distances and strength/flexibility this summer.

It's just too bad because I was actually excited about running after it felt so good yesterday.

Edited by nicoleg 2013-03-18 5:49 AM
2013-03-18 10:35 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Sorry I've been MIA.  Got a punch in the gut on Friday when we went back to the vet and realized my dog's ACL diagnosis was wrong.  She actually has bone tumors - in greyhounds it's becoming more and more common to develop osteosarcoma.  It's always malignant and it's a fast moving nasty cancer.  All we can do now is medicate her and keep her comfortable until it's time.  I'm a mess.

She likes the red sox and she loves to shred paper

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/mtbbaboon/IMG_0470.jpg 

However, I've been running and swimming but just going through the motions and the "training" has kind of fallen by the wayside.  Hopefully I can just keep my fitness up enough to get back to it soon enough.

And somehow I have to get a ton of work done in the next 4 weeks.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-03-18 10:36 AM
2013-03-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4664290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
mtnbikerchk - 2013-03-18 11:35 AM

Sorry I've been MIA.  Got a punch in the gut on Friday when we went back to the vet and realized my dog's ACL diagnosis was wrong.  She actually has bone tumors - in greyhounds it's becoming more and more common to develop osteosarcoma.  It's always malignant and it's a fast moving nasty cancer.  All we can do now is medicate her and keep her comfortable until it's time.  I'm a mess.

However, I've been running and swimming but just going through the motions and the "training" has kind of fallen by the wayside.  Hopefully I can just keep my fitness up enough to get back to it soon enough.

So sorry to hear about that diagnosis. I have three dogs, and the day I get news like that, I think I'll be buying lots of alcohol and calling into work for a week. 

2013-03-18 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4664290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
mtnbikerchk - 2013-03-18 11:35 AM

That's terrible news. I'm so sorry.

2013-03-18 11:30 AM

User image

New user
I am so sorry to hear your news, that is so hard and had to be such a surprise when you were thinking it was something so very different.
Keeping on with your workouts is very wise both physically and mentally. You will be stronger for what you are facing if you keep yourself physically strong. Thank you for sharing this with us and I will be thinking of you and what you are going through.
2013-03-18 1:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-so sorry to here of the diagnosis for your pet.  Sad when these things happen.

Blanda-wow...what a run course. Triathlon is hard enough.....make it any harder. Sending much respect your way

Easy day for me. Optional swim done at lunch. Legs feel better than they did this morning. Swim was easy active recovery. Looking ahead at the week's schedule I'm going to need more recovery!

2013-03-19 6:22 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Woke up this morning to a light coating of snow on the ground. I am so ready for Spring and nicer weather.

Remind me again, why don't I live in nicer weather like some of the smarter people in this group?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66