BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-09 3:51 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Great 12 mile run Saturday. I'm surprised I felt so good! I wasn't burning any rubber or anything, but usually I'm feeling even a comfortable pace around the 8 mile mark. Saturday's run felt like a walk in the park. Loved it!

Sunday was a group ride through the Xterra bike course. I got over my fear of a couple descents, including the one I epically crashed on a couple weeks ago. I realized that I knew that descent in my own way. I had my own line down that I was comfortable with, and the day I crashed I felt pressured to take another person's line. Not doing that again! Took us 3+ hours because we were introducing new riders to the course and believe it or not I got lost! Hahaha! We have a call that we use when we get of track and lose each other. "CAW CAW"! So, if you can imagine myself, and a couple small groups of humans calling out like that, you might chuckle. They found me within 10 minutes. Whew!

My legs are pretty tired today and I'm grateful for just a swim on schedule.

Have a great Sunday!

Our hills have some leftovers from WWII. Here's a great shot of an old tank:

(1798570_10151899839156601_1392201286_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1798570_10151899839156601_1392201286_n.jpg (123KB - 4 downloads)

2014-03-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Blanda...I love every single photo you share!!!
2014-03-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by PhoenixM

I've come to the conclusion that my center of gravity on my bike is over on my left side since I seem to be going that direction whenever I let go of the handlebar with my left hand. In addition, I've realized that while I could stop without bike shoes, it's probably a whole lot easier to stop with cycling shoes. On my saddle, the tips of my shoes are barely touching the ground, so I'm having to lean to the right (heavily) and hop off the saddle simultaneously. Every time I do the latter, both feet want to come with me. Tends to throw me off balance when trying to stop and it creates a bit of an issue when I try to get back going again. Not entirely sure how to deal with the matter, but I sincerely hope it's not a fit issue on my bike.

Bryan...I've never tried, but I don't think I can even tough the ground with my feet when I'm in the saddle. Most of us tend to automatically unclip with one foot and always put that one down first. For me, it's my left, mainly because when you ride on the road, the road is cambered to allow water to run off the side during a rain. If I were to try to unclip on the right, it's further to the ground on that side (if I'm stopping on a paved road at a stop sign) and causes me to lose my balance.

When I'm approaching a stop, I unclip well in advance, and as I slow, I lean my bike to the left and then catch myself with my left foot. I'll have to think about it next time I'm on my bike, but I may also slide off the front of the saddle just as I'm getting ready to touch down with my foot. I try not to put my foot down too soon, as my cleats (I use Look Keo pedals) are plastic and can be quite slick on pavement. They can skid which would cause me to lose my balance. So I wait to put my foot on the ground until my bike is almost at a stop. I don't unclip my right foot at all unless I'm not going to start pedaling right away.

X 2 on everything said above. If you can put your foot down without getting off the saddle then your seat is probably way too low. Even if you had shoes with cleats on them I suspect your bike shop would subtly adjust your seat upwards to compensate for the increase in leg length from the cleat and you would be right back where you started.

Also, beware of thinking it would be easier to stop with cleats. I suspect everyone here has their own story about falling at a complete stop because they don't unclip in time or they unclip the wrong side. I've been riding "clipless" pedals for 20+ years and managed to fall over in front of half my neighbors last year. Can you say embarrassing? Especially because they all seem to think I am an uber-biker dude . Don't get me wrong, I think you should get cleats sooner rather than later but the learning curve can be steep.

Bryan. Congratulations on the 5k. Keep up the good work. You are doing a great job of setting goals and working toward them.
2014-03-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda,

Great picture, as usual.

Well I got my run in. I didn't quite hit the paces assigned but it went much better than expected.

Usually I really enjoy running, even when I am doing it This one was hard from start to finish but I feel like I really accomplished something. Even if it was only working on mental toughness.
2014-03-09 6:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by wannabefaster Rene represented the group well today. First age group and 3rd overall female in her sprint today. It sounds like she just about froze doing it. Poor Texas girls.... I'll let her tell all about it. Congratulations.

Thanks Jason. Yes, this poor Texas girl froze her a$$ off yesterday.There's a reason that people don't do triathlons in early March even in Texas. It was in the mid 40's and drizzling when we started the pool swim. The weather was nasty for the entire race. 6 miles of the bike had some lovely chip and seal which actually seemed a little easier to ride on in the rain. Or at least that is what I told myself at the time. I lost a fair amount of time in transition putting on clothes and trying to get my frozen feet in shoes. Race was 3m/13.86/5k- 1:18

Ended up with Female Grand Masters (50+ aka OLD) and 3rd  OA Female. Found out after the race that I missed 2nd OA Female by 1 minute. Met the goal for the weekend to check the AG Nationals Qualification off of the list. Pleased with my execution of the race given the conditions. Finished off the weekend by nailing all of the targets on my long run . Training is coming together really well.I'm almost afraid to say that out loud.

We're off next week for Spring Break. I've got a "nice" week of training on tap.  It looks like everyone has had a great weekend. Off to cook dinner and then I'll catch up with the groups.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-09 6:34 PM
2014-03-09 7:37 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Catwoman

Originally posted by wannabefaster Rene represented the group well today. First age group and 3rd overall female in her sprint today. It sounds like she just about froze doing it. Poor Texas girls.... I'll let her tell all about it. Congratulations.

Thanks Jason. Yes, this poor Texas girl froze her a$$ off yesterday.There's a reason that people don't do triathlons in early March even in Texas. It was in the mid 40's and drizzling when we started the pool swim. The weather was nasty for the entire race. 6 miles of the bike had some lovely chip and seal which actually seemed a little easier to ride on in the rain. Or at least that is what I told myself at the time. I lost a fair amount of time in transition putting on clothes and trying to get my frozen feet in shoes. Race was 3m/13.86/5k- 1:18

Ended up with Female Grand Masters (50+ aka OLD) and 3rd  OA Female. Found out after the race that I missed 2nd OA Female by 1 minute. Met the goal for the weekend to check the AG Nationals Qualification off of the list. Pleased with my execution of the race given the conditions. Finished off the weekend by nailing all of the targets on my long run . Training is coming together really well.I'm almost afraid to say that out loud.

We're off next week for Spring Break. I've got a "nice" week of training on tap.  It looks like everyone has had a great weekend. Off to cook dinner and then I'll catch up with the groups.

Glad you cleared that up. I thought grandmaster was 60+ or 50+ with a walker.

You going to Milwaukee? Going to double with the olympic and sprint? 

2014-03-09 7:49 PM

User image

Master

Randy, if I remember correctly you've also been a Grand Master before.

The plan is to go to AG Nationals haven't made a decision on races yet.  I need to take a SIGNIFICANT amount of time off of the swim between now and then.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-09 7:51 PM
2014-03-09 7:52 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Yeah, my walker has ceramic bearings in the wheels! I'll bring the Geritol for Milwaukee. We will find the beer when we get there.

2014-03-09 7:55 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Ok, ok...you are both some crazy fast geriatric patients, that's all I've got to say!
2014-03-09 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Hope everybody had a great weekend! Those kids' swim times are just absurd!

I have up and down thoughts about today's Stanford Sprint Triathlon... I finished 4th out of 14 in my (50-54) age group. So that's encouraging. But I was hoping to do better on the bike and run. Here are my official times:

Swim: 13:46 (3rd in AG) -- I think the swim distance was ~600-700 meters + a .3 mile run to the transition area. (I also took an unintentional wide turn at the first buoy and almost ship-wrecked into the jetty -- ugh.);  Bike (20K): 32:26 (3rd in AG);  Run (5K): 23:23 (4th in AG); Total: 1:12:05 (4th in AG, 38/190 overall)

On the bike, I was hoping to keep my average power above 230W, but ended up at 220W (222 NP). Some of it was traffic, some of it was the tight 3-lap course, and some of it was from the 10-12 "speed humps" on each lap(!). But regardless I still thought I was capable of holding 230W.

On the run, I thought I could get closer to 22 minutes. But I faded a bit in the middle mile and couldn't pick up the pace enough on the last mile.

Overall, I had a fun day. My sister and niece cheered me on, and the weather was nice. You can't go wrong with a sunny day on the San Francisco Bay! Here's a picture of me and my niece at the finish. She's a freshman at UC Berkeley. She didn't race today because she's racing next week in san Diego.

Edited by sdswriter 2014-03-09 9:27 PM

(steph_steve.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
steph_steve.jpg (147KB - 3 downloads)
2014-03-09 9:39 PM

User image

Master

Steve, congrats on a great race! Love the pics!

Nancy- which IM are you considering for 2015? Is there a race close to your house? 

Blanda- there is no way that I would ride on those courses. You're one tough cookie to do that. Love the pictures. It looks so warm.

Bryan- enjoy your spring break. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-09 9:40 PM

2014-03-10 5:53 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Steve-great job. Excellent result.

2014-03-10 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Ok, just trying to catch up after being down in Orlando for a week, golfing and having fun and not working. Looks like everyone is keeping at it which is great. I didn't do a single tri-related thing for 5 days which was a pretty nice break. I ate like crap, drank some beers at night with my friends and did a lot of golfing. Perfect really, well I could have golfed better but that's always the case. Looks like the weather here is about to break and should be warm enough where I can start running outside which will really get my training going. I did a decent enough job this winter of keeping with it, but once I can run outside it really changes things mentally that race season is upon us. 14 weeks to my first race, official training plan starts in 2 weeks but I'll starting picking up the slack this week.
2014-03-10 1:45 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jonD81 Ok, just trying to catch up after being down in Orlando for a week, golfing and having fun and not working. Looks like everyone is keeping at it which is great. I didn't do a single tri-related thing for 5 days which was a pretty nice break. I ate like crap, drank some beers at night with my friends and did a lot of golfing. Perfect really, well I could have golfed better but that's always the case. Looks like the weather here is about to break and should be warm enough where I can start running outside which will really get my training going. I did a decent enough job this winter of keeping with it, but once I can run outside it really changes things mentally that race season is upon us. 14 weeks to my first race, official training plan starts in 2 weeks but I'll starting picking up the slack this week.

We're headed down there Friday...no golf for me and our mornings are pretty open so I'm planning on some good runs (in shorts!!!). 

I started my build phase today...quick morning swim and strength session...neck is feeling more or less back to its normal, slightly injured self. 

Lunch was an hour trainer ride with 10 x 2' @ 105% FTP.  The first 6-7 intervals were pretty easy but the last couple put a little bit of a hurtin' on me.  The ride was my highest IF (0.86) in quite a while.

2014-03-10 3:11 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Nancy- which IM are you considering for 2015? Is there a race close to your house? 

Rene,

I'm in the Augusta, GA area. Augusta put in a bid for a 2015 full IM, and wouldn't it be great if it became a reality? Downriver swim...flat, flat, flat run. Reasonable bike? Alas, it's pretty doubtful that they'll get it because of Chattanooga being 4 hours away.

So...on my radar is Chattanooga IF I can get in. I can't go volunteer as I'm racing the same day in Augusta (70.3) and even if I did, I'd have to be at work on Monday, so couldn't wait in the volunteer line to register. Logically that leaves me with Louisville (about 8 hours away) as it doesn't generally sell out (and from the information I've gathered from Jamie and others in my tri club, the swim is okay after the first mile, the bike is good after the first 15 miles, and the run is super flat). IM Florida is out because an ocean swim would kill me. I get horrible motion sickness, and an ocean swim would be leave me puking.
2014-03-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been wearing compression tights for recovery nearly every minute that I was not training, since Friday. (I have three pairs--not festering in one pair for three days-ewwww).

Well, I got to the point where I couldn't stand it any more and took them off. Oh my gosh does it feel good to no longer be compressed.

Not sure where I am going here but I wanted to share my AHHHHHHHH moment with the group.

Still walking like an 80 year old. Hopefully better by tomorrow.

I sent my coach an email about how much this weekend hurt me. His response: "By Sunday of TTT you will get up in the morning and want to say F this, I can't do it. Everyone else will feel exactly the same way. There are going to be a lot more weekends like this one to get you prepared for the pacing required to do four races in three days and to get you to understand how much it is going to hurt."

Nice. Nothing like some encouraging feedback

2014-03-10 3:25 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Steve,

Very nice work. Great photo.

You look pretty good for someone that can race Grandmaster Division.

2014-03-10 6:38 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master

Jason,

Gee- I'm so sad that the Triple T is sold out. Otherwise I would have signed up to do it with you. NOT. That race is crazy. No wonder you feel like crap. I'm not surprised by the note you got from coach. At least he didn't tell you to call your mom if you wanted sympathy.

2014-03-10 7:03 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Cliff Notes: I’m a whiny little baby…

That was the short version to save everyone some time. So, got out to run tonight and was super excited it was like 47 degrees and other than the snow/ice banks that are protruding two feet out into every roadway at this point, the pavement was bare. I was planning on running a nice easy 4 miles, about a half mile add on to my long run so far.

The only problem is I am never happy with status quo. It felt so nice to be running in shorts, on pavement, and in the daylight. After my first easy mile I just kind of quit watching the pace and let it cruise. I knew it was a little faster than I have been going, but it felt soooo good! I figured it was about 8:30 – 8:45 pace. Looked at watch when it vibrated for the next mile split and see it was 7:45. Hmmm, that was fun and felt so much better than reining everything in and running 10’s. Let’s let it go a little more…watched pace come down to between 7:00 – 7:10 and was feeling great. Then, I felt the twinge…I shut it down really quick and coasted for another ¼ mile or so and then walked easy for about a ½ mile back to home. Now I am sitting here with ice on my knee because it is throbbing and all swelled up again.

It’s all just so frustrating. I feel like I have done all of the babying I was supposed to of this knee for the last two months and I still can’t let it loose at all without ramifications. I’m just being a whiny baby because I expect to not be able to swim (yet) but this…this is supposed to be easy for me. It’s not like 7:00 is crazy fast or anything, it just felt so good to get the feeling of actually picking ‘em up and putting ‘em down. Makes me wonder if it’s ever going to get back a serviceable point.

O.k. whiny rant over…I promise. I’ll get back to the pool working on my drowning, I mean swimming, tomorrow.

Edited by 43YORook 2014-03-10 7:05 PM
2014-03-10 7:29 PM

User image

Master

Chris- patience. It will come eventually. The hardest part is waiting for everything to heal.

Nancy- I didn't realize that Augusta was putting in for a full. That would be a really cool race site. Lou is hot but there really aren't any IM races that are "easy" if you get down to it. That is cool that you have so many races so close to you.

After a series of events, I decided to take the day off from my workouts. Hopefully, I won't regret it tomorrow as they were active recovery workouts. Instead, I accidentally slept in, went to Houston for doctors appt. , ate lunch with my daughter, napped for 2.5 hours, got a massage, ate dinner with son and hubby and am now drinking a margarita. Maybe I'll watch a movie and sit on the couch next. The workout police may come and arrest me!!

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-10 7:35 PM
2014-03-10 8:41 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Chris- patience. It will come eventually. The hardest part is waiting for everything to heal.

<

I am glad that Rene chimed in. Last season for her was a series of starts and stops while she very impatiently waited for her knee to heal. I got to experience her frustration from afar and it wasn't pretty.

Chris, hang in there. Knees seem to heal at their own pace and a little setback like some swelling is unlikely to be structural, just your knee sending you the message that it is not quite ready, YET! It will come.

Of course, it is easy for me to preach patience since I don't have to practice it right now. I will expect you all to be my moral support when the inevitable endurance injury rears its ugly head...... knocks on wood.

2014-03-11 6:23 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

So...on my radar is Chattanooga IF I can get in. I can't go volunteer as I'm racing the same day in Augusta (70.3) and even if I did, I'd have to be at work on Monday, so couldn't wait in the volunteer line to register. Logically that leaves me with Louisville (about 8 hours away) as it doesn't generally sell out (and from the information I've gathered from Jamie and others in my tri club, the swim is okay after the first mile, the bike is good after the first 15 miles, and the run is super flat). IM Florida is out because an ocean swim would kill me. I get horrible motion sickness, and an ocean swim would be leave me puking.

How is Augusta in the end of Sept? Maybe I'll get down there for that one of these years!!

Well 5 weeks to go from today and life will return to normal. My bike should be here any day now (it's been spotted at the Trek headquarters in WI waiting to ship). Meanwhile I'm in PT battling some muscle tightness and my TB tendon issues. It's going to be a fun 5 weeks.

Keep up the good work guys - I'm watching you even though I'm not posting as much!
2014-03-11 7:07 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Jason, I had to google that Triple T. That's madness. Absolutely insane. But it should be incredibly fun. I'm sure the following week will just be a blast especially when you try and stand up or move or do anything that doesn't involve a couch.

Got back to it last night after what seems like forever off. I'm still fighting off a cold that I caught right before vacation, but I was able to hammer out "A Very Dark Place" on the trainer. Definitely one of my favorites. 5x4' at about 110-120% with 3' rests. I had to totally will myself through the last interval and didn't hit every number dead on but I suffered plenty. Supposed to crack 50 today which means a good night for a run.
2014-03-11 8:18 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Steve-great race and great results! 4th is awesome, but I know that it can be frustrating to be that close to the podium!

Jason-can you tell a real difference in recovery when wearing the compression tights? I've considered trying them, but haven't given them a go yet.

I had a great weekend training with the girlfriend in TN. We went for a 50ish mile ride on Saturday with a group; it was my first group ride, and I did well. I ride with my tri bike, since I don't have a road bike, but I didn't have any problems. I was definitely wanting to hold my own, especially in front of my gf, who's definitely no slouch! Luckily, we chose a hilly route, which is my specialty since I ride with hills a lot. I was able to pull the group for a good bit, especially on the hills
On Sunday, we did a 9-mile run, which went great. We've run before, and it's gotten a little frustrating. I'm a little faster than she's been on the run so far this season, and I can tell she's frustrated with that. On Sunday, she was working on a longer interval, which meant that she was able to run faster, on purpose, and we ran with each other the whole time. It was a relief for me. I'm not a pushy or demanding person, but it's definitely a double-edged sword: I don't like running away from her, but I know she doesn't like the idea that I'm running slower to stay with her. Oh well, there are worse problems in life!

Oh, I also got to use her PT skills! My legs were tight from my bike/runs lately and she dry needled my legs, which was crazy! If you aren't familiar, it's like deep tissue acupuncture. She finds a tight spot, a trigger point, and pushes in the needle until the muscle starts twitching and releases. It's a CRAZY sensation, and left me sore afterward, but I definitely felt like it worked. Highlight of the needling was when she said, "hey, watch this." Then, she said, "that's your bone." She pushed the needle until it touched my femur, which was pretty crazy to realize!

I've got a light week this week, but I've signed up for a Sprint tri next weekend, my first of the year. I hope everyone is having a good start to the week!
2014-03-11 8:48 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-interesting to hear about the dry needling. I have been reading about it. I have a knot in my lower calf that just will not go away. It doesn't hurt while running but I know I need to deal with it. ART has not resolved it nor has my aggressive rolling with TP Quad Roller or lacrosse ball. Have been debating whether to try graston or dry needling. Anyone else out there with experience in either of the two?

Well, today is a dark day. 20 min test on the bike tonight. Yes, you have all heard me complain about these and words cannot really do justice to the level of hate and dread I have for these. My last 5 and 10 minute tests went fairly well but my cycling power has been off over the last couple of weeks. Now I'm suppose to do 20 minutes at power that I had trouble maintaining for short intervals last week.  Already rationalizing a poor result......on the other hand maybe it will go well.....which would mean that I finished the test without wetting myself and/or having a stroke.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.