BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-19 11:11 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
apparently Jazz just couldn't wait any longer for us to pick and peel the mandarins for her (she actually got one too)

(IMG_1092 (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1092 (2).JPG (566KB - 4 downloads)

2015-07-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Went to a good OWS clinic this morning.  I realized that (a) I suck at sighting/navigation, and (b) my goggles squash my eyes and prevent me from being able to see, hence the sighting problem.  This afternoon, I got this swim mask.  I may look like a bug, but at least I'll be a bug that's going in the right direction.

Oh, and the wetsuit advice helped a lot.  One quick tug with each leg and I got it off.  Yay!

BIG yays to the new gogs which help you to see better and to being able to conquer the wetsuit removal!

2015-07-20 9:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK apparently Jazz just couldn't wait any longer for us to pick and peel the mandarins for her (she actually got one too)

Oh my gosh!  I think the lower hanging mandarins are now in great danger since she knows she can get them!!

2015-07-20 10:18 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK apparently Jazz just couldn't wait any longer for us to pick and peel the mandarins for her (she actually got one too)

Oh my gosh!  I think the lower hanging mandarins are now in great danger since she knows she can get them!!

Too funny. Talk about going for the low-hanging fruit. Did she actually eat it, peel and all?

2015-07-20 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Went to a good OWS clinic this morning.  I realized that (a) I suck at sighting/navigation, and (b) my goggles squash my eyes and prevent me from being able to see, hence the sighting problem.  This afternoon, I got this swim mask.  I may look like a bug, but at least I'll be a bug that's going in the right direction.

Oh, and the wetsuit advice helped a lot.  One quick tug with each leg and I got it off.  Yay!

I know several people who use the Aqua Sphere Vista.  Let us know how you like it!

2015-07-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Lots of life craziness. Ran a 5K on the road, something I hadn't done in a long while. I've been doing 0 "fast" running as it's all been hard efforts on hills so I had no idea how it would translate.

No idea if I will have time for a RR. The course was flat ish, with  maybe a 100' net gain. I was able to use the small "uphills" to my advantage given my current focus. My teammate was also competing and she is much faster than me so I knew I was vying for second place.

That being said, it was a success and I feel good headed into the National Championship this weekend. Make no mistake though, I am going to get my azz handed to me. It's a stacked start list.

2015-07-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Lots of life craziness. Ran a 5K on the road, something I hadn't done in a long while. I've been doing 0 "fast" running as it's all been hard efforts on hills so I had no idea how it would translate.

No idea if I will have time for a RR. The course was flat ish, with  maybe a 100' net gain. I was able to use the small "uphills" to my advantage given my current focus. My teammate was also competing and she is much faster than me so I knew I was vying for second place.

That being said, it was a success and I feel good headed into the National Championship this weekend. Make no mistake though, I am going to get my azz handed to me. It's a stacked start list.

Here's hoping you stay upright!

2015-07-20 1:05 PM

User image

Seattle

Love this!!! 

2015-07-20 1:06 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Yes! That is an excellent goal for the day!

2015-07-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Maybe it won't be quite as big as it looks. Be sure to bring the jetpants though!

Edited by brigby1 2015-07-20 1:20 PM

(3x05_Mr._F_(72).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
3x05_Mr._F_(72).jpg (75KB - 1 downloads)
2015-07-20 1:27 PM

User image

Seattle

Maybe it won't be quite as big as it looks. Be sure to bring the jetpants though!

A-coodle-doodle-do! A-coodle-doodle-do!

2015-07-20 1:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

A-coodle-doodle-do! A-coodle-doodle-do!

Has anyone in this family actually seen a chicken?

2015-07-20 2:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

In. Cred. Ible.  Great job, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out at the National Championship!

Thanks to you and Ben for a little A.D. humor! 

2015-07-20 4:27 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Look at you go, Ms. Speedy!!  Can't wait to hear about Nationals.  IRRC, last year you were only 6 weeks out from surgery, so this year should be much better.

2015-07-20 9:37 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by melbo55

In. Cred. Ible.  Great job, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out at the National Championship!

Thanks to you and Ben for a little A.D. humor! 

I have tried to get into that show 4 times now and fail to see the humour in it.
2015-07-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm with Darren, but I have to keep quiet, given my current TV viewing.  Not really highbrow stuff in my DVR right now.

I have an appointment at the LBS to test out a set of rollers today. I'm not sure whether to go with rollers or a trainer.  My objectives are overall conditioning, increased training opportunity and more bang for my buck out of training time.  From what I have seen, rollers will work my balance/core more than a trainer, but may not provide the same leg workout.  I'm not currently using any Zwift or TR or such, but I will probably try to dial in that ability for future use.  Also, I may see about a front rack, which can lock in the fork for trainerish ride.  Mel at the LBS is a fan of the rollers, stating that the overall workout for her was happening in less time than with a trainer.  I kind of trust her input, but any other input would be appreciated.

2015-07-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm with Darren, but I have to keep quiet, given my current TV viewing.  Not really highbrow stuff in my DVR right now.

I have an appointment at the LBS to test out a set of rollers today. I'm not sure whether to go with rollers or a trainer.  My objectives are overall conditioning, increased training opportunity and more bang for my buck out of training time.  From what I have seen, rollers will work my balance/core more than a trainer, but may not provide the same leg workout.  I'm not currently using any Zwift or TR or such, but I will probably try to dial in that ability for future use.  Also, I may see about a front rack, which can lock in the fork for trainerish ride.  Mel at the LBS is a fan of the rollers, stating that the overall workout for her was happening in less time than with a trainer.  I kind of trust her input, but any other input would be appreciated.

Since you have to balance, then you will get some more areas worked than locked into a trainer. Haven't used my rollers in a long time though. Took too much concentration all the time. Could never just go for a ride. I always wonder about when people say the same workout in less time. Maybe in terms of wearing yourself out or burning off calories or something with the additional balance muscles being used, but not for power production. Would that front rack be for the occasional use? If you use it full time it takes away some of the advantages of using the rollers. I also wasn't getting enough resistance since there was now only 1 wheel down instead of the two. Maybe what she sells can accommodate that.

2015-07-21 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Since you have to balance, then you will get some more areas worked than locked into a trainer. Haven't used my rollers in a long time though. Took too much concentration all the time. Could never just go for a ride. I always wonder about when people say the same workout in less time. Maybe in terms of wearing yourself out or burning off calories or something with the additional balance muscles being used, but not for power production. Would that front rack be for the occasional use? If you use it full time it takes away some of the advantages of using the rollers. I also wasn't getting enough resistance since there was now only 1 wheel down instead of the two. Maybe what she sells can accommodate that.

Talking to her, she said she felt the same in 40 minutes from a roller ride or 60 minutes on the trainer. All the additional muscle involvement from the core and ancillary supporting muscles as opposed to "only" using legs on the trainer. Not really, but I think you get what I mean.  A front rack is on the wish list, but I guess that needs to tie in with resistance for a good "legs only" session.

2015-07-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Talking to her, she said she felt the same in 40 minutes from a roller ride or 60 minutes on the trainer. All the additional muscle involvement from the core and ancillary supporting muscles as opposed to "only" using legs on the trainer. Not really, but I think you get what I mean.  A front rack is on the wish list, but I guess that needs to tie in with resistance for a good "legs only" session.

I wouldn't buy into that.  Some people say 45 minutes on the trainer is like 60 outside and with what you are saying I could ride rollers for 35 minutes to get the same workout as 60 minutes outside?  I think not.  I suspect that to a large extent, time in the saddle is time in the saddle and that you get out of it what you put into it.

Chris, definitely take Ben's comment into consideration -- "Took too much concentration all the time. Could never just go for a ride."  I think that if you want to watch TV or do spinnervals or give Zwift or TranerRoad a try or anything like that, the trainer will give you more flexibility down the road.

2015-07-21 8:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

I wouldn't buy into that.  Some people say 45 minutes on the trainer is like 60 outside and with what you are saying I could ride rollers for 35 minutes to get the same workout as 60 minutes outside?  I think not.  I suspect that to a large extent, time in the saddle is time in the saddle and that you get out of it what you put into it.

Chris, definitely take Ben's comment into consideration -- "Took too much concentration all the time. Could never just go for a ride."  I think that if you want to watch TV or do spinnervals or give Zwift or TranerRoad a try or anything like that, the trainer will give you more flexibility down the road.

Yeah, that comparison is what I was thinking of too. Riding in different situations can bring on fatigue more than others, but that doesn't mean the workout was the same. If you're supposed to do a 2 x 20' then you need to get in the 2 x 20'. Can't stop at 15' for each and call it the same. Likewise for say a 90 minute ride.

I picked up a KK Rock n' Roll unit and been using that instead.

2015-07-21 10:43 AM

User image

Seattle

I would definitely agree with this. It seems like it would become more of a good excuse not to get the workout in rather than making it an easy go-to.

I guess my follow-up would be what are you looking for out of the trainer/rollers that you aren't getting on the road? I read your list and other than the increased training opportunity (I'm just thinking of the option to ride at night since you have generally great weather) it seems that the road covers everything else. 

2015-07-21 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I would definitely agree with this. It seems like it would become more of a good excuse not to get the workout in rather than making it an easy go-to.

I guess my follow-up would be what are you looking for out of the trainer/rollers that you aren't getting on the road? I read your list and other than the increased training opportunity (I'm just thinking of the option to ride at night since you have generally great weather) it seems that the road covers everything else. 

I think that Chris said before that he is looking to get out of traffic.  There will probably be very little traffic in his trainer room!

2015-07-21 10:52 AM

User image

Seattle

Look at you go, Ms. Speedy!!  Can't wait to hear about Nationals.  IRRC, last year you were only 6 weeks out from surgery, so this year should be much better.

Ah, good memory! Yeah! That was the track and field national championship (10K.) This will be my first mountain running nationals  I WILL have the advantage of going in much more prepared.

2015-07-21 11:03 AM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, that comparison is what I was thinking of too. Riding in different situations can bring on fatigue more than others, but that doesn't mean the workout was the same. If you're supposed to do a 2 x 20' then you need to get in the 2 x 20'. Can't stop at 15' for each and call it the same. Likewise for say a 90 minute ride.

I picked up a KK Rock n' Roll unit and been using that instead.

Again, agreeing with Ben on that.

Everyone seems to have touched on this a bit but I imagine a huge part of that "feeling" of getting the same workout in 40 minutes is due to the mental effort. I think people often forget about the full stress profile any given week. Which is why non-specific things like work and family stress should be acknowledged in your training load. 

However, these outside stresses don't provide the same physical adaptations you are trying to get by doing a specific workout so that is why you need to do the 2 x 20' instead of the 2 x 15'. Or at least that is how I see it.

*I would however encourage the purchase of the rollers for a really great drinking game

2015-07-21 11:47 AM

User image

Denver, CO

To anybody interested in trail running, the US Trail Running Conference is in Estes Park, CO (right next to Rocky Mountain National Park) on Oct. 7-10, 2015.  Estes Park is about 1.5 hours from Denver.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68404 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29149 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67872 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.