Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-08-19 1:58 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Great RR, Nat! Sounds like you had a solid performance. I particularly like the part where the water temp is listed at -8c (17f). I’d expect a slightly faster swim in those conditions, seeing as how it could be more of a run… :D

Haha! I guess I meant 17 C well spotted!

It was a tough swim, had to break the ice as we moved forward (where’s Nicole and her axes when you need her?) by the way yes, where are you Nicole?

2023-08-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5286511

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I’m taking the day off to work around the house. On tap…installing new garage door opener, mow the lawn, maybe paint the bathroom (depending on how long the first two take). No rest for the wicked.
2023-08-19 8:51 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I’m taking the day off to work around the house. On tap…installing new garage door opener, mow the lawn, maybe paint the bathroom (depending on how long the first two take). No rest for the wicked.

Doesn’t sound much like a day off….

Practice bike today, turned around a little too early so only rode 38.5k but I worked out the whole 40k would have taken 1h22 minutes at that speed so that’s the goal for the race.

2023-08-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: #5286515

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Day off (from training)…you don’t want to see what happens if I take a day off from everything!!
2023-08-20 10:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Day off (from training)…you don’t want to see what happens if I take a day off from everything!!

Haha, yes, I guess I don’t!

Practice run today, 56:46.
Practice swim + practice bike + practice run +2 minutes transition (based on last year’s T times in the sprint) = 2h55:50

Accounting for the accumulated fatigue of doing all 3, I should still be under 3 hours…

Found out that the only other woman doing the oly did one last year in 2:54, so if she has not improved too much since then, I will give her a run for her money….

2023-08-20 10:18 AM
in reply to: #5286517

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another day off today after quivering quads (and really poorly written installation directions for the garage door) ended yeaterday early. I thought I was recovering well, but my legs were shaky after just wandering around my garage for five hours—up and down the ladder a few dozen times too.

Today’s exercise is one in patience. We’re having lunch with my MIL, whom I do not like. At least it is going to be at a pub with good beer.

2023-08-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Here’s my short RR

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Faster on the Swim, the bike and the run.

Great job. Doesn't get much better than that.
2023-08-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike. try https://www.freeconvert.com/to get around silly apple files How is the vacation going?

@Gretchen. I would imagine after being overseas for months, then coming home into peak Iornman training, you've got quite a list of home improvement jobs waiting for you. There is nothing as frightening as a wife waling around the house with a tape measure and notebook

Nice job getting everything done, but quivering quads a week after the race doesn't sound ideal. Make sure you do let yourself properly recover. The full distance is hard, and we have to respect that. You've still got lots of racing to come this season got to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot to start it.

@Nathalie, The fatuige will slow you down, but the race day adrenaline will speed you up. Sub 3 hours is looking very very likely. Enjoy your taper week, don't let the lizard brain take over
2023-08-20 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Week 3/19 done. Another solid week I'm happy with.

Swim, x1, 750m, 20min
Bike, x4, 4hr 30min (all zwift)
Run, x3, 3hr 30 min 26.5km

8hr 20min total.

And, to channel my inner Gretchen, Sunday Mr 6 and I built a set of shelves in his bedroom to display his lego/store some larger toys on. Nothing like home improvement jobs to aid with SBR training.

Other than closing my eyes for '30sec' and waking up an hour later on Friday morning (resulting in a missed swim) I hit all my workouts. Thats 3 build weeks in a row, so very ready for a bit of a cutback week.

I've got 2 seperate work trips scheduled this week. So planning minimal training those days. Should be 1-2 swims, 3 bikes and 2 runs. 5-6 hours total. Not following the plan religiously this week, just fitting things in as best I can with the travel.

Have a good week guys.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-08-20 4:25 PM
2023-08-21 2:48 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Week 3/19 done. Another solid week I'm happy with.

Swim, x1, 750m, 20min
Bike, x4, 4hr 30min (all zwift)
Run, x3, 3hr 30 min 26.5km

8hr 20min total.

And, to channel my inner Gretchen, Sunday Mr 6 and I built a set of shelves in his bedroom to display his lego/store some larger toys on. Nothing like home improvement jobs to aid with SBR training.

Other than closing my eyes for '30sec' and waking up an hour later on Friday morning (resulting in a missed swim) I hit all my workouts. Thats 3 build weeks in a row, so very ready for a bit of a cutback week.

I've got 2 seperate work trips scheduled this week. So planning minimal training those days. Should be 1-2 swims, 3 bikes and 2 runs. 5-6 hours total. Not following the plan religiously this week, just fitting things in as best I can with the travel.

Have a good week guys.

Solid week Andrew! You are on a roll now. Hope you manage to fit as much training as possible between work trips this week.

I agree with Andrew Gretchen, take the time to recover, still plenty of racing to do this season!

As for me, yes, the dreaded taper week is here. Not quite sure (at 9:55 am on the first day) what to do here. I am still on annual leave from work so plenty of time on my hands. Thinking about doing half the swim today, half the bike tomorrow and half the run Wednesday.

Maybe golf Thursday and rest day Friday. Race is on Saturday.

A little worried about nutrition. It’s not my first oly (first one was 2 years ago). Whatever I did then worked, but I can’t remember and have not written anything about it in my RR on here (except that I ate breakfast after picking up my starter kit. Oh thanks for that 2021-Nat, very helpful).

Have a great week everyone!

2023-08-21 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  what a fantastic race report to follow up a fantastic race!  Your positivity and humor (which seemed like your real mantra) just carried you through the day and crushing a PR by almost two hours is nuts - a well-deserved finish for all the work you've put in this year and it's great how you drew on your previous experience to race more confidently this year; yes I wonder how poop lady turned out I really liked how you walked faster (that makes a huge difference) and micro-managed the bike course;  enjoy your time off from training and get all those Gretchen projects done!

@Nathalie:  LOL 2021 Nat is useless, right?  Olys are tough for nutrition and it really depends on the weather, too.  I've noted in the past I'm a no solids dude so rely on Gatorade, etc. to fuel by feel (which apparently works sometimes and not others); enjoy your taper which sounds like you have well-planned; I definitely see a sub-3 result for you

@Andrew:  thanks for the converter - that did the trick in about 30 seconds; and another great week completed in training for you and now just do what you can while traveling

We got back on Saturday from Mexico after a very chill vacation doing mostly nothing and eating mostly everything (my little minion is a horrible influence on me as we plow through junk food like crazy when we're together); got in a couple of runs, three short bikes and a few long walks in addition to some floating around in the Caribbean which was absolutely perfect.  Weather was scorching, even for Canucn in August with temps in the low/mid 90s and oppressively high humidity.  My daughter and I went for a run at like 6:45 AM and it was horrible. 

Starting a six-week "build" (more like maintain) for a sprint I'm doing October 1st.  I definitely need a race to clear the stench of my disaster earlier this month and it's down the street from me

2023-08-21 9:26 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad you found a race to crush to forget about your recent disaster!
2023-08-21 9:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!

Man catching up was a ROLLERCOASTER!

First of all, Gretchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, congrats on your IM! That time is amazing and once I figure out how to read your race report (it's only showing me page 1), I am super pumped to read about it! Either way, absolutely amazing!!

Andrew, love that you ran with your little one while he rode his bike. What a heartwarming photo, and it's building super great habits for him!

Mike, sorry to hear your oly didn't go so well. Haven't read the report yet but hoping to get to it later today. I am not doing the Baltimore Tri this year, as I decided to go to Ocean's Calling, which is the same weekend. Incredible lineup though, so I'm really excited!
I think that's a good idea though, and should definitely be cooler than your race last weekend was.

Nat, crushing it as usual! Love all the races your doing and especially that you are just dominating past Nat. Keep up the great work!
2023-08-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've missed you all! Sorry to be so MIA, but I am back and ready to hit the ground running.

I was struggling to get back into a routine the last few weeks. Between work being really stressful, traveling a bit, and not being able to get into a solid sleep routine, I've just been really off.
A few weekends ago I had a local axe tournament. Had friends staying with me, and lots of drinks were consumed. One of the friends works at a brewery and brought a bunch of beer from there, so it was fun trying a few different ones.
The next weekend I travelled to NY for a friend's bday. We went to our other friend's friend's cabin, lol, and it was very relaxing but not very active. Also a bit of a murder cabin, so we stayed outside as much as possible. Got to watch the meteor shower though, and woke up early for the sunrise.

Between not working out much and drinking more than usual, I decided to take a break from alcohol again. I've been steady at my heaviest weight, and even though I'm eating ok, I feel stuck. Last week I worked on getting back into my early to bed, early to rise routine, but was having trouble with the early to rise part. I'm feeling much more well rested and this is going to be a great week for a few reasons.

1) Yesterday I woke up and went to play some volleyball. Today I woke up and ran, just 20 minutes, but it felt great. I had to tidy a bit after for my cleaning lady to come this afternoon, so couldn't do longer, but already have a plan for tomorrow. And I have vball again tonight.
2) I am leaving for Chicago Wednesday afternoon, but going with a super active and healthy friend. Our plans include biking around the city, likely walking everywhere we can, and going kayaking. I might have a cocktail here or there, but neither of us are really feeling the night life. We'd rather explore the city during the day. I've never been so am really excited.
3) My birthday is coming up, and my goal for my last year in my 30s is to be the healthiest version of myself. I'm going to make a plan that is easy to stick to, and might talk to my mom about coming up with incentives to keep me motivated. Or maybe with my friend I'm going with this weekend. I feel like it has to be external. If I want a new workout outfit, and don't meet my goals, I will just buy it anyway. But what if I give my money to someone else and either they give it back or keep it depending on if I keep my goals or not? Trying to think through the incentives.

Woof, long post, but if you made it this far, all ideas are welcome for incentives!
2023-08-21 12:45 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@ Andrew--solid week and looks like you've got a solid plan to deal with the upcoming work travel

@Mike--glad you found another race. I withdrew from my last race in 2019 because I just wasn't feeling it, and then 2020...and 2021...and most of 2022 were without races due to Covid and then my medical issues and then training for the IM. I can tell you from personal experience, you DO NOT want to close a season with a bad race!

@Nat--welcome to taper! You're gonna smash your race. I love that past Nat is not very helpful...ate some breakfast. Yup...who knows what. I mean, if you are like me, you eat the same thing every single day...except race day, when you decide to try new stuff for whatever reason!

@Nicole--great to see you back!! I posted a pdf version of the race report a day later (I think). I just switched to a Mac and didn't remember, so I wasn't thinking that folks wouldn't be able to read the pages file. I can read it!

Good start to the week for me. I went to the pool and swam 3000 yds with masters. At some point today I have to pick a new plan to follow to keep myself in shape for the two HIMs I signed up for in the same week at the end of September. I figure if I pick up a plan five weeks out, that won't be too difficult to maintain with my current fitness, but will still have the taper. Now...just to figure out how to taper for three races in the span of 8 days, two of them being HIM.

Today's non-tri project was to clean my office at school. I haven't really worked in my office since 2017/2018, so it has become kind of a dumping ground for stuff as I drift in and out on teaching days. It was a disaster. Four hours later...I probably at least won't die under an avalanche of outdated paperwork or trip trying to navigate my single path between the door and my chair.

Attachments
----------------
893DB90C-E695-4C6E-B320-F30BCBAE398D.heic (2028KB - 9 downloads)
2023-08-21 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good to hear from you, Nicole.  Sorry life has been a little crazy for you...one day at a time to get it back on track.  Also, I tried to send you the PDF version of Gretchen's report via PM, but it didn't work so ignore your message.    The converter Andrew linked above worked great.

Got in a couple of short workouts this morning...22 min on the bike hitting all the zones and a two-mile run.  Run felt great even with close to 90 degree temps here relative to running in Mexico last week.

2023-08-21 2:47 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah! She’s back! Good to hear from you Nicole! Good luck with the weightloss. Cutting down on alcohol is a good way to reduce calorie intake without compromising nutrition. It helped me a lot this year, (damp 2023 is still going strong).

Re incentives, not quite sure. Maybe paying a professional to help you would mean you stick to it and would keep you accountable? This would have to be the right person though, someone who understands you need to fuel to train and that the number on the scale isnot everything.

I’ll try to think about incentives….
2023-08-21 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - re: incentives / motivation...does your health insurance provide for health coaching?  Ours does and I work with one on and off.  They're pretty good about figuring those motivators if they ask the right questions. I know that in general they're better at working with people with more serious health issues like diabetes / obesity / etc., but I think the motivators might apply to both.

2023-08-22 6:17 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First post-140.6 run. It was short (~30’) and pretty ugly. BUT! I listened to my body and came home when it started feeling off. My new plan called for an 1:04 interval run, which I knew right off I wasn’t going to do intervals. I thought the hour might not be out of reach. Anyway, a few niggles in the knee and hip, accompanied by copious sweat (we’re in a heat dome right now—85F at 5am), combined they convinced me to turn it in for the day. It felt good to be out there again though.

Nicole—I’ll think about infinitives.
2023-08-22 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nicole—I’ll think about infinitives.

Just avoid the split ones...they're nasty. 

2023-08-22 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

6 AM Pain Cave workout...45 bike, 20 run (minutes, not miles...), 30 strength/core/yoga.  Done. 

@Gretchen...nice work listening to the body; you're only like 10 days out from your IM and you still have a lot of fatigue to unload

@Nathalie...bouncing off the walls yet?

@Andrew...I think I missed you by about a few minutes this morning (your evening) on Zwift in London if my time zone math is correct

2023-08-22 9:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
@Nathalie...bouncing off the walls yet?

Not yet, quite enjoying taper week so far to be honest. Changed the plan a little and took a rest day yesterday, just biked to the lake with the dog to swim with her a few minutes.

Run today, bike tomorrow and swim on Thursday is the new plan.

On Friday I will be cycle guide for a blind girl at a ‘try to tri” organised by the Swedish federation on Saturday’s race site (ie, on my doorstep). Never rode a tandem before, that should be interesting….
The girl in question is not an athlete by any means so it won’t be hard cycling,which I would not have agreed to on the day before my record shattering Oly.

2023-08-22 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Nathalie...bouncing off the walls yet?
Not yet, quite enjoying taper week so far to be honest. Changed the plan a little and took a rest day yesterday, just biked to the lake with the dog to swim with her a few minutes. Run today, bike tomorrow and swim on Thursday is the new plan. On Friday I will be cycle guide for a blind girl at a ‘try to tri” organised by the Swedish federation on Saturday’s race site (ie, on my doorstep). Never rode a tandem before, that should be interesting…. The girl in question is not an athlete by any means so it won’t be hard cycling,which I would not have agreed to on the day before my record shattering Oly.

That's really cool, Nathalie.  And a great big deposit into the good karma jar before the race. 

2023-08-22 9:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie, that sounds like a really awesome pre-race warm up!

Thanks for the incentive ideas! I tried paying a professional last year, but once life got in the way I fell off the healthy habits (per usual). Got some great tips though so plan on incorporating them into my "this is 39" plan
I will look into the health coaching, as I think that is something that is included with my insurance. Or at least it used to be, they used to cold call me all the time (didn't love that).

Got in a 20 min Peloton ride this morning followed by a 10 minute core workout. Vball last night went well too, got in a solid hour and a half of play. My body is definitely feeling it and I love it.

I've also been super productive this week, which I always am when I travel because I actually make lists of all the things I need to do and stick with it (another thing I plan to incorporate into the "this is 39" plan).
2023-08-23 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Solid day for me today.  2400 in the pool (supposed to be 2500 but I miscounted a set...and yes I have watch that tells me how far I've cumulatively gone LOL), 30 min bike ride with 5' @ 100 % and 2 x 1' @ 125%, then some core work.  I'm liking this training for sprints thing. 

Hope everyone is having a good week and good, safe travels!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland