BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2011-12-05 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED

Thanks for the reminder Rene. 

Quote of the day:

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forward." -Soren Kierkegaard.

2011-12-05 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3926704

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
kimmax - 2011-12-05 12:02 PM

You're a nut! 

Maybe you should wait to announce the winner on the 22nd - the one year anniversary of your first post re: this mentor group!!!

Wow, hard to believe that this group has been together for almost a year. Good stuff!
2011-12-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3926633

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-05 11:32 AM

RunRene - 2011-12-03 8:58 PM The suspense is killin me!!   Wink

Muhahahahahahaah!!

THE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR OUR MENTOR GROUP WILL BE ANNOUNCED TOMORROW AT 11 AM!!!

Wow!  I'd like to start by thanking everyone who helped me get through this year.  I really don't deserve such an award and all of you should be taking a piece of it home with you.  I can, however, use the huge cash prize - baby needs new shoes!!  Thank you so much, Bobby!  I'll send you the address to mail the check.

...what?!?  You haven't announced it to everyone yet?!?  Was I the only one you told at 11?!?

2011-12-06 1:55 PM

User image

Ah David

A little bit of a delay folks.  My wife was driving last night and a herd of about 8 deer ran out into the road and into my wife's van!!  Thank God my wife and daughter are okay.  One of the deer is dead and boy did our Sienna MiniVan do itself proud protecting my family and taking it on the chin.  Totally took the hit.  So scary.  They hit my wife and daughter's door.  Wife went to the hospital but was released within a few hours.  The new announcement date will be tomorrow at 11 AM.  Stay-tuned.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-12-06 1:56 PM
2011-12-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3928478

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 2:55 PM

Ah David

A little bit of a delay folks.  My wife was driving last night and a herd of about 8 deer ran out into the road and into my wife's van!!  Thank God my wife and daughter are okay.  One of the deer is dead and boy did our Sienna MiniVan do itself proud protecting my family and taking it on the chin.  Totally took the hit.  So scary.  They hit my wife and daughter's door.  Wife went to the hospital but was released within a few hours.  The new announcement date will be tomorrow at 11 AM.  Stay-tuned.

Thanks in advance for the award, and I am glad to hear that everyone is okay. Scary!
2011-12-06 2:15 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Ah David

wow - that must have been scary for them - for your daughter - and for your wife trying to put on a brave face for your child.  Glad to hear everyone is well.  Sorry about the car.  Is that kind of thing covered under insurance in the US?  Act of God clause or something?

2011-12-06 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Ah David

Oh deer!  Glad your family is okay; I am sure that was a scary experience. 

2011-12-06 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Ah David

Wow scary stuff. Very glad to hear all is well w/the family.

So, I assume venison will be served at the award ceremony?

2011-12-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3928527

User image

Expert
WA
Sammeg - 2011-12-06 12:31 AM

So, I assume venison will be served at the award ceremony?

Venison... LOL!!!!!

2011-12-06 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3928376

User image

Expert
WA
tdl1972 - 2011-12-05 10:45 PM

Wow!  I'd like to start by thanking everyone who helped me get through this year.  I really don't deserve such an award and all of you should be taking a piece of it home with you.  I can, however, use the huge cash prize - baby needs new shoes!!  Thank you so much, Bobby!  I'll send you the address to mail the check.

...what?!?  You haven't announced it to everyone yet?!?  Was I the only one you told at 11?!?

LOL!!!  Lovin the sense of humor from this group!!

2011-12-06 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-05 11:55 PM

Ah David

OK that is some wicked stuff!!....sorry to hear about this accident and I am glad to hear everyone is OK!! 

I bet your daughter was tripping out being hit by eight deer!...did you tell her that maybe they were in a hurry to get to the North Pole? Wink

Last year a deer ran into our car but luckily there was no damage.

Again, glad everyone is safe!

2011-12-06 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Growing up in Maine, I can't tell you how common getting hit (and badly injured) by a deer was so I an really happy that your wife and daughter are okay!  Go go minivan!

As far as the group award goes, at least my performance this year leaves me a good chance of getting most improved next year.  

2011-12-06 4:32 PM

Regular

been a lurker these days....wow glad to hear you guys are ok.  Scary, here in LA, instead of deers, you would probably have people on their iphones walking out in front of you.

by the way, after the killer windstorm here in LA, register about 100mph wind in our area, finally got power back on after five days.  i can't imagine how that would be like if we were out in the midwest or east coast without power and heat.

2011-12-07 5:52 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Funny post David!  So this is where it's clear that I'm not a real competitor.  I don't think there should be a winner!!!

I think we've all done some pretty amazing things this summer. 

Bobby did Placid and Philly and learned a LOT about the type of athlete he wants to be (triathlete vs. marathoner). 

Rene became a lean muscle machine and completed his first IM not to mention PR'ing in a bunch of races - never losing his focus or drive. 

Greg represented his country running his IM on September 11th and put forth a solid performance.

Ted proved that with a positive attitude and a drive to finish - you can accomplish anything  
Imagine what he could do with some serious training!!!

Jeff juggled a newborn, family life and still raced a good oly this season.

George is the solid, constant performer adding yet another great season under his 6year? 7 year racing streak?  Check in now and he's still going strong to become a lean machine.  Really inspiring.

David has gone from running a quarter of a mile to 3 through perseverence - never giving up.  LOVE IT!!

Mike, Chava - sadly this wasn't your year but I can't wait to see what fire you unleash next year.

Shawn - you found inspiration and know what you need to do.

We lost a few along the way and while they aren't logging hopefully they're still moving.

And lastly me... saving the best to last ha ha.  Did my first 100mile century ride, beat last year's oly time even with an insane swim and... I completed a challenging HIM which wasn't even in the books woo hoo!  My new slogan:  I'm not fast but I can last

We're all winners if we walked away from this season learning more about ourselves and feeling inspired to be better in our own way.  Yes - the holiday season brings out the sap in me!!

2011-12-07 6:50 AM

User image

Thanks for the kind words everyone - I am so grateful my wife and daughter were not harmed.  Because we're good drivers and never filed a claim with our auto insurance, they lowered my $500.00 deductible to $250.00.  I can live with that.  I have to drop the van off this morning and get a rental car.  Fun - fun. 

And no venison Ted, the poor deer that perished spoiled inside.  Shame.  But that was funny.  Now... on to the awards...

2011-12-07 7:24 AM

User image

Like in the high school year book.  We're going to list a series of awards.  Oh, and I agree with Marcia's year-review 100%.

Mentor Group Clown: Ted.    Thanks for a lot of genuine laughs friend.

Most Improved: David.   You are Mr. Perservence, keep at that running!

Strength & Honor - God Bless America Award:  Greg.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for serving our country and defending freedom.  There was never a question in my mind that a soldier would not capture his goals.

Most Consistent:  Mike.  You did some great training and had some fast racing before injury struck, and you are battling through that injury.  There is nothing harder than to push through and be consistent when you are rehabbing.  I tip my hat. 

Most-likely to Disappear and Reappear:  Shawn!! 

Most Likely to Snag an Award Next Year:  Jeff. 

Co-Mentor of the Year:  George!  Thanks a lot all the insight and help you've offered the group.  You are an Ironman stalwart.

Which leaves one last award and two contenders. . .     I have to get my daughter on the bus, and drop the van off at the collission shop, and jump in a rent-a-car.  Upon my return later today... all shall be revealed...          

2011-12-07 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3929260

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-07 8:24 AM

Like in the high school year book.  We're going to list a series of awards.  Oh, and I agree with Marcia's year-review 100%.

Strength & Honor - God Bless America Award:  Greg.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for serving our country and defending freedom.  There was never a question in my mind that a soldier would not capture his goals.

Most Consistent:  Mike.  You did some great training and had some fast racing before injury struck, and you are battling through that injury.  There is nothing harder than to push through and be consistent when you are rehabbing.  I tip my hat. 

Co-Mentor of the Year:  George!  Thanks a lot all the insight and help you've offered the group.  You are an Ironman stalwart.

Which leaves one last award and two contenders. . .     I have to get my daughter on the bus, and drop the van off at the collission shop, and jump in a rent-a-car.  Upon my return later today... all shall be revealed...          

Wow, thanks, Bobby!! This year was my third attempt to get back into shape and start running again.  The words of encouragement from you and the other members of this group were invaluable in keeping me going at times.  Thank you for your time and inspiration!  You have been a great mentor and I am looking forward to another great year next year!!

In an unrelated note, there was a story on the AP wire last night from the North Pole:  It is with a sad and heavy heart that we report the death of Comet and injuries to Blitzen, Donner, Dasher, Prancer and Cupid.  It seems they were struck by a vehicle while performing a practice run just south of Canada.  A cover story involving local hunters was strategically leaked soon after the incident.  Donner and Prancer received broken legs, Dasher lost an antler, and Blitzen and Cupid each suffered a mild concussion.  Each is in "stable" condition and is expected to recover in time for their Christmas Eve run.  A memorial service for Comet is planned for Saturday evening.  Details to follow.

2011-12-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3929490

User image

tdl1972 - 2011-12-07 10:51 AM
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-07 8:24 AM

Wow, thanks, Bobby!! This year was my third attempt to get back into shape and start running again.  The words of encouragement from you and the other members of this group were invaluable in keeping me going at times.  Thank you for your time and inspiration!  You have been a great mentor and I am looking forward to another great year next year!!

In an unrelated note, there was a story on the AP wire last night from the North Pole:  It is with a sad and heavy heart that we report the death of Comet and injuries to Blitzen, Donner, Dasher, Prancer and Cupid.  It seems they were struck by a vehicle while performing a practice run just south of Canada.  A cover story involving local hunters was strategically leaked soon after the incident.  Donner and Prancer received broken legs, Dasher lost an antler, and Blitzen and Cupid each suffered a mild concussion.  Each is in "stable" condition and is expected to recover in time for their Christmas Eve run.  A memorial service for Comet is planned for Saturday evening.  Details to follow.

My wife and daughter are gonna be in therapy for yeeears now!!  Thanks David!

2011-12-07 10:04 AM

User image

So it's down to Marcia and Rene.  It is oh-so, oh-so close - really.  I could cop out and just say it's a tie; but how unsatisfying would that be.  Really.  In life there should be only one clear winner.  And let's face it, any of us will take Second Place any time or day and be happy with it. 

Drum roll please.....................

2011-12-07 10:50 AM

User image

Yeah, so I'm not a fan of ties.  In triathlon races there is no such thing.  So I had to find a tie-breaker.  I had to.  I measured all aspects of heart, determination, grit, juggling family, kids, work ... and still.  A stinkin' tie!! 

So ultimately it came down 'going back to the basics'.  I went all the way back to Page 1 and read both athlete's intial post introducing themselves and boldy posting what their specific goals were.  Both athlete's posted their goals, and then even set another goal later that they both accomplished.  So both athletes succesfully set goals and through pure guts and determination accomplished those goals.  So the slimmest of margins tie-breaker came down to: who posted their specific goal first... 

And the winner of the DREAM CHASER'S Set a Goal and Capture it Mentor Group Triathlete of the Year Award goes to, Marcia!!! 

Marcia was the first member to join the group.  She has been an active consistent member.  Her Attitude has been superb.  Her original goal was not to a measley Canadien Metric Century - but an American 100-mile Century.  On the Century Ride she faced many dark times, and had the option of calling quits at the Metric Century marker.  BUT SHE DIDN'T.  She dug deep and she accomplished her goal.  It was Marcia vs.  Herself.  And she didn't quitShe won against herself. 

This feat alone would have put her in the running for the award.  But would not have been enough to take the 1st Place title.  Mid-season, then signing up for Muskoka 70.3 -- one of the most challenging, hilly 70.3's around; commiting to tackling it and putting in all the necessary work, and then battling though and crossing that tape after 70.3 miles of sbr'ing was just awe-inspiring. 

So Marcia, here is your well-deserved trophy.  It's so big, you can't move it so you'll just have to settle on visiting it, or seeing it in this picture.  

I'd like to award Rene a very well-deserved, uber-close 2nd Place!!  Like Marcia, you were also a consistently active mentor member, very positive, motivating to me and all the others.  To be honest, you whipped my a$$ but good at both the Ironman and Marathon distance.  And if you ever start your own Mentor Group, I'd love to be a mentee under you.  Loved reading your blog all year, and you just really set it on fire with all your tremendous training and equally tremendous results. 

You started the year off with plantar fascitis and were able to successfully accept suggestions from other members, and as a result you were able to train through and recover from it.   And not just recover but go on to ROCK your first Ironman with a sick-awesome time; and then go on to Boston Qualify at a Fall Marathon!  Congratulations on a breakout 2011 season.

Rene, dude, You Are the Man!!

Thanks to all the members.   Stay tuned for my personal year-end wrap-up and a new annoucement of next years group.  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-12-07 10:55 AM
2011-12-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3929490

User image

Expert
WA
tdl1972 - 2011-12-06 7:51 PM

LOL!!! Great story!

2011-12-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3929618

User image

Expert
WA
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 8:50 PM

Yeah, so I'm not a fan of ties.  In triathlon races there is no such thing.  So I had to find a tie-breaker.  I had to.  I measured all aspects of heart, determination, grit, juggling family, kids, work ... and still.  A stinkin' tie!! 

So ultimately it came down 'going back to the basics'.  I went all the way back to Page 1 and read both athlete's intial post introducing themselves and boldy posting what their specific goals were.  Both athlete's posted their goals, and then even set another goal later that they both accomplished.  So both athletes succesfully set goals and through pure guts and determination accomplished those goals.  So the slimmest of margins tie-breaker came down to: who posted their specific goal first... 

And the winner of the DREAM CHASER'S Set a Goal and Capture it Mentor Group Triathlete of the Year Award goes to, Marcia!!! 

Marcia was the first member to join the group.  She has been an active consistent member.  Her Attitude has been superb.  Her original goal was not to a measley Canadien Metric Century - but an American 100-mile Century.  On the Century Ride she faced many dark times, and had the option of calling quits at the Metric Century marker.  BUT SHE DIDN'T.  She dug deep and she accomplished her goal.  It was Marcia vs.  Herself.  And she didn't quitShe won against herself. 

This feat alone would have put her in the running for the award.  But would not have been enough to take the 1st Place title.  Mid-season, then signing up for Muskoka 70.3 -- one of the most challenging, hilly 70.3's around; commiting to tackling it and putting in all the necessary work, and then battling though and crossing that tape after 70.3 miles of sbr'ing was just awe-inspiring. 

So Marcia, here is your well-deserved trophy.  It's so big, you can't move it so you'll just have to settle on visiting it, or seeing it in this picture. 

Congratulations Marcia!! 

I have to agree that your internal debate about going forward in your century ride was inspiring.  Tossing a 70.3 on top of that was risky, bold and ambitious...but in the end you did it!!

2011-12-07 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Congratulations, Marcia!!!!

2011-12-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3929618

User image

Expert
WA
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 8:50 PM

I'd like to award Rene a very well-deserved, uber-close 2nd Place!!  Like Marcia, you were also a consistently active mentor member, very positive, motivating to me and all the others.  To be honest, you whipped my a$$ but good at both the Ironman and Marathon distance.  And if you ever start your own Mentor Group, I'd love to be a mentee under you.  Loved reading your blog all year, and you just really set it on fire with all your tremendous training and equally tremendous results. 

You started the year off with plantar fascitis and were able to successfully accept suggestions from other members, and as a result you were able to train through and recover from it.   And not just recover but go on to ROCK your first Ironman with a sick-awesome time; and then go on to Boston Qualify at a Fall Marathon!  Congratulations on a breakout 2011 season.

Rene, dude, You Are the Man!!

Thanks to all the members.   Stay tuned for my personal year-end wrap-up and a new annoucement of next years group.  

Bobby,

Thank you for the kind words!! 

This year was definitely a breakout year for me!  As you know...even though I am the one who crossed the finish line at these races,  I couldn't have done it without family, friends and you all!! Bobby, thanks again for mentoring, inspiring and encouraging us...but most of all making the journey a little bit funner.  From "Setting Goals", to "Monthly Themes" to "Triathlete of the Year" award....it was fun!!

Cheers to EVERYONE for a great season!!!  Enjoy your off season!....we deserve it!

2011-12-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3929903

User image

Master
TORONTO
RunRene - 2011-12-07 2:06 PM

Bobby,

Thank you for the kind words!! 

This year was definitely a breakout year for me!  As you know...even though I am the one who crossed the finish line at these races,  I couldn't have done it without family, friends and you all!! Bobby, thanks again for mentoring, inspiring and encouraging us...but most of all making the journey a little bit funner.  From "Setting Goals", to "Monthly Themes" to "Triathlete of the Year" award....it was fun!!

Cheers to EVERYONE for a great season!!!  Enjoy your off season!....we deserve it!

Ahhh gee shucks!  Thanks Bobby.  Holy crap!  I can't believe I beat the pants of IRONMAN RENE!!!  Probably the first and last time ha ha

And ditto ^^ on what Rene said.  There are times when you doubt yourself and having a group supporting you through those times - having confidence in me when I had little - it definitely helped me reach some of those goals.  And it was REALLY fun!!!  Hoping everyone joins the same group next time!

Just curious - where and what is that statue thingy?  Is that Sydney, AU?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60