Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-08-27 2:24 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Andrew...we need to do something spectacular soon...the ladies in this group are lapping the field on us. 

@Gretchen:  that is awesome to go to worlds!!  And Australia to boot - maybe we can have a big BDAS reunion to cheer you on!

2023-08-27 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Great job Nat!! As always, I’m in complete awe of your transition times. My wife asked if you swim in your shoes to get that T1 time! :D (keeps on mind her only experience with transition times are mine, which tend to be *ahem* leisurely)

No, I don’t swim in my shoes but they are clipped to my pedals

Also, the transition area is quite small and only about 50 m from the water.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-28 3:10 AM
2023-08-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Incredible effort, Nathalie.  And you actually wrote something useful in your RR this time. 

Yes, 2024 Nat won’t be able to moan about the lack of information about breakfast!
2023-08-27 3:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

After a long talk with my wife, we’ve decided I’m doing worlds! I paid the deposit for Team USA and we booked an apartment in Townsville. Pretty stoked!

Also, the race is not a full, but is longer than a half. It is currently listed as a 3-4km swim, 120km bike, and 30km run. It plays to my strengths with swim and bike being a bigger proportion of the race than the run. Super happy too, because the race is on the last day of the festival and the closing ceremonies are that day. I was kinda bummed to miss them, but with the shorter race, probably will be able to hit it too, depending on the timing of both.

YES! That’s great! When is it?
2023-08-28 5:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
As I wrote in my RR, my home race attracts less and less participants every year and I’m worried that this may have been the last time.

The problem is not restricted to this race, a lot of small local village races are experiencing the same drop in participation. In fact, the one I was signed up for next week has been cancelled because of that. (On the other hand, another similar race I did in July was sold out so there are still people out there who want to race/test.)

I have contacted the organisers to offer my help and I am trying to come up with ideas to attract more people (and earlier)

Shorter course 300/16/3 (as at that sold out race this year) to attract beginners
Close registration later, not a week before the race. (and pray for good weather for those last minute decisions.)
Increasing price. The earlier you register, the cheaper
Collaboration with other local events to offer a better price if you sign up for 2 or 3
Drop the oly, too close to Kalmar Ironman week to attract routined triathletes. Only 20 this year, 14 last year.
Be more active on social media,
contact local companies to get them to enter teams in the relay.

Any other ideas? How is the triathlon scene in the US and NZ?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-28 6:18 AM
2023-08-28 6:28 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie...there has definitely been a decline in triathlon participation around here over its peak maybe 15 years ago.  The biggest local company went under about 7-8 years ago (they used to have probably the biggest Olympic race on the east coast near me, where they'd have over 5,000 racers).  Savageman which was a famous half-ironman race out in the Maryland mountains is gone. 

Our local sprint/Oly company (Kinetic Multisports) is still going strong and we get good participation numbers (usually 200-400 per race).  They run about 15-17 events a year from April to October all within about 2-300 km of me, many much closer.  They have a long-standing relationship with the venues and local jurisdictions where they race.  To my knowledge only one race they've managed has fallen off the calendar, and honestly it was probably not needed as they race at the same place a month earlier.  There are a few other companies that run 1-3 around here.  Honestly, there's no excuse to not find a race around here as there's one at least every other weekend, but the days of having four different companies that manage 10-15 races a year with 1K+ participation numbers is done.

Ironman dominates the long course scene around here (and all of the U.S. for that matter, Gretchen's non-IM-branded race notwithstanding).  Eagleman 70.3 and Ironman Maryland still do well but don't sell out like they used to (Eagleman would sell out in a few days of opening).

With respect to your local race, it's tough for a small event to do well.  It costs more or less the same amount of money (at least here in the U.S.) for traffic control / safety, and if you don't have enough participation it's a money loser.  I agree serious racers trend towards the long course over Oly...I'd guess the Olympic distance probably draws the least number of racers overall because it's a brutal distance and doesn't have the cache of IM-branding.  It's also upon us as triathletes to do what you're doing and get involved where we can (volunteering, promoting, recruiting, etc.).

I'd imagine Gretchen has a very different experience locally as she lives in the middle of the country in a MUCH less populated area than I do (we probably have 60 million people living within that Kinetic race reach).  And Andrew lives on an island more or less. 

2023-08-28 8:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your input. So if I get this right, races are managed by companies. Over here, other than Ironman, I haven’t heard of any other companies doing that. The races I do are all independently managed by local tri clubs, (hence my idea to cooperate with other local clubs to offer a good deal on 2 or 3 races).
I think they are subsidized by the Swedish Federation but they are non profit organisations.

2023-08-28 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks for your input. So if I get this right, races are managed by companies. Over here, other than Ironman, I haven’t heard of any other companies doing that. The races I do are all independently managed by local tri clubs, (hence my idea to cooperate with other local clubs to offer a good deal on 2 or 3 races). I think they are subsidized by the Swedish Federation but they are non profit organisations.

Yes, mostly for-profit companies.  I don't know of any that are publicly-traded, but I don't think Kinetic makes a ton of money and the owners do it because they love the sport.  There have been some mergers over the years, as well as races that have changed hands.  Kinetic bought a company (Piranha Sports) when the founder retired, and they pulled in their race schedule, including the one I just did in Delaware.   They also run the races that are national age group qualifiers for USAT. 

I think your idea to band together is a good one, and you could even have like a "Swedish Triathlon Cup" series of races where you compete with others across multiple races.  Kinetic does that here and they have people that will race like 5-8 times.  Triathlon clubs also compete. 

2023-08-28 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back from New York City, a little lighter in the wallet but we got a really nice walk around Central Park.  On Sundays they close the perimeter road (the one you ride in Zwift) I swear there were like 100K people exercising yesterday (running, cycling, playing with their dogs).  NYC is such a cool place (I think I heard a dozen different languages spoken there) - couldn't live there for any length of time but I love visiting, especially when the weather was beautiful yesterday.

2023-08-28 11:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Good luck Nat!!

I swam 2600 yds this morning and then this evening probably did a workout’s worth of excited pacing around and celebrating. I got an email from USAT today letting me know I qualified for the World Championships in long course. August 2024 in Townsville, Australia! So very stoked!!

Wow! That is sooo cool! Congrats!

Amazing!!!!
2023-08-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nat, way to CRUSH that race! I like how you're not just going after Nat from years ago, but also Nat from last week.
I have to know though...what song were you singing during your race?

Gretchen, Eeeeek! Worlds sounds amazing and a great excuse to get to Australia. If there's other races around the same time, and I'm not totally broke from travels by then, could be cool to have a BDAS fan club cheering you on!

Mike, glad you had fun in NY! It's definitely inspiring to be in a different city and see how different it is to Baltimore, and how much they utilize the parks and other outdoor spaces.

Andrew, I love that we have similar goals for the last year of our 30s. Let's crush it together!
Also, good luck with all the travels. That definitely makes it harder to stick to goals, but sounds like you're still getting a good amount of work in.

2023-08-28 2:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a wonderful trip to Chicago last week! I did a strength workout Tuesday, day before my trip, and then packed Wednesday morning before heading out that afternoon. As suspected, we did a LOT of walking. My step goal started around 7k and ended around 15k by Sunday. It was grossly hot out Wednesday and Thursday (it was a "heat dome" apparently), but we had lovely weather after that. Thursday morning we still went on a run. Nothing too crazy, around 10 min/mile pace with stops to look at fountains and such. There's a fountain in Millenium park (right where we were staying) that spits water every 5 minutes, and we went running around in that after we were done.

Friday went on a bike ride up and down the lakefront. Otherwise just walked everywhere, went shopping, did an architectural tour, went to a live recording of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me which was AMAZING, saw an old friend from college, and ate lots of amazing food. We had a drink or 2 on Wednesday and Friday, and a few more on Thursday (maybe 5 total), but otherwise we went to bed relatively early most nights and woke up early to get outside and see the city. Overall a really fantastic trip.

2023-08-28 2:22 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone for the incentive ideas! Amber (my friend I was traveling with) and I were working on a plan, and I should have something more concrete to share later this week. I love the idea of letting everyone know of a race I'm doing. I wonder if I can get them to commit a certain amount to a charity a month if I hit certain goals (so if I don't hit my goals, I'm letting that charity down). That way I have a race of some sort to focus on, and incentive to hit certain goals each month leading up to it.

I agree Andrew, it would have to be a longer race. Seeing as how I do not want to do a HIM or IM, I like the idea of making it another Ragnar/ultra-ish type race. Having more time to train for it would definitely be nice!

I will share my plan with you all once I have it! It's going to be focused on different areas of my life, not just fitness/nutrition, though that is the part I have focused on the most so far.
2023-08-28 3:28 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Nat, way to CRUSH that race! I like how you're not just going after Nat from years ago, but also Nat from last week.
I have to know though...what song were you singing during your race?

https://youtu.be/ltXXml-Bxp8?si=UfRaelDQdHWdc4Ov
2023-08-28 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Back from my travels, and back into normal life.

Friday, 90 minute ride watching the warriors. 7th win in a row (longest streak since 2002) sitting 3rd, top 4 spot locked up for playoffs. 1 round of regular season to go. Up the Wahs! - the zwift ride was ok too, 4x15min intervals in Z2 range in aero position.

Saturday, early start, travel, long day onsite no workout
Sunday, about 12 hours onsite, no workout
Monday, early start onsite, travel home, no workout.

Totals for the week:
Swim: 0
Bike, x4, 3hr
Run, x1, 1hr
Strength and mobility, x3, 30 min (first sessions since Feb)

Not great. But I knew last week would be a struggle with work getting in the way of my play time, so scheduled to be a light week, was a light week.

Looking forwards to 2 good build weeks coming up.
2023-08-28 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Re: Triathlon participation.

In NZ we have a pretty good Tri scene. There are multiple Tri events and series (super sprint - Double Iron distance), Running events, OWS events, mass participation bike events. all within driving distance all throughout the year. As a country we've got a long history of endurance type events for example Ironman NZ is the 2nd oldest Ironman in the world after Hawaii. Ironman numbers are down in recent times, but I think a lot of that is due to covid, both the uncertainty of if you will be actually able to race, and closed borders keeping the internationals away, with the 2024 70.3 worlds in NZ I think the coming 18 months is going to see big numbers.

For your scene Nathalie, you say most of the events are club run. I'd think the clubs need to get together and come up with a combined calendar, where all the clubs support a few specific events that get good numbers rather than everyone doing there own thing and everyone going bust and shutting down. It's not tri, but the yacht racing scene in Auckland (which I was very involved with throughout my teens and 20s) has gone through a similar thing over the last few years, dropping numbers and the need to consolidate the calendar.

Yes, it means that rather than 10 events you may end up with 5. But 5 viable events with good support that will have a future. Otherwise you could end up with nothing.

2023-08-28 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

After a long talk with my wife, we’ve decided I’m doing worlds! I paid the deposit for Team USA and we booked an apartment in Townsville. Pretty stoked!

Also, the race is not a full, but is longer than a half. It is currently listed as a 3-4km swim, 120km bike, and 30km run. It plays to my strengths with swim and bike being a bigger proportion of the race than the run. Super happy too, because the race is on the last day of the festival and the closing ceremonies are that day. I was kinda bummed to miss them, but with the shorter race, probably will be able to hit it too, depending on the timing of both.

Your wifes support is amazing. I'm sure you'll turn it into a holiday or something, but wanting to fly to the otherside of the world for a triathlon, and your wife saying yes, let's do it is great.

Did you make it to townsville during your previous Australian experience. My cousin got married over there years ago. It's a beautiful part of the world. Just be weary of the wildlife.
2023-08-28 7:24 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole, glad that you had a nice weekend in Chicago. And I'm looking forwards to seeing your incentives plan.

@Mike, I agree, the ladies have been smashing it. Our time will come though, don't worry about that. Considering the fact you're feeling so good now I tend to agree, there's a good chance you messed up the taper. Add that to racing angry and you never gave yourself a chance. At least you've got a sprint coming up to avenge yourself.

@Nathalie, Great job on your race, and your longest race report to date. I'm sure 2024 Nat will thank you when she's planning her race day breakfast. I also like what you said about focusing on technique, rather than trying to swim fast. There's a quote I tell myself all the time swimming, 'slow is smooth, and smooth is fast' Pretty much the same thing, get your technique right, speed will look after itself.

Back to work for me.
Have a good week everyone.
2023-08-29 2:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Back from New York City, a little lighter in the wallet but we got a really nice walk around Central Park.  On Sundays they close the perimeter road (the one you ride in Zwift) I swear there were like 100K people exercising yesterday

Just like in Zwift then, did you walk through people?

Glad you had a good trip!
2023-08-29 2:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Thanks everyone for the incentive ideas! Amber (my friend I was traveling with) and I were working on a plan, and I should have something more concrete to share later this week. I love the idea of letting everyone know of a race I'm doing. I wonder if I can get them to commit a certain amount to a charity a month if I hit certain goals (so if I don't hit my goals, I'm letting that charity down). That way I have a race of some sort to focus on, and incentive to hit certain goals each month leading up to it.

I agree Andrew, it would have to be a longer race. Seeing as how I do not want to do a HIM or IM, I like the idea of making it another Ragnar/ultra-ish type race. Having more time to train for it would definitely be nice!

I will share my plan with you all once I have it! It's going to be focused on different areas of my life, not just fitness/nutrition, though that is the part I have focused on the most so far.

Looking forward to reading your plan and do my (small) bit to support you.
2023-08-29 2:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Back from my travels, and back into normal life.

Friday, 90 minute ride watching the warriors. 7th win in a row (longest streak since 2002) sitting 3rd, top 4 spot locked up for playoffs. 1 round of regular season to go. Up the Wahs! - the zwift ride was ok too, 4x15min intervals in Z2 range in aero position.

Saturday, early start, travel, long day onsite no workout
Sunday, about 12 hours onsite, no workout
Monday, early start onsite, travel home, no workout.

Totals for the week:
Swim: 0
Bike, x4, 3hr
Run, x1, 1hr
Strength and mobility, x3, 30 min (first sessions since Feb)

Not great. But I knew last week would be a struggle with work getting in the way of my play time, so scheduled to be a light week, was a light week.

Looking forwards to 2 good build weeks coming up.

You still managed a decent number of hours under the circumstances.

And Yes! I am telling you, this is OUR year (yes, I am a warriors supporter now).

2023-08-29 2:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Re: Triathlon participation.

In NZ we have a pretty good Tri scene. There are multiple Tri events and series (super sprint - Double Iron distance), Running events, OWS events, mass participation bike events. all within driving distance all throughout the year. As a country we've got a long history of endurance type events for example Ironman NZ is the 2nd oldest Ironman in the world after Hawaii. Ironman numbers are down in recent times, but I think a lot of that is due to covid, both the uncertainty of if you will be actually able to race, and closed borders keeping the internationals away, with the 2024 70.3 worlds in NZ I think the coming 18 months is going to see big numbers.

For your scene Nathalie, you say most of the events are club run. I'd think the clubs need to get together and come up with a combined calendar, where all the clubs support a few specific events that get good numbers rather than everyone doing there own thing and everyone going bust and shutting down. It's not tri, but the yacht racing scene in Auckland (which I was very involved with throughout my teens and 20s) has gone through a similar thing over the last few years, dropping numbers and the need to consolidate the calendar.

Yes, it means that rather than 10 events you may end up with 5. But 5 viable events with good support that will have a future. Otherwise you could end up with nothing.

Thanks for your input, yes, I think that’s the way to go
2023-08-29 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back to the regular world, Andrew.  Work travel is tough and it seemed you had some really long days there as well.  You did well getting a little bit in and now just back at it. 

Started the week with an off day yesterday and then 90 minutes in the Pain Cave this morning...40 min VO2 max intervals on the bike, a short 20 minute easy run and then some dumbbell and planks work.  The third interval (4' @ 105%) was a little rough but I was able to play mind games (I count down by 1 every 6 seconds so at one minute left it's "10" then at 54 seconds "9" and so forth.  Seems to work for my harder intervals.  Double tomorrow with a morning swim and lunch bike/run brick.

2023-08-29 9:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Still a little off sleep-wise from my trip. Managed to drag myself out of bed and do a 30 minute bike boot camp with Tunde though, and straighten up my house a little. Planning to meal prep tonight before trivia, and probably do some of my incentive planning, since I have 1 week left at 38...

Andrew I agree with Nat, with how busy you were, you still managed to get in some work, and that in itself is huge. Glad you have time to get back in a groove now!

Nat, that song is very fun! Thanks for sharing
2023-08-29 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Started my training week off Tuesday evening with a 60 minute jog on the treadmill.

Wednesday, I snuck out of the office and had a rare lunchtime swim. Something about working Saturday and Sunday makes me feel less guilty about that than usual. Tonight will be on the bike for 90 minutes, with some cruise intervals.

@Mike, Nice workouts. 4' @ 105% is tough. Good job. For tomorrow, if a brick is part of a double, does that not make it a triple?

@Nicole, good to get out for your bootcamp workout

@Nat, How's the post race high going? What does your training look like for the next wee while. You've got a 10k right so into a run focus?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland