BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-02-07 2:18 AM
in reply to: #4612190

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
justinfss - 2013-02-06 10:23 PM

Howdy BDAS'ers

Well, it's official... midnight shifts and my being lazy have totally derailed my nutritional goals and weight loss.... it's depressing.

The power went out in my neighborhood this evening so before my shift started my wife and I had to actually converse and hang out together.!!!...!!!  During the conversation we both agreed that we felt like garbage and it probably was because we had stopped watching our food intake. I think we are going to have to recommit  to some kind of lifestyle, and not just a one month thing. I personally have a long way (50lbs at least) to go to reach my goals. My wife is a good weight but she wants to feel good and be healthy as well.

Good news though is that I got my push-ups and yoga in under the wire here at work!

Hang in there Justin.  Keep on Keepin on.

2013-02-07 2:23 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Had a rousing game of ice hockey tonight, nothing like thor's 4 games in one week, but it was fun indeed.  I'm enjoying a Ninkasi ESB 22 oz. tonight, as I've kinda fallen off the wagon of late.  I haven't rewarded myself in a while due to the sore hip and missing all my workouts last week.  I worked out the last 2 days, so I am preemtively treating myself.  Off day tomorrow, and back at it Friday with another 6.2. 

Keep hitting it hard BDAS'ers.   Spring racing season will be upon us soon.

Prost!

2013-02-07 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
justinfss - 2013-02-07 12:23 AM

Howdy BDAS'ers

Well, it's official... midnight shifts and my being lazy have totally derailed my nutritional goals and weight loss.... it's depressing.

The power went out in my neighborhood this evening so before my shift started my wife and I had to actually converse and hang out together.!!!...!!!  During the conversation we both agreed that we felt like garbage and it probably was because we had stopped watching our food intake. I think we are going to have to recommit  to some kind of lifestyle, and not just a one month thing. I personally have a long way (50lbs at least) to go to reach my goals. My wife is a good weight but she wants to feel good and be healthy as well.

Good news though is that I got my push-ups and yoga in under the wire here at work!

Justin - No doubt - there is room for improvement in your diet, but take a moment to consider all that you are battling against this month: 1) shift change, 2) new daughter who isn't sleeping consistently, 3) cold temps and the winter blahs.  Cut yourself a little slack and realize that life can be rough some time and give your self some credit for sticking to your workouts and finding a way to make it happen consistantly.  

When it comes to nutrition - start small and make easy changes that you know you can stick with.  I'm eating far better than I ever have before - but it took me 15 months to get there.  Begin by identifying the area where you regularary fall short.  For me - it was late night eating and drinking - where I would eat sometimes a thousand calories or more after 8pm.  My solution was to eat a bowl of ice cream right before going to bed as a reward for not pigging out.  Those 150 calories of deliciousness were enough incentive to make it easier to say no to the cookies and beer (and even with the ice cream - I sitll fall off the wagon from time to time...

So, what's 1 think you and your wife could do?  Good luck and let us know how we ca support you!

2013-02-07 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4612220

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2013-02-07 2:23 AM

Had a rousing game of ice hockey tonight, nothing like thor's 4 games in one week, but it was fun indeed.  I'm enjoying a Ninkasi ESB 22 oz. tonight, as I've kinda fallen off the wagon of late.  I haven't rewarded myself in a while due to the sore hip and missing all my workouts last week.  I worked out the last 2 days, so I am preemtively treating myself.  Off day tomorrow, and back at it Friday with another 6.2. 

Keep hitting it hard BDAS'ers.   Spring racing season will be upon us soon.

Prost!

Nice work getting back on track. There's nothing wrong with a  little reward for your hard efforts.  Keep it up and make sure to get that 6.2 in on Friday.

2013-02-07 6:06 AM

User image

Expert

Morning:

So, I woke up this morning and got ready for work only to realize as I walked through the kitchen that it was only 12:45.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... So after getting up a second time, I made my way to the gym and put in a tough 1000.  I just didn't have it today as I'm sure my times will show when I enter them later... But I burned the calories which will pay off tonight at the dinner my wife's school is holding for her and other teachers to thank them for years of service...

Short run tonight... fighting off the soreness in my left knee again... 

2013-02-07 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
justinfss - 2013-02-06 11:23 PM

Howdy BDAS'ers

Don't get too down on yourself about getting off track on nutrition.  It happens.  I haven't been doing that great on nutrition or exercise this week either, sometimes crap happens.  It doesn't mean that you can't make the decision to get back to it.  I think sometimes, we need to get off track to remember why we are doing what we are to begin with.  Just use how crappy you feel when you don't eat right as motivation to get back to eating right!  I know after not running all week, I felt like crap and when I finally decided to make myself go out last night, I felt great afterward!  You will get through it and do fine!

2013-02-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4612267

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Qua17 - 2013-02-07 5:06 AM

Morning:

So, I woke up this morning and got ready for work only to realize as I walked through the kitchen that it was only 12:45.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... So after getting up a second time, I made my way to the gym and put in a tough 1000.  I just didn't have it today as I'm sure my times will show when I enter them later... But I burned the calories which will pay off tonight at the dinner my wife's school is holding for her and other teachers to thank them for years of service...

I hate it when that happens!  Good luck with your run tonight and reward yourself with a good dinner with the wife!  Don't suppose they will serve beer at the school dinner . . .

2013-02-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4612267

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Morning:

Nice job battling through the morning...both times! It is hard as hell to get up after having a sleepless night!

2013-02-07 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

short run in this am. right knee a little sore on the lateral aspect. not in the joint. I think this still may be part of my tight upper/lower legs and ITB. Suggestions from the runners in the group? I think I should probably try to do a p90x legs/back dvd to help build and stretch things. I think my glutes are not as strong as needed.

Keep strong everyone!

Jared, from a nutrition standpoint I think sometimes it is easier to think of addition instead of subtraction. Add healthy foods (veggies and fruits) in high quantities so that there is not so much room for the other stuff. If I do that I really don't feel like eating much other bad stuff.

2013-02-07 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2013-02-06 11:23 PM

Howdy BDAS'ers

Nice job on the yoga and pushups!

I found with my weight loss it was all about moderation and portion control. If you are deleting items that you love to eat, you will be miserable. Eat the foods you love but just less. As Bobby, said earlier, eat the healthier foods first, then only eat half the cake(insert food you love) instead of all of it!

2013-02-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4612020

User image

Champion
Calgary
Qua17 - 2013-02-06 7:25 PM

BigDH - 2013-02-06 2:56 PM nice run today.  Went with my buddy Ryan.  Guy runs in no shoes.  We did some drills.  It was fun.  He is super fast and his drills are super weird.  Involve running on ice and jumping from boulder to boulder.  Anyways.  Good times.

I wonder who makes fun of who... you guys are both beastly!  Don't his feet get frostbitten?

oh, no, he did his drills in these barely there rubber coverings for feet that.  But the other guy I know, Paul, yep, barefoot on the ice.  Barefoot on his bike.

2013-02-07 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Back in the water today.  500 yards total.  I stopped for 30 seconds but no more than 60 seconds after each 25.  The endurance will come quicker than I think since the lengths were a million times easier than 2 days ago.  Biggest plus was not standing there for 10 minutes scared to death.  Who knows maybe it was the just the fact I know I'm not gonna drown and feel so much more confident.  Got a 3.29 mile walk in there also.  Can't wait for the knee to be better so I can run and add the bike.

Edited by Burd 2013-02-07 1:48 PM
2013-02-07 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

This week has been progressing oddly for me.  I'm still adapting to the trainer road plans, and I'm not sure if it's too easy, too hard, or just right.  We'll see how time progresses.  My last swim and my last run were also just weak, but I think that's a byproduct of some stress, which should now be relieved.

Today I took, and passed, the Illinois real estate broker's exam, which is a nice little benefit.  I'm an attorney, so I don't have to take the classes, just the exam.  Long story short, when I buy a house, I will get to cut a commission check to myself.  I was probably over-stressing on it, but it's one less thing to worry about now.  

So now I can focus on house-shopping and triathlon more.

-Charles

2013-02-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4613475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
mirthfuldragon - 2013-02-07 6:24 PM

This week has been progressing oddly for me.  I'm still adapting to the trainer road plans, and I'm not sure if it's too easy, too hard, or just right.  We'll see how time progresses.  My last swim and my last run were also just weak, but I think that's a byproduct of some stress, which should now be relieved.

Today I took, and passed, the Illinois real estate broker's exam, which is a nice little benefit.  I'm an attorney, so I don't have to take the classes, just the exam.  Long story short, when I buy a house, I will get to cut a commission check to myself.  I was probably over-stressing on it, but it's one less thing to worry about now.  

-Charles

Congrats on passing the exam and it being out of the way

2013-02-07 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
mirthfuldragon - 2013-02-07 5:24 PM

-Charles

Congrats on the exam and continuing with trainerroad.

Just finished the pushups. 35-35-30.

2013-02-07 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4612421

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-02-07 8:01 AM

Morning:

I hate it when that happens!  Good luck with your run tonight and reward yourself with a good dinner with the wife!  Don't suppose they will serve beer at the school dinner . . .

Nope - just wine... That didn't stop me from having a few well earned glasses!  Not only was it a celebration of my wife's 10 years (as well as other teachers) but it's the 16th anniversary of the night we met.  Get this - she was drunk and I was sober... Who would believe it today?!?

2013-02-07 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4613148

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-02-07 1:47 PM Back in the water today.  500 yards total.  I stopped for 30 seconds but no more than 60 seconds after each 25.  The endurance will come quicker than I think since the lengths were a million times easier than 2 days ago.  Biggest plus was not standing there for 10 minutes scared to death.  Who knows maybe it was the just the fact I know I'm not gonna drown and feel so much more confident.  Got a 3.29 mile walk in there also.  Can't wait for the knee to be better so I can run and add the bike.

Alex - Outstanding swim... and the fact that you have gotten over your nerves when it comes to water is outstanding!

I know you are cautious about doing yoga with your knee but be sure to make the most of the down time by doing some stretching so that you will be ready to go once you get back to running and biking...

2013-02-07 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
mirthfuldragon - 2013-02-07 5:24 PM

-Charles

Charles (I'm channeling my inner Judge Smailes) Way to go Mr. Scholarship winner!

2013-02-07 11:14 PM
in reply to: #4613148

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Burd - 2013-02-07 2:47 PM Back in the water today.  500 yards total.  I stopped for 30 seconds but no more than 60 seconds after each 25.  The endurance will come quicker than I think since the lengths were a million times easier than 2 days ago.  Biggest plus was not standing there for 10 minutes scared to death.  Who knows maybe it was the just the fact I know I'm not gonna drown and feel so much more confident.  Got a 3.29 mile walk in there also.  Can't wait for the knee to be better so I can run and add the bike.

Right on Alex!!! Kicking A$$ and Taking names!

Wow, BT is pretty strict on the bleeping!

Edited by justinfss 2013-02-07 11:18 PM
2013-02-07 11:17 PM
in reply to: #4612428

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
bobddsmd - 2013-02-07 9:05 AM

short run in this am. right knee a little sore on the lateral aspect. not in the joint. I think this still may be part of my tight upper/lower legs and ITB. Suggestions from the runners in the group? I think I should probably try to do a p90x legs/back dvd to help build and stretch things. I think my glutes are not as strong as needed.

Keep strong everyone!

Jared, from a nutrition standpoint I think sometimes it is easier to think of addition instead of subtraction. Add healthy foods (veggies and fruits) in high quantities so that there is not so much room for the other stuff. If I do that I really don't feel like eating much other bad stuff.

I know you do the foam rolling Bob, but have you thought about finding a good Massage Therapist that can really dig into your legs?

2013-02-07 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4613598

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Burd - 2013-02-07 8:22 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-02-07 6:24 PM

-Charles

Congrats on passing the exam and it being out of the way

Wow, Congratulations! That is friggin awesome, wanna be my next Agent and split 50/50 with me???

2013-02-07 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Last midnight shift tonight!

Really looking forward to getting back on a normal rotation and destroying a run to earn a Friday night reward!  Also next week my Mom is coming up for a visit with us ( I think mainly it is to see her Grand Daughter..... She is quite the draw) so that should allow some time off for some good workouts!

Hope everyone's Friday goes well!

2013-02-08 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4613790

User image

Veteran
Dallas
justinfss - 2013-02-07 11:17 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-02-07 9:05 AM

Keep strong everyone!

I know you do the foam rolling Bob, but have you thought about finding a good Massage Therapist that can really dig into your legs?

I have had some success with that in the past. This knee thing feel different. I think my hips are weak and my form is likely not great.

My plan is to start doing p90x legs/back (did part of it this am) and core. I have fallen off the strength training side of things. I am also going to try to get to my tri club. I joined a club when I bought the bike (it was a wash after the discounts). It is a great group but most of their workouts start at 0900 on Saturday. I assured the young tri coach chap that I was usually enjoying a coffee at that time after I had worked out, made my family breakfast and taken a shower. I am going to try and make their OWS and will try to hit an evening running workout.

Also, is anyone else having upper spine area pain from all these pushups? My pecs are fine but my muscles in the spinal area feel pretty rough.

2013-02-08 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

6.2 miles are in.  found some of my speed back.  Hip is now just really sore around the socket.  ran through it today.  I feel like it's on the mend and getting better.  long run this weekend with maybe a trip to gym for a b/s.

More importantly, Oatmeal stout tonight from Ninkasi.  I've only had a few stouts in my time, so I'm kindof looking forward to this.

2013-02-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4613793

User image

Expert
justinfss - 2013-02-07 11:23 PM

Last midnight shift tonight! 

Really looking forward to getting back on a normal rotation and destroying a run to earn a Friday night reward!  Also next week my Mom is coming up for a visit with us ( I think mainly it is to see her Grand Daughter..... She is quite the draw) so that should allow some time off for some good workouts! 

Hope everyone's Friday goes well!

Amen to the end of the midnight shifts!  Don't hesitate to put your mom to work and get out there!  Question - does your mom have better taste in beer than your MIL with her fondness for Molson 67?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97