BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-09-16 2:08 PM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed

Originally posted by ramiedd Well, my weekend of training did not go as planned, but all is not lost.. It started Saturday morning when we found out we had family in town and that means lots of family events. so After my son's soccer game I had planned on swimming 2 miles. We were meeting for lunch so I had to cut it back to 1.5 mile which was not bad. Saturday night we had them over for dinner which meant beer and steak. I did however cook a bit of pasta on the side just to get some carbs in my body. Sunday morning is where everything went south to a point. I had a limited time and planned an 80 mile bike ride followed by 6 mile run but we had a birthday party at 1:00 PM which meant time was at a premium. Woke up and headed out but when I got about 4 miles from home, I had a blow out. I changed the tube and put it back together and the new tube blew before I got on the bike. Looked closer and realized that my tire had a blown as well... Fortunately I carry two spare tubes and changed the tube and used a dollar bill to prevent the tube from blowing out again. I rode back home and changed the tire and got some spare tubes and hit the road. Rode out and believe it or not got another flat at around 50 miles. I changed it and continued on my way home. I made it back home from the ride at 1:30 so I had to scratch the run and meet the family at the party. I got my 80 miles in and felt like I have a good feel for pacing on the bike etc and had not issues with what I took in as far as nutrition. I also felt like I could run the six miles after I got off the bike. This is different for me because when I did the half last year, I got off the bike and I was cramping and had no clue if i could walk a mile much less run 13. All in all not a lost weekend but as I keep saying, I have to be a dad and husband first. Run my business and then do what I can with what time I have left. 6 weeks to go..............

Sounds like you balanced things out as best you could Eddie!  Nice work this weekend!

2013-09-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen Nice job this weekend everyone! I'm just getting back from vacation. We were in Vegas for a week. I helped my wifes aunt purchase a new car, did some gambling, ate at some good resteraunts, and drove an Audi R8 for some laps around LV Motor Speedway. Had a good time! Rained a lot so didn't sit by the pool too much. Unfortunately, I got sick the last few days so that was dissapointing. But it was still relaxing and much needed. Spending a couple days getting better and then I'm focussing on next season. My coach and I already started talking about what races and mapping out a plan. Might as well, since this year was a wash out. I still haven't run, so I'm hoping my PF will cooperate with me next year. Fingers Crossed!

Too bad you got sick, but sounds like a great time otherwise!!

2013-09-16 2:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by acv Congratulation to all you ironman finishers - simply amazing! I have my HIM in 2 weeks and I wanted some advice on tapering. I've learned a lot in the past few years about how to taper but I've been reading Joel Friel's book the triathletes bible and he mentioned feeling flat the day of your race. I know a long tape is not good I learned that during my marathon training last year. I also felt a little flat before my HIM at the end of last year. I plan on doing some extra swims this taper. Last year I think my swim fitness dropped a bit during my taper. I don't plan on doing any long runs or bike ride but I have few bricks scheduled. Anything specific that you can recommend to me?

I have found that keeping the intensity up (race pace, not much faster) but reducing the volume works to keep from going flat.  Like for the marathon this weekend I am doing 3 mile runs, instead of the normal longer ones, but the pace is at or a bit faster than the goal pace for the race.  Plus some strides at even faster paced get thrown in as well.  Swimming, I wouldn't taper longer than a week.  Frequency doesn't get reduced, nor does intensity, but the overall volume drops.

I have found that by the time the taper arrives, most AG athletes are fried and look at it as an oportunity to cut back more than they should.  You will lose a little endurance to get the pep back, but it shouldn't be a total shut down or even close to it.

ETA: As an example of my coaches taper philosophy, 2 weeks out, the weekday training dropped maybe 30%, but 8 days before the race I did do a 3 hour race pace bike ride with a 10 mile race pace brick.  I don't feel that hurt me at all, and probably helped in the confidence department. 

Edited by kenj 2013-09-16 2:16 PM
2013-09-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Veteran
Finished up a good three day block of build up yesterday with a 14 mile run. Lots of positives particularly in the mental and nutrition piece. I did two out and back laps at the local trail of 7 miles each. Since it was out and back it made it into four 3.5 mile chunks. That helped me digest the time and also break down how much I ate and drank. My total average was 9 minute 7 second mile and pushed the last mile but finished comfortable. Since I did the 80 mile ride the day before, I felt a little tired at first but got on a groove which helped mentally. The biggest thing for the three days was the fact that I found a pace that I feel comfortable with and not feel burned out. Taking today off to rest my knees and will push hard the rest of the week. Need week will be a recovery week.
2013-09-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by kenj

Originally posted by acv Congratulation to all you ironman finishers - simply amazing! I have my HIM in 2 weeks and I wanted some advice on tapering. I've learned a lot in the past few years about how to taper but I've been reading Joel Friel's book the triathletes bible and he mentioned feeling flat the day of your race. I know a long tape is not good I learned that during my marathon training last year. I also felt a little flat before my HIM at the end of last year. I plan on doing some extra swims this taper. Last year I think my swim fitness dropped a bit during my taper. I don't plan on doing any long runs or bike ride but I have few bricks scheduled. Anything specific that you can recommend to me?

I have found that keeping the intensity up (race pace, not much faster) but reducing the volume works to keep from going flat.  Like for the marathon this weekend I am doing 3 mile runs, instead of the normal longer ones, but the pace is at or a bit faster than the goal pace for the race.  Plus some strides at even faster paced get thrown in as well.  Swimming, I wouldn't taper longer than a week.  Frequency doesn't get reduced, nor does intensity, but the overall volume drops.

I have found that by the time the taper arrives, most AG athletes are fried and look at it as an oportunity to cut back more than they should.  You will lose a little endurance to get the pep back, but it shouldn't be a total shut down or even close to it.

ETA: As an example of my coaches taper philosophy, 2 weeks out, the weekday training dropped maybe 30%, but 8 days before the race I did do a 3 hour race pace bike ride with a 10 mile race pace brick.  I don't feel that hurt me at all, and probably helped in the confidence department. 

Thanks Ken,
Honestly I am fried! It happened about a week ago and I've had to rest a little more than I wanted too. But I didn't want to complain since a lot of people here just finished a full ironman!

I'm just starting to feel good and sleep good again. I know my recovery isn't what it should be, for instance I did a 68 mile bike ride Friday and then followed it up w/ a 15 mile run Saturday then went to a wedding and didn't get to sleep until 1:00am. I know this is why I'm having trouble recovering from the big workouts.
2013-09-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: acv

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by acv

Thanks Ken,
Honestly I am fried! It happened about a week ago and I've had to rest a little more than I wanted too. But I didn't want to complain since a lot of people here just finished a full ironman!

I'm just starting to feel good and sleep good again. I know my recovery isn't what it should be, for instance I did a 68 mile bike ride Friday and then followed it up w/ a 15 mile run Saturday then went to a wedding and didn't get to sleep until 1:00am. I know this is why I'm having trouble recovering from the big workouts.

One thing that I notice is that I needed to eat a lot more. I was loosing more weight than I wanted and felt weaker. I have made a conscious effort to eat more daily and I believe it has helped.

2013-09-17 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Okay, so here's the report from the race that wasn't. I blew off the first race I registered for Sunday, a sprint, and I thought I might have second thoughts/regrets. Not so. By missing a race, I got in a 21 mile early run, hit the office, did my taxes, got some other fires put out, etc... I could make a habit of this. I'm skipping this Sunday's HIM to get in another run, close the pool, wash the windows, you get the idea. If it wasn't for the cost, i might keep signing up for races just so if I don't go, I get a "free day"... I'm being sarcastic, but not completely. Too much racing can overtax the balance of everything.

Ken, what marathon you doing?
2013-09-18 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Originally posted by ramiedd
Originally posted by acv

Thanks Ken, Honestly I am fried! It happened about a week ago and I've had to rest a little more than I wanted too. But I didn't want to complain since a lot of people here just finished a full ironman! I'm just starting to feel good and sleep good again. I know my recovery isn't what it should be, for instance I did a 68 mile bike ride Friday and then followed it up w/ a 15 mile run Saturday then went to a wedding and didn't get to sleep until 1:00am. I know this is why I'm having trouble recovering from the big workouts.
One thing that I notice is that I needed to eat a lot more. I was loosing more weight than I wanted and felt weaker. I have made a conscious effort to eat more daily and I believe it has helped.

I wish I had that problem Eddie!! 

2013-09-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by bdenehy Okay, so here's the report from the race that wasn't. I blew off the first race I registered for Sunday, a sprint, and I thought I might have second thoughts/regrets. Not so. By missing a race, I got in a 21 mile early run, hit the office, did my taxes, got some other fires put out, etc... I could make a habit of this. I'm skipping this Sunday's HIM to get in another run, close the pool, wash the windows, you get the idea. If it wasn't for the cost, i might keep signing up for races just so if I don't go, I get a "free day"... I'm being sarcastic, but not completely. Too much racing can overtax the balance of everything. Ken, what marathon you doing?

I get what you are saying about too much racing.  I feel like I have either been in taper or recovery since May.  Next year I am thinking only 2 HIM and one full, maybe an aquathon at Peasantman.  But, no where near as much as this year.  Plus some run races, I don't need the recovery from those as much unless I am going for a PR, which I usually don't during tri season.

I am doing the Rochester Marathon, I have done the half several times.  Nice local race on a fairly flat course.  My coach asked me if I wanted to do the half plus add in another 7 or 8 or run the full.  I figured if I was going to go 21 I might as well do the full and have the support and company. 

2013-09-18 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy hump day!!

Swam a little this morning, but otherwise a quiet day. 

2013-09-19 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning!

What is everyone up to?

I got a look at the balance of my training plan through FL.  I am going to become intimately familiar with my bike saddle!  Most of October has 9 to 11 hours a week of saddle time! 

2013-09-19 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Good morning!

What is everyone up to?

I got a look at the balance of my training plan through FL.  I am going to become intimately familiar with my bike saddle!  Most of October has 9 to 11 hours a week of saddle time! 

I got on the bike Teusday and Wednesday my PF was bothering me. So I took the night off last night and moved back my cleats some. Beginning to wonder if the reason I can't get rid of this has something to do with cycling or my cycling shoes!

Going to get back on the bike tonight and give it another shot. My feet were feeling great with the time off I had on vacation. So I guess this is a good time to experiment.
2013-09-19 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Originally posted by Meulen

Good morning!

What is everyone up to?

I got on the bike Teusday and Wednesday my PF was bothering me. So I took the night off last night and moved back my cleats some. Beginning to wonder if the reason I can't get rid of this has something to do with cycling or my cycling shoes!

Going to get back on the bike tonight and give it another shot. My feet were feeling great with the time off I had on vacation. So I guess this is a good time to experiment.

I am sorry that your PF is still bothering you so much. Knock on wood, mine is not bothering me very much right now. I still sleep every night with a Strassburg Sock on and wear my custom orthotics during the day (I have never actually run with them, as they just seem like they would be too much). I never had much of a problem with mine while cycling, except for clipping out for some reason. I hope you get something figured out and get some relief! I really do feel your pain!

Jamie - sounds like you have gotten in some great training! I finally got back to the pool yesterday after a week and a half off. It was hard! I think I am doing a good job with getting my nutrition planned out too. And, the night before my last long run (15 miles) I was feeling so hungry, I ate half the food in the kitchen! I was afraid my run in the morning would really suffer, but it was actually the best run I have had so far! So, I understand what you are saying about eating!

I am doing a BikeMS ride on Saturday. They are now calling for cold and rainy! What fun!

Happy training everyone!
2013-09-19 3:18 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I have a question for all you Ironmen out there. Did you do anything special with your bike before the race? Tune up? Change tubes? And if you did, how far before your race did you do it? Just trying to get everything planned out! Thanks!
2013-09-19 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning!

What is everyone up to?

I got on the bike Teusday and Wednesday my PF was bothering me. So I took the night off last night and moved back my cleats some. Beginning to wonder if the reason I can't get rid of this has something to do with cycling or my cycling shoes! Going to get back on the bike tonight and give it another shot. My feet were feeling great with the time off I had on vacation. So I guess this is a good time to experiment.

I guess that would be good and bad, know what is causing it would be a big step Brian, but finding a solution may still prove to be a challenge.  I hope you figure it out!

2013-09-19 3:44 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by gadgetlaw I have a question for all you Ironmen out there. Did you do anything special with your bike before the race? Tune up? Change tubes? And if you did, how far before your race did you do it? Just trying to get everything planned out! Thanks!

Good question Karen!  I don't do a lot other than normal TLC, like greasing the chain, retorquing any important fasteners.  If it has been a while I may take it in for a tune up. But otherwise I do enough myself to give it a good look.  If you don't do that yourself, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked over.

I wouldn't change tubes or tires unless something looked troublesome to me.  I have different wheels for racing so those tires don't get a lot of wear and tear. 

2013-09-20 12:28 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Hey all - been absent for quite awhile. I guess I don't quite feel like a triathlete at the moment with just the running

I have 1 more long run week then taper before the Chicago Marathon. Was hoping to get in my 20 miler this week, but only made 17 due to time constraints/ trail closures - so I will try again early next week. PF is feeling good - yeah (there is hope!)!

Happy early friday and I hope everyone has a good (and productive) weekend!

2013-09-20 4:41 AM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by robingray_260 Hey all - been absent for quite awhile. I guess I don't quite feel like a triathlete at the moment with just the running I have 1 more long run week then taper before the Chicago Marathon. Was hoping to get in my 20 miler this week, but only made 17 due to time constraints/ trail closures - so I will try again early next week. PF is feeling good - yeah (there is hope!)! Happy early friday and I hope everyone has a good (and productive) weekend!

Good to hear from you Robin and glad the training is going well for Chicago!!  You are going to have a blast at that race!!

2013-09-20 4:42 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TGIF!!

Do we have anyone racing this weekend?  I know Bill is signed up for a HIM, but sounds like you have decided to pass on that. 

2013-09-20 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by gadgetlaw

I have a question for all you Ironmen out there. Did you do anything special with your bike before the race? Tune up? Change tubes? And if you did, how far before your race did you do it? Just trying to get everything planned out! Thanks!

With just over 5 weeks to go (just had to remind you) I did my last trainer ride on the basement yesterday on my tri bike. I am putting my road bike on the trainer for the remaining 5 or 6 indoor training rides. One concern I have is that I sweat like crazy and if I am not careful the sweat will corrode the cables and cable guide etc. I try putting on a towel etc, but still not enough.,

Tonight I am cleaning up the tri bike, grease, lube, adjust, put on the race wheels, etc so all of the outside rides I do will be on the tri bike as it will be for race day. Other than cleaning it before the race, It should be ready to go and I can make any adjustments the next few weeks.
2013-09-20 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran

I wish I had that problem Eddie!! 

Its interesting for me that I have lost so much weight. I used to be one of the biggest guys in my riding group at 185 to 190. I weight myself last week (which I don't do often) and I was at 169. Of course the total weight loss has been over the last two years, but I am not the big gear masher that I used to be. But back to the weight, I was just not eating enough and looking at the calories burned over a long 4 hour ride or two hour run, I was not replenishing and recovering. That may explain why I have fatigue issues sometimes. My body just gets drained from two weeks of hard workouts and tells me to rest.

2013-09-20 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hey Karen,

I'm probably a little more maticulous than most with bike maintainence. My chains get oil every 100 miles, I clean my bikes with a quick detail spray and soft cloth when I come home from rides, and I make adjustments whenever I need them.

Before a race I always go the extra mile. I put it up on the stand and clean it up with the detail spray. While I'm doing that, I look over anything that might need attention. If my chain is getting old, I'll even use a chain checker tool to see if it's stretched or needs to be replaced. (leave enough time to order parts!) I inspect the wheels for any loose or spokes and visually look to see that they are true and run without wobble. I check brake adjustment and run through the gears to make sure they are in adjustment after I lube the cables. I check the headset adjustment and make sure the bars turn free. Take it apart and lube it if need be. I usually, either buy new tires, or make sure the tires I have on have very low miles on them. Then just double check everything in my flat kit is good and/or in working order.

Edited by Meulen 2013-09-20 9:46 AM
2013-09-20 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
So I guess I could put this in a nice check list for you.

Again, I usually do this as a general cleaning of the bike with a detail spray and soft cloth. Be sure to leave enough time to order parts if you need to before a race. Besides general maintainence before a race a good check list of things to go over are:

1. Check if chain is worn or stretched. (Park tools has a good chain checker tool!)
2. Oil chain and remove excess oil/gunk
3. look over tires for any suspicious cuts/holes/imbedded road debri
4. look over wheels for any broken spokes/nipples/etc. and spin them to check they run true
5. while spinning wheels check brakes for any rub and make adjustments as necesary
6. lube brake cables
7. lube shift cables and run through the gears, make deraileur adjustments as needed
8. check your headset is proper tightness, and easily moves side to side (take apart and re-grease if necessary)
9. double check flat kit is all there and ready to use if necessary
10. look over bolts and make sure nothing is loose. Especially those on hydration cages etc, and your seat. Those seem to come loose sometimes.

Maybe if anyone else has stuff they can add to this as well

Edited by Meulen 2013-09-20 1:08 PM
2013-09-20 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Good morning!

What is everyone up to?

That's interesting. I was having some issues with my PF on the bike and swapped out my inserts (specialized) and replaced them with the same SuperFeet inserts I wear for running. The pain went away and haven't had any issues.
2013-09-22 7:31 PM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Aaaargh, I have a cold. Skipped my swim yesterday, and my bike today. Oh, well. I have an Oly race next weekend, so I just keep repeating that this is a GOOD time for a cold. I'll just add a day or 2 to my taper...
Jaime
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63