BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-26 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4674398

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
JJ- - 2013-03-26 8:03 PM

Ok, I have a dilema. I've been really wondering if hiring my coach was the best thing for me. I believe one of the reasons I got such a bad IT Band problem was due to way too much added volume way too fast with no down weeks. Before I hired my coach I was taking a rest week every 4 weeks. When I hired my coach she doubled my volume and gave me no rest weeks.

My second dilema is she just uploaded my week for this week my last full week before Galveston and it is my biggest week since my injury.

So my immediate question is this? Should I be having my largest volume week the week before my A race? It's not a huge week only 9 hours but considering my avg training week is only 3 hours since the middle of January with the exception of the last 2 weeks (which were my first real weeks back) does this make sense? I guess I'm just scared and being too cautious but I've put alot of work into this race to do it wrong.

Summary, last 8 weeks have avg 2-3 hours due to injury. 2 weeks ago started back at 6-7 hours. This week 9 hours

Am I over thinking this and should I just trust my coach?

Edit: My avg week prior to injury was 12+ hours

Hi Jonathan I don't have much experience with coaches (and none in the triathlon area) but my first question would be what sort of qualifications does she have? How many triathlons has she done?

I'm sure that Yanti and others with far more experience than me have much better insight to offer but having such a large increase in time and volume in a week seems like an invitation to flare up your IT band issues.

2013-03-26 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4674398

User image

Master
Orlando
JJ- - 2013-03-26 6:03 AM

Ok, I have a dilema. I've been really wondering if hiring my coach was the best thing for me. I believe one of the reasons I got such a bad IT Band problem was due to way too much added volume way too fast with no down weeks. Before I hired my coach I was taking a rest week every 4 weeks. When I hired my coach she doubled my volume and gave me no rest weeks.

My second dilema is she just uploaded my week for this week my last full week before Galveston and it is my biggest week since my injury.

So my immediate question is this? Should I be having my largest volume week the week before my A race? It's not a huge week only 9 hours but considering my avg training week is only 3 hours since the middle of January with the exception of the last 2 weeks (which were my first real weeks back) does this make sense? I guess I'm just scared and being too cautious but I've put alot of work into this race to do it wrong.

Summary, last 8 weeks have avg 2-3 hours due to injury. 2 weeks ago started back at 6-7 hours. This week 9 hours

Am I over thinking this and should I just trust my coach?

Edit: My avg week prior to injury was 12+ hours

That does seem like a big increase. Have you talked to her about it? If not, I would ask her why such a jump and express your concern about injury. Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable with the work out dont do it. If you do it despite your reservations and get injured you will kick yourself . This last week you really cant do anything to improve your fitness, but you can do things to hurt your performance. Also, it doesn't sound like this coach is a good fit for you, going forward, if you want to keep a coach you may want to look at others. Of course, Yanti and Janyne have much more experience than I, so if they say something different, go with them
2013-03-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So, last night I had the opportunity to go to a spring training game, my only one of the year. It was good, but I ended up reading updates from the Pod on my phone and missed Evan Longoria's home run blast. I thought it was kinda funny.

Ran with TW this morning. I had time to think about what I read last night, specifically Chad's questions. I think 2 of the hardest aspects to triathlon are the consistency and patience. There are some great logs to look through that can show this, TJ's, Janyne's and Salty's all give a good example of consistent, program based training. If you are looking for examples of top notch AGer's, a couple of others, outside of the Pod, are marcag's and bryancd's. These are high end athletes with big goals, abilities, and resumes. I barely scratched the surface on some of the folks that are here on BT. It really is a great community, and just a good resource to kinda read through and see what others are doing. If you can glean one thing from each one of these that you go through, you are way ahead of the curve!

Jonathan - If it were me, I'd kinda trust my instincts and body. But, I have never used a coach, so I am really not the guy to ask.  My thoughts on building volume has been documented here before, so I won't get into it.  My thoughts on the whole coach/athlete relationship is that it is indeed a relationship. I hope yours is tuned in to what you are going through, what has worked/not worked for you recently, and is building your program for you. I hope that she is not using a canned, one program fits all approach. Talk with her and figure out what is best for you.

2013-03-26 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4673697

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

rrrunner - 2013-03-25 11:52 AM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

Hey TJ - Did you have any issues dealing with this company?  I checked out the website as I am interested in using this product for my next race but a couple of red flags went up... 

1. Their last post / update on their blog is about RAAM and was posted 6/15/2011
  2. On their websites page about the rental prices, they have a notice that says "WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR ANY EVENTS THE WEEKEND OF AUGUST 25-26"  This was last August as this year the 25th and 26th are a Sunday and a Monday. 
  3. I called the phone # on the contact page, and got a voice mail that sounded like a cell phone voice mail. 
  4. Their shopping cart page looks nothing like their website. (it means they went the cheap route

I don't have an issue with the small business aspect of it (cell phone as business line) - but I get really concerned about websites with information that is outdated, and with signs that they took the cheap route and didn't even put a little effort into their website. It's pretty easy for businesses to update their websites these days.  

I will watch your race on the app this weekend... That will be the ultimate test.    Can't wait to see your race on this app.

2013-03-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4673893

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:08 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-03-26 5:02 AM

DH hooked the trainer up to my bike last night! So I can now be productive (training-wise) during my "mommy time" in the afternoon. Going to try for an hour today, but we'll see how I feel after a week of butt time. Yuck...

Did I see that Janyne took first in AG??? Wheeeehaw! Another Super Wo-Manatee Laughing

I love this.

And anything involving butt time.

x2

2013-03-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4673921

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 1:19 PM

Oh, so THIS happened this weekend, too! HAHA you know you have a ton of cousins/run a lot when stuff like this happens:

Fricking Awesome

2013-03-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4673932

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
dp

Edited by Muskrat37 2013-03-26 9:52 AM
2013-03-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4673932

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:26 PM

OwoooOOOOoooooOOOooo

I'm also supposed to translate my dad's autobiography into English in time to have a bunch of copies printed for his official memorial on April 25th. (Muslim funerals here are very fast, gotta get 'em in the ground by sundown, so memorials are often held 40 days, an auspicious date, after the burial).

It's awesome, and a privilege. There are dignitaries coming in from all over the world, including two U.S. Senators. My dad was one of the founders of the country, the Indonesian intelligence organization, helped organize our armed forces, and was the point man for Indonesian-U.S. relations for most of his life, among many other things. That's not even to mention how--err--interesting his personal and family life were. (Those shall be included in my unauthorized, unedited version of his biography. )

But not so darn fast! aaaaaaaah

I'm thinking Google Translate is going to be my friend. It can do it a lot faster than I can, and my editing/proofing is REALLY fast. It doesn't have to be a tremendous linguistic rendition at this point--just generally accurate and readable. The events and stories are so powerful themselves; they really do the speaking for themselves.

You are a busy woman and your life amazes and inspires me.  

Your father sounds like an incredible person.   Sometimes I read about people and wish I could have known them.  Your dad is one of those people.  I would have loved to have just listened to his stories - over a beer on the beach of course.      

Please feel free to share any stories you want...

2013-03-26 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4673947

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

bcraht - 2013-03-25 1:36 PM Just did my first ever Yoga class.  Is it normal afterwards to feel like I just smoked a fat one? Surprised

I got a similar feeling after my swim workout last night... seriously "wobbled" to my car.  My head was "fuzzy" all the way home... like I was buzzed.  It was weird and totally cool, all at the same time.

2013-03-26 9:57 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Dear Manatees, why did I think it was a good idea to start a thread in Tri Talk?  Ugh...
2013-03-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4674203

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 4:59 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-25 6:52 PM

Sorry for posting on old comments before seeing your responses above..  Trying to catch up. 

A big Thank You to everyone for their input... 

Here is what I gather... my build plan is ok, should be fine based on my fitness... 

Add an extra day - but not necessarily more mileage in if I can...

Don't set the time goal - train, go run the race, and let the times come to me... 

Salty - one last question - is there anything different you would do to this plan - considering the limited time I have to ramp up for this race?  

Thanks again everyone...really love being a Manatee.... This Pod Rules!

No, just throw out the PR thing. Do what you can and work on that whole patience thing. Do your best to execute all of your training and don't push too hard chasing a time goal. If the PR comes, great, but with a limited schedule coming off a DNF from injury I don't think you are in a great position to be overly aggressive. 

The only thing I would change is what Yanti said about probably not needing that to be "recovery" pace at the beginning of the week.  You can just do it at a more general aerobic pace. And and add some HM pace stuff to that final week before the race. 

I'd highly recommend reading Jack Daniel's "Running Formula" and Pete Pfitzinger's "Advanced Marathoning" if you are really interested in finding your potential. 

OK - thanks for the advice... just added both those books to my Amazon "wish list" - will download and read them soon.

2013-03-26 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4674241

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
jobaxas - 2013-03-25 5:37 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-26 11:47 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:20 PM
cdban66 - 2013-03-25 2:18 PM
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 3:08 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-25 11:39 AM

Running Question...

I am now following my "planned training" and have been swimming / biking / and running.  Had a great week of training - and am running further than my plan calls for (comfortably) and cycling a bit more also.  No worries there.  

I want to run my final pure running race (The Eugene 1/2 marathon) on 4/28/13.  This race finishes at Hayward Field (home of the Olympic Trials) on the University of Oregon Campus.  Since I bleed Yellow & Green, I've been looking forward to this race for a while. I plan to try and PR this race.  

I have put together the following RUN training plan.  I will be doing this along side my bike and swimming workouts that are scheduled in my "planned" workouts.  I need to know if this is plan I put together is crazy (builds to fast), or doable... Thanks for your help.  

Week of:MonTuesWedThursFriSatSundayTotal Miles

3/18/20132.54.66 4.12 6.4 17.68
3/25/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 825
4/1/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 926
4/8/20134 (recovery)6 2 (speed)6 1028
4/15/20135 (recovery)6 3 (speed)5 1231
4/22/20133 (recovery)4 32 Race Day12

You have the long run building from 8, 9, 10, and 12, and then 13.1 on race day. You're younger than I am and maybe can do that, but I find that I need to build for two weeks and then step back and then build again. So, using your numbers,  the increase in the long runs would look something like this: 8, 9, 7, 9, 10, 8, 10, 11, 9, 11, 12, 10, etc . . . Granted, to get up to 13.1, you'd need more time doing it that way.

I also agree with Salty that optimum training would be to have a long run longer than 13.1. I haven't had the luxury of doing that yet (time, illness, etc), but I see the wisdom in it. Galloway, in the marathon book I have, points out that it's not a coincidence that runners hit "the wall" precisely at their longest training run, which is why he is critical of marathon plans which have 23 or 24 miles as the longest training run. (I will also add that the Hal Higdon novice half marathon plan has a long training run of 10 miles -- right where I usually hit some kind of wall at the 13.1 distance.)

I think it is important to keep the plan's objective in mind. I did Higdon novice a couple of times, which will get you to the finish of a HM. I then went plan free after that, well, not really, just home grown/halfa$$ from a few other plans. This last race had the most planning and prep. I did a number of 10 & 11 mile runs in my build, with my longest pre race run at 12 miles.  I can see the value in longer runs, especially depending on your goal.

For me, the only goals in the past two years have been improvement and enjoyment. It has really been 2 years of base building for me.  So any advice you hear from me is tempered with that as my point of view.  Although, I do find all of the discussions interesting.

Yeah, and all of the advice I gave was definitely with the "I want to PR" lens. 

That's good - because I really want a PR..    When I PR'ed the 1/2 on New Years Eve - I was very pleased, but I know I can run faster for that distance.  

The 7:00 flat I was pushing at the last one - felt good... really good, and I think I can run that, or possibly crack 7:00 min mile.. (fairly comfortably) - but I don't want to be stupid about how I get there.  

I admit to being guilty of not having a lot of patience... part of my lack of patience is based on New Years Eve run, the 9 mile run PR I did in Canada in January (7:00 min pace), the 7:00 min pace I carried through 8 miles of Lake Sammamish (on mostly gravel), and my base fitness.  

Please tell me if I am being unrealistic.  I might need a good smack and not know it.... hence the reason for throwing this out there... 

P.S.  the "training plan" I put together to try and build this up in only 6 weeks was me trying to be smart and not build to fast.  If you think I can build faster (safely), I'm happy to do so.  I know I can run more miles per week for the next 5 weeks, but don't know if I should... 

I can't help with your run build but I can help with this. Cool

I didn't say that I might need a spanking (surely that's what you read)...but hmmmmmmm... Surprised

2013-03-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4674379

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

jobaxas - 2013-03-26 2:47 AM Well this guy has turned out to be a friend via Macca via Facebook...and he has some kind of training business kettle bells etc and wants to train me. First up he says we are going riding Sunday oh lord I'm terrified. Oh he def is a piglet....

I like his haircut..

2013-03-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4674473

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
cdban66 - 2013-03-26 5:21 AM

So, last night I had the opportunity to go to a spring training game, my only one of the year. It was good, but I ended up reading updates from the Pod on my phone and missed Evan Longoria's home run blast. I thought it was kinda funny.

Ran with TW this morning. I had time to think about what I read last night, specifically Chad's questions. I think 2 of the hardest aspects to triathlon are the consistency and patience. There are some great logs to look through that can show this, TJ's, Janyne's and Salty's all give a good example of consistent, program based training. If you are looking for examples of top notch AGer's, a couple of others, outside of the Pod, are marcag's and bryancd's. These are high end athletes with big goals, abilities, and resumes. I barely scratched the surface on some of the folks that are here on BT. It really is a great community, and just a good resource to kinda read through and see what others are doing. If you can glean one thing from each one of these that you go through, you are way ahead of the curve!

Jonathan - If it were me, I'd kinda trust my instincts and body. But, I have never used a coach, so I am really not the guy to ask.  My thoughts on building volume has been documented here before, so I won't get into it.  My thoughts on the whole coach/athlete relationship is that it is indeed a relationship. I hope yours is tuned in to what you are going through, what has worked/not worked for you recently, and is building your program for you. I hope that she is not using a canned, one program fits all approach. Talk with her and figure out what is best for you.

So glad I took the time to catch up...or I would have missed your post.  

I will look through these logs.  As this is only my 2nd season of doing triathlons, I am always learning.  I have VERY aggressive goals this year, but know my nature and I am trying to be smart about how I attain them.   The best way for me to be patient is to stick to the plan.  I am being diligent about doing my workouts, not skipping or skimping..  

I am adding in more running - but that's because I built my weekly running to 35+ mpw over the winter, and dropping to 13 feels like a waste of time.  I also am cycling a little bit more than what the plan calls for..  I feel comfortable at the amounts I have been doing, and am not concerned I am overdoing it.  

Thank you for your advice... I really do appreciate all the help.  

2013-03-26 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4674768

User image

Melon Presser

Artemis - 2013-03-26 11:57 PM Dear Manatees, why did I think it was a good idea to start a thread in Tri Talk?  Ugh...

Blood from a turnip?

The vast majority of people, even educated people, even people on this site, don't understand critical thinking and logical fallacies, much less the types of scientific studies, how they're conducted, how the data are assessed and especially not what those analyses mean. Even if you spell it out for them.

Back to my Pop Tart.

2013-03-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4674759

User image

Seattle
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-26 9:54 AM

bcraht - 2013-03-25 1:36 PM Just did my first ever Yoga class.  Is it normal afterwards to feel like I just smoked a fat one? Surprised

I got a similar feeling after my swim workout last night... seriously "wobbled" to my car.  My head was "fuzzy" all the way home... like I was buzzed.  It was weird and totally cool, all at the same time.

Huh, I usually just start planning how many different things I'd like to order from Jack in the Box

2013-03-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4674840

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-27 12:25 AM

Huh, I usually just start planning how many different things I'd like to order from Jack in the Box
JB? So. Wrong. This from a girl mildly addicted to Micky D's. Speaking of which, I need to wash my ears out with soap now and order some 24/7 delivery Micky D's, stat.
2013-03-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4674840

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 8:25 AM

I went home, ate 1 1/2 10 oz steaks, a few fries, and some green beans.  I washed it all down with a big glass of milk... THEN I ate 2 "Little Debbies Swiss Rolls" that I washed down with another big glass of milk.

Hmmmm...now that I think about it, I guess it was more like smoking a big fat one.  Did someone say "munchies"? 

2013-03-26 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4674875

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
TriAya - 2013-03-26 8:36 AM

JB? So. Wrong. This from a girl mildly addicted to Micky D's. Speaking of which, I need to wash my ears out with soap now and order some 24/7 delivery Micky D's, stat.

I miss delivery Micky D's.. they did that for a while in Virginia years ago... It was great for Hangover days.  

2013-03-26 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well my morning is off to quite a start...

First, I'm still in PMS/taper mood/mode

Second, the dog decided to occupy the same space I was using during our run so I now have some road rash and a sore hip

Third, the coffee machine decided to act a fool

So of course I decide to stop at Sbux on my way to the office. The one by the house had a HUGE line so I stopped at the one by the office and saw the following sign. Salty does Sbux have more offerings that we need to know about?

(Sbux pic (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sbux pic (Small).JPG (15KB - 5 downloads)
2013-03-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4674875

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-03-26 10:36 AM

It's all about the tacos. Oh and the sketchy mini cookies. I've definnitely stopped on a run to get some of those before.

2013-03-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4674667

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-26 8:21 AM

rrrunner - 2013-03-25 11:52 AM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

Hey TJ - Did you have any issues dealing with this company?  I checked out the website as I am interested in using this product for my next race but a couple of red flags went up... 

1. Their last post / update on their blog is about RAAM and was posted 6/15/2011
  2. On their websites page about the rental prices, they have a notice that says "WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR ANY EVENTS THE WEEKEND OF AUGUST 25-26"  This was last August as this year the 25th and 26th are a Sunday and a Monday. 
  3. I called the phone # on the contact page, and got a voice mail that sounded like a cell phone voice mail. 
  4. Their shopping cart page looks nothing like their website. (it means they went the cheap route

I don't have an issue with the small business aspect of it (cell phone as business line) - but I get really concerned about websites with information that is outdated, and with signs that they took the cheap route and didn't even put a little effort into their website. It's pretty easy for businesses to update their websites these days.  

I will watch your race on the app this weekend... That will be the ultimate test.    Can't wait to see your race on this app.

I have tracked people that I don't know during races the last couple of weekends and everything seems to work quite well. Of course I have no idea if what I was seeing was close to real time and won't have an opinion on that until after Saturday but I learned about this from a thread in TT and there were people quite pleased with it.

I've already received my tracker because the owner contacted me and wanted to send it to me early as they were going to be out of town. Seems pretty legit to me.

2013-03-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4674884

User image

Seattle
X

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-03-26 10:49 AM
2013-03-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4674884

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
rrrunner - 2013-03-26 8:41 AM

Well my morning is off to quite a start...

First, I'm still in PMS/taper mood/mode

Second, the dog decided to occupy the same space I was using during our run so I now have some road rash and a sore hip

Third, the coffee machine decided to act a fool

So of course I decide to stop at Sbux on my way to the office. The one by the house had a HUGE line so I stopped at the one by the office and saw the following sign. Salty does Sbux have more offerings that we need to know about?

I've never had a SEXperience at Starbucks...but if I did, I would go a lot more often!

2013-03-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4674898

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
rrrunner - 2013-03-26 8:47 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-26 8:21 AM

I have tracked people that I don't know during races the last couple of weekends and everything seems to work quite well. Of course I have no idea if what I was seeing was close to real time and won't have an opinion on that until after Saturday but I learned about this from a thread in TT and there were people quite pleased with it.

I've already received my tracker because the owner contacted me and wanted to send it to me early as they were going to be out of town. Seems pretty legit to me.

Cool - good to know.  Thanks.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85