BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-02-15 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3355404

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
sjhodgson - 2011-02-14 10:32 PM
McFuzz - 2011-02-14 6:38 PM OK Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE...

We're half way through the mentor program.  I've been slammed at work the last week and it's good to see activity in the forum, but I didn't see a lot of inspire activity over the last week. 

What do we need to do to make the mentor group a success?  Are we meeting your needs?  (I'm especially looking for some of the new athletes to tell the experienced people what you want us to do to help.

I'm still going to try getting to everyone's logs a couple more times this week.  Some are looking pretty...blank...

These next few weeks are what turns this into a lifestyle. 

What helps me is seeing everyone's posts on what they have accomplished with their workouts because I don't want to be the one lagging behind plus then I get excited for them which gets me excited for me.  What also helps me out is when I'm called out on my training log (Thanks McFuzz) when I don't have much there.  I need that little kick in the butt sometimes and I don't take offense.

I didn't realize that the mentor group was halfway done!!!  Oh no!!! What am I going to do?!  Well that makes me sad. 

We won't disband, so what we do is up to everyone collectively.  If people are still using the thread and trading inspires, the group will survive (again, some of my protege's from 2007 still trade inspires) and thrive.  My hope is that everyone in the group has found at least 2-3 new "friends" to keep in touch with over the year (someone to notice 2 weeks of blank longs and be concerned enough to ask "are you OK?"

2011-02-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3355126

User image

Master
Orlando

We're half way through the mentor program.  I've been slammed at work the last week and it's good to see activity in the forum, but I didn't see a lot of inspire activity over the last week. 

What do we need to do to make the mentor group a success?  Are we meeting your needs?  (I'm especially looking for some of the new athletes to tell the experienced people what you want us to do to help.

I'm still going to try getting to everyone's logs a couple more times this week.  Some are looking pretty...blank...

I too have been quite busy at work and have not given many (if any) inspires.  Of course, I am guilty of not being the most consistent in that area even when I have more time.  I will make a concerted effort to be better in that regard.

My logs are usually up to date, however, they will look pretty sad this week as I am not running at all this week as I try to knock out some soreness in my knee and hamstring before this Sunday's marathon.  I will swim 2-3x this week.

That brings me to a question, what do the McFuzzies think about swimming the Friday before a Sunday marathon?  I would make the swim a taper worthy swim which includes not doing any kick drills and otherwise not using my legs too much.  Any thoughts on that plan?   I think I may go crazy if the only workouts I do this week are swims on Mon and Wed. 

Ann-Marie
2011-02-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3355485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
McFuzz - 2011-02-15 5:21 AM
sjhodgson - 2011-02-14 10:32 PM

What helps me is seeing everyone's posts on what they have accomplished with their workouts because I don't want to be the one lagging behind plus then I get excited for them which gets me excited for me.  What also helps me out is when I'm called out on my training log (Thanks McFuzz) when I don't have much there.  I need that little kick in the butt sometimes and I don't take offense.

I didn't realize that the mentor group was halfway done!!!  Oh no!!! What am I going to do?!  Well that makes me sad. 

We won't disband, so what we do is up to everyone collectively.  If people are still using the thread and trading inspires, the group will survive (again, some of my protege's from 2007 still trade inspires) and thrive.  My hope is that everyone in the group has found at least 2-3 new "friends" to keep in touch with over the year (someone to notice 2 weeks of blank longs and be concerned enough to ask "are you OK?"

The disbanding is what bugs the crap out of me about these mentor groups.  Why disaband?  Why force reorganization in the middle of the race year? They archive the groups so it is harder to keep track of...-people join others and drift... I 've asjed the reasoning of the website folks and get no good answer.  I'd love to have the group stay together for the calendar year. I am also relating to a group led by a guy who is going to IM Moo.  And the IM Moo thread.  Somwhere in there I hope to keep some of you as friends and mutual boosters through out this challenging year.  I can tell you that when it comes time to join another group, I won't.  Who has time to reestablish relationships mid-year?   

Also FaceBook is a great way to stay in touch.  I have friends from mentoring groups 2 years ago that I stay in touch with that way.  Scott Richardson, Bloomington Normal Illinois.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-02-15 7:36 AM
2011-02-15 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3355589

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
amd723 - 2011-02-15 7:33 AM
That brings me to a question, what do the McFuzzies think about swimming the Friday before a Sunday marathon?  I would make the swim a taper worthy swim which includes not doing any kick drills and otherwise not using my legs too much.  Any thoughts on that plan?   I think I may go crazy if the only workouts I do this week are swims on Mon and Wed. 

Ann-Marie

A swim might be a great way to relieve some pre-race anxiety.  A couple things to consider though: 

1)  If it's a new pool, how do you react to various pool treatment chemicals?  (For me, the first couple times in a new pool make my sinuses go crazy...NOT what I want 30 hours before a marathon.

2)  Keep the swim consistent with the importance of the race.  If your normal swim is 1500 yards, don't try to do 3000 (you use your arms as well as your legs in the marathon).  You're wise to skip kick drills etc. 
2011-02-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3355594

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
IceManScott - 2011-02-15 7:35 AM

The disbanding is what bugs the crap out of me about these mentor groups.  Why disaband?  Why force reorganization in the middle of the race year? They archive the groups so it is harder to keep track of...-people join others and drift... I 've asjed the reasoning of the website folks and get no good answer.  I'd love to have the group stay together for the calendar year. I am also relating to a group led by a guy who is going to IM Moo.  And the IM Moo thread.  Somwhere in there I hope to keep some of you as friends and mutual boosters through out this challenging year.  I can tell you that when it comes time to join another group, I won't.  Who has time to reestablish relationships mid-year?   

Also FaceBook is a great way to stay in touch.  I have friends from mentoring groups 2 years ago that I stay in touch with that way.  Scott Richardson, Bloomington Normal Illinois.

I won't speak for the smart guys in charge of BT.  The older groups get archived because the new mentor groups have a bigger need for ready access.  Some of the archived groups are still very active, they're just not on the "current" mentoring forum.  As for the year?  IMO, a mentor who does a good job fosters a self-sustaining group, and the natural growth that occurs would be suppressed if mentors ran the group for the year.  A year is also a huge time commitment, and not a lot of mentors would sign up.  The goal of the mentor program is to get new athletes through the toughest part, the transition to an active lifestyle.  3 months (plus some bonus time if the group is active and thriving) is enough to do that.  It also gives people the opportunity to try different groups (how many in this group have been involved in other mentor groups?
2011-02-15 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Elite
Halfway done!? Surprised  I was planning on being a McFuzzy until my HIM in June and beyond!  I hope we don't *have* to disband!  So if the thread stays active, it'll still be here?

I was laughing to myself this morning as I hopped on my trainer.   This is a recovery week for me.  Well, my 1:29 trainer ride + 28 minute run was my recovery workout.  Back at the beginning of January it was my hardest workout!

Dealing with a bit of self-sabotage the past few days.  Since I've been getting compliments and people noticing weight loss it has sent me into the panic mode of "Holy crap, I'm actually doing what I set out to do...must. go. back. to. failure."  BUT...with the help of a great support I have my head back where it needs to be and I'm back in the saddle again.  Giddy-Up!

2011-02-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3355630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
McFuzz - 2011-02-15 7:59 AM

I won't speak for the smart guys in charge of BT.  The older groups get archived because the new mentor groups have a bigger need for ready access.  Some of the archived groups are still very active, they're just not on the "current" mentoring forum.  As for the year?  IMO, a mentor who does a good job fosters a self-sustaining group, and the natural growth that occurs would be suppressed if mentors ran the group for the year.  A year is also a huge time commitment, and not a lot of mentors would sign up.  The goal of the mentor program is to get new athletes through the toughest part, the transition to an active lifestyle.  3 months (plus some bonus time if the group is active and thriving) is enough to do that.  It also gives people the opportunity to try different groups (how many in this group have been involved in other mentor groups?

Yeah, I know the drill.  I also know that every group I've ever been in has fallen flat and disappearred as soon as they get pushed into the archives.  So it goes.  As I said, Not this year.  I won't be joining any mentoring groups mid year so either this carries through or I'll go with the IM Moo thread exclusively.  I know they'll get active as the race gets closer.

2011-02-15 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

I did not want to be left outta the "New Bike Club" so here is my new ride.  I just picked it up this morning.  Now for the fitting, then - Next stop... IM70.3 Racine!

(transition comp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
transition comp.jpg (82KB - 6 downloads)
2011-02-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3356192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 11:40 AM

I did not want to be left outta the "New Bike Club" so here is my new ride.  I just picked it up this morning.  Now for the fitting, then - Next stop... IM70.3 Racine!

Awesome!
2011-02-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3355740

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-15 9:56 AM Halfway done!? Surprised  I was planning on being a McFuzzy until my HIM in June and beyond!  I hope we don't *have* to disband!  So if the thread stays active, it'll still be here?

I was laughing to myself this morning as I hopped on my trainer.   This is a recovery week for me.  Well, my 1:29 trainer ride + 28 minute run was my recovery workout.  Back at the beginning of January it was my hardest workout!

Dealing with a bit of self-sabotage the past few days.  Since I've been getting compliments and people noticing weight loss it has sent me into the panic mode of "Holy crap, I'm actually doing what I set out to do...must. go. back. to. failure."  BUT...with the help of a great support I have my head back where it needs to be and I'm back in the saddle again.  Giddy-Up!

Yeah for nipping the self-sabotage in the bud. Success can be scary for sure because it means leaving behind what is familiar. Success means change and change brings risks and risks bring the potential to fail. But try thinking of it like this: self-sabotage is your old self testing out your new self and your new self won! How is it that I am so very wise you are asking? I kicked a drug habit back in the day and am familiar with self-sabotage, it took me a long time to get grip. Hope thats not TMI. Yeah new-self!
2011-02-15 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 12:40 PM

That is HOT.

2011-02-15 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Sweeeet Bike!  very jeoulous with all the new bikes I hope that everyone is getting out and enjoying them!

I am going through the same thing right now with lack of confidence.  But, I have accomplished soooo much! And I have to make myself remember that and not get in the old habits of saying " I will do it tomorrow"or "I don't think I can do it." I need to remember - I just ran 5.4 miles and that was my medium run for the week (last year I couldn't even run a 5k without walking). Also only 3 pounds from my lowest weight in 15+ years.  Remember the positive and don't dwell on the rest of the crap!  

2011-02-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3355630

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
McFuzz - 2011-02-15 7:59 AM

I won't speak for the smart guys in charge of BT.  The older groups get archived because the new mentor groups have a bigger need for ready access.  Some of the archived groups are still very active, they're just not on the "current" mentoring forum.  As for the year?  IMO, a mentor who does a good job fosters a self-sustaining group, and the natural growth that occurs would be suppressed if mentors ran the group for the year.  A year is also a huge time commitment, and not a lot of mentors would sign up.  The goal of the mentor program is to get new athletes through the toughest part, the transition to an active lifestyle.  3 months (plus some bonus time if the group is active and thriving) is enough to do that.  It also gives people the opportunity to try different groups (how many in this group have been involved in other mentor groups?) 

I was in a mentor group last summer/fall.  It was my first and definately a good experience and I learned a lot as I was a total newbie.  However, this group is far superior!  I am still learning, but with 1 year of experience now (Joined BT almost one year ago!) I hope I am starting to give back some of what I have learned. I never used the inspires until recently, and will double my efforts to keep at it!
2011-02-15 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 12:40 PM

Oh my gawd, what a pretty bike!!! Congrats. Mine comes tomorrow... I get to go to the shop and have them put an extra bottle cage and some gadgets on it when they build it. YAY!

It took me a long time to figure out the inspires, and then how to respond (fortunately one of you saved me) and between being sick and having a bad foot, I just don't have much GOOD to say. I don't want to be the whiny complaining one... but I'm TIRED and I'm sick of being sick, and I can't believe this foot thing has happened a week before my first 13.1. There, I said it! I slept 10 hours last night and I'm pooped today. So I made a couple of Drs appts. One tomorrow to try and get a referral for the foot and the other is March 2nd to check my heart out thoroughly. Who knows? maybe I have something that can be fixed easily. Cross fingers.

SO, net net... I love to read the posts, I'm glad mostly everyone is doing so well. In the face of feeling like crap, you guys keep me inspired. I'll have good stuff to report also..I PROMISE.
2011-02-15 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3355126

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Using my phone to post so don't know if it will work. Being an absolute newbie to the whole sport, the mentor group has helped me be less impatient with my progress and kept me doing workouts when I might not have (someone might look at my logs). Have also gotten a few good tips. I plan on staying active in the group as long as people keep posting. Also if you do a link on your training log page, it will be easy to get here even after they archive the group. (You just might have to relink after the move)
2011-02-15 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

VERY NICE!!!  Jealous....  

2011-02-15 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, very nice!
2011-02-15 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3356732

User image

Master
Orlando
GmrGirl - 2011-02-15 4:26 PM Using my phone to post so don't know if it will work. Being an absolute newbie to the whole sport, the mentor group has helped me be less impatient with my progress and kept me doing workouts when I might not have (someone might look at my logs). Have also gotten a few good tips. I plan on staying active in the group as long as people keep posting. Also if you do a link on your training log page, it will be easy to get here even after they archive the group. (You just might have to relink after the move)

You can also enable the toggle email notification link at the bottom of the page; then whenever anybody posts you will be sent an email notification.
2011-02-15 6:51 PM

User image

Longview, Texas
discipleguideservice, nice bike,congrats!!!

I wish the group stays active, I don't post much because I hate to write in English (specially with an English teacher on this groupTongue out) not being native at English language, my write isn't very good.
But still think that this is a good place to get some tips and share victories.

I have one race planned next month and then a Marathon in November, so I was planning to stay for the long haul.

Edited by ricmachado 2011-02-15 6:55 PM
2011-02-15 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
HOLLY SMOKES EVERYONE!  Relax, the group is not going to end.  I was in Mikes group last year along with a few people who I now consider friends.  It was much, much smaller than this group and we kept it going until this one started.  Even through last fall and into winter.  We would still have it going, but most of us have just jumped over to this group now.

We all recognized the value of having someone to stay accountable to for the entire race season, and as it went along our bond got stronger, and several of us even met up to do a race together at the end of the season in Ohio.  Looks like we are planning to do it again this summer (same group - Yes this means you Laura Cobb) Laughing  and I am sure you would all be welcomed to join us.  It is kinda like our own little McFuzzie family reunion.

My point is this, there is no reason to start getting worried that it is all coming to an end, it will not.  So long as we stay active, the group IS active.  Hope to see you all at the starting line.
2011-02-15 8:14 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX
Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

Today I got in the pool for the first time since all your tips and advice.  I did check out Mr. Smooth and tried a few of the tips during my swim today.  Other than getting out of breath (as always) I think I tweaked my swim quite a bit and it felt a lot better.  I wish I didn't have to think so much as I was doing it though...I think that wears me out just as much as the actual swimming : )  Anyway, Mr. Smooth appeared to rock his body back and forth as he kicked and did his arms so I tried this and that is a huge help in keeping my body up.  I'm not sure why that is but it felt like that's what it did when I tried it.  I guess doing that helps you kick with your hips not your knees.  I also found that I was not as tired by the time I reached the end of the pool, I was out of breath, but my body wasn't tired and I haven't timed myself but I feel like I am faster too.  So today was a success!  Maybe my swimming still sucks but it feels better so I'm happy.  One of these days when I live in a normal decent town I can find a swim coach or a gym with swim lessons.  Ugh, the military life sometimes.  Speaking of, my husband gets back from his deployment soon!! He's already on his way back but it takes over a week to get home so I'm just still counting the days.  Then I'll really have no excuses for missing a workout...he'll be here to watch the kiddos! :

2011-02-15 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3357012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 8:14 PM Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

Today I got in the pool for the first time since all your tips and advice.  I did check out Mr. Smooth and tried a few of the tips during my swim today.  Other than getting out of breath (as always) I think I tweaked my swim quite a bit and it felt a lot better.  I wish I didn't have to think so much as I was doing it though...I think that wears me out just as much as the actual swimming : )  Anyway, Mr. Smooth appeared to rock his body back and forth as he kicked and did his arms so I tried this and that is a huge help in keeping my body up.  I'm not sure why that is but it felt like that's what it did when I tried it.  I guess doing that helps you kick with your hips not your knees.  I also found that I was not as tired by the time I reached the end of the pool, I was out of breath, but my body wasn't tired and I haven't timed myself but I feel like I am faster too.  So today was a success!  Maybe my swimming still sucks but it feels better so I'm happy.  One of these days when I live in a normal decent town I can find a swim coach or a gym with swim lessons.  Ugh, the military life sometimes.  Speaking of, my husband gets back from his deployment soon!! He's already on his way back but it takes over a week to get home so I'm just still counting the days.  Then I'll really have no excuses for missing a workout...he'll be here to watch the kiddos! :

I'm so glad your husband is coming home. 

The swim thing:  Sometimes the out of breath feeling is because we don't like to breath out completely when our face is down so we can't fill out lungs with fresh air when we turn our heads.  Have to empty the lungs to fill them.  When we concentrate on blowing out rather than breathing in, the breathing in takes care of itself.  Your diaphragm has no choice but to pull air in when you blow out as much as you can. I learned that when I first started to run again. Chi running focuses on breathing out so you can get a full lung capacity on the breathe in.  Just try it now.  Blow out hard and see what happens.  You will fill your lungs without trying.  Also easy does it on the stroke.  Just relax...take it easy.  focus on swimming tall, reaching, kicking as you say from the hips but not overdoing it because kicking burns a lot of energy.  You are getting it.

2011-02-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3357008

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 8:13 PM HOLLY SMOKES EVERYONE!  Relax, the group is not going to end.  I was in Mikes group last year along with a few people who I now consider friends.  It was much, much smaller than this group and we kept it going until this one started.  Even through last fall and into winter.  We would still have it going, but most of us have just jumped over to this group now.

We all recognized the value of having someone to stay accountable to for the entire race season, and as it went along our bond got stronger, and several of us even met up to do a race together at the end of the season in Ohio.  Looks like we are planning to do it again this summer (same group - Yes this means you Laura Cobb) Laughing  and I am sure you would all be welcomed to join us.  It is kinda like our own little McFuzzie family reunion.

My point is this, there is no reason to start getting worried that it is all coming to an end, it will not.  So long as we stay active, the group IS active.  Hope to see you all at the starting line.

We'll stay together, but the key is to establish the connections (like my group last year, and also my 2007 group) so that you want to stay connected even when the thread moves to the archived area.  Traffic (inspires) had really declined the past 2 weeks and that's really where the group lives or dies. 

It's up to you (everyone)!  Get connected and stay connected or get lax and drift apart (kind of like a lot of relationships). 
2011-02-15 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3357012

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 8:14 PM Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

Definitely sounds like you're on track for the swimming!  Yes, the kick starts at the core/hips, not the knees. 
2011-02-15 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3357008

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 8:13 PM HOLLY SMOKES EVERYONE!  Relax, the group is not going to end.  I was in Mikes group last year along with a few people who I now consider friends.  It was much, much smaller than this group and we kept it going until this one started.  Even through last fall and into winter.  We would still have it going, but most of us have just jumped over to this group now.

Thanks Josh, I like the way you put it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106