BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-08-04 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4346644

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
Nice Andrea!!  You toughed it out in hot weather and a challenging course!  Thank GOD the run was short, ha ha!!  I had lots of side stitches when I first started racing, it would start on the bike and continue through the run.  I think it was a bike fitness thing, I don't get it anymore and I ride a LOT more.  Something to keep in mind.  Isn't it amazing how we look forward to racing and then, in the midst of it, those DNF thoughts pop up... or for me it's mainly, "This sucks"....  until we cross the finish line and get our stomachs back enough to eat post race goodies and then it's, "When's the next one?!"  I've been in the first wave and I've been in the last... REALLY don't like being last except it sure is easy to find your bike in transition!  Can't wait for the official report!

2012-08-04 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Nice job on beating down those DNF demons and finishing the race, Andrea!  Especially in this crazy humidity!!

Suzie, I used a BT time-based (versus distance-based) plan for my first tri season last year and found it really helpful.  Don't worry too much about speed and distance, just get your fitness level up so you can swim/bike/run for longer periods....  Slow and steady is the best way to prevent any injury too...  I learned that the hard way this year, haha!

2012-08-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4346748

Extreme Veteran
Thanks K (sorry I've forgotten your proper name and am too tired to check it) the plan I'm using is a custom one that BT built me so it has time and distance. I was focusing more on the distance because the thing won't go down to my level of bike fitness (minimum speed you can use is 8mph - I'm usually around 5-6) but I've worked out that for now time will work better. The mini bike segment is only 8k and since I've done 5 miles before (albeit mostly down hill with a small hill there somewhere) I'm pretty sure I can do it again with the swim and run either end.
2012-08-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4328737

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
wsilverthorne - 2012-07-24 7:36 PM

Awesome...I get to post on page 69!!!! very nice!!!  So, I'm home safe and sound after 4000 mile plane trip from england to Dallas and a 1010 mile drive from Dallas to Indy!!! whew!!!  Wow, we had an amazing weekend at the MMMer meet up at Hilde's house for the TriWaco event.... It was so so so cool to meeting Tammy Tucker, Connie for the first time and reunite with the superstar's Tammy Turtle and Hilde.  Of course Brad was there too -- but we hang out all the time...but he was a really good little spoon when we shared the twin bed together... warm and snuggly..how lovely that was!! LMAO.

Hilde and her husband Ron were amazing hosts - They have an awesome house and yard -- perfect for entertaining and creating new memories.  I loved spending time with everyone and laughing like crazy for a few days.  We had to enact the Vegas Rule again cuz there was some crazy stuff go down in Temple Texas..... Some of it was WOW!!!! All I can say is that these people are not right... way WRONG.... I was so corrupted and shocked by the crazy $hit.... 

Ron cooked his a$$ off the whole weekend and made amazing grub... Tammy already mentioned it, but the BBQ was the best I've ever had.. seriously.  Brad and I were in a meat coma for hours.... I think I ate a few pounds of smoked meat - it may never leave my digestive system... Everything was just awesome... It's so much fun to hang out with like minded people and talk about all kinds of stuff... I'm very fortunate to call these folks my friends cuz they FUC@#$%#$%KING ROCK!!!

I shot some video with my iPad at the TriWaco event... and quickly put it together and you can view it here... nothing special as far as editing -- I just wanted to get it published timely... (and I know there is one clip of Tucker that is a repeat... eeek!)  I did it all on my iPad so not the most sophisticated editing. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJM4D6cbmRU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If I can carve out some time I may add some captioning to identify the crazies.  It was cool to watch those guys run the event... but I was so jealous and moderately pissed that I couldn't do it with them... that sucked... but it was fun cheering them on and being a part of the event... It was also cool to see Turtle win some serious bling and Hilde added more to her collection.. haha... 

Okay, I will just sum it up by saying -- You guys were all great -- Thanks for the memories and the great weekend!!

Wilson, a very belated thanks for the video and the name updates.  I watched it without the first time and was completely lost as to who I should be cheering for!  

I owe everyone a long lost another year of training lost post but I'll save that for later and just tell you all to keep up all your great work and training (or attempts at it)!!

2012-08-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4351181

Extreme Veteran

sulcus - glad to know things are still going well. Look forward to the "another year of training" post. I think mine is about due too, I'll have to go searching to see when I did it.

Anyway I have a question for the group.

With my running progress coming along so far (was able to run 14 mins non-stop last week) I'd like to do at least one RUN per week as opposed to run/walk. The thing is that my short run is currently on the same day as my bike ride (not a brick yet due to time constraints and logistics) - so what's everyone's sugestion. Do I swap my short and  meduim runs (I'm currently using the time I'm told to run by my plan and interspersing it with walks) so that I do a medium run on the same day as bike and RUN the short run or run the short run on the same day as my bike ride?

If it helps my new goal for the November tri is to RUN the run section of the mini-sprint. I posted the distances a few pages ago I think.

2012-08-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4352516

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Suzie, why don't you try running the entire short run on the same day as your bike and see how it goes.  Maybe try it a couple of weeks,  because you need to stress your muscles to make them stronger.  I'm assuming the 2 workouts will be separated and not back to back, so it shouldn't be too bad.  Try that first and then revisit swapping runs if that doesn't work....

2012-08-08 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Andrea - Way to stay mentally tough during your race. Congratulations! It is very hard to banish negative thoughts once they work their way into your brain during a race or a training session. Great that you did this! Suzie - keep at it. Build up the time. I am traveling this week so workouts will be a bit sporadic and probably not very productive. I don't like running outside in unfamiliar areas and just can't make myself run on the treadmill.Hope everyone doing good!
2012-08-08 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4353198

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Hilde, yes they'll be separated, probably by at least an hour.

2012-08-09 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey all.  Sorry I haven’t been around much.  Work has been a little challenging and we’ve been trying to get the kids ready for college in a couple of weeks (DD’s first year, DS’s 4th).  Still getting the workouts in as much as possible – not always as long/hard as they should be, but at least they’re getting done. 

So I have a question for you all.  My membership here is up for renewal and I’m considering upgrading to silver.  Reason
being that I want to try some of the more specific plans that they have (not just the time-based ones).  I sat down the other day and made a general plan for the next 9 months or so.  There is a tri in mid-May that I want to do – it would be my “A” race for 2013.  They have both a sprint and olympic distance, I’m targeting the sprint for right now, but would really like to do the olympic if I can be ready for it.  Anyway, the plans that I was considering using are mostly HR based.  I have a HRM but I’ve never used it (came with my 305).  Does anyone here train by HR?  Hilde, I see HR data in your logs but didn’t know if you train that way.  Do you like it?  Do you think it helps?  Or is it just extra info to have?  I feel like if I want to be able to do the olympic distance (either next May or sometime after) that I need to train a little “better” and was wondering if maybe the HR training is the way to go. 

2012-08-10 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4354743

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Janet... first I didn't know you were that "old" to have college aged kids!  I thought you were a youngster, which I guess you still could be if you had them as a teenager, ha ha!  I really haven't used the plans by BT, but I think it's smart to follow an Oly plan to do a sprint, because it seems like the plans are done to allow you to finish, but not necessarily compete if that makes sense.  So as you go through it, if you're feeling good about it, you COULD sign up for the Oly, you'd have the volume under your belt to complete it.  As far as HR training... I sorta/kinda use it for running only.... I go through spells where I really try to keep it in a zone, nice and easy, and slowly I do see improvements where I can run faster and keep the HR at that level.  Hard to do in the summer heat which will automatically boost it up.  I use the HR monitor on the bike, but I honestly don't do anything with it, occasionally I'll  look down to see where I am, but I end up doing more RPE type workouts.  Now if I'm doing a Spinervals type trainer ride and they ask for a certain HR then yes, I do that, but on my normal outside rides, it's just data.  And swimming I don't even check my pulse anymore, it is what it is.  Hope that helps!  I had a Gold plan once and loved the custom plan making tool they have... you can make any type plan, move your workouts to whatever days you want and it will churn one out for you.  But you can save money with the Silver plan and go with a pre-made one.  Why don't you go through the MMMers profiles and see who has one and how they like it?
2012-08-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4356494

User image

Expert
Missouri

hildekq - 2012-08-10 7:33 AM Janet... first I didn't know you were that "old" to have college aged kids!  I thought you were a youngster, which I guess you still could be if you had them as a teenager, ha ha!  I really haven't used the plans by BT, but I think it's smart to follow an Oly plan to do a sprint, because it seems like the plans are done to allow you to finish, but not necessarily compete if that makes sense.  So as you go through it, if you're feeling good about it, you COULD sign up for the Oly, you'd have the volume under your belt to complete it.  As far as HR training... I sorta/kinda use it for running only.... I go through spells where I really try to keep it in a zone, nice and easy, and slowly I do see improvements where I can run faster and keep the HR at that level.  Hard to do in the summer heat which will automatically boost it up.  I use the HR monitor on the bike, but I honestly don't do anything with it, occasionally I'll  look down to see where I am, but I end up doing more RPE type workouts.  Now if I'm doing a Spinervals type trainer ride and they ask for a certain HR then yes, I do that, but on my normal outside rides, it's just data.  And swimming I don't even check my pulse anymore, it is what it is.  Hope that helps!  I had a Gold plan once and loved the custom plan making tool they have... you can make any type plan, move your workouts to whatever days you want and it will churn one out for you.  But you can save money with the Silver plan and go with a pre-made one.  Why don't you go through the MMMers profiles and see who has one and how they like it?

Thanks Hilde!  I'm 48 so not really a youngster although I definitely don't feel my age most of the time.  It's hard for me to believe both kids will be in college this year! 

I've used some of the beginner plans here but, like you said, I feel like the volume on most of them is kind of low - more of a complete than compete type plans - especially with the run portions, I always end up adjusting those.  What I'm looking at now is starting a maintenance-type plan after my tri in a couple of weeks that will get me through February and then doing a tri-specific plan to prepare for the race in May.  Depending on how things go over the winter, I'll either use a sprint or Oly plan for that.  A lot will depend on how much swim training I can get in.  I don't think the bike or run for the Oly distance will be an issue for me, but my swim needs a lot of work. 

2012-08-10 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I've been reading along, but figure it is time to check in!  I finally got back in the pool this week after a 6 week break post-LASIK.  We'll the eyes are amazing, but the swimming has hurt.  I wasn't prepared to have such a loss of swim fitness.  Luckily I'm not doing another tri until October, so hopefully it will be better by then (it can't really get worse!).  My hubby and I have been plugging away on our century training.  July was a bit of a wash with traveling, but we have long rides planned each weekend throughout August.  Hopefully we'll be ready!  
2012-08-10 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4357582

Extreme Veteran

Good luck in the pool Lounav.

Janet - sounds like a good plan. I like the detailed nature of the higher level membership plans - especially for the swim, where they actually tell you how far to go and what drills to do.

2012-08-11 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hi MMMer Friends!  I'm racing tomorrow - 1/2 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike and 4.5 mile run.  The water temp is a balmy 81 degrees so most likely no wetsuit   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my run goes ok - it has been over a month since I've run that distance! 

Is anyone else racing this weekend?  If so, GOOD LUCK!!

2012-08-12 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Had a great time racing earlier today.  Really loved this race course and atmosphere!  Had a decent swim even with choppy lake conditions, reached my goal of at least 16 mph on the bike (avg'd 16.4) and the shin cooperated on the run.  My goal for the run was to only allow myself to walk at water stops and that was a success!  It was such a fun time and reminded me why I love to do these crazy races! 

Here's a link to my RR:

https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=455513

2012-08-15 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hi gang-- Would you believe that just after I got back from Antwerp, the students handed in several papers apiece that all had to be marked ASAP, then final grades had to be calculated, then I had to pack and get the heck out of there before the next group arrived...so flew back to the US for a grand total of 2 days before packing up the car and heading to Canada for two weeks-- my parents have a lovely cottage on the shore of a small lake...with, as it turns out, utterly lousy Internet reception this year (too many people on the lake trying to download movies or something...). Then I drive back to IL, only to find that my modem here was toast-- I kid you not! I think I'll dub this summer the "Summer of Lousy Internet Reception" and leave it at that. At any rate, I'm now back for a couple of weeks before heading north again for my Iron-distance race...eep! I've been training regularly (and am back to logging), but the prospect is still terrifying. Nonetheless, I plan to do the Danskin sprint tri in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks as a tune-up race to check nutrition, bike handling in race conditions, etc. before the dreaded taper starts-- signing up for that is on tomorrow's to-do list, as is sending out actual inspires and being a real BTer again! So more from me later, like it or not... Alex

2012-08-17 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
It's good to see you back, Alex! 
2012-08-17 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4367767

User image

Expert
rustymom - 2012-08-17 9:02 AMIt's good to see you back, Alex! 
Thanks, Andrea! Good to BE back among people who don't look at me oddly when I talk about negative splits or tell me to "talk about something else" (yeah, there were some interesting moments at the cottage, let's just say. Sigh.). Hope to get caught up on everyone's logs soon!
2012-08-19 8:12 PM

User image

Expert

Signed up for the Danskin sprint next weekend-- should be fun! I always enjoy this race, plus a friend's doing it as well, so it should be a good time. Also a good way to rehearse transitions, nutrition, and all the other stuff that really can only be tested in race conditions...

(By the way, peanut butter, honey, and bacon sandwiches taste REALLY good on long bike rides. I'm just sayin'.)

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

2012-08-20 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4370390

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Good luck with the Danskin, alex!  Louise and I did one earlier in the summer, lots of fun!  Yep, always good to get those transitions down...  Your sandwich sounds heavenly, I'm sure Tammy Turtle will chime in on that!
2012-08-20 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hi everyone.  My training volume has fallen way off over the past two weeks.  But I think it is for the better.  I am feeling refreshed and ready to up the volume again.  I have a race in three weeks.  This is an 'A' race.  But I think my definition of an 'A' race has changed!

I'd been really pushing and setting pretty high expectations.  Resulting in things getting a bit out of balance with work, training, family, and fun.

Two weeks of less training = much happier and relaxed Melanie.  Laughing

So goal for next race is to purely have fun.  Push hard but not have as tough expectations on time goals, etc.

2012-08-20 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bacon?? Did somebody say bacon?!
2012-08-20 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4370755

User image

Expert
tstl - 2012-08-20 7:43 AMBacon?? Did somebody say bacon?!
Why yes, yes I did: Trader Joe's applewood smoked thick-cut bacon, to be precise. Utterly nomtastic. Gonna try it next in combo with PB and fig butter (just fine-tuning the recipe, doncha know...).
2012-08-20 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4370742

User image

Expert
Fun is an excellent thing, Melanie_ so glad you're happier and more relaxed! Have fun getting ready for your next race!
2012-08-23 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Exactly how I feel about swimming some days...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61