BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-31 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4680683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
mtnbikerchk - 2013-03-31 10:52 AM

Yesterday we had to put our dog down.  She was in too much pain.  So yesterday sucked and today is being spent talking about the memories, both good and bad.  And tomorrow real life begins again......

My training log needs to be updated.  I'm keeping track and just need to enter it all.  March was kinda sucky so here's hoping April will be better.

My condolences; I can't imagine what you're going through. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

2013-03-31 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jamie - I had a very similar ride today ... about 3 hours just under 50 miles. Just the thought about how much more time I would have to put in to train for a full Ironman .... I am not sure if it would happen any time soon. 

Randy - Congratulations on the race. Nice results. I can't believe those run splits ... one day (dream)

Rene - I can't believe that you are already back to training ... 25 watts ... nice! :-)

Randee - My condolences! I had to put two dogs down in the past and know how you are feeling. Its like losing a family member. Time ... that is all I can say! Hang in there ...

Here are my March totals ... my running is still very low but I bike and swim volume are getting there. I am 3 miles shy of 1000 miles on the bike this year. I think I would have broken 400 this month if i wouldn't have had a race. 

March's totals:
Bike:21h 03m 58s  - 353.71 Mi
Run:6h 39m 31s  - 38.23 Mi
Swim:7h 38m 53s  - 21361.52 M

2013-03-31 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Randy: Fantastic job with the race even with the issues. You're an amazing athlete! I love the pictures. Your daughter is adorable!

Randee: I'm so, so sorry for your family's loss. Big hugs to you all.

Rene: Look at you smiling! "Better than yesterday"... love that. I don't mind progress videos daily at all. Keep them coming! You inspire me.

Well, last month's training wasn't the best, but there was a "taper" week and a recovery week. I've only gotten a two hour MTB ride in since the race:

Bike:17h 34m 41s  - 89.5 Mi
Run:7h 31m 21s  - 29.22 Mi
Swim:4h 29m 51s  - 9098.86 Yd
Soccer:3h 45m

Today starts the training plan the coach I hired put together. I'm excited. Today is a swim and a core/plyo workout. Back on track!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
2013-03-31 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Rene when I had my knee surgery years ago it was two weeks before I could get my foot all the way over.  Keep at it and you will be fine.

With the broken arm, no totals for March from me. It was a totally lost month. While I was allowed to swim with the cast on, what it did to my stroke made any attempt completely pointless. I tried to run but because I was holding my arm in an unnatural position it altered my gait and I got bursitis in my hip. I am still not competely comfortable with the aero bars. No upper body work either.

Friday I got the OK to take the cast off to swim, ride & run but nothing else. 60 minutes max per day. So yesterday i rode for the first time. Feels like I regressed back to the first of the year. I have gained three pounds, can't climb hills, have not run in 4 weeks and almost no pool time. To make matters worse, I have completely lost my mental edge as well. This SUCKS.

My first tri of the season is in thre weeks. It was going to be an A Race but no more. I am going to train right through it, drop the May race and look at June a my first A Race of the year. That will leave just an Oly in Nov other than a few non-tri events.

I am glad to get back too it but really depressed at where I am at compared to a month ago.  Tomorrw is April 1st.  A new month and a new start.  No more feeling sorry for myself.

I hope everybody has a great April!

2013-03-31 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Randee,
I am so sorry. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Stuart-
Hang in there. I'm sure the "reality" of everything that I've lost will set in once I get back to trying to get back to training.
All you can do it start from where you are today and go forward. It is amazing how quickly fitness gains can be lost. It sounds like training through the first planned race in 3 weeks is a good idea. I'm trying not to think about all of the money that I've lost in race fee's, plane tickets and preparations for this season.
We're just going to have to use this as extra motivation for the races that we can do.

Today was another "fun" day at Physical Therapy. The exercises seem to get harder each time that we go up there. I'm really tired and trying to rest as much as possible. Tapering off of the pain meds has probably also contributed to the extra fatigue. I'm down to using 1 crutch. Back to PT tomorrow and work on Tuesday. Meeting with the doctor on Wednesday afternoon to discuss surgery and his "recommendations" for rehab and return to training

Edited by Catwoman 2013-03-31 3:47 PM
2013-03-31 5:09 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Well -- after spending most of the winter in pure run mode, I finally rediscovered the concept of "triathlon" in the last week or so.   Made it to the pool a couple of times (as mentioned before -- getting better!) and hit the bike as well, thanks to the much-delayed emergence of spring.  

First couple of rides I kept very short (15 min and 30 min respectively) -- my cycling muscles were still coming out of hibernation.  Today I bumped it up to 45 min, and now that my legs have woken up -- wow, I'm seeing improvements!  Nearly hit 16 mph average on a hilly, windy route -- where before I would have been lucky to maintain 14-15 mph.    In particular, I'm keeping my speed up on the uphills and recovering a lot more quickly than before.  Certainly not breaking any records but given the length of the break, not bad for the first week back!  

I suspect that the run training has had a great impact on overall cardio health -- plus have lost about 15 pounds since October which probably doesn't hurt..

My March -- for me, this was my best month ever!  Looking forward to keeping up the momentum in April. 

March's totals:
Bike:1h 28m 24s  - 36.77 KM
Run:10h 54m 30s  - 99.12 KM
Swim:1h 50m 49s  - 3400 M

Randy -- well done on the race!

Randee -- so sorry about the loss of your dog.  We're very much a dog family -- we had 4 for a long time, now down to 2 big ones.  Have been in your shoes before -- I know it was a very difficult decision, but have no doubt that it was the right one.  

Scott.

2013-03-31 5:13 PM

User image

New user
Hi guys, good workout weekend. I did my second group ride yesterday, we went about 18 miles which is my longest so far. They are a very nice group and gave me some suggestions, slick wheels, raising my seat and getting cages for my pedals. I will do those things this week as Sunday is a 25 mile ride.I have a half marathon in a few weeks. This was something I planned to walk with my sister but she bowed out so just me. I don't run far enough yet to do it that way so will walk the majority of it. So today was a long walk, went three hours mostly walking. My legs are worn out after yesterday and today but it feels good accomplishing these firsts!Happy Easter!
2013-03-31 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Randee, I'm so sorry to hear you had to put your dog down. I have a household of 4 animals currently and the thought of losing any of them breaks my heart. You have my sincerest condolences.

Randy, Great job! Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing future race results!

Rene, Get well soon and nice job hitting that trainer so soon! May you experience a speedy recovery!

I'm pretty sure this was my best month of training to date. Had a few setbacks with swims, but I replaced them with bike or run. I kept up with the strength training for 2 weeks. That just killed me. I'll try again some other time

March's totals:
Bike:24h 25m 10s  - 406.27 Mi
Run:18h 46m 54s  - 127.8 Mi
Swim:9h 57m 02s  - 31750 Yd
Strength:2h 46m

2013-03-31 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Might as well post numbers while I have them!

March's totals:
Bike: 19h 10m - 381.17 Mi
Run: 2h 20m 50s - 16.35 Mi
Swim: 12h 55m - 35600 Yd
2013-03-31 6:36 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee, so sorry to hear about your dog. They are so much a part of our lives. I had to put down the canine-love-of-my-life over a year ago and I am still not over it. I feel your pain.

Stuart, sorry to hear that this month has been such a struggle. I was starting to wonder what you were up to. The nice thing is that fitness, while lost quickly, seems to return quickly as well. It is not quite like starting all over again.

Randy, awesome race. Only 26 seconds behind your AG winner with an extra 1:02 in transition. Didn't you say that the number one guy in your AG was too fast to be beaten? Sounds like he had better start watching his back.

I really liked the pictures of you and your daughter at prom. She is a lovely young woman and you looked like a very proud dad.

I had a big month of training. I looked at my numbers and it is no wonder that my wife was getting a little fed up. I am going to do a short, very easy, spin on the bike tonight. Looking at my numbers I need two more miles today on the bike and then I will post them.
2013-03-31 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Stuart: I'm sorry it's been such a tough month for you. One foot in front of the other!

2013-03-31 6:57 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks guys

Tomorrow starts a new month!  GO TEAM!!

2013-03-31 7:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-the really fast guy won grandmasters....so I was really 3rd in AG but bumped up to 2nd when he took grandmasters.

Randee-sorry about the loss of your pooch. So much going on for you this time of year. Its like losing a member of the "family".

Stuart-one step at a time. You will regain your fitness quickly. Hang in there.

Pretty good March...hopefully it will pay off next weekend at Galveston. 

Mary/Scott-nice work on the training!

Bike: 24h 44m 24s - 542.51 Mi
Run: 14h 29m 52s - 103.93 Mi
Swim: 12h 36m 46s - 40480 Yd

Race report:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=482875&posts=1&start=1

2013-03-31 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4681119

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
slornow - 2013-03-31 8:11 PM

Jason-the really fast guy won grandmasters....so I was really 3rd in AG but bumped up to 2nd when he took grandmasters.

Randee-sorry about the loss of your pooch. So much going on for you this time of year. Its like losing a member of the "family".

Stuart-one step at a time. You will regain your fitness quickly. Hang in there.

Pretty good March...hopefully it will pay off next weekend at Galveston. 

Mary/Scott-nice work on the training!

Bike: 24h 44m 24s - 542.51 Mi
Run: 14h 29m 52s - 103.93 Mi
Swim: 12h 36m 46s - 40480 Yd

Race report:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=482875&posts=1&start=1

Stuart-Sorry to hear about the troubles with the arm, that has to be frustrating, but hang in there! Time will pass, and you'll be back in the game.

Randy-Like the new profile pic. Nate and I ran by Furman today; that campus sure looks nice! Your daughter is going to love it there.

Here are my March numbers, which happen to be my best ever:

Bike:22h 21m 45s  - 110.71 Mi
Run:17h 40m 29s  - 115.14 Mi
Swim:13h 30m 03s  - 32450 M

Those bike miles should be larger, but I don't track distance on the trainer. I'm really happy with these totals, especially the run, as it's my first +100 mile month ever. I'm feeling good at this point, so I just hope I can hang on until August 25! This is my Spring Break, so my Rest Day tomorrow is going to be total rest: no work, no workout; I'm not really sure what I'll do with myself!

2013-03-31 7:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nate/Jamie-I really like the way your training looks. Nice steady build. You guys are doing it the right way and will be ready when it's time for IM Louisville. Wife and daughter are coming to Greenville late in the week for accepted student's day. Dorothy is really excited......already planning the decorating of her dorm room!
2013-03-31 9:12 PM

User image

Expert

Randee - so sorry for your loss.  I lost a dog over a year ago, and it still hurts when I think about him.

Randy - great job on your race!

Stuart - you will get your groove back!

This month has not been very productive for me.  I'm glad it's over and I'm ready to put in some solid hours from here on out (through IM AZ).

March's totals:
Bike:9h 12m  - 172.45 Mi
Run:11h 49m 32s  - 80.02 Mi
Swim:7h 07m  - 19400 Yd

2013-04-01 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Randee: So sorry for your loss. Our pets are such a wonderful part of our lives and I know how hard it is to lose one.

Randy-Love the pics of you and your daughter at the prom. she doesn't look like she minded dancing with you at all. Congrats on the race.

Stuart and Rene-Good luck coming back from your injuries. Hang in there. Rene-I'm really glad you will be able to run again.

Mary-All I did to warm up for a sprint is get in the water and make sure I'm comfortable with the temp. I also swam just a little to get a feel for the water. Just enought to be comfortable and feel ready to go.

So I finally met with the nutritionist Friday. She thinks I'm eating too many carbs/not enough protien so I need to completely overhaul my diet. She also thinks I can cut back on calories if I eat less carbs. she says the carbs are mqking me hungry. I spent all day yesterday trying to work out the details on an excel spreadsheet. It's actually really hard to stay under the recomendations for carbs and get enough protein on a vegetarian diet because all my main protein sources have carbs. The real bummer is cutting out almost all fruit. I really thought by eating it I was doing something healthy and can't help feeling like I'm cutting good healthy foods completely out of my diet. It's all going to take a few days to figure out.

My long run yesterday didn't go so well. I stopped when my leg tightened up a lot after 3 miles then walked a mile home. I'm really hoping if I take it easy I'll still be able to run a lot of my HM next month but I think it's definitely going to be a run/walk event. It's just the ratio that's up in the air. I'm really worried that I might not be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time. If it wasn't for the charity money I raised I'd skip it and move on to something else because I'm not really doing myself any favors right now. I'm really looking forward to getting beyond it so I can refocus my training and not worry so much about saving it up for my long runs. It's not working out welll anyway.

I'll post my March numbers later. They're not great but better than February. I cna't copy/paste from this computer for some reason.

2013-04-01 8:22 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
March's totals:
Bike: 21h 15m - 498.4 Mi
Run: 15h 05m 16s - 121.78 Mi
Swim: 18h 54m - 62300 Yd

I never did get on the trainer to do two more miles last night :) I decided that since they are all trainer miles, the actual distance is pretty meaningless. Two more miles would have been a little silly in that setting. (There is no way that on the road I would be averaging 23+ MPH....) The running and swimming distances are right.

Overall happy with the direction I am headed.

I am really, really sore from the weekend's training.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-04-01 8:23 AM
2013-04-01 4:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole-

I am super glad that you went to a nutritionist but I have to admit that I would have some real questions for someone who was suggesting that I reduce my fruit or vegetable intake.

One of the things that I attempt to do to keep my weight in check is to specifically try to eat ten or more servings of fruits and vegetable every day. When I am eating nutritious, high volume fruits and veggies it is a lot harder to eat junk calories. The good stuff just fills me up.

Just my two cents. Worth what you paid for it I guess.
2013-04-01 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4682385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

wannabefaster - 2013-04-01 5:53 PM Nicole- I am super glad that you went to a nutritionist but I have to admit that I would have some real questions for someone who was suggesting that I reduce my fruit or vegetable intake. One of the things that I attempt to do to keep my weight in check is to specifically try to eat ten or more servings of fruits and vegetable every day. When I am eating nutritious, high volume fruits and veggies it is a lot harder to eat junk calories. The good stuff just fills me up. Just my two cents. Worth what you paid for it I guess.

I appreciate your 2 cents and am guessing it's worth a whole lot more than I paid. I agree and I am feeling a little dubious about it which is why I posted about it. To be clear, no one really suggested that I stop eating fruits (although, she thought I ate too many) but by restricting my carbs to under 250/day with a protein intake of 120 it makes it difficult to fit them in. As a vegetarian my main source of proteins are beans and quinoa. I could also include nuts and nut butters and probably will but they are high in fat and calories which I am also restricting to 

March's numbers:

March's totals:
Run:7h 59m 59s - 31.39 Mi
Swim:2h 05m - 3200 Yd

Really not great but better than last month. To be honest, I feel like I'm just in a holding pattern-unable to train properly for my HM and unable to move on to the next thing because I have to train as much as I'm able for it. My heart is really not in it. Tonight my SO called to say he was at my house and I skipped my swim entirely. I'm not even sorry. We almost never get to see each other but tomorrow is his birthday and I won't be able to swim then either. Maybe I can get a very short run in after he leaves tomorrow, though. It used to stress me out a lot to miss these workouts even when I made the same decisions but now I don't even care. It's not that I don't want to work out or I'm too tired I just feel very laid back about the whole thing. I like it but at the same time-I don't know-I'll just be glad to get beyond this race.

Sorry my posts have been so long. Maybe if I posted more often but I have to admit it takes me a few days to check in sometimes.

Edited by nicoleg 2013-04-01 6:00 PM
2013-04-01 8:25 PM

User image

New user
I track my intake on my fitness pal. I am always over on sugar but I eat really well, fruit, veggies, yogurt, nut butters, cheese, pasta, rice, hummus. I just don't worry about the sugar when I know most is from decent sources.

I swam a mile tonight! It took me 58". Not fast but I was thrilled to do the distance. I usually do my bike and swim on the same day so don't have an hour to swim but today was swim only so I decided to see if I could do it!

2013-04-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4682635

User image

Master
Chunga - 2013-04-01 8:25 PM

• I swam a mile tonight! It took me 58". Not fast but I was thrilled to do the distance. I usually do my bike and swim on the same day so don't have an hour to swim but today was swim only so I decided to see if I could do it!

• AWESOME!!

2013-04-02 5:54 AM
    in reply to: #4682721

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Catwoman - 2013-04-01 10:24 PM
    Chunga - 2013-04-01 8:25 PM .

I swam a mile tonight! It took me 58". Not fast but I was thrilled to do the distance. I usually do my bike and swim on the same day so don't have an hour to swim but today was swim only so I decided to see if I could do it!
    AWESOME!!

Agreed! Great job, Mary!!!

2013-04-02 5:57 AM

User image

Master
    South Alabama
    Mary-that's fantastic! You have really made some great progress.
    2013-04-02 7:02 AM
    in reply to: #4682478

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    I appreciate your 2 cents and am guessing it's worth a whole lot more than I paid. I agree and I am feeling a little dubious about it which is why I posted about it. To be clear, no one really suggested that I stop eating fruits (although, she thought I ate too many) but by restricting my carbs to under 250/day with a protein intake of 120 it makes it difficult to fit them in. As a vegetarian my main source of proteins are beans and quinoa. I could also include nuts and nut butters and probably will but they are high in fat and calories which I am also restricting to

March's numbers:

March's totals:
    Run: 7h 59m 59s - 31.39 Mi
    Swim: 2h 05m - 3200 Yd

Really not great but better than last month. To be honest, I feel like I'm just in a holding pattern-unable to train properly for my HM and unable to move on to the next thing because I have to train as much as I'm able for it. My heart is really not in it. Tonight my SO called to say he was at my house and I skipped my swim entirely. I'm not even sorry. We almost never get to see each other but tomorrow is his birthday and I won't be able to swim then either. Maybe I can get a very short run in after he leaves tomorrow, though. It used to stress me out a lot to miss these workouts even when I made the same decisions but now I don't even care. It's not that I don't want to work out or I'm too tired I just feel very laid back about the whole thing. I like it but at the same time-I don't know-I'll just be glad to get beyond this race.

Sorry my posts have been so long. Maybe if I posted more often but I have to admit it takes me a few days to check in sometimes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole-

It sounds to me like you need to shake things up a little bit to get your training mojo back Maybe try something totally outside of the box to get you interested again. If you are really interested in weight loss I have found that really intense interval workouts tend to torch the calories and it seems like the after-burn is pretty significant as well. Google High Intensity Interval Training if you are interested.

One workout that I have used over the years, especially when I am time crunched is the "sprint eight workout." Super fast. Super effective.

What you do is this: 3-5 minutes easy warm up with increasing intensity for the last minute or so. Then the main workout is this: 30 seconds all out, as hard as you can. You should feel like you are nearing failure at the end of 30 seconds, like you could not make it to 40 seconds if you had to. You then get 90 seconds of super easy recovery. Repeat times 8. Then 3-5 minutes of cool down, and in 25 minutes you have done a workout that was fun (in a painful kind of way), effective and efficient. You can do it in any sport; swimming, cycling, running, jump-roping. I used to do it on the elliptical all of the time many years ago.

It may not be triathlon specific training but it will increase your fitness and burn some serious calories. There is actually some science out there that you can look up that supports this kind of training for weight loss. I used to do this workout 2-3 times per week on the elliptical with no ill effects.

You may not be interested but just throwing some stuff out there.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66