BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-02-16 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3357012

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 8:14 PM Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

Today I got in the pool for the first time since all your tips and advice.  I did check out Mr. Smooth and tried a few of the tips during my swim today.  Other than getting out of breath (as always) I think I tweaked my swim quite a bit and it felt a lot better.  I wish I didn't have to think so much as I was doing it though...I think that wears me out just as much as the actual swimming : )  Anyway, Mr. Smooth appeared to rock his body back and forth as he kicked and did his arms so I tried this and that is a huge help in keeping my body up.  I'm not sure why that is but it felt like that's what it did when I tried it.  I guess doing that helps you kick with your hips not your knees.  I also found that I was not as tired by the time I reached the end of the pool, I was out of breath, but my body wasn't tired and I haven't timed myself but I feel like I am faster too.  So today was a success!  Maybe my swimming still sucks but it feels better so I'm happy.  One of these days when I live in a normal decent town I can find a swim coach or a gym with swim lessons.  Ugh, the military life sometimes.  Speaking of, my husband gets back from his deployment soon!! He's already on his way back but it takes over a week to get home so I'm just still counting the days.  Then I'll really have no excuses for missing a workout...he'll be here to watch the kiddos! :

Awesome that your husband is coming home Smile

Congrats on the swimming improvements.  I'm still working on rocking the body with the strokes, but when I get it all correct it feels awesome.

2011-02-16 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3357008

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-15 9:13 PM HOLLY SMOKES EVERYONE!  Relax, the group is not going to end.  I was in Mikes group last year along with a few people who I now consider friends.  It was much, much smaller than this group and we kept it going until this one started.  Even through last fall and into winter.  We would still have it going, but most of us have just jumped over to this group now.

We all recognized the value of having someone to stay accountable to for the entire race season, and as it went along our bond got stronger, and several of us even met up to do a race together at the end of the season in Ohio.  Looks like we are planning to do it again this summer (same group - Yes this means you Laura Cobb) Laughing  and I am sure you would all be welcomed to join us.  It is kinda like our own little McFuzzie family reunion.

My point is this, there is no reason to start getting worried that it is all coming to an end, it will not.  So long as we stay active, the group IS active.  Hope to see you all at the starting line.

This is true.... Our group will keep going    And yes, I will be planning on doing deer creek in september again
2011-02-16 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Sorry I haven't been active on the forum in a couples days.... Working nights (7p-7a) plus longer runs= sleep deprived, tired, and cranky! I had to take off yesterday- my body and sanitity really appreciated it.....

I have been checking the forum and checking out logs. Love to see the increasing numbers/miles. I deviated from my plan alittle bit this week. I had to get outside b/c the weather was/is so nice! 40 deg feels like summer I'm going to try to get back on the plan for the rest of the week.

As for our group- I get the most out of holding myself accountable. Through training on my own almost 90% I have too. But it's nice to see that I'm not the only one pushing myself. I also love to give/recieve inspires and I'm going to make a better effort at doing so.  Keep up the great work everyone!!
2011-02-16 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3356914

User image

Elite
ricmachado - 2011-02-15 6:51 PM discipleguideservice, nice bike,congrats!!!

I wish the group stays active, I don't post much because I hate to write in English (specially with an English teacher on this groupTongue out) not being native at English language, my write isn't very good.
But still think that this is a good place to get some tips and share victories.

I have one race planned next month and then a Marathon in November, so I was planning to stay for the long haul.

I would never have known!  I'll go easy on you, I promise!
2011-02-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3357070

User image

Del Rio, TX
IceManScott - 2011-02-15 8:50 PM
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 8:14 PM Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

Today I got in the pool for the first time since all your tips and advice.  I did check out Mr. Smooth and tried a few of the tips during my swim today.  Other than getting out of breath (as always) I think I tweaked my swim quite a bit and it felt a lot better.  I wish I didn't have to think so much as I was doing it though...I think that wears me out just as much as the actual swimming : )  Anyway, Mr. Smooth appeared to rock his body back and forth as he kicked and did his arms so I tried this and that is a huge help in keeping my body up.  I'm not sure why that is but it felt like that's what it did when I tried it.  I guess doing that helps you kick with your hips not your knees.  I also found that I was not as tired by the time I reached the end of the pool, I was out of breath, but my body wasn't tired and I haven't timed myself but I feel like I am faster too.  So today was a success!  Maybe my swimming still sucks but it feels better so I'm happy.  One of these days when I live in a normal decent town I can find a swim coach or a gym with swim lessons.  Ugh, the military life sometimes.  Speaking of, my husband gets back from his deployment soon!! He's already on his way back but it takes over a week to get home so I'm just still counting the days.  Then I'll really have no excuses for missing a workout...he'll be here to watch the kiddos! :

I'm so glad your husband is coming home. 

The swim thing:  Sometimes the out of breath feeling is because we don't like to breath out completely when our face is down so we can't fill out lungs with fresh air when we turn our heads.  Have to empty the lungs to fill them.  When we concentrate on blowing out rather than breathing in, the breathing in takes care of itself.  Your diaphragm has no choice but to pull air in when you blow out as much as you can. I learned that when I first started to run again. Chi running focuses on breathing out so you can get a full lung capacity on the breathe in.  Just try it now.  Blow out hard and see what happens.  You will fill your lungs without trying.  Also easy does it on the stroke.  Just relax...take it easy.  focus on swimming tall, reaching, kicking as you say from the hips but not overdoing it because kicking burns a lot of energy.  You are getting it.

Ok, so Thurs. I'll be working on breathing, thanks!  I have been breathing every left stroke so maybe making sure I breathe all the way out will help me bilaterally breathe.  I'll keep you posted.  And yes my kick has been very calm because I can't kick too fast when i rock my body like you're supposed to so it's all coming together, slowly but surely!

2011-02-16 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 9:14 PM

Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

YAY!! Glad you will have your spouse back and I hear you on the swimming. I only did 500 yards this morning, but it's 100 more than last time. I get pooped too. I just try to go slow. This reminds me a lot of golf sometimes...one swing thought is all you can really deal with and still hit the ball. I'm going to have to come up with a 'stroke thought' or something!

2011-02-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3355740

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-15 9:56 AM

Halfway done!? Surprised  I was planning on being a McFuzzy until my HIM in June and beyond!  I hope we don't *have* to disband!  So if the thread stays active, it'll still be here?

I was laughing to myself this morning as I hopped on my trainer.   This is a recovery week for me.  Well, my 1:29 trainer ride + 28 minute run was my recovery workout.  Back at the beginning of January it was my hardest workout!

Dealing with a bit of self-sabotage the past few days.  Since I've been getting compliments and people noticing weight loss it has sent me into the panic mode of "Holy crap, I'm actually doing what I set out to do...must. go. back. to. failure."  BUT...with the help of a great support I have my head back where it needs to be and I'm back in the saddle again.  Giddy-Up!

THAT is cool. When the formerly "hard" workouts become recovery. I look forward to that!
2011-02-16 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Hello from the abyss.

First off, I want to apologize to everyone for being MIA for who knows how long.

A bit of an explanation...

I was applying for a promotion at work. Well I heard from the IT guy that they were tracking the internet usage of the candidates that applied closer. Combined with a TERRIBLE wireless internet connection at home for the past month and suffice to say I haven't been able to get online really at all. I have been still training for the past weeks, but haven't been able to log it.

Unfortunately I did not get the promotion due to "experience." Which I love when they say that because how the F$&@ am I supposed to gain experience with the Guardianship Committee when they won't let me anywhere near it because I don't have enough experience?!?!

Anyways, now that I didn't get the promotion I will be online all day again while applying for other jobs elsewhere.

I see that I have got some inspires, which I appreciate. I'm not sure how much longer these groups are technically "together," hopefully for some time.

Again, I apologize for not being around and hope everyone's training has been going well. Talk to you all soon.
2011-02-16 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3358704

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
zee744 - 2011-02-16 3:57 PM Hello from the abyss.

First off, I want to apologize to everyone for being MIA for who knows how long.

I was applying for a promotion at work. Well I heard from the IT guy that they were tracking the internet usage of the candidates that applied closer. Combined with a TERRIBLE wireless internet connection at home for the past month and suffice to say I haven't been able to get online really at all. I have been still training for the past weeks, but haven't been able to log it.

Unfortunately I did not get the promotion due to "experience." Which I love when they say that because how the F$&@ am I supposed to gain experience with the Guardianship Committee when they won't let me anywhere near it because I don't have enough experience?!?!

Anyways, now that I didn't get the promotion I will be online all day again while applying for other jobs elsewhere.

I see that I have got some inspires, which I appreciate. I'm not sure how much longer these groups are technically "together," hopefully for some time.

Again, I apologize for not being around and hope everyone's training has been going well. Talk to you all soon.

Nate - so sorry you didn't get the promotion, but glad you are back.  Good to hear training is still on!
2011-02-16 9:01 PM

Veteran
sjhodgson - 2011-02-15 9:14 PM Very jealous of all the new bikes!  I think I'll have to hold off on that until next winter...maybe a Christmas present to myself.  

I'm soooo happy that your going to be able to be with your hubby soon!!Laughing  I come from a military family my self.   Please tell your husband that we appreciate all of his hard work, dedication, and the sacrifices he makes for our country.  Thank you also, I know it's not easy on you and your family.

Since I just learned how to swim not long ago my self, I wanted to share a little something with you that my girlfriend told me when she taught me how to swim.  She told me that IT'S ALL IN THE HIPS!!! Turn your hips from side to side.   When I tried it, sure enough it helped me stay up higher towards the top of the water.  Another thing that has helped me is looking forward when I do my extended arm reaches underwater.  It helps me so that my head isn't so far down in the water.  Now please understand that I am not the best swimmer in the world, but these are a few tips that have helped me, that I hope help you.  Keep up the hard work and know that your not alone in this. We're here for you... Wink
2011-02-16 9:21 PM

Veteran
zee744 - 2011-02-16 4:57 PM Hello from the abyss.

Nate - About the job ... Who do I need to go talk to?? 
Seriously ... I'm sorry you didn't get the job.  Don't let it rob you, and bring you down. Stay strong!! Working out is a great way to relieve stress.  Get on here and do some chatting.  It will help keep your mind off crap.

2011-02-16 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3334953

Veteran
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-02 10:18 AM Goals for February:  keep up the enthusiasm and motivation for this crazy training schedule!  Now that the honeymoon period is over I have come to realize that this is going to be a loooooong road until my HIM June 11.  Workouts are getting progressively tougher and longer and I'm pushing myself past what I've ever done before (including marathon training).
I'd like to see my average miles per hour increase on the trainer for long rides.  But I imagine that will come with time.  I was very happy with my January training and hope to have just as good of a February...but like I said, reality is setting in!

You can do it!!! I'm right there with you.  My HIM is in July.  My workout's are going to increase as well.  I will check in with you, and see how your doing, could you do the same with me?  I sure could use some check in's & encouragement. WE CAN DO IT!! Tongue out
2011-02-17 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I tried to find the inspire tips, and couldn't. Can inspire some people and not others...sometimes I swear it's not possible. Maybe I need to stop using Chrome and go back to explorer.

When they say I can't run, can I still walk with tendonitis? I do a lot of walking and maybe I shouldn't.

Ree you are an inspiration and ALL tips help!
2011-02-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3359397

User image

Master
Orlando
stephsprint - 2011-02-17 7:06 AM I tried to find the inspire tips, and couldn't. Can inspire some people and not others...sometimes I swear it's not possible. Maybe I need to stop using Chrome and go back to explorer. When they say I can't run, can I still walk with tendonitis? I do a lot of walking and maybe I shouldn't. Ree you are an inspiration and ALL tips help!

have you tried Firefox?  I think it is the preferred system for BT. 

I had patella tendonitis before my last marathon, dr said I could run without doing any damage; it was more of a pain issue v. a damage issue.  I developed the tendonitis when I switched to a more minimalist shoe that changed the way i run (and I didn't do any type of slow build up).  Once I figured out what was causing the problem, I stopped using the shoes and went back to my Brooks Adrenalines.  I don't know if that (stopping doing what caused the issue) is why I was given the okay to run or if it is just because tendonitis is really just an inflammation and although painful, is not damaging. 

Anyway, 13.1 miles is a long way to walk and if you're doctor has restricted  your activity, she/he may not ok that amount of walking at one time.  I'd give the doctor a call and ask.

So, basically, I guess my post says, "I don't know.  Call your doctor"Laughing

Ann-Marie
2011-02-17 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

zee744 - 2011-02-16 1:57 PM Hello from the abyss.

That sucks. Sorry to hear, something will turn up :-D  Glad to have you back!

I was SO sick last week. High fever, cough, sweating, urgh. Was miserable. Took a break from BT and FB and rested!!!!  Felt good.  Back at it now though.  I have 8 days to go till I take off for Scotland so I am squeezing in workouts as often as possible. I know I will stuff my face while I'm over there and I want to be able to do it 100% guilt free :D

2011-02-17 9:21 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I also had a question.  I am doing the Seattle to Portland bike ride July 9th $ 10th.  I just got an email from a site called Zozi.com offering a $37 half marathon. It's the week AFTER the bike ride.  Think I could do it?   Just seems like too good a price to pass up. It's 51% off and there's champagne and chocolate involved at the end too.

2011-02-17 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
I'm really conservative about not overdoing stuff because I've have a crap load of time out from over use injuries, so given that...

Steph_ I agree with Ann-marie that 13.1 is a L O N G walk, personally i think I'd get bored. Here's my two cents, why not let it go, focus your energy on your bike/swim and set your sights on that April Tri you're signed up for. Let your knee really recover. Better to deal with your disappointment then delaying the healing process and risk worsening it.

Triathlynne (love that moniker) I dont know how strong a biker you are, (I went to your logs but couldnt access your history) or how fast you plan to ride but I wouldn't want to go into a race one week after a major effort like that. Maybe if you are  feeling like doing the 1/2 marathon as a fun run insead of a race where you would be looking to PR or something? Still it seems like a lot to me. It would almost be like training for a HIM, training to do both events one week apart.

Edited by Corncub 2011-02-17 12:32 PM
2011-02-17 12:42 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX
Thank you everyone for the thanks in regard to my hubby.  He's on his way home and is at his second stop and it looks like he's stuck there for about a week but he's out of Afghanistan anyway so it's fine with me.

Nate - Sorry about the promotion, guess we just all have to focus on the positives when things like that happen.  Awesome on keeping up the training!

Steph - Yeah my 'stroke thought' right now is 'I hope I can make it to the end of the pool' so I'm thinking I should change that to something a bit more positive. : )

Ree - I did try the hip rocking and it makes a world of difference in keeping my body up in the water...I mean huge!!  Not sure if I'm swimming any faster but it is definitely easier which means I can go farther!

Training today was a 40min swim.  It went well and I did 2x200 freestyle with no stopping other than the extra few breathes I get at the wall when I'm turning around.  That's huge for me because before the furthest I could go was 100 and that would kill me.  So thanks all around for the swimming advice, it appears to be working! : )  I am soooo excited about this!  Now I just need to get a road bike instead of a mountain bike and I'll be kicking some serious butt at triathlons!  Ok, not really but a new bike is on the wish list! 
2011-02-17 2:21 PM

User image

Longview, Texas
I don't have a place to swim, and cannot afford one right now, so what is a good substitute for the swim workouts on the training plans? I started to use the elliptical at the gym instead of swim, is this a good idea o should I increase bike ad run time instead? or even use the schedule time as weight training? 
I'm only doing one duathlon and a couple of runs this year, and maybe a marathon in Nov. 
2011-02-17 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3360330

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
ricmachado - 2011-02-17 3:21 PM I don't have a place to swim, and cannot afford one right now, so what is a good substitute for the swim workouts on the training plans? I started to use the elliptical at the gym instead of swim, is this a good idea o should I increase bike ad run time instead? or even use the schedule time as weight training? 
I'm only doing one duathlon and a couple of runs this year, and maybe a marathon in Nov. 

I would just use that time as whatever you would like really. I wouldn't do elliptical. Stick to run, bike or weights. It allows you to switch up the routine and make it more interesting.
2011-02-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3360330

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

ricmachado - 2011-02-17 2:21 PM I don't have a place to swim, and cannot afford one right now, so what is a good substitute for the swim workouts on the training plans? I started to use the elliptical at the gym instead of swim, is this a good idea o should I increase bike ad run time instead? or even use the schedule time as weight training? 

You're not going to like this, but there's really no substitute for swimming.  Sure, the elliptical can give you a great cardio workout, but so can running and cycling.  As many frustrated marathoner's-attempting-to-learn-swimming will attest, you gotta get wet.  There are some dry-land workouts that help with strength and range-of-motion for swimming, but you don't learn body position and breathing on the deck. 

I'm not sure how comfortable/confident you are in the water.  If you've swam a lot and are comfortable, you can get by with only a few trips to an expensive pool before a tri.  If you're not very comfortable, the start of a triathlon is NOT the place to find out.  I tell people that even with water support, don't get into the water unless you're confident you can take care of yourself.  If there's one lifeguard per 10 participants, there's a 90% chance he or she isn't looking at you when you have a problem.  More likely, there will be one guard per 30-50 participants and open water (even in a lake) is very different than a pool. 

2011-02-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3359641

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Triathlynne - 2011-02-17 9:21 AM

I also had a question.  I am doing the Seattle to Portland bike ride July 9th $ 10th.  I just got an email from a site called Zozi.com offering a $37 half marathon. It's the week AFTER the bike ride.  Think I could do it?   Just seems like too good a price to pass up. It's 51% off and there's champagne and chocolate involved at the end too.

You've got enough time to train for the 2-day ride and the half-marathon mid-summer. 

What would you consider the risks?  Assuming this is an organized ride and not a race, you shouldn't have a lot of pressure to go fast and trash your legs on the ride.  The risk of crashing (low, but not zero) or sunburn (low, even with sunscreen) taking you out of the marathon isn't high and the entry cost pretty low, so probably worth taking.  (I'd signed up for IMCdA and Steelhead in 2009.  The crash at CdA took me out of Steelhead...

I did a 30-mile trail run 7 hours after running a marathon, so I'm not going to weigh in on whether it'd be a smart decision or not. 
2011-02-17 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

The position I applied for was an Admin. Asst. under the two Executive Directors here. The person who go the position was from down the street at our state office. Turns out her position is now open. Both of the Director's spoke to me separately about applying for the position and said I have a good shot at getting it!

So I guess things do work out!

Thanks everyone!

2011-02-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3360419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
McFuzz - 2011-02-17 4:04 PM

ricmachado - 2011-02-17 2:21 PM I don't have a place to swim, and cannot afford one right now, so what is a good substitute for the swim workouts on the training plans? I started to use the elliptical at the gym instead of swim, is this a good idea o should I increase bike ad run time instead? or even use the schedule time as weight training? 

You're not going to like this, but there's really no substitute for swimming.  Sure, the elliptical can give you a great cardio workout, but so can running and cycling.  As many frustrated marathoner's-attempting-to-learn-swimming will attest, you gotta get wet.  There are some dry-land workouts that help with strength and range-of-motion for swimming, but you don't learn body position and breathing on the deck. 

I'm not sure how comfortable/confident you are in the water.  If you've swam a lot and are comfortable, you can get by with only a few trips to an expensive pool before a tri.  If you're not very comfortable, the start of a triathlon is NOT the place to find out.  I tell people that even with water support, don't get into the water unless you're confident you can take care of yourself.  If there's one lifeguard per 10 participants, there's a 90% chance he or she isn't looking at you when you have a problem.  More likely, there will be one guard per 30-50 participants and open water (even in a lake) is very different than a pool. 

x2
2011-02-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3360436

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
McFuzz - 2011-02-17 3:14 PM
Triathlynne - 2011-02-17 9:21 AM

You've got enough time to train for the 2-day ride and the half-marathon mid-summer. 

What would you consider the risks?  Assuming this is an organized ride and not a race, you shouldn't have a lot of pressure to go fast and trash your legs on the ride.  The risk of crashing (low, but not zero) or sunburn (low, even with sunscreen) taking you out of the marathon isn't high and the entry cost pretty low, so probably worth taking.  (I'd signed up for IMCdA and Steelhead in 2009.  The crash at CdA took me out of Steelhead...

I did a 30-mile trail run 7 hours after running a marathon, so I'm not going to weigh in on whether it'd be a smart decision or not. 

Did you run it at night? Where you possibly not all there upstairs? WOW!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106