Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-09-11 8:45 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

I'm back! Had a really nice weekend.
Friday night I went to the store, and was feeling really antsy from being trapped inside all week, so once I got home I decided to take a walk. Ended up doing 2 1/2 miles around the park by my house. It felt SO GOOD!

The next day I had a wedding. Woke up and read and then had to get ready quickly so skipped my workout for the day. The wedding was an hour and a half away and I didn't want to stay there overnight (I was a plus one with someone I was very briefly dating), so didn't drink much. It was a really fun wedding, but was able to drive home safely and sleep in my bed that night.

Woke up yesterday and had vball playoffs. Usually we play Mondays, but since I was sick and people were able to be flexible, we played yesterday instead. I was getting winded pretty easily but overall played okay. My partner and I lost in semis to a team that is just ridiculously consistent. They ended up winning, and then we played a couple more games after.

Woke up this morning and got in a 30 minute PZ ride on my Peloton, then did 10 minutes of core. Feeling pretty good!

Welcome back Nicole!

Yes, driving is a great way to limit the alcohol intake! what's the legal limit in your part of the year? Here, you can get away with it with one glass of wine/beer if you wait a few hours before you drive. It's pretty much 0 tolerance.

Legal limit is .8 blood alcohol level. About a drink or two I would say, depending on your size, without waiting before driving.

2023-09-11 9:43 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Finished last week strongly, with a 2 1/2 hour zwift ride Saturday (previous longest trainer ride was 2 hours). 80 minute easy run Sunday morning and 60 minute zwift Sunday evening.

Swim, 0. Life won this week
Bike, x4, 5hr 30 min.
Run, x4, 3hr 30 min
Strength/Mobility, x2, 30min

That's 9 hours of SBR, plus a bit of stretching/bodyweight stuff, and the end of 2 good build weeks. Rest week this week. Aiming for 2 swims, 3 bikes , 3 runs. I feel like I could carry on for another build week but will trust the plan and back off.
2023-09-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Good to see you're released and healthy. Way to go on yet another PB this year. Awesome work. Hospital stay to taking over 10 minutes off your Oly Tri time is quite a week. You must be stoked.

@Nathalie. Nice to see a few notes to future Nat. She's going to need all the help she can get to chase down the 2023 version.

@NIcole, Glad you're on the mend.

That is quite a list of self improvement you've got planned. What do you think us BDAS'ers can do to help you knock it out of the park?
2023-09-12 3:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Because of my long walk, I didn't get to share my plan with you all on Friday, so here is the gist of it: ()

Thanks for sharing. DISCLAIMER: I am not sure how you function but I will comment as if I was going to do this.

*First of all, that would be too much and I would end up doing nothing at all after a week or so
*Why don't you count volleyball and football as workout?
*I like signing up for a minimum of 4 races per year. They are a great motivator
*Re: alcohol, I feel it's a little too flexible at weekends - If you give yourself an option to get out of the rule (the rule being I will only drink one weekend day/night (Friday or Saturday), then the door is open for more "abuse" of the rule.

Again,my comments are based on my personal experience, feel free to tell me to F off

To answer Andrew's question how we at BDAS can help. How about you show us this monthly tracker at regular intervals?

Good luck!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-09-12 7:12 AM
2023-09-12 3:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Finished last week strongly, with a 2 1/2 hour zwift ride Saturday (previous longest trainer ride was 2 hours). 80 minute easy run Sunday morning and 60 minute zwift Sunday evening.

Swim, 0. Life won this week
Bike, x4, 5hr 30 min.
Run, x4, 3hr 30 min
Strength/Mobility, x2, 30min

That's 9 hours of SBR, plus a bit of stretching/bodyweight stuff, and the end of 2 good build weeks. Rest week this week. Aiming for 2 swims, 3 bikes , 3 runs. I feel like I could carry on for another build week but will trust the plan and back off.

Nice work Andrew (other than 0 swims)

How are our Warriors doing in the playoffs?

Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!
2023-09-12 9:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Because of my long walk, I didn't get to share my plan with you all on Friday, so here is the gist of it: ()

Thanks for sharing. DISCLAIMER: I am not sure how you function but I will comment as if I was going to do this.

*First of all, that would be too much and I would end up doing nothing at all after a week or so
*I like signing up for a minimum of 4 races per year. They are a great motivator
*Re: alcohol, I feel it's a little too flexible at weekends - If you give yourself an option to get out of the rule (the rule being I will only drink one weekend day/night (Friday or Saturday), then the door is open for more "abuse" of the rule.

Again,my comments are based on my personal experience, feel free to tell me to F off

To answer Andrew's question how we at BDAS can help. How about you show us this monthly tracker at regular intervals?

Good luck!

Nicole, that is an amazing list of things you'd like to address in your life. Kudos for having the capacity to reflect and identify things you want to change. I'm with Nat though, it seems like A LOT of stuff to tackle all at once. If it were me, I'd do it for two or three days and then quit because I was overwhelmed. Can you think about trying one new thing in each category for a month? Have you read James Clear's book Atomic Habits? I really enjoyed the discussions about how small changes, over time, and stacked habits can lead you to your ultimate goals, without overwhelming yourself.

2023-09-12 9:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I took yesterday off after my race on Sunday. Of course, me being me, I spent five hours doing yard work and cleaning the house on my off day. Nothing like hauling four tons of brush to make your training days seem light!

This morning I got up early to get in a 1:04 tempo interval run before heading to work. Later this afternoon I'll do a 30' easy spin at the gym before my strength training session with my trainer.

I have a friend coming to visit for the weekend this week and I'm bugging out trying to figure out how to get in all my sessions! This juggling act is tough...must be what everyone else does all the time (you know, those who have lives beyond triathlon and work!). I figure she is a late sleeper, so getting up early on Saturday to fit in a 90' ride before she gets up won't be too hard (assuming we don't hit the drinks too hard on Friday night...hahahahahahahahahahahahaha).
2023-09-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I have a friend coming to visit for the weekend this week and I'm bugging out trying to figure out how to get in all my sessions! This juggling act is tough...must be what everyone else does all the time (you know, those who have lives beyond triathlon and work!). I figure she is a late sleeper, so getting up early on Saturday to fit in a 90' ride before she gets up won't be too hard (assuming we don't hit the drinks too hard on Friday night...hahahahahahahahahahahahaha).

Had the same concerns last month, your advice was talk to her. So right back atcha!

At least you can get up early and squeeze all your workouts before she wakes up. I don't do early.

2023-09-12 9:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Had the same concerns last month, your advice was talk to her. So right back atcha!

At least you can get up early and squeeze all your workouts before she wakes up. I don't do early.

HAHA!! Do as I say? What?!?!?!

It is a bit of a delicate situation, because this particular friend has said before that she thinks I have an exercise addiction (from someone who smokes a pack a day and drinks at least a quart of gin a day--love her to death, but damn does she have some terrible habits!)

She's only in town for one night, so probably not so hard to get in Saturday morning workout before she wakes up, but not being able to go swimming Saturday has thrown a wrench into my plans.
2023-09-12 1:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

HAHA!! Do as I say? What?!?!?!

It is a bit of a delicate situation, because this particular friend has said before that she thinks I have an exercise addiction (from someone who smokes a pack a day and drinks at least a quart of gin a day--love her to death, but damn does she have some terrible habits!)

She's only in town for one night, so probably not so hard to get in Saturday morning workout before she wakes up, but not being able to go swimming Saturday has thrown a wrench into my plans.

I'll take an exercise addiction over a nicotine addiction ANY DAY!
I'm sure you will find a way, and worst case, you don't swim that day, and maybe adjust to do it another day, or maybe just skip that one. Either way you will be fine!
2023-09-12 1:44 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Good luck!

Nicole, that is an amazing list of things you'd like to address in your life. Kudos for having the capacity to reflect and identify things you want to change. I'm with Nat though, it seems like A LOT of stuff to tackle all at once. If it were me, I'd do it for two or three days and then quit because I was overwhelmed. Can you think about trying one new thing in each category for a month? Have you read James Clear's book Atomic Habits? I really enjoyed the discussions about how small changes, over time, and stacked habits can lead you to your ultimate goals, without overwhelming yourself.

Thanks all for your feedback! I totally understand what you mean, about taking on too much. Luckily, some of the things I already do (working out in AM for example, just want to be more consistent with it) and most of the other items are pretty small. For example, I've done my minute of planking during my workouts the last 2 mornings, so killing 2 birds with one stone.
Also, these are things that I want to do consistently, but if I miss days here and there, that's okay! I think this will work because I'm aiming to do all the things, but also will give myself grace if I don't get to bed on time or snooze more than once. It will be fun to see if I improve over time on doing things more consistently. A big one that I've not done at all is stretching/yoga, but truly that should be one of the easiest, since I can do that while watching TV or something, so need to find my routine on that one.

As for what you guys can do, I love the idea of sharing my tracker with you. Maybe I will send a pic of it each week or every other? See attached for today's update! And then I also love ideas on how to incorporate stuff if I'm struggling with it, or other good habits I could add over time as these become automatic.
Also, just holding me accountable will be huge. If I haven't shared my tracker in awhile, give me a hard time. I've been telling a lot of people about my goals, so hoping that accountability will also help.

Nat, I don't count volleyball or football because they are social, and therefore I don't consider it a workout. Weird I know, especially since they can be pretty intense. I still try to do something mornings that I have these activities, and then when I get in a vball or football game, it's just icing on the fitness cake
As for the alcohol, I agree about it potentially being too flexible, though I haven't been drinking that much lately and think I've already made a good habit of cutting back, so I think this will actually be easier than it seems. At least I hope. As I track it, if I feel I'm having too many issues, I will adjust and become more strict. I have other friends who are sober curious so spending more time with them will help I've also made some people sober curious in talking to them about my goals lol, so maybe I will start a trend!

Happy to hear more thoughts! I look at my tracker a few times a day so I think as long as I keep doing that, it will keep me focused.

(Tracker Update_091223.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tracker Update_091223.jpg (2908KB - 5 downloads)

2023-09-12 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls)

We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.
2023-09-12 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Happy to hear more thoughts! I look at my tracker a few times a day so I think as long as I keep doing that, it will keep me focused.

For your volleyball/football not counting as workouts, I get where you're coming from. But your body doesn't. Your body sees the work, running/jumping/elevated heart rate etc. and responds accordingly.

I think you need to account for that somehow. Otherwise you could risk overtraining/injuring yourself stacking multiple workouts a day on top of your sports. I'm not saying don't do them, you absolutely should. More something like if you're playing volleyball, that's your high intensity stuff for the day everything else should be easy. You can't just ignore it from a training perspective.

I like your tracker. The way my brain works I'm a big fan of numbers and watching them add up can be really satisfying and in time could become a self fulfilling thing that you keep it up to keep a streak going. I would do it on an excel/google sheets spreadsheet though. Got to get those colours and some conditional formatting into it
2023-09-12 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I took yesterday off after my race on Sunday. Of course, me being me, I spent five hours doing yard work and cleaning the house on my off day. Nothing like hauling four tons of brush to make your training days seem light!

This morning I got up early to get in a 1:04 tempo interval run before heading to work. Later this afternoon I'll do a 30' easy spin at the gym before my strength training session with my trainer.

Fitting in around friends and family is the 5th discipline in triathlons (after S/B/R and Nutrition) It's a constant balancing act.

I'd say get up early and get something done before your friend gets up. But also don't stress if it doesn't match your training schedule. If you have time for an hour ride, rather than 90 minutes then that's fine. If you have a really good night and need to sleep it off that's not as good, but still ok. Although when I was yacht racing (a sport with a big drinking culture) we had a policy of 'play up, but front up' i.e. go out and party all you want, but you still have to show up the next day and preform, whatever state you're in.

In the long run 1 or 2 sessions make no difference come race day, especially with your consistent workload. You also did race last weekend so a bit of a quiet one isn't unreasonable anyway.
2023-09-13 12:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Fitting in around friends and family is the 5th discipline in triathlons (after S/B/R and Nutrition) It's a constant balancing act.

I’d put transitions before nutrition, and of course, do not forget buying stuff!

So we have SBRTNBF

2023-09-13 12:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls)

We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.

I had a look online but I don’t get it. There was 8 teams in ”post season”, got that.
But why are the Warriors and the Storm in the semi final after losing? Why do the Knights and the Roosters (who won) have to play another game before the preliminary final but the Panthers and Bronco are already there? And what is a preliminary final anyway?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-09-13 1:45 AM

(IMG_0062.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0062.jpg (626KB - 4 downloads)

2023-09-13 4:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I like your tracker. The way my brain works I'm a big fan of numbers and watching them add up can be really satisfying and in time could become a self fulfilling thing that you keep it up to keep a streak going. I would do it on an excel/google sheets spreadsheet though. Got to get those colours and some conditional formatting into it

Me too, I think I am going to do this too to help track the days where I am over/under my calories goal, number of drinks, strength training and mobility training

2023-09-13 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  We're back from a long weekend in Williamsburg VA (for those of you not in the states, it's a big historic area plus a major amusement park).  Only one day of training down here (a long-ish run) but lots of walking and getting my heart rate up riding roller coasters. 

@Nicole:  I like your plan - as others have said maybe a little too prescriptive but if that ultra-organization is what drives you then have at it.  I like the book.  Also +1 on what others have said about your volleyball and football games/matches.  I know you play doubles which is no joke, and all the sprinting you're doing in football puts a lot of stress on the body, even if it's just for fun; try tracking your HR during those sessions with a watch (though I couldn't wear a watch playing volleyball as it would drive me crazy) - it would be interesting to track the training stress

@Gretchen:  we're all addicted to exercise to some degree, but at least it's healthy, right?  I've seen people who are negatively addicted to exercise and it ain't you

@Nathalie:  how are you enjoying your post-racing period?  Bouncing off the walls yet?  And I like your acronyms...there is definitely a whole lot more to triathlon than SBR for sure and I have some gear spending coming up in November when we have our cyber Monday deals here

@Andrew:  we have a new machine in town - very nice suffering (mentally, at least) through 2 1/2 hours on the trainer; that's like my upper upper upper limit

Back at it today with 2200 in the pool and some strength training this morning, then some sweet spot work on the bike and a short run at lunch.

2023-09-13 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice work Andrew (other than 0 swims) How are our Warriors doing in the playoffs? Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls) We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.
I had a look online but I don’t get it. There was 8 teams in ”post season”, got that. But why are the Warriors and the Storm in the semi final after losing? Why do the Knights and the Roosters (who won) have to play another game before the preliminary final but the Panthers and Bronco are already there? And what is a preliminary final anyway?

Maybe double-elimination?

2023-09-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, all.  We're back from a long weekend in Williamsburg VA (for those of you not in the states, it's a big historic area plus a major amusement park).  Only one day of training down here (a long-ish run) but lots of walking and getting my heart rate up riding roller coasters. 

yes, that counts, just like watching hockey

@Nathalie: how are you enjoying your post-racing period? Bouncing off the walls yet?

Enjoying it very much, actually, this low intensity stuff is really nice. Slow brwim on Saturday (25kk/3k/400m), slow run on Sunday (10k), slow ride to work and back on Monday (15k x2), rest yesterday. This ends today though, short run intervals (90 secs) with the club.

Then I'll go back to slow for another week or so.

We're doing a 3k test on Sunday, like we did in the spring. I did it in 15:21 minutes back then. I know I can do better now as I have run a 3k under 15 minutes during a super sprint tri (and a 4k under 20 minutes). Question is, how much better??

2023-09-13 10:32 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!
Your feedback is so thoughtful and helpful. I really appreciate it.

I thought about making my tracker in excel, but I am on this dang computer so much, but I avoid computers on the weekend and hate being on my phone more than I need to be. And carrying a book around is a regular reminder to glance at it and make any updates. But totally get wanting to do it online! If you guys end up doing one also, please share! I will likely get more creative with mine as time goes on, but figured I would start simple.

Thanks for your feedback on my sports too! Since I don't train for anything too long, I feel like I always have room for vball and football. Mostly I try to listen to my body. If I have done a lot and know I have vball or football, I would likely sleep in or take it easy that morning. But I feel like my training is rarely so intense that my body can't handle an hour or two of vball or football. But I will definitely keep that in mind while I'm ramping up training to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

My cleaning lady is coming today and I'm getting my car detailed tomorrow, so looking forward to all my spaces being immaculately clean!

2023-09-13 10:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a 30 min PZ ride and 10 minutes of core today!
2023-09-13 4:27 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice work Andrew (other than 0 swims) How are our Warriors doing in the playoffs? Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls) We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.
I had a look online but I don’t get it. There was 8 teams in ”post season”, got that. But why are the Warriors and the Storm in the semi final after losing? Why do the Knights and the Roosters (who won) have to play another game before the preliminary final but the Panthers and Bronco are already there? And what is a preliminary final anyway?

Ok, so the way the playoffs work

It's a 17 team competition, the top 8 make the playoffs, week 1 the top 4 play each other (1v4, 2v3) and the bottom 4 play each other (5v8, 6v7)

The winners of the top 4 games (panthers and broncos) get a week off and go straight through to the 'preliminary final' (would be called semi final in most sports, but preliminary final sounds more impressive). The losers (warriors and storm) get a 2nd chance and go to the 'elimination final' (which in your screenshot google is calling a semi final, just to be confusing)- That's the reward for finishing in the top 4, rather than 5-8, you're guaranteed to still be alive in week 2 of the finals.

The winners of 5v8 and 6v7 (knights and roosters) go to the 'elimination final' the losers are out.

Winners of the elimination finals go to the 'preliminary final' losers out

Winners of the preliminary finals go to the 'grand final'

The official reason for this finals structure rather than a straight knockout system is to reward the top 4 teams, the cynic in me says it's so the NRL get to sell an extra weeks worth of TV rights and ticket sales.
2023-09-13 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Monday rest day, Tuesday evening spin on zwift. Wednesday, 1,000m swim at lunch time followed by a 35 minute easy jog in the evening.

Ticking off the rest week workouts.

@Mike, swim, strength, bike and brick run i 1 day? Safe to say you're back in the groove of things.

@Nathalie, it will be interesting to see how your fitness test 3k goes. No doubt there'll be a big improvement, sub 14?

@Nicole, Enjoy the clean and tidy house. It's a good way to start your year of self improvement. Good job with your peloton ride
2023-09-13 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ok, so the way the playoffs work It's a 17 team competition, the top 8 make the playoffs, week 1 the top 4 play each other (1v4, 2v3) and the bottom 4 play each other (5v8, 6v7) The winners of the top 4 games (panthers and broncos) get a week off and go straight through to the 'preliminary final' (would be called semi final in most sports, but preliminary final sounds more impressive). The losers (warriors and storm) get a 2nd chance and go to the 'elimination final' (which in your screenshot google is calling a semi final, just to be confusing)- That's the reward for finishing in the top 4, rather than 5-8, you're guaranteed to still be alive in week 2 of the finals. The winners of 5v8 and 6v7 (knights and roosters) go to the 'elimination final' the losers are out. Winners of the elimination finals go to the 'preliminary final' losers out Winners of the preliminary finals go to the 'grand final' The official reason for this finals structure rather than a straight knockout system is to reward the top 4 teams, the cynic in me says it's so the NRL get to sell an extra weeks worth of TV rights and ticket sales.

Ahh...so a seeded double-elimination tournament (top 4 have to lose twice to be done, bottom 4 once).  I've played in a couple of volleyball tournaments set up that way.

The NBA in the U.S. does something at a smaller scale to create a "play-in" tournament where the 7-8 seeds play each other, winner goes to main tournament, and loser plays the winner of the 9-10, winner goes through.

I kinda like rewarding excellence in the regular season and though your cynical instinct may be spot on it does make for some exciting sport.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland