Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-09-14 4:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice work Andrew (other than 0 swims) How are our Warriors doing in the playoffs? Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls) We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.
I had a look online but I don’t get it. There was 8 teams in ”post season”, got that. But why are the Warriors and the Storm in the semi final after losing? Why do the Knights and the Roosters (who won) have to play another game before the preliminary final but the Panthers and Bronco are already there? And what is a preliminary final anyway?

Maybe double-elimination?

Ok, so the way the playoffs work

It's a 17 team competition, the top 8 make the playoffs, week 1 the top 4 play each other (1v4, 2v3) and the bottom 4 play each other (5v8, 6v7)

The winners of the top 4 games (panthers and broncos) get a week off and go straight through to the 'preliminary final' (would be called semi final in most sports, but preliminary final sounds more impressive). The losers (warriors and storm) get a 2nd chance and go to the 'elimination final' (which in your screenshot google is calling a semi final, just to be confusing)- That's the reward for finishing in the top 4, rather than 5-8, you're guaranteed to still be alive in week 2 of the finals.

The winners of 5v8 and 6v7 (knights and roosters) go to the 'elimination final' the losers are out.

Winners of the elimination finals go to the 'preliminary final' losers out

Winners of the preliminary finals go to the 'grand final'

The official reason for this finals structure rather than a straight knockout system is to reward the top 4 teams, the cynic in me says it's so the NRL get to sell an extra weeks worth of TV rights and ticket sales.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to give the top 4 teams a second chance should they need it or a week’s rest. And of course more games to watch is never wrong!

2023-09-14 4:13 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 30 min PZ ride and 10 minutes of core today!

Yeah!

I’ll share mine when I get round to starting one.
2023-09-14 4:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Monday rest day, Tuesday evening spin on zwift. Wednesday, 1,000m swim at lunch time followed by a 35 minute easy jog in the evening.

Ticking off the rest week workouts.

@Nathalie, it will be interesting to see how your fitness test 3k goes. No doubt there'll be a big improvement, sub 14?

Nice consistency !

Sub 14 seems a bit out of reach but around 14:15-14:30 sounds doable.

There will be an option to run for 12 minutes and see how far you get (the original ”Cooper test”) but I think I will stick to the 3k to compare with last time.

Our coach said last night, after interval training, see you Sunday Nat, and then to the others, she will run it in 12 minutes (meaning the 3k)

I replied I would definitely run the 12 minutes in 12 minutes but I'm doing the 3k

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-09-14 5:42 AM
2023-09-14 8:15 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice work Andrew (other than 0 swims) How are our Warriors doing in the playoffs? Hockey season starts this Thursday. yeah!!! First home game on Saturday, double yeah!! Looking to be the first team in 10 years to win 2 years in a row. Here we go!
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly we got absolutely hammered in the first week.The team we played were the No1 seed, and 2 time defending champs. Comfortably the best in the competition over the last 3-4 years (think 96-98 chicago bulls) We're into a sudden death match Saturday, the team we are playing is on a 10 game win streak, but we did beat them earlier in the year and are at home, so I'd put the Warriors as slight favourites, but not a sure thing.
I had a look online but I don’t get it. There was 8 teams in ”post season”, got that. But why are the Warriors and the Storm in the semi final after losing? Why do the Knights and the Roosters (who won) have to play another game before the preliminary final but the Panthers and Bronco are already there? And what is a preliminary final anyway?

Maybe double-elimination?

Ok, so the way the playoffs work

It's a 17 team competition, the top 8 make the playoffs, week 1 the top 4 play each other (1v4, 2v3) and the bottom 4 play each other (5v8, 6v7)

The winners of the top 4 games (panthers and broncos) get a week off and go straight through to the 'preliminary final' (would be called semi final in most sports, but preliminary final sounds more impressive). The losers (warriors and storm) get a 2nd chance and go to the 'elimination final' (which in your screenshot google is calling a semi final, just to be confusing)- That's the reward for finishing in the top 4, rather than 5-8, you're guaranteed to still be alive in week 2 of the finals.

The winners of 5v8 and 6v7 (knights and roosters) go to the 'elimination final' the losers are out.

Winners of the elimination finals go to the 'preliminary final' losers out

Winners of the preliminary finals go to the 'grand final'

The official reason for this finals structure rather than a straight knockout system is to reward the top 4 teams, the cynic in me says it's so the NRL get to sell an extra weeks worth of TV rights and ticket sales.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to give the top 4 teams a second chance should they need it or a week’s rest. And of course more games to watch is never wrong!

Sounds complicated but also makes total sense!
2023-09-14 8:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Monday rest day, Tuesday evening spin on zwift. Wednesday, 1,000m swim at lunch time followed by a 35 minute easy jog in the evening.

Ticking off the rest week workouts.

@Nathalie, it will be interesting to see how your fitness test 3k goes. No doubt there'll be a big improvement, sub 14?

Nice consistency !

Sub 14 seems a bit out of reach but around 14:15-14:30 sounds doable.

There will be an option to run for 12 minutes and see how far you get (the original ”Cooper test”) but I think I will stick to the 3k to compare with last time.

Our coach said last night, after interval training, see you Sunday Nat, and then to the others, she will run it in 12 minutes (meaning the 3k)

I replied I would definitely run the 12 minutes in 12 minutes but I'm doing the 3k

I second the consistency, Andrew. Sounds like a solid rest week!

Nat, you'll crush it! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
2023-09-14 8:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a 20 minute leg workout this morning followed by 5 minutes of core.

Had a few drinks at trivia on Tuesday. Last night I hung out with some coworkers for a little after work and let them know I wasn't drinking b/c of my plan and they were super supportive. It's nice finding people that really get you.

2023-09-14 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Monday rest day, Tuesday evening spin on zwift. Wednesday, 1,000m swim at lunch time followed by a 35 minute easy jog in the evening. Ticking off the rest week workouts. @Nathalie, it will be interesting to see how your fitness test 3k goes. No doubt there'll be a big improvement, sub 14?
Nice consistency ! Sub 14 seems a bit out of reach but around 14:15-14:30 sounds doable. There will be an option to run for 12 minutes and see how far you get (the original ”Cooper test&rdquo but I think I will stick to the 3k to compare with last time. Our coach said last night, after interval training, see you Sunday Nat, and then to the others, she will run it in 12 minutes (meaning the 3k) I replied I would definitely run the 12 minutes in 12 minutes but I'm doing the 3k

My guess will be 14:10.  Run it like you're doing the 12 minutes then just go full-on Pain Cave, which we know you've conquered this year in tri races.  Go Nat!!

2023-09-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning in the gym for me...45+ minutes on the treadmill including WU and CD, main set was a little over 5K with two 30" sprints and a 4' interval at my 5K race pace.  Felt good throughout.  Then legs day and a 1000 swim with the 800 in the middle at sprint race pace.  Also felt good. 

2023-09-14 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
60 minute zwift ride last night, with 4x5' in sweet spot. Pretty much the whole ride on the aero bars too, which I'm pretty pleased about with the higher effort stuff.
2023-09-14 5:54 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2400yds in the pool this morning. Then some work stuff and a few hours of cutting brush before my trainer session (upper body). Finished the day off with more brush cutting. Brought a new chainsaw (battery op) today. It is great that it starts with a push button and cuts well, but the battery only lasts about 25’. Not cool. I need much more cutting time than that!! Of course, 20’ of cutting is at least an hour of cleaning up, so maybe it doesn’t need more charge! Darn thing died when I was halfway through felling my last tree, which sucks! Now I have to wait until the morning to finish up (and hope it doesn’t fall on its own tonight!).
2023-09-14 7:18 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2400yds in the pool this morning. Then some work stuff and a few hours of cutting brush before my trainer session (upper body). Finished the day off with more brush cutting. Brought a new chainsaw (battery op) today. It is great that it starts with a push button and cuts well, but the battery only lasts about 25’. Not cool. I need much more cutting time than that!! Of course, 20’ of cutting is at least an hour of cleaning up, so maybe it doesn’t need more charge! Darn thing died when I was halfway through felling my last tree, which sucks! Now I have to wait until the morning to finish up (and hope it doesn’t fall on its own tonight!).

Battery-powered stuff is fantastic...until it isn't, right?  Buy extra batteries - we have like six for our lawn stuff and our yard is a joke.

I will say, though, that "my chain saw died when I was halfway through felling my last tree" are words that never have come out of my mouth.  

2023-09-14 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning in the gym for me...45+ minutes on the treadmill including WU and CD, main set was a little over 5K with two 30" sprints and a 4' interval at my 5K race pace.  Felt good throughout.  Then legs day and a 1000 swim with the 800 in the middle at sprint race pace.  Also felt good. 

Edited to add:  Well after my 90+ minute workout in the morning I chopped down four trees with an dull axe, grinded them into mulch with a chisel, washed all of the neighbors cars with the local creek water, and built a small addition on the back of the house.

Gauntlet thrown down, Gretchen. 

2023-09-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5286829

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike—you made me snort beer out my nose with that edit. :D
2023-09-14 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I chopped down four trees with an dull axe, grinded them into mulch with a chisel, washed all of the neighbors cars with the local creek water, and built a small addition on the back of the house.

Axe? Luxury

This morning before work I had to cut down an old redwood with a nail file, and trim it into fireplace sized logs.

But kids these days, they wouldn't believe you.
2023-09-15 12:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Haha, you guys crack me up

2023-09-15 4:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Did a 20 minute leg workout this morning followed by 5 minutes of core.

Had a few drinks at trivia on Tuesday. Last night I hung out with some coworkers for a little after work and let them know I wasn't drinking b/c of my plan and they were super supportive. It's nice finding people that really get you.

good to hear you have supportive people around you.

2023-09-15 4:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

nice work!
2023-09-15 4:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by bulfrog Monday rest day, Tuesday evening spin on zwift. Wednesday, 1,000m swim at lunch time followed by a 35 minute easy jog in the evening. Ticking off the rest week workouts. @Nathalie, it will be interesting to see how your fitness test 3k goes. No doubt there'll be a big improvement, sub 14?
Nice consistency ! Sub 14 seems a bit out of reach but around 14:15-14:30 sounds doable. There will be an option to run for 12 minutes and see how far you get (the original ”Cooper test”) but I think I will stick to the 3k to compare with last time. Our coach said last night, after interval training, see you Sunday Nat, and then to the others, she will run it in 12 minutes (meaning the 3k) I replied I would definitely run the 12 minutes in 12 minutes but I'm doing the 3k

My guess will be 14:10.  Run it like you're doing the 12 minutes then just go full-on Pain Cave, which we know you've conquered this year in tri races.  Go Nat!!

sounds like a plan... what is 3k without any swimming or running before?. Easy!
2023-09-15 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 I chopped down four trees with an dull axe, grinded them into mulch with a chisel, washed all of the neighbors cars with the local creek water, and built a small addition on the back of the house.

Axe? Luxury This morning before work I had to cut down an old redwood with a nail file, and trim it into fireplace sized logs. But kids these days, they wouldn't believe you.

Ahhhh...you were lucky.  We used to do triathlons swimming across Lake Michigan in winter with no wetsuits, ride our unicycles barefoot with no pedals, and then climb Mount Everest in a blizzard.  IF we were lucky.

OK - I think I've beaten this joke into the ground, but that Monty Python skit never disappoints.

2023-09-15 8:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Morning all! Or I guess good afternoon/evening to some!

I stretched last night and did yoga this morning! This is exciting because it's the first time I've done it since I started my plan, and yesterday was the first day I accomplished everything on my tracker. I also adding laying out my workout clothes the night before to my list, as that helps me get ready faster (my workout clothes are in a dresser in my spare room).

I woke up this morning planning to cycle and my legs were SO SORE from yesterdays strength workout, so chose core and yoga instead. I will cycle tomorrow, and possibly do a fully body strength workout and I have my first football game of the season!
2023-09-15 8:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I stretched last night and did yoga this morning! This is exciting because it's the first time I've done it since I started my plan, and yesterday was the first day I accomplished everything on my tracker. I also adding laying out my workout clothes the night before to my list, as that helps me get ready faster (my workout clothes are in a dresser in my spare room).

I woke up this morning planning to cycle and my legs were SO SORE from yesterdays strength workout, so chose core and yoga instead. I will cycle tomorrow, and possibly do a fully body strength workout and I have my first football game of the season!

Great job!

2023-09-15 8:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So...I woke up at 4am and then was out the door to run at 4:30, but my left ankle was barking up a storm, so I decided it would be a wiser idea to rest it today. Back home just before 5...with nothing to do until sunup! By 6:50 I had done dishes, laundry, put dinner in the slow cooker, made an apple crisp, and annoyed my wife. Thankfully, the sun was then up and I could continue the saga of brush cutting. I got to fell that last tree this morning, laying it down exactly where I wanted it to go--right between two lines of trees, parallel to my fence (and without damaging anything!). Unfortunately, the chainsaw died before I could finish cutting the trunk into manageable chunks. I got the canopy all cut up with the chainsaw and then loppers, but there is still about 20' of main trunk (~12" in diameter) laying on my front lawn. That chainsaw is going back to the store. The specs say the battery should last for two hours of cut time. I have now cycled it three times and each time it only lasts about 20 min. This last time, I managed to get in less than 10 cuts before it died. The specs say it should do 175 per charge. Either I got a bad battery (always possible) or the specs are grossly incorrect.

A pic of my tree--for reference, it is 10' (~3m) between each fence post.
2023-09-15 8:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So...I woke up at 4am and then was out the door to run at 4:30, but my left ankle was barking up a storm, so I decided it would be a wiser idea to rest it today. Back home just before 5...with nothing to do until sunup! By 6:50 I had done dishes, laundry, put dinner in the slow cooker, made an apple crisp, and annoyed my wife. Thankfully, the sun was then up and I could continue the saga of brush cutting. I got to fell that last tree this morning, laying it down exactly where I wanted it to go--right between two lines of trees, parallel to my fence (and without damaging anything!). Unfortunately, the chainsaw died before I could finish cutting the trunk into manageable chunks. I got the canopy all cut up with the chainsaw and then loppers, but there is still about 20' of main trunk (~12" in diameter) laying on my front lawn. That chainsaw is going back to the store. The specs say the battery should last for two hours of cut time. I have now cycled it three times and each time it only lasts about 20 min. This last time, I managed to get in less than 10 cuts before it died. The specs say it should do 175 per charge. Either I got a bad battery (always possible) or the specs are grossly incorrect.

2023-09-15 10:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Awesome morning! Sorry that your ankle wasn't feeling good, but way to turn it into a super productive start to the day.
Sorry to hear about that chainsaw, that is definitely extremely frustrating.
2023-09-16 5:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yes! You are starting to roll now, just keep rolling!

Very excited today, the first home game of the season for my Lakers. Of course I will be there! But first, a 50k leisurely ride with a 4 or 5 x 5k in the upper zones for the fun of it. Not training for any tris until next year so I can relax a bit.

I was about to ask about the Warriors game but I checked it myself and YES! We won! Was it an exciting game Andrew?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland