Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-13 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1391844

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Gat's Mentor Group - Closed
gatjr33 - 2008-05-09 3:34 PM

RD, MM is giving great advice here.  It does not sound like you want to make this a one and done.  Rushing and most likely suffering might not make this all that enjoyable (don't ask me how I know).  If you are determined to do this first one in 4 weeks, have at it, but then take some time to step back to train and do a few more races this year.  Stepping up to an oly by the end of the year is great advice, as is the half mary. 

Yes,  you are right she is and it is much appreciated. I am in for the long haul on this one though. I am set on getting a HIM next year I have to bites at doing one next year and then I want to try for an im the year after. In the long term (like everyone else) I want to make it to Kona to race so I guess a few years of tri-ing will be needed and and O80 qualification perhaps.

I will look at an oly to I hadn't considered that. Thanks people.

2008-05-13 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1399502

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
RD, you are very, very ambitious....I like that.  Seriously, I definitely would take the crawl, walk run route here.  Start by getting in some solid workouts so that you can finish the race hopefully with a smile.  It can hurt, that is not the issue, but you want to make the experience something that brings you back again and again to the sport.  Doing a few more sprints and learning from your experiences while getting in better shape is a solid approach.  Hitting a Oly if you feel that you progress that much is fine, as is a half mary later in the year.  This would be a good steady safe approach towards building your base and increasing your knowledge about tris and racing.  Having said this, I am not always real good at following my advice.  For example, I had a poor running base and decided that I was going to do a marathon after two months of light training, mostly short runs.  That was rather painful.  I then followed that up with a sprint tris having never done one before.  See my initial post for this story.  I was not last, but I was not right behind the winner either.  Finally, two days after finishing my first sprint, I decided that I wanted to do an IM.  I thought about it for a couple more days, did some research and then signed up for a 70.3 and IMUSA with about 9 months to prepare with no wetsuit and no road bike.  I had not much swam or rode in years, but I was going to do an IM.  If you want to do it badly enough, it can be done.  If I can do it, anybody can.  Keep at it and have some fun along the way.
2008-05-14 5:17 AM
in reply to: #1400355

User image

Expert
Be careful listening to him, he is the exception to the rule!!! Check his logs. All of a sudden, he will break of a run or ride that is 80% longer than anything he has done all year!! He is freak I say!!!
2008-05-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1401250

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

gator22 - 2008-05-14 5:17 AM Be careful listening to him, he is the exception to the rule!!! Check his logs. All of a sudden, he will break of a run or ride that is 80% longer than anything he has done all year!! He is freak I say!!!

Hey, hey, hey....you are going to let all of my secrets out of the bag and then nobody will listen to me.  Hope all is going well.  I am looking forward to Tupper Lake!!

2008-05-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1401387

User image

Expert
My training is going superb. As long as I don't have to swim. or run. ......
2008-05-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1401918

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

gator22 - 2008-05-14 11:05 AM My training is going superb. As long as I don't have to swim. or run. ......

You are going to do just fine at TL.  You will have no problem with the swim and after your century this weekend, you will be ready for the bike.  As for the run, you will make it happen.  No worries.  Besides, you still have a few weeks to prepare. 

2008-05-14 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1370022

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hey all,
I was going to post to ask if some of y'all wanted a kick in the on days when you were putting off workouts.
Well that was before the last two days when I started to feel the effects of missing a few days of some meds and then TTOM (that time of month). Add in that everything is blooming here and my head is spinning and I'm just a wash out.
Haven't worked out in two days, skipped my swim class last night. I'm trying not to make too much of it, but I know that months of inactivity can start with a few days off...

I'm keeping my food healthy and under 1700 cals. I would like to get them lower (esp. if I'm not working out that day) but I've declared 1200 cal. diets only to end the day with a 6 oz. bag of chips or a trip to the drivethru!

Plan tomorrow is to get in an hour of training - not sure what the details will be yet. I'm giving myself some flexibility to see how I'm feeling and what the weather is.

There are some of you we haven't heard from in too long.
How are you all doing?

MM

2008-05-14 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
Elkhorn

Hello,

Musclemomma I'm with you. I travelled the last two days and planned to do my swiim this AM, but the hotel room was so nice I took advantage of the time! So today is an off day.

The great news we have SUN and 70+ degree weather AND the wind isn't 30mph! YIPEEE! Now if I could just blow off work for some rides during the day.

My biggest trouble right now is getting out on the bike. A little challenge with kids, work...etc

Who does trainer rides? I love spinervals and wish I could do most of my training using spinervals. 

ctnord

2008-05-14 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

I LOVE days off!  I just wish that I didn't have to have those unable to train days.  Today was just that.  I wanted to swim, but work was so busy that I couldn't.  Also I'm starting my taper, which means I'm beginning to feel like I'm not doing enough training.  I don't like tapering.  It makes  me feel edgy.  Today, because I couldn't swim I thought about going running or doing some strength training.  I thought better of it because I'm supposed to be recovering and healing up my body for the race. 

Although...a couple miles of running couldn't hurt, right?

2008-05-14 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1403310

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
ctnord - 2008-05-14 3:04 PM

My biggest trouble right now is getting out on the bike. A little challenge with kids, work...etc

Who does trainer rides? I love spinervals and wish I could do most of my training using spinervals. 

ctnord

Theresa-

I only have one spinerval right now, the uphill grind spinerval 7.0.  I use it for a prerun brick bike or when the weather's bad I do it 2-3 times in place of a long ride.  I only have a magnetic trainer right now though and I think I killed it w/ the spinerval stuff.  It still has resistance but sounds like bells ringing when it spins.  It's only a matter of time before it's completely dead.  I guess just need to bite the bullet and upgrade to something more durable.

2008-05-15 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1400355

User image

New user

gatjr33 - 2008-05-13 11:59 PM RD, you are very, very ambitious....I like that.  Start by getting in some solid workouts so that you can finish the race hopefully with a smile. 

Thanks.. I think. LOL I am planning to get bike work done to get some run conditioning and keep me off my feet (at this weight) as much as poss. Definatley just finishing uninjured is the goal so I am on course... so far in my limited fashion.

2008-05-15 8:05 AM

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
Today may be an off day for me. Thunderstorms are predicted for all day. If I am unable to run and swim I will probably get in about 30 minutes of strength training.
2008-05-15 8:19 AM

User image

Master
What does everyone have on tap for today?  I've had 5 days off - unwanted days off- so I'm planning about a 2 hour bike/run brick.  The weather, and tornadoes, have moved on for now, so I'm ready to take advantage. 
2008-05-15 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1403900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

carlacrews - 2008-05-15 8:19 AM What does everyone have on tap for today?  I've had 5 days off - unwanted days off- so I'm planning about a 2 hour bike/run brick.  The weather, and tornadoes, have moved on for now, so I'm ready to take advantage. 

45 minute swim... straight... hoping to be at 2500+ yds...

2008-05-15 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1403310

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

I do trainer rides throughout most of my base and building training periods.  It just so happens that up here in the Northeast, the bulk of these periods are in the dead of winter.  I use several of the spinerval DVDs on a regular basis.  Naturally, this time of year, I like to get outside, however, it is sometimes easier to just jump on the trainer for an hour or so.  I also hit a spin class a couple times a week if possible.  It helps to have different kinds of training to help keep things interesting.  I know a guy that does IM's and he does the bulk of the training on a trainer.  He only takes his bike off the trainer for longer rides.  He seems to do pretty well!!

2008-05-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1403283

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
MM, there are going to be times in your training where things get derailed.  This is okay.  You just need to regroup and get back at it.  Do not let three days turn into three weeks, and do not beat yourself up (my favorite trick) for missing a couple of days.

2008-05-15 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1403510

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Kinaiahi,

What is tapering?  People actually do this.  I thought it was just a theory that athletes pondered from time to time.  Seriously though, I find that I do not taper all that well, because I feel edgy as well.  This is normal.  Just believe in the taper and look at it as "free speed". 

2008-05-15 4:34 PM

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
Another bike question. Yesterday I had a miserable bike workout. The bike workout was about 45 minutes after a great swim workout. My arms were hurting the entire time on the bike. Not to mention the seat was almost unbearable. Anyone encounter these issues when you first got a road bike. I know it will take time to get used to. I just wanted to see your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,

Jana
2008-05-15 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Elkhorn

Jana - I would get fitted for your bike. You shouldn't have that much discomfort. When I first got my road bike I ended up having neck/shoulder spasms to the point I had to take 5 days off. Found out I wasn't suppose to ride on my downs the entire time. Now I have tri bars which I like.

In regards to today.....I swam 2600 meters today. I followed a swim workout to a T...I've never done this. Most of the time I always thought I couldn't make it. It felt great! My lesson learned...

Work the plan...it works!

Until today I had never swam over 1800 meters in a workout or for that matter EVER!

ctnord

2008-05-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1403928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
ball6135 - 2008-05-15 8:29 AM

carlacrews - 2008-05-15 8:19 AM What does everyone have on tap for today?  I've had 5 days off - unwanted days off- so I'm planning about a 2 hour bike/run brick.  The weather, and tornadoes, have moved on for now, so I'm ready to take advantage. 

45 minute swim... straight... hoping to be at 2500+ yds...

Believe it or not, I hit 2500 yds at 44:55.3!!!!   Great swim today (for me!) !

Edited by ball6135 2008-05-15 5:35 PM
2008-05-16 4:41 AM
in reply to: #1405481

User image

New user

jana0317 - 2008-05-16 12:34 AM Another bike question. Yesterday I had a miserable bike workout. The bike workout was about 45 minutes after a great swim workout. My arms were hurting the entire time on the bike. Not to mention the seat was almost unbearable. Anyone encounter these issues when you first got a road bike. I know it will take time to get used to. I just wanted to see your thoughts and opinions. Thanks, Jana

I had interesting bike comfort probs when I first got on a road bike. I'd back up the post that said get your bike professionally fitted. Also I found saddle butter was a wonderful thing. Might be worth a try to see. Took me 5 saddles to find one that was okay for me to. But that is all trial and error I'm afraid. Everyone has a different favorite.

Edited by Red Dragon 2008-05-16 4:42 AM

2008-05-16 4:44 AM

User image

New user

Well done in the pool folks. I am still drowning away at 400m but Im getting there. For now I will just drool at your posts... if thats okay with you guys. I won't drool in the pool honest!
2008-05-16 8:08 AM

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
I had a bad workout yesterday. I was scheduled to do a 3 mile run and 30 minute swim. It rained during the day but cleared up in the afternoon. I started my run at 8:30pm (my usual time, not quite as hot). I had to stop running after 2.5 miles. My stomach was cramping, my legs were sluggish. I was running at an easy pace but when I stopped at 2.5 I noticed I was dripping with sweat. When I got home I weighed 1lb less than I started. (I weighed right before the run.) My only guess is the humidity was very high. Today my chest hurts and I feel very tired like I am going to get sick. I am going to take today and Saturday off. Sunday I have an easy run of 5 miles. I hope I can at least run a bit on Sunday. I am just trying not to get sick.

What's everybody got planned for this weekend?
2008-05-16 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1406314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

jana0317 - 2008-05-16 8:08 AM I had a bad workout yesterday.....What's everybody got planned for this weekend?

Sorry to hear that your workout didn't go well... sounds like it it beyond the humidity issue? 

For me, this weekend is a light swim/run/bike tomorrow (today is my day off) and then Gear West Du on Sunday...

2008-05-16 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1406314

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Jana,

Sounds like you need to take a little time to rest.  Take the two days and then see how you feel on your run on Sunday.  It could have been the humidity or it could have been something else.  Some times it is tough to tell.  Get well!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gat's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18