BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-12-31 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1856410

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now
The best goggles I've ever tried that are leakproof are Barracuda...I have a small head and small face frame and they work wonders for me.

2008-12-31 9:51 PM

User image

Syracuse, NY

I have a really small face/head, too (I wear children's frames for my glasses). I have Jr Speedo Vanquishers because I wanted the corrective lenses. It doesn't look like Barracuda comes in corrective lenses. Do you know if they do? Maybe I'm on the wrong website... What model did you get?

2009-01-01 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
Happy New Year everyone!!!

I ate and drank too much last night as usual. The chocolate fondue was too tempting to pass up. I did make it out for a run this morning with the whole family. It was my first time running with a jogging stroller which added to the difficulty (and I only pushed it for 1 out of the 4 miles, )

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

2009-01-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1881166

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
bwoglom - 2009-01-01 1:15 PM

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I ate and drank too much last night as usual. The chocolate fondue was too tempting to pass up. I did make it out for a run this morning with the whole family. It was my first time running with a jogging stroller which added to the difficulty (and I only pushed it for 1 out of the 4 miles, )

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

Happy New Year to you, too! Mmmmm...chocolate fondue. I'm drooling!

I did OK last night - a little too much champagne...but otherwise OK. Today won't be a stellar day for eating (we graze as we watch football & hockey) - but I tried to buy healthy stuff to graze on. Portion control will be the big problem.

Congrats on getting the family out for the run! I always hated running with the jogger...'cause it's HARD!
2009-01-01 1:39 PM

User image

Syracuse, NY

Happy New Year!!

I, too, had a bit of a struggle with the spirits last night. My DH and I finished a bottle of Zinfandel for dinner - but, he only had one glass. Oops. I had a salad, but most of the mini-load of bread that came with dinner.

BUT, today I've redeemed myself by doing the Syracuse Track Club's Resolution Run. 5+ miles in single digits. I am SO proud of myself, lol.

I'm grabbing a quick lunch, then off to help DH with some projects he's working on in the basement. It's too cold to ride my mare, but I'm going to go visit her with some New Year's treats.

The water hydrant in the barn is frozen, so I've been hauling buckets of water from the house to the barn (a couple hundred feet in 6-8" of snow). I figure that's a bit of cross-training on top of the run! Cross your fingers for me that I get it thawed out soon?

Well, lunch is done. Gotta get busy.

Again, Happy New Year!!

margo

2009-01-01 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Happy New Year everyone!

I only had a couple of glasses of wine early in the evening, at a party hosted by a LUNA Chick, which was fun.  It helps that she only lives a couple of miles from here.  Then I came home to a houseful of kids, and we celebrated 'east coast new year's' at 9 PM with sparklers we saved from July 4.  Very fun!

Got up this morning and ran the Resolution Run 5K with my sister, and finished with a dip into Lake Washington.  It was VERY cold outside today...but after 5k trying to keep up with my gazelle sister, I was warm enough that the lake felt fine.  Of course, once we were done we decided we needed to jump in just once more!  We are crazy like that.  If you are on facebook there is a video of me doing just that.  Yikes!  My overall time including the first jump into the lake was approx. 29 minutes.  I'd probably had won the Athena division if I'd registered for it....I didn't see it on the sign up form.  Hmmm. The overall winner finished in under 17 minutes. Give me a break!!!

Spent the rest of day doing the following:  lattes at Starbucks, hot tub/pool/hot tub/pool over and over again with the kids (my sister has an indoor pool and hot tub), eating food and drinking wine.  Now I am extremely pooped.  Wondering about Saturday's run.  Maybe only 6.5 miles....??? 

Here's a photo from before the race, me an dmy sister (i'm in red).

2009-01-01 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Happy New Years Everyone!

Well guys and dolls, I hope the holidays have treated you well. From the looks of the posts perhaps a little too well for some, and that would be me included! I love New Years; not sure why we think it is such a fresh start, but regardless, that is the way it feels. 2008 was a craptastic year for me in regards to illness and training and in general, so here is to hoping that 2009 is going to blow it away in regards of ups and a lot less downs.

As for January goals, I have a few...
1) Get in the habit of my new eating lifestyle. There will be more about this in my log, but basically following Michael Pollan's 7 words 3 rules philosophy. I just got through reading "In Defense of Food", and it is going to be my new religion.
2) Go Peach! I did not join the official challenge, but it is my personal goal for this month.
3) Start figuring out a race schedule... holy crap!
4) Stay motivated!
5) Have fun!

Oh yea, I also joined a weight loss challenge at work. It runs from now until the end of March. Largest percentage of weight loss wins. It was a $20 buy in and the winner takes all. That outta help a bit with the motivation.

2009-01-02 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Morning, everyone!

I hope you all had a great New Year's and are all jazzed up and excited to train this spring.

Happy Friday!
2009-01-02 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Holey cow - we ended up on page 2! Great for the mentor program, bad for us...so let's bump!
2009-01-02 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Question - Do you have any race superstitions?

I always eat the same breakfast (2 cliff mojo bars, 2 diet Pepsi's) and I have a small statue that comes to all my races (and all my real life events - like the bar exam and the birth of my kids...shhhh don't tell my husband...he thought he was my good luck charm).

How about you?
2009-01-02 11:52 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I still have to read back a few pages but I wanted to throw out my goals that hopefully I can stick too.

1.  Most important.  Never smoke again!  Social smoker, which led to too much drinking, too many nights out, too much money spent.  So calm that right down.  Got my gum, lots of it infact and got my weekends planned for other things.

2. Lose 15lbs.  I need to lose about 25 altogether but 15 seems like a nice goal for now.

3.  Stick to training. Follow the plan!  Be good and smart about it this year.

4.  No excuses! Unless I'm dying.  

5. Find a masters swim team for '09!  Looking into that just now.  

6.  Learn to really, really enjoy running. See it as something fun rather than something I have to do!

7.  Try new things.   Looking for different kinds of sports this year, nothing too major but like more kayaking and hiking instead of the usual S,B,R!   

2009-01-03 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Good morning everyone!!!

We had a dinner with my team from work last night, that was good, but not ideal for weight loss. Thankfully I had some good workouts yesterday to offset some of it.

I also learned the hard way that my son is now too heavy to just bend over and pick up, as I tweaked my lower back doing so yesterday. It might mean today is a rest day, but we'll see.

My wife and I sat down yesterday and planned out our races for the year. She is super motivated as she missed all of last year because of the baby. Right now I have about a race a month, but I have my eye on adding a couple of more if things work out.

Have a good day!!
2009-01-03 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Great goals, Lynne! You can definitely kick smoking and those extra pounds...and I love the goals to try new & fun things.

2009 is going to be a great year!
2009-01-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1883961

User image

Champion
bwoglom - 2009-01-03 9:24 AM

Good morning everyone!!!

We had a dinner with my team from work last night, that was good, but not ideal for weight loss. Thankfully I had some good workouts yesterday to offset some of it.

I also learned the hard way that my son is now too heavy to just bend over and pick up, as I tweaked my lower back doing so yesterday. It might mean today is a rest day, but we'll see.

My wife and I sat down yesterday and planned out our races for the year. She is super motivated as she missed all of last year because of the baby. Right now I have about a race a month, but I have my eye on adding a couple of more if things work out.

Have a good day!!

That's so great that you and your wife both race - I hope both of you have an awesome year! I'm still trying to plan my schedule...but don't usually have to juggle weekends with hubby because he generally doesn't run. (He's thinking about doing a 10K with me this spring...but we should have childcare for that.)

Take care of your back!
2009-01-03 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1883985

User image

Regular
enders_shadow - 2009-01-03 8:43 AM

That's so great that you and your wife both race - I hope both of you have an awesome year! I'm still trying to plan my schedule...but don't usually have to juggle weekends with hubby because he generally doesn't run. (He's thinking about doing a 10K with me this spring...but we should have childcare for that.)

Take care of your back!

Well I am taking the day off, but it has been tough. It is currently 67 degrees and sunny outside and tomorrow is going to have a high of 29. (the weather here in the midwest is crazy)

2009-01-03 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
67 degrees?  Heat wave!!  I ran 10 miles in about 33 degrees this morning and got pretty warm.  Except my more 'padded' areas, which stayed cold and numb.    My half marathon was cancelled due to weather, and this worked better for me as I ran in my town and still have hours left in the day to bake for my son's birthday (tomorrow he's 6) and I have a big party to go to tonight so I'll be able to walk instead of hobble.  I wasn't sure I could actually do the 13, so this worked ok for me....

2009-01-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1884447

User image

Champion
Medusa_Ann - 2009-01-03 5:33 PM

67 degrees?  Heat wave!!  I ran 10 miles in about 33 degrees this morning and got pretty warm.  Except my more 'padded' areas, which stayed cold and numb.    My half marathon was cancelled due to weather, and this worked better for me as I ran in my town and still have hours left in the day to bake for my son's birthday (tomorrow he's 6) and I have a big party to go to tonight so I'll be able to walk instead of hobble.  I wasn't sure I could actually do the 13, so this worked ok for me....

Happy Birthday to your son - my youngest daughter is 4 tomorrow also!
2009-01-04 2:30 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

We're supposed to warm up to the 50's by the weekend! WOHOO!  It was very, very cold today! I was totally under dressed and I am suffering it now with shaking and the pain in my tummy is so bad, as is my lower back that I am thinking full blown UTI    I totally over did it....but I HAD to get out and ran. It was really a matter of totally enjoying myself then realizing "Oh , I still have to run back".  hehehehe.  I did almost 9 miles.  Farthest I've ran since November 30th!  URGH!

So I'd like some help planning out race events!  Oh and I started reading my marathon book I got for Christmas! Very interesting.  It's recommending that I actually run about 30 miles BEFORE the actual FULL marathon.  I have just pooped my pants.

Ooooh. and I obtained a nice indoor trainer from a lady on Craigslist!  It's a lemond, nothing too special but just what I was looking for.

How's everyone elses weekend going? 

2009-01-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1884938

User image

Expert

Oh Lynne I hope you are feeling better soon!  Ouch!

I just managed a short trainer ride yesterday, and am planning a treadmill run today (unless it warms up a lot- right now it is 6F).  We are going to go and look at another house, and then I'm working a moonlighting shift in the ED.I'm trying to relax a little this weekend, because next weekend I'm driving my younger son to NH for a fencing tournament!

2009-01-04 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fencing tourney? Cool! How far of a drive is it?  I have no idea when it comes to east coast geography!

Kristen, I hope your daughter had a great birthday. My son had a fun one, it turned out really great for everyone.  We even managed to finish taking down all the Christmas stuff after we got home while he played with new toys.  Gotta brag here on the cake I made....note, I am NOT a baker type so this is a big deal for me.  Generally I just buy cakes decorated from the grocery store.

2009-01-04 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1885720

User image

Regular
Great cake!!! I am jealous!!!

2009-01-04 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Me too! That is a fantastic cake. I am also not a baker, but one of the grocery stores in town makes the best cakes...so that's what my daughter had. (I had a little piece...it was nummy!)

Yours is so creative! I love it! (I should try to do something like that for my girls...well, not exactly like that - but something princessy.)

2009-01-04 10:03 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I hope you're keeping me a piece of that Mz Leslie!  I just got to test out my Yaktrax I got for Xmas! WOOHOO!  Would have been a great run if my pants didn't keep falling down.   I suppose it's a good thing as when I 1st bought them they were too tight.  Should have worn the ones with the tie.    The snow is falling here and it's pretty heavy!  Was so nice out but I got totally soaked..ahhh I love it really.
2009-01-04 10:58 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Thought I would come in and check on Ms. Enders.  She sometimes gets carried away with herself after a few diet sodas.  Kris,  If you can ever use any intelligent help let me know (I am sure I can find someone).
2009-01-05 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1886055

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2009-01-04 11:03 PM

I hope you're keeping me a piece of that Mz Leslie!  I just got to test out my Yaktrax I got for Xmas! WOOHOO!  Would have been a great run if my pants didn't keep falling down.   I suppose it's a good thing as when I 1st bought them they were too tight.  Should have worn the ones with the tie.    The snow is falling here and it's pretty heavy!  Was so nice out but I got totally soaked..ahhh I love it really.

Congrats on the pants falling down. (Yeah, that sounds weird...)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 16