of 29

2009-01-07 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1891479

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
TriRSquared - 2009-01-07 8:17 AM

Any info on good diets (by diet I mean choices of food, not weight loss) would be appreciated. I find myself getting into ruts where I eat the same 5 or 6 things over and over.  Then your body goes into rejection mode and craves the bad stuff.  

Ugh, my response just got eaten!!  To make a long story short...variety is the spice of life andthe  fresher the better with fruits and vegetables.  We need a variety of vitamins and minerals in different quantities so if you have a staple of 5 or 6 meals, try to find another 5 or 6 to integrate (I know in our house it's often eggs for breakfast, veggie burger for lunch and pasta for dinner...but we rotate what kind of veggies we throw in the omelets, what toppings go on the burger, what accompanies the pasta).  

2009-01-07 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Master
Dunedin

Must be I'm typing too slow because I'm getting weird pop-ups!

Anywho, I think one eye opener for me has been how people in general drink their calories (outside of training).  So, be sure to read drink labels.  The rule of thumb for myself is I only use sports drinks if I'm training for over an hour.  

2009-01-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1893258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
kenj - 2009-01-07 5:51 PM
CraigT - 2009-01-07 1:36 PM

Getting back into the routine after the cruise.  Managed to average 21 mph for a 30 minute ride on the trainer last night.  First few times on the trainer I was more in the 18s.  Running tonight and off to the pool tomorrow. 

I do have a quick question for the group.  I bought my tri bike in September.  Its a Giant Trinity and is all stock so far.  I am thinking about upgrading the wheels as I know the stock wheels are very heavy, 2000 grams+.  I have been looking at the Neuvation wheels as they seem to be a good value.  Anyone have any input?  I am not looking to spend a ton, maybe $300 range.  Thanks

I did a quick google for Neuvation Wheel Review and came up with this link:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/neuvation-cycling/PRD_323658_2490crx.aspx

I don't know if it is the same model, but I am sure if it isn't you can do a search on it. I was curious to find out what they were all about.  It looks like they were mostly positive though!

Ken,

Thanks for the help.  I am actually looking at the R28 Aero4s, which is the model above the M28s.  They are about 1600 grams and they have some scratch and dents for right about $220.  I have found several online reviews and they seem to be a very good wheel.  I do agree about the weight thing, I weigh 230 lbs so a pound or two shouldn't matter much.  However, from what I have read and back from my college physics classes, the weight of items that rotate is significant due to rotational inertia.  I also think that a higher quality wheel is going to roll better.  I think I am going to pull the trigger on these wheels but I likely won't bother putting them on until I get the bike off the trainer in the spring.  Maybe then I will do a side by side comparision to see how much, if any, difference they make.  I am hoping to gain about 1 mph from my stock wheels. 

2009-01-07 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1893668

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

CraigT - 2009-01-07 1:36 PM

[snip...]However, from what I have read and back from my college physics classes, the weight of items that rotate is significant due to rotational inertia.  I also think that a higher quality wheel is going to roll better. 

OK, my $.02 worth....

Rotating mass is more important for acceleration than it is for constant velocity - very important for automobiles on a road track with lots of braking and acceleration, not so important for oval track racing where speed is more constant.  For climbing, the overall weight of the wheel is more important. 

The MOST important part of making a bicycle go fast on the flat is aerodynamic drag.  Aerodynamic drag accounts for about 80% of the effort put into flat road cycling, and the rider makes up about 80% of that drag.  The bike and wheels account for the rest.  A good wheel can reduce the bike's drag by about 5% - or about 1% of the overall drag.

So, if you're worried about a race with a lot of climbing and you've lost as much of your own weight as possible, purchased a lightweight frame, stripped off all but the most essential items, then go for the light wheel set. 

If you're basically on flat roads, get yourself in an aerodynamic position, concentrate on the rolling resistance of the wheels and tires, and THEN worry about the drag from the wheels.

http://accel95.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/0/02/72/10/Tests-Acheteur/base-de-donnees/aero_english.jpg

I'm going to say that anything less than a high dollar Zipp-type wheel set over a long distance won't make more than a few second's time difference for a rider like me.  I believe I lose more time by mis-managing my speed in the corners than I do by riding low-end wheels. 

That said...if you like 'em, buy 'em.  I'll own a set of Zipps one day, just 'cause.

[edit] When I read this after I posted it I thought it sounded a bit snooty.  I didn't mean for it to.  I'm just passing along the information I read on the subject when I was shopping wheels. [/edit]

Edited by snaproll 2009-01-07 9:00 PM
2009-01-07 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Re: Neuvation wheels. You might do a search over on www.bikejournal.com . I know some people over there are very pro-Neuvation, although it seems like some had trouble with the hubs. I've heard Neuvation has excellent customer service, but i have no personal experience with them.

Edited by y2kdad99 2009-01-07 10:11 PM
2009-01-08 7:39 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks to all for the encouragement in my journal and in the group. I'm dealing with injuries right now, and hope to get on plan in the next week or so. I've had trouble with knee pain, and now I seem to have developed plantar fasciitis. I'm working on stretching, etc., and will see a podiatrist next week to discuss orthotics. I can start swimming at least, and hope to be in the pool within the next few days.

Howard

2009-01-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1894308

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

y2kdad99 - 2009-01-08 8:39 AM Thanks to all for the encouragement in my journal and in the group. I'm dealing with injuries right now, and hope to get on plan in the next week or so. I've had trouble with knee pain, and now I seem to have developed plantar fasciitis. I'm working on stretching, etc., and will see a podiatrist next week to discuss orthotics. I can start swimming at least, and hope to be in the pool within the next few days. Howard

That is the smart approach!  And it gives you a good opportunity to focus on your swimming. 

You might also want to search the articles.  There are a few good articles on dealing with PF.

2009-01-08 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Weight Loss Plan: Well folks here goes. I've been on a plateau for a year at 225. Do well during day but tooo many snacks in evening/wknds. I hate counting calories, weighing stuff, tracking, meal planning.... best to just tell me here's what you're eating today, tomorrow, next week. I goggled around. Chris Carmichael has Meal Plans for Endurance Athletes: online calculates your resting metabolic rate (?accuracy), your job activity and exercise. With the final number (calorie expenditure) recommeds meal plans (6 meals/day (including snacks) with calorie count). Each meal is spelled out...they look healthy easy to do. Sooo, for price of 5 cups of Starbucks, I took plunge and purchased one. I started this week and although I have to "measure a half cup strawberries" or a tbl wheat germ, doesn't take long to put meals together. It also has a weekly shopping list. I'll keep you posted on my energy level and more importantly any lb losses. I'll post a weekly Monday weigh in my traning log. This makes me accountable to you.... "the end justifies all meals".

Excerpt from site.Preview from the web site. http://www.trainright.com/folders.asp?uid=1072

[The 9-week CTS Meal Plans are designed to meet your daily calorie demands so you have the energy and focus to be more productive at home, at work, and during your workouts. At the same time, the plans ensure you’re getting the right vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, as well as the balance of carbohydrate, protein and fat, necessary for optimal health and performance.
The CTS Meal Plans follow our proven method for achieving weight loss and sustaining your energy levels throughout the day by spreading food intake across six meals: breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. Each Plan includes a wide variety of meats, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy recommendations to keep your taste buds guessing and insure you take in all the nutrients your body needs on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Meals include a range of recipes including mouth-watering salads, sizzling fajitas, rich smoothies, tasty desserts, burritos and even sirloin steak.]

Edited by wakehr 2009-01-08 2:21 PM
2009-01-08 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Thanks for sharing that Wayne.  I'll be anxious to see the results!!!!
2009-01-08 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That is an interesting plan.  I guess I need to write down what I eat for a few days as it said that I need about 3300 calories.  I've started taking off some of my off season weight gain by just cutting back. 

I hope it is successful for you.  The sample meal plans look easy enough to follow.

2009-01-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1895548

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

wakehr - ... online calculates your resting metabolic rate (?accuracy)...

I had my metabolic profile done in a lab last September.  My resting metabolic rate was 1880, and total daily calories with non exercise was 2418.

The online calculator in your link was very close to that.  RMR = 1778.  Total Calories: 2223.  My V02 max is above the normal range so that probably accounts for the higher numbers in the lab.  Sure looks to me like the online calculator is sufficient for what you're trying to do.  Hell, my daily calorie counts were probably off by more than 200.

Don't forget to eat lots of pie.  Bicycles are powered by pie you know.  Wink

2009-01-08 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Thanks for checking in on the bike.   My husband picked it out and bought it and then I was fitted for it at the bike shop.  I raced on it in September and it was fine, so I'm not sure why I've been uncomfortable with it now.  I've played with the seat placement and it's feeling much better.  I'm going to keep the stock seat through the early spring and I'll decide on whether to switch it out or not when I'm getting ready to do my first century ride. =) Plus, I just upgraded my cycling shorts.

This causes a predicament... If I have these nice cushy shorts on for my training then how am I going to get used to something much thinner in a race?  

2009-01-08 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Sara,

This is the advice I was given on saddles and it made a world of difference. 

First, measure the distance between your ischial tuberosity (sit bones).  You can sit on a flat piece of wood and mark where your bones touch the wood with a pencil.  Then, measure the distance between these marks.  I'm told that women have, on average, a wider spread between sit bones than men.  Measure this distance in CM. 

Now, look for saddles that are flat at the top for at least this distance plus five or ten CM.  This will give you a flat saddle to sit on where your sit bones contact the saddle.  I finally purchased a Specialized 155 cm saddle.  While it's not perfect for me, it's SO much better than anything else I've ridden that I'm happy with it for now.  I've put about 3,000 miles on it.

Any LBS that carries Specialized will probably have a memory foam cushion you can sit on which will retain the indention of your sit bones for a measurement.  Remember, more cushion is not always better.

Best of luck!!!!

2009-01-08 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hey guys! Sorry I've been non-existant simce page 3, been really crammed for time and all that nonsense..

Glad to see everybody's doing well! Who's ready for spring!?

2009-01-09 4:59 AM
in reply to: #1896340

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-08 8:54 PM

Thanks for checking in on the bike.   My husband picked it out and bought it and then I was fitted for it at the bike shop.  I raced on it in September and it was fine, so I'm not sure why I've been uncomfortable with it now.  I've played with the seat placement and it's feeling much better.  I'm going to keep the stock seat through the early spring and I'll decide on whether to switch it out or not when I'm getting ready to do my first century ride. =) Plus, I just upgraded my cycling shorts.

This causes a predicament... If I have these nice cushy shorts on for my training then how am I going to get used to something much thinner in a race?  

I'm not sure how much time you have on your bike, but a seat does take some breaking in.  But looking at different seats and seat positions could certainly improve the biking experience.

Also, is your discomfort something new on the trainer or did you experience it outside as well?  If it has only been on your trainer, you may want to try adjusting the front tire up or down with a phone book or with the risers you can buy.  If the front is too low, you may be putting more pressure on the front of your seat than you normally would outside, because you are leaning forward more than normal.  I know it was a factor for me.

I would also suggest that once you get closer to race date, you do some training in what ever shorts you plan on racing, just to get used to them.  56 miles is a long ways in an outfit that rubs you the wrong way. 

Personally I prefer the thinner cushioning of the tri shorts.  Probably due to having too much God given cushioning of my own!

2009-01-09 5:06 AM
in reply to: #1895836

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-08 5:09 PM

wakehr - ... online calculates your resting metabolic rate (?accuracy)...

I had my metabolic profile done in a lab last September.  My resting metabolic rate was 1880, and total daily calories with non exercise was 2418.

The online calculator in your link was very close to that.  RMR = 1778.  Total Calories: 2223.  My V02 max is above the normal range so that probably accounts for the higher numbers in the lab.  Sure looks to me like the online calculator is sufficient for what you're trying to do.  Hell, my daily calorie counts were probably off by more than 200.

Don't forget to eat lots of pie.  Bicycles are powered by pie you know.  Wink

Glad to hear that it is fairly accurate, although I am still somewhat skeptical of the calorie burn chart.  Seems somewhat high to me, but I would think with Carmichael they would have some background with that.

That is funny about the pies.  I live in the Finger Lakes of NY, which is also grape and wine country.  A group I ride with like to ride around Canandaigua Lake  fairly regularly.  It's a nice 45 mile loop with some great climbing.  Anyhow, about half way there is a pie stand and we had always joked about stopping for pies, but never did.  This past fall one of the guys organized a grape tart ride with the goal of stopping for tarts as they would be easier to ride with.  Unfortunately I had a conflict and had to miss it.

2009-01-09 5:07 AM
in reply to: #1896590

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Pegasus1731 - 2009-01-08 11:06 PM

Hey guys! Sorry I've been non-existant simce page 3, been really crammed for time and all that nonsense..

Glad to see everybody's doing well! Who's ready for spring!?

Good to hear from you! We certainly understand knowing your school schedule.  You are doing great getting your training in with everything else you have going on!

2009-01-09 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Hey guys...

So went to the sports massage/PT last night.  Interesting session.  She's a very "basic" person. She does not belive in a lot of tools.  Users her hands for everything.  The only exception was her cupping machine.

I'm sure we've all see the technique where they place a burning object under a glass cup which creates a vacuum on your skin.  Same principle but this uses a vacuum pump.

It's really pretty amazing.  It creates quite a bit of suction on your body.  She puts lotion on the area and slides it around.  It pulls the skin and muscle tissue AWAY from the body relieving inflammation.  When she hit the spot on my glute the pain went away instantly.  Of course it comes back eventually but we cannot expect results in one session.

Also it shows where the "knots" are.  After 30 mins of the cupping you could actually see the ripples in my legs where there were "knots".  She then worked them out (PAINFULLY) with her hands.

I'll be going back weekly for the next few weeks to see if we can get this thing worked out.  She also said she has a few runners who come in to have it done 1-2 days BEFORE a race and they claim they feel better and have less pain after the races because of it.  Might have to give that a shot.

Got in a 45 min swim after the massage while my son took his swim lessons.  Pool was PACKED!

And of course the most important news of the day.

The University of Florida Gators are the National Champs!!!!!

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-01-09 8:27 AM
2009-01-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1897073

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
TriRSquared - 2009-01-09 9:26 AM

Hey guys...

So went to the sports massage/PT last night.  Interesting session.  She's a very "basic" person. She does not belive in a lot of tools.  Users her hands for everything.  The only exception was her cupping machine.

I'm sure we've all see the technique where they place a burning object under a glass cup which creates a vacuum on your skin.  Same principle but this uses a vacuum pump.

It's really pretty amazing.  It creates quite a bit of suction on your body.  She puts lotion on the area and slides it around.  It pulls the skin and muscle tissue AWAY from the body relieving inflammation.  When she hit the spot on my glute the pain went away instantly.  Of course it comes back eventually but we cannot expect results in one session.

Also it shows where the "knots" are.  After 30 mins of the cupping you could actually see the ripples in my legs where there were "knots".  She then worked them out (PAINFULLY) with her hands.

I'll be going back weekly for the next few weeks to see if we can get this thing worked out.  She also said she has a few runners who come in to have it done 1-2 days BEFORE a race and they claim they feel better and have less pain after the races because of it.  Might have to give that a shot.

Got in a 45 min swim after the massage while my son took his swim lessons.  Pool was PACKED!

And of course the most important news of the day.

The University of Florida Gators are the National Champs!!!!!

Congrats to al the Gator fans!

That is an interesting treatment.  I had not heard of that before!  I hope it works out.

2009-01-09 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1897073

User image

Veteran
Houston
Sounds like it was a worthwhile visit. As a Big 12 and UT alumni, gotta luv the gators !!!
2009-01-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1897413

User image

Veteran
Houston
Trainer question? Nice thing about Houston "winter" is ya never know what you're gonna get.
39 or 75, pick a day. With my current training plan, I'm using trainer more than ever trying to get workous done early am. I have a used Minoura Mag 500 that seems to work well except its h*ll on tire wear. With one bike the only option I know is to purchase another rear wheel set/training tire priced last night at $160.00 (least expensive). Another bike is not in budget....yet. Don't want to change tires out between road and trainer. Any advice?

2009-01-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1897468

User image

Regular
wakehr - 2009-01-09 10:54 AM

With one bike the only option I know is to purchase another rear wheel set/training tire priced last night at $160.00 (least expensive).

That's about the only option I can think of. If you have an LBS you patronize, you might check and see if they have an inexpensive used wheel lying around that they would sell you, then put a trainer tire on it. Craigslist or Ebay for a used wheel?
2009-01-09 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
I change tires on my wheel.  It only takes a few minutes but it is a pain.
2009-01-09 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
If there is any benefit to living in the snow belt is I don't have to worry about trainer tires.  I put a new one on in the spring and by the time the bike goes on the trainer, it doesn't come off again.  That and at least with the tires I have been using, the trainer is pretty easy on them.
2009-01-09 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1897959

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina

Thanks for the supportive messages.  I'm glad to say I made it through a full work week and managed to stay on my training plan which fortunately included a glorious day of rest. 

Sounds like you all have tons of bike expertise and could use your advice on a bike purchase.   I am all the way in now and shopping for a reasonable priced bike. Any suggestions? I'm 6'0" with a 32 inseam. Does that equate to a 54 or 56 cm frame?  I have 4 sprints and one olympic tri scheduled and registered from end of March to October.  I did some searching on eBay and Craigs but ???

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29