BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2008-12-24 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1871278

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: GPOL 4 newbies - seasoned triathletes (OPEN - ALMOST FULL)
chipit muffin - 2008-12-24 10:06 AM

Kurls26 - 2008-12-24 12:11 PM okay just a quick question...Ive been scouting out some Sprint Triathlons that are in the MA area. A few of them are already sold out! Like I mentioned before I want to make sure I am ready and confident in all parts of the race, the three races that I would consider are July 19th, July 26th, and August 26th. I think I would be ready for a July race.  I think the Aug 26th would be to late in the year for my BF to be able to watch ( and I REALLY want him there). SO should I sign up before it is too late?  Or am I just jumping the gun?

sign! It is totally within reach if you follow a plan. The 20 weeks plan available here did the trick for me and,as i mentioned in my intro,i am not an athlete.

first cardio challenge:clicking on the "sending entry" button , go girl!!!

Morning Isabelle...LOL sooo very true ....the biggest step for you Monica is signing up...we will get you to that next step.

2008-12-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi Everyone...I just spoke to my daughter who is driving up here from San Diego..she left at 3 am and is almost home...I will not be around today because of this...so, I wanted to wish everyone a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS....and eat, drink and be MERRY!!!

this is a link to one of the funniest comedian ventroliquists.....Jeff Dunham, with my favorite one of his puppets...ACHMED the terifying terrorist...singing his rendition of Jingle Bells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskT6YfVB6E

2008-12-24 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Merry Christmas eve, all!

What race did you sign up for Kurls26?

2008-12-24 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1871329

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
naners - 2008-12-24 10:46 AM

back atcha Nalani...what are your plans? is your family all on the island?

2008-12-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1871330

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-24 7:47 AM

I have a good chunk of family here, so we'll be gathering together and causing trouble for the next couple of days .

2008-12-24 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

This is my first little homework assignment....

Please take some time to list your weakness...strenghts.....and what motivates you. I will be asking us to list these when we gather ourselves back together after Christmas. I truly hope everyone has the best day possible...be safe if you are traveling.  Merry Christmas Eve.

2008-12-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1871379

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
naners - 2008-12-24 11:26 AM

I have a good chunk of family here, so we'll be gathering together and causing trouble for the next couple of days .

suweeeeet...glad you have family near by. We had 20 family members gather together in two beachhouses in Galveston Island for Thanksgiving...Christmas should be a little more tame tomorrow...around a dozen people will be coming over to my house...oh yeah... 5 dogs, too - and we arent talking chihauha's -  (two rotweillers, a lab, weimeriemer and a boston terrier)! I thrive on the craziness...and would have it no other way! MERRY MERRY! don't get into tooooooo much trouble. Hugs! I have to go wrap a ton of presents. Go swim for me will ya? what are the air/water temps now?

2008-12-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1871379

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
naners - 2008-12-24 11:26 AM

and how far are you from the beach?

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2008-12-24 1:36 PM
2008-12-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1871382

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-24 11:27 AM

This is my first little homework assignment....

Please take some time to list your weakness...strenghts.....and what motivates you. I will be asking us to list these when we gather ourselves back together after Christmas. I truly hope everyone has the best day possible...be safe if you are traveling.  Merry Christmas Eve.

we're getting ready to head out in to the festivness (is that a word?) we have almost 4 feet of snow-but i wanted to complete my homework before i leave, so i don't have to STRESS about not turning it in on time during the holidays (member those days? LOL)
anyway, i would say that strengths for me are the running and maybe even the biking. i acutally like to climb. at least i tell my self that i love it when i'm climbing. LOL my mantra while hill climbing on the bike "i have the heart of a climber, i have the heart of a climber" i am doing better and better with longer distances running, but i am NOT fast. so speed is something i'd like to improve on in 09. and i am a terrible swimmer. there was much drama surrounding all my races, and it's all been resolved now, but the two times dh came to see me swim in preparation, he told me i'd most likely get pulled out of the race because i am just not a good enough swimmer. he's a dear, isnt' he? like i said, it's all resolved now. anyway, so there's my strengths and weaknesses,
inspiration? well, BT for one. other than that, i think what inspires me is other people. when i run with someone else, or just where people can see me, i push harder. when i race with friends i try harder, and i train harder. i suppose i;m eager to impress, but still, what inspires me is other triathletes.
ok, i think everyone is ready to go. i won't be around much probably unitl friday--so have a merry Christmas everyone! spread some cheer
2008-12-24 2:53 PM

User image

New user

Holy Cow!!  I shut the computer off for a couple days and there are SIX pages of posts!  It just took me an hour to go through all of them, even if I did just skim a few of them.

I didn't catch everyone's name, but here it goes - the nanny who lives in Boston: I grew up about 35 miles south of the city in a little town called Sharon. Small world! I have a bike trainer - it's a Blackburn Trackstand trainer that I picked up off Crangslist for $65.  I'm very happy with it.  I also picked up a cheap 10 road bike too for only $125.  I'm hoping it gets me through my first tri.  I'm signed up to do "My First Tri" on June 5th... and I'm probably the least athletic in this group.

Nalani - Hey girl... I've been to Hawaii twice, we stayed in Waikiki this past spring, and we were also in Maui in 2001.  We're going back next year.  My husband travels alot for work and I try to tag along when he goes someplace awesome.  He's taking me to Switzerland in February. 

Okay, since I've been out of the loop for a few days, here is my update.  My husband's kids came down from Michigan for christams, so the last time I worked out was Monday.  I'm taking the rest of the week off and getting fired up again next week.

My strengths and weaknesses - well, let me just nip this in the bud. I have no strengths as of right now, except my determination.  You can just lump everything else into my weaknesses.  The extent of my bike riding experience brings me back to my teen years before I had a car.  I used to ride my bike everywhere.  I do a spin class once a week at my gym, and I have the bike trainer set up and have used it a couple times. 

I get on the treadmill at the gym a few times a week.  And the swimming?  I don't even want to go there right now.  lol

My problem (challenge) is my 3 year old twins.  When I'm at the gym, they stay in the daycare center at the gym, where I can leave them there for 2 hours per day.  I'm still trying to figure out swimming.  I'll probably end up joining one of the larger gym-chains that has a pool and use their daycare while I swim train.  I hope they have a masters class.  The last time I was in the pool was over the summer trying to stay afloat.

Well, enough hot wind out of me.  I hope ya'all have a great holiday, whichever one you may celebrate.  We're getting ready to bake sugar cookies for Santa. 

-Jennifer

2008-12-24 3:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-12-24 3:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Oh homework...... ok, I'm in !

My strength I suppose is my running (which kinda sucks but I can do it) and my swimming (only done laps, no open water though).  I only learned to swim around 10 weeks ago so, but I've had great advice from both here and at the pool and I am determined !  My 4 year old will stick her head under the water in the pool and the bathtub, 'cause she saw mommy do it".  So that makes me proud, 'cause a few weeks ago I could not put my face in the water !

Weakness, that is for sure the bike ! i've not been on one at all, and I think hte one i have is miserable ! But dh wants me to get through one race before we think about buying one.  I have also had graves disease and the bulging eyes that go with it since 2004.  I am tired alot but I still make myself "go". I plan to do an indoor tri in March which will be my first tri ever, then my first outdoor will be in April in carmel Indiana (if I have my way about it) !

Inspiration" that would be you gals (and guys), my dad who faces chronic kidney disease but has held off dialysis for years because he is on a strict diet and he exercises three times a day at 73 years old.  Also my mom who measures his food and prepares it in a special way so he is doing well because of her too.  My 4 year old daughter with her boundless energy and beautiful personality.  Also my good friend In california who follows my blog and encourages me almost daily.  My blog is www.jdhalter.blogspot.com  I've kept track of my learning all along

2008-12-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1871477

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Kurls26 - 2008-12-24 1:05 PM

thanks ladies!  Ahhh I actually have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about signing up for a race!!! i am actually going to hold off on registering (at least for a couple of days until I speak with the BF-I want to make sure I dont sign up for a race that he wont be able to attend) Here are the two I am considering Though the Marlborough Tri looks like I have to bike the same loop over and over..I think I would go nuts:

http://www.marlboroughtri.com/#

http://www.firm-racing.com/prerace.asp?RID=%7B2FF92F4C-4912-4CEF-8128-6349BBE1F167%7D

and the one in August that I dont think the BF would be back for (but its the cheapest registration hehe):

http://www.cranberrycountrytri.com/

I want to come and do the littleton appleman one with you...sounds fun. Look forward to seeing which one you pick...hopefully you will do a few tri's, along with some fun runs, and find some bike events in your area...such as 25K, half centuries.

make sure to spread them out. I am excited for you!!

2008-12-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1871465

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
jireland5666 - 2008-12-24 12:53 PM

Holy Cow!!  I shut the computer off for a couple days and there are SIX pages of posts!  It just took me an hour to go through all of them, even if I did just skim a few of them.

I didn't catch everyone's name, but here it goes - the nanny who lives in Boston: I grew up about 35 miles south of the city in a little town called Sharon. Small world! I have a bike trainer - it's a Blackburn Trackstand trainer that I picked up off Crangslist for $65.  I'm very happy with it.  I also picked up a cheap 10 road bike too for only $125.  I'm hoping it gets me through my first tri.  I'm signed up to do "My First Tri" on June 5th... and I'm probably the least athletic in this group.

Nalani - Hey girl... I've been to Hawaii twice, we stayed in Waikiki this past spring, and we were also in Maui in 2001.  We're going back next year.  My husband travels alot for work and I try to tag along when he goes someplace awesome.  He's taking me to Switzerland in February. 

Okay, since I've been out of the loop for a few days, here is my update.  My husband's kids came down from Michigan for christams, so the last time I worked out was Monday.  I'm taking the rest of the week off and getting fired up again next week.

My strengths and weaknesses - well, let me just nip this in the bud. I have no strengths as of right now, except my determination.  You can just lump everything else into my weaknesses.  The extent of my bike riding experience brings me back to my teen years before I had a car.  I used to ride my bike everywhere.  I do a spin class once a week at my gym, and I have the bike trainer set up and have used it a couple times. 

I get on the treadmill at the gym a few times a week.  And the swimming?  I don't even want to go there right now.  lol

My problem (challenge) is my 3 year old twins.  When I'm at the gym, they stay in the daycare center at the gym, where I can leave them there for 2 hours per day.  I'm still trying to figure out swimming.  I'll probably end up joining one of the larger gym-chains that has a pool and use their daycare while I swim train.  I hope they have a masters class.  The last time I was in the pool was over the summer trying to stay afloat.

Well, enough hot wind out of me.  I hope ya'all have a great holiday, whichever one you may celebrate.  We're getting ready to bake sugar cookies for Santa. 

-Jennifer

Hi Jennifer great to hear from you. You definitely will get lost with our group if you stay away too long...we seem to have a lot to say...which is great!

which tri are you doing in June..is it a sprint?

you are doing the right things...spin classes are great! maybe two a week! and get on that trainer more...you are going to thank yourself when it comes to race day. and you definitely want to get to the pool....as many will tell you the swim will not win or lose you a race, but it is the first leg and it can wear you out. I used to think I am not going to make it to the other end....now, I feel like the ever ready bunny....who can keep going and going and going...and a masters team is very key! most pools offer a masters swim class...there is a link to them...I forget it is msm.com or something...and it gives you a list of all masters swim classes listed in your area...hoping this helps...You have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS...and can I have a cookie!??

2008-12-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1871164

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2008-12-24 8:54 AM

Any space left? I'm no longer a beginner but I still have a lot to learn. Running is my limiter. I've never run beyond 4.4 miles but I'm planning on doing my first Oly distance tri this summer. I can use all the help I can get with getting my running up for the challenge.

Nicole

Hi Nicole...WELCOME...I believe we will shut the team now....there is another who has some interest and has emailed me questions.

MERRY CHRISTMAS...we have officially become a team...do we want to name ourselves now that we have formed and finally closed??

2008-12-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1871193

Extreme Veteran
Kurls26 - 2008-12-24 11:11 AM

okay just a quick question...Ive been scouting out some Sprint Triathlons that are in the MA area. A few of them are already sold out! Like I mentioned before I want to make sure I am ready and confident in all parts of the race, the three races that I would consider are July 19th, July 26th, and August 26th. I think I would be ready for a July race.  I think the Aug 26th would be to late in the year for my BF to be able to watch ( and I REALLY want him there). SO should I sign up before it is too late?  Or am I just jumping the gun?

Definately sign up, you will be ready...we will help, for the August race you might meet some friends to compete with if your BF can't be there, it won't take his place, but it is a wonderful outlet and personal challenge for you, and you will be in excellent condition for it by then, just a thought.

Yes, I'm a habitual pic changer...ha could only stand looking at the sausage wetsuit so long ya know....

Amy

Edited by amy mutz 2008-12-24 9:28 PM

2008-12-24 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1871740

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-12-24 7:02 PM
Kurls26 - 2008-12-24 11:11 AM okay just a quick question...Ive been scouting out some Sprint Triathlons that are in the MA area. A few of them are already sold out! Like I mentioned before I want to make sure I am ready and confident in all parts of the race, the three races that I would consider are July 19th, July 26th, and August 26th. I think I would be ready for a July race.  I think the Aug 26th would be to late in the year for my BF to be able to watch ( and I REALLY want him there). SO should I sign up before it is too late?  Or am I just jumping the gun?
Definately sign up, you will be ready...we will help, for the August race you might meet some friends to compete with if your BF can't be there, it won't take his place, but it is a wonderful outlet and personal challenge for you, and you will be in excellent condition for it by then, just a thought. Yes, I'm a habitual pic changer...ha could only stand looking at the sausage wetsuit so long ya know.... Amy

Just returned from taking my dd to dinner...went to our favorite Chinese restaraunt and had some good eats and Saki and beer....It took me a while to figure out what you meant...about changing your picture alot, cuz I was seeing your old one. I did not see your new avatar til I hit refresh button...so, if you other t-mates are the same hit the refresh button and you will see Amy's new avatar. Is that your new daughter. Amy you look great! MERRY CHRISTMASi....gotta go wrap my last gifts....HO HO HO!!!!!!

2008-12-25 1:43 AM
in reply to: #1871567

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-24 3:11 PM
MDHillSlug - 2008-12-24 8:54 AM

Any space left? I'm no longer a beginner but I still have a lot to learn. Running is my limiter. I've never run beyond 4.4 miles but I'm planning on doing my first Oly distance tri this summer. I can use all the help I can get with getting my running up for the challenge.

Nicole

Hi Nicole...WELCOME...we would love for you to join us...please do your intro and let us know what you believe to be your weakness, strengths and what it is that inspires you.

Nicole is our 16th teammate....I believe we will shut the team now...we have officially become a team...do we want to name ourselves now that we have formed and finally closed??

2008-12-25 6:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
SENDING CHRISTMAS CHEER Pictures, Images and Photos

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Looking forward to a the New Year with you.

Amy from Indiana

Yes, that is my daughter, she is 22.

Edited by amy mutz 2008-12-25 6:14 AM
2008-12-25 6:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
2008-12-25 10:28 AM

Pro
Olney, MD

I'm glad I got in before the door closed!

I've already listed my weakness as running. Biking is where I started and is definitely my strength. My swimming has come a long way since my first tri's last year where I could barely do the distance and had trouble maintaining my composure.

Happy holidays!

2008-12-25 11:08 AM

Master
Merry Christmas everyone!
my two year old needed a minute to collect himself. there's a lot of excitement, and he gets overwhelmed sometimes, so we're sitting here at the computer for a minute. Christmas morning was pretty wild (as usual) i'll post some pics later, they're still on my camera.
we're going to gramma's house here in a bit, but have a great day everyone--
and i for SURE think we need a cool name, i had an idea or two during the night, but i can't remember them just now. i neeeeeeeeeed some coffee!!
2008-12-25 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ready, set, go...
On your mark, get set, go...

Our we ready for blast off????

I have had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and I'm back at home sitting in my lazy boy dreaming of training to come...oh, and me and DH went for a hour walk when we got home....yeah.

Can you feel the sweat? Can you feel your muscles getting stronger? Can you feel your lungs burning from going faster, than you went the last time?

Well if not look below and try to imagine it.

christmas gifts Pictures, Images and Photos
Triathlon 8 Pictures, Images and Photos
cycling Pictures, Images and Photos
Runners Pictures, Images and Photos

That's what I'm talking about.
2008-12-25 7:08 PM

Master
Sendai, Japan

Merry Christmas everyone!  It is actually Dec 26 here in Japan - we are 14 hours ahead of EST, 15 hours ahead of CST, 17 hours ahead of those of you on the west coast and 19 hours ahead of Nalani in Hawaii.

My strength is actually running.  Although I'm still struggling to get back into it, I did do the Honolulu Marathon back in 2001.  My biggest weakness right now is my knees.  They have been giving me grief for years and were even more troublesome after the marathon.   I have started trying to work on the trigger points in my quads and that does seem to be helping some.    Another weakness is swimming.  I am still only able to do about 150 meters before getting winded, but I was regularly doing 4000-5000 meters per week last year, i.e., lots of stopping, but also lots of time focused on improving my technique which was terrible.    I know that it is a matter of technique and I think a breakthrough is on the horizon early next year.

Inspiration?  My Dad and genetics: he had his first heart attack at age 53 (after a 3 mile run - doc said that  the fact that he had been running for 5 years enabled him to survive).  He kept on exercising and trying new things (cycling, cross-country skiing) for the next 24 years and finally passed away last year.   So, I figure IM by age 53 is one of my goals.   

Watching any marathon or triathlon is also inspiring for me.  It is always great to see the elites (they make it look so easy), but also to see the rest of the pack (if they can do it, then I can too).

Dan

2008-12-26 9:44 AM

Master
hey everyone! well, i guess for me anyway, all the holiday stuff is done. dh got called in to work this morning so he left at 430-he should be home by 11 tonight, i hope. it seems like it was here then gone too fast. and today is (dramatic pause) CHORE DAY! yay. my kids are so excited right now! LOL
there is still hip deep snow outside, but last night while i was trying to sleep, (and not sleeping-thanks to my two year old) i thought, screw it, the roads are plowed (mostly) i'm just going to get up in the morning and go out slowly, and carefully. then of COURSE dh got called in to work, so here i am, still not running. as of today, it's been two weeks since my last run. i feel like an addict going through withdrawl. my mom got me a sam rotman cd (piano music-it's just magical) and i was listning to it last night, and i burst in to tears. it was so beautiful! dh just looked at me and said, you REALLY need to run, dontcha hon? um. yeah. pretty much. LOL

about 2 miles from here the roads are a little clearer, but because of the plowing, there is NO shoulder-i'd be on the actual road, but i'm willing to take my chances, and since dh can't work OT two days in a row (well, he CAN, but he HATES to) i think i'll do that in the AM. yay! something to look forward to!! i can't wait-
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168