BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-06 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1866775

Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim

Here is mine for the week.  Sorry for the format, but easier than retyping.  I am really supposed to just walk 20 min, but I am past that. Therefore, I ran a mile each time out last week, this week will run a 1.25 miles.  I like to run as far as I can sometimes, then walk a half lap, then run a lap, then work my way down to walking the curves and sprinting the straights when I am on the track.

I also have actually been swimming a little further than called for.

I did not swim or run yesterday, so I am going to try and get all 3 in for today.  I have to work the HS swim tonight, so I will stick around and swim when the place clears out...hoping to have the coach watch me and maybe give me some pointers.  I ran this morning and I have enough time to get a few miles in on the bike...the plan calls for 2 miles, but I rode a little over 3 last week and will go 3 or 4 today.  That does not feel like much, but I am trusting the plan for now and trying not to over do things.

I may not get the strenght training in...I have adde that myself, but I can catch up on that tomorrow.

Swim

Bike

Run

Monday

• Warm up

• Freestyle 100 yards

• Cool Down 50 yards

Off

Run for 10 min

Walk for 1 min

Tuesday

Off

2 miles

Off

ST

Wednesday

• Warm up

• Freestyle 100 yards

• Cool Down 50 yards

Off

Run for 10 min

Walk for 1 min

Thursday

Off

Off

Off

Friday

• Warm up

• Freestyle 100 yards

• Cool Down 50 yards

2 miles

Off

Saturday

Off

Off

Run for 10 min

Walk for 1 min

ST

Sunday

Off

2 miles

It was great to hear from everyone...I have definitely had some adjusting to do this week going back to work and trying to train!

2009-01-06 5:25 PM

New user

Great looking training weeks everyone.

I did my first brick yesterday.   I did a 15 min swim and a 20 min run.  I have never felt so retarded as I did in the 1st 5-6 min of that run.  I felt like an elephant landing on the treadmill with every step.  My legs must have weighed at least 200lbs each.  After I pushed through that it was a great run.  I am resting today, i need it.  It was a busy 4 days. 

The bike is available, but the gentleman selling it is out of town.  I think i get it next week.  It is a Trek 6700, that has never been on the trail.  It is an '04 model but was only used on a trainer in an office.  Since I like both road and trail riding all i will have to do is get a set of slicks and transfer  them out.  For now I think that will do me fine.  Does any else do this or is this a bad idea?

There ia a great article in Men's Health this month with Lance Armstrong.  Really good insite to what he looks at when training, not so much during the races.

Keep piling up those bricks!!!!

2009-01-06 7:00 PM

I have a Trek 6700 and it's a great bike although mine seems to lose it's "tune up" fairly easily.  You'll have to let me know how you like it.
2009-01-06 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
I liked the Lance Armstong article as well, you guys are crazy with the posts in this thread.
2009-01-06 10:19 PM

User image

New user

Just got home from a 45 minute endurance swim (I will do drills on Friday). Oh it felt awesome! Just to see how long I could go without stopping. I do have to say that swimming is my favorite part of the sport. I have always felt very comfortable in the water.

I just wanted to give some of you that are new to swimming some tips.  I know the total immersion book can read like stereo instructions, but I have to tell you the "Freestyle Made Easy" dvd is awesome (especially if you are a real visual learner like myself.). After practicing the techniques for nearly a year, I find that I am rarely using my legs to propel me at all (saving lots of energy). Tonight I felt like I was gliding! It was so peaceful, and I didn't feel like I was going to drown!

Next...attire (noticed this more tonight at the pool): 

Guys- if you want to save yourself break down and get some tri-shorts. Or if you cant afford tri's hit the local sporting good store and pick up some jammers (mid thigh speedo). Believe me you would reduce so much drag (especially if you are like my hubby and insisted on wearing his baggy ole' trunks for so long!!). Get over yourself...really no one cares!! Ok...wish I would have had the guts to tell this to the guy in the lane next to me tonight. So incase you were him and you are reading this just go out and get some new shorts geez 

Girls- I know Speedo's are not attractive unless you are Pamela Anderson and all curves. But after many months of trying to swim in a bathing suit that I would have to stop every 15 yards to pull up my plunging neck line it got a little old, besides there is nothing better than "sliding" through the water in something that feels like second skin. 

Ok, stepping off soapbox now Hope you are all having a wonderful night! 

2009-01-06 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1888744

Champion
No excuses!
kimk - 2009-01-06 8:18 AM

hey everyone...great to see everyones week planed out.

Shannon~Great plan and good luck with the tri group. we started one at our Y and it is nice to have people to train with and get tips from.

Jill~ completing an Olympic race is one of my goals this year,still not sure which one though.

Tammy~way to work around your schedule. Don't allow "busy" days to get in the way of your training.

Ken~good lookin plan you have...make sure you listen to your body as you have quite a few "bricks" in there...are they back to back or do you do one in a.m./p.m.? Your body will let you know if this is too much.  I hear ya on the "rubber legs" as I call them! I remember asking my hubby if I was even moving off the bike! I felt like I was going in slow motion.

trudee~ glad to hear things with the BF are better. Nice plan you have there.

Drew~great plan for you as well, did you get the bike? I 2nd the swim 2 days in a row, I have to do the same, and of all the sports swimming is the easiest on your body.

Rebecca~Check out the gear reviews on this site, search for trainers, lots of good info about them. I have a trek cycleops.  Use it 3x's a week and like it. also check about the trainer tire. They say it is quieter and then you don't waste your racing tire.(I don't have one yet)

Wade~ I agree with the swim/bike brick also, I get dizzy when I try to stand up too quickly and in a race you forget that.

Sherm~ Hope you are feelin better...hows the little man?

Thanks, and the little man is doing great. Can't wait for my wife to be able to drive again.

2009-01-06 11:38 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Dang peeps, I am going to have to spend an evening gettting caught up on this thread Wink

Keep up the good work everyone. One more long workday for me (just finish a 16 hour day) and then I should be caught back up from taking most of last week off and get back to it.

2009-01-07 11:48 AM

Well, I am off to a bad start...  Missed last night.  Kids, dinner, and work are making it tough.  Mayhaps I'll switch to an early morning workout.
2009-01-07 6:32 PM

New user
Aw, Ken you made me feel better, I skipped my Monday workout, had a stomach ache. Still not feeling great on Tuesday, but made myself ride the bike.

Eek, called about swim lessons at the rec center and they connected me to the Master's swim coach so I asked if I should do a couple of swim lessons and he said "don't know til I see you so come on down". I jumped in pool and swam two lengths and he said I don't need individual lessons but to come to the Master's program (Sunday's 8:30-10am, $7/class). He said all the teachers are triathletes. He said I have way too many swim strokes per length. So now I'm terrified to swim in front of real triathletes, ha.

Got my Garmin, way too overwhelming . . . . have to work, so will have to save it for this weekend.

No snow here but super windy, blew down my fence.

Oh thanks for the notes on my log, I just noticed those, was wondering what the heck the red was for. I commented back, can you see that or did I just reply to myself? But THANKS, cheered me up, really motivated me, made me laugh, etc.
2009-01-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1893444

Champion
No excuses!

Trudee - 2009-01-07 7:32 PM  Eek, called about swim lessons at the rec center and they connected me to the Master's swim coach so I asked if I should do a couple of swim lessons and he said "don't know til I see you so come on down". I jumped in pool and swam two lengths and he said I don't need individual lessons but to come to the Master's program (Sunday's 8:30-10am, $7/class). He said all the teachers are triathletes. He said I have way too many swim strokes per length. So now I'm terrified to swim in front of real triathletes, ha.

Hey Trudee, I have the same issue with too many stokes per length. Don't fret about the MS class. It will probably be the best thing for you. You might be surprised at how many "triathletes" are not "good" swimmers.

2009-01-07 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1892332

Champion
No excuses!

K Robert - 2009-01-07 12:48 PM Well, I am off to a bad start...  Missed last night.  Kids, dinner, and work are making it tough.  Mayhaps I'll switch to an early morning workout.

Feel your pain. I am hoping today is the last day I have excuses for. And maybe I can even squeeze something in tonight yet. I am finally semi caught up at work and feeling great after two bouts of being really sick over the last couple of weeks.

2009-01-07 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1893511

Hi Michael!  Hope all is well with the family and the new addition.

I am way to pooped to do anything tonight.  I am really shooting for tomorrow though.

2009-01-07 8:10 PM

Well, I am off to a bad start...  Missed last night.  Kids, dinner, and work are making it tough.  Mayhaps I'll switch to an early morning workout

I am feeling you too.  I knew it would be a struggle to fit everything in once I went back to work with teachers and students present.  I have a night acivity to cover 2 out of the 3 nights we have been back in school and I have another 4 ball games to cover this Friday.  I got everything in yesterday (even made up for missing Monday, but I did not get the bike in today.  Will have to try and squeeze all three in again tomorrow, slide in a run after school and before the ball games Friday.  The nice thing about Sat is that I can get three workouts in space them out to maximize my full potential.

My goal is to do an am/pm schedule on the two-a-days.  However, I have been having to drive my brother to work in the mornings at 6:15, so it has been near impossible to do much and still have to get ready to leave that early.

OK...anybody have any cheese to go with my whine!!

The good news is that having the accountability of this group is what forced me out yesterday and will keep me going tomorrow!

2009-01-08 7:56 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

trudee~ great on the masters...it will be great promise! Why do you think they are all there? They need the work too...just remember some of them started way before you so they will be better...one day you will be the better one and beginners will wonder if they should be swimming with you!out of all the sports/activities I have ever done tri's have the most friendly helpful people.

Also in the inspires respond in the persons blog(through your inspire)and it will show up in theirs.  Also if you all go into control panel and go to friends you can add everyone in the group to your blog and then check everyone's progress.

2009-01-08 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Jon-I'll add the cheese but some whine too!

I'm waiting for my life to get back to normal too. My sisters will leave tomorrow a.m. so our last visit will be tonight.

I did not workout on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hmm, I guess those are my two rest days and that means I have to do something tonight but reality is that I probably won't.

My husband worked on both Monday and Tuesday and since I am his driver I couldn't go to the gym because I drive straight from my job to pick him up.

Tuesday I could have gotten on the TM but plopped my butt on the couch when I got home around 6:30. A friend brought us dinner around 6:45 so after eating that I turned on the Biggest Loser and didn't really move from the couch.

Last night we visited w/the family again. I worked until 5:00 and dinner was supposed to be at 6:00 so no time.

Okay, enough whine and excuses but I probably will not work out tonight either.

2009-01-08 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

As for those having a hard time fitting it in....PUT IT ON THE CALENDER! You need to make you a priority in your life! I used to have every excuse in the book...the kids(have 4 of them) hubby, the house, work, I was too tired...and the list would go on and on.  Then I would be "crabby" that I didn't get time for me. So now it is just part of my routine. Everyone in the house now knows that mom is much better if she gets "her" time! Just think if you don't take care of your kids "mom/dad" who will? and what example are you giving them?

If you're too tired is the excuse just give it 10 min and after if you are still not feeling it the stop. 10 min is better the 0! But I bet after the first 10 min you realize you have more in ya then ya thought! There are days when I still do this!

After spending 11 years living for my hubby and kids I didn't know who I was except an overweight unhealthy smoking mess! What kind of roll model was that for the kids? and I was very unhappy. I made up my mind to quit smoking, eat healthier and start moving for just 10 min a day(usually more but I "only" had to do 10 min. 2 years later....here I am smoke free, fitness instructor in a size 6/8! That needs and wants to workout every day!(now I need some balance!) i still struggle with the # on the scale but I have never been healthier or happier!

OK climbing off my soap box now!(just a little passionate about the topic!)

2009-01-08 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Shannon-you asked which Olympic Plan I'm using. It's the following from this site

Olympic - 2x Balanced - 20 Week - (Import)

Available for: Bronze members

Duration: 140 days (20 weeks)

2-Swim, 2-Bike and 2-Run per week (6 sessions) Use this if you have between 4 and 8 hours per week to train and a minimum base of 40min swim, 40min run and 80min bike. GREAT BASIC PROGRAM for beginners.

Min Bike: 35m (duration) / Max Bike: 2h 35m (duration)
Min Run: 17m (duration) / Max Run: 1h 17m (duration)
Min Swim: 17m (duration) / Max Swim: 1h 17m (duration)

Even though I can't run for 17 minutes I still chose to do this one. Part of why I chose it is because I know myself and getting in two workouts in one day isn't really possible with my schedule and this one only had a double workout on one day and I can usually do that on a weekend day. I too noticed the new foal legs during my first tri. It didn't last long though.
There are two brick sessions in this program during week 19 and two in week 20. I figure if I don't do the Olympic race in May at least I'll be prepared

Here is the first 4 weeks=Grand total: 17h 11m

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Short S Off Long S Short R Long B Off Long R
Short B

1/5/09 24-Swim Off 40-Swim 24-Run 80-Bike Off 40-Run
48-Bike
1/12/09 26-Swim Off 44-Swim 26-Run 88-Bike Off 44-Run 53-Bike
1/19/09 29-Swim Off 48-Swim 29-Run 97-Bike Off 48-Run
58-Bike
1/26/09 17-Swim Off 29-Swim 17-Run 58-Bike Off 29-Run
35-Bike

2009-01-08 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Hmm, that didn't look like it looked before I sent it over It's on the BT web site though
2009-01-08 8:23 AM

New user
Logged in for a quick peek because have to go to an all day meeting today (messing up my workout schedule).

Kim - I LOVE your post. I'm totally a giver. Working single mom, every excuse in the book. So that's the reason I'm here, to do something for myself. Although easier said than done, ha. Feels impossible to make that time for me and I don't really know how (how sad is that). Okay, I am going to put my workouts into my calendar today. I'm inspired.

Love the WHINE's. It helps me feel normal, that I am not the only one who struggles to find a balance. Glad our bunch is not "perfect". I've heard so many horror stories about self centered triathletes and you guys are just the opposite
2009-01-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1894417

Whine and cheese-whiz!  Awesome combo!    It's definately hard to get motivated and I can come up with millions of excuses not to get out and train.  Heck, I've been doing it for years, so I am a pro.  But, I WILL train tonight.  All of my stuff is laid out and ready to go.

My biggest problem is getting started, but when I do, I am "gang-busters".  After I start, nothing can stop me, but when it does, I have to fight to get on the wagon again.  Any advice?

2009-01-08 11:23 AM

New user
Everett/Seattle

sounds like we all have had a hard time getting back in to the swing of things.  I feel like I am slacking on my work outs but that is mostly because I changed things to fit my school schedule, but I haven't.  So i just feel like I am.  During my swim on tuesdya I did better than last week, but am still having a rough time getting the timing of my stroke and breathing down.  When I use the kick board I do just fine with the breathing without swallowing water, but when I add the stroke... I have my next lesson on Tueday so we will see what happens.  I will probably try to get one extra day in the pool over the weekend. 

For me if I start feeling overwhelmed (which is easy)  I look at only the work out I need to do today.  It seems to help.   ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Keep you head up and your eye on the prize..

tam

2009-01-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1894992

Hi Tammy,

When you rotate to breathe, are you rotating completely on your side?  That is supposed to help tremendously.

Ken

Edited by K Robert 2009-01-08 4:41 PM
2009-01-08 7:25 PM

2009-01-08 7:27 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Hey gang, I found the pool again. Wow, first swim since IM Arizona back in November and wow have I lost a lot and have a ton of work todo.

2009-01-09 7:19 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

How is everyone doing? I'm off to the trainer and going to body pump today! Haven't t gone to pump in a very long time so I am going to feel it!

Sherm~ way to go getting back to splashin! Do you train with HR? My HR is way up there with everything I do. Yesterday I ran 2 miles 2x(issues with the TM!) 2nd time I went on the track and my HR avg was 154 and max at 178. I was running around a 8:45 mile. Do you have the different zones? If I were to do a LT test(think that's what its called) 30 min all out run that you can hold the pace could you tell me my zones? but even if I know them I can't seem to keep the HR in the right place. I'm the same way on the bike. any help on this?

To everyone Happy Training!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18