BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-05-05 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2086538

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people

Morning everyone, I'm back.   Sorry to miss some of the discussions. 

Had a good race over the weekend.  Nothing special or particularly outstanding.  I was a bit disappointed in my swim and run paces in this one, still have a lot more work to do before I get fast.

Came back from the race and hit a group ride with the new tri club in the area on Sunday, went to Masters class last night but  I was so slow and kinda tired.  I think I may have to take today off to let my body recover a bit.

2009-05-05 6:36 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
April's totals:
Bike:7h 56m 39s  - 135.65 Mi
Run:7h 46m 54s  - 49.27 Mi
Swim:5h 48m 11s  - 17887 Yd
Yoga:

6h 30m

2009-05-05 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job everyone.  There was a lot going on this weekend.  For those who raced:

--did you make any mistakes or learn anything that you want to share with the group?
--what was your pre race nutrition?
--what was your post race nutrition?
--how did you feel the day after the race?
2009-05-05 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2130817

User image

Davenport, IA

ADollar79 - 2009-05-05 9:00 AM Great job everyone.  There was a lot going on this weekend.  For those who raced:

--did you make any mistakes or learn anything that you want to share with the group? I think I settled into an easyish pace to early.  I still need to determine what effort level I should be at on the bike while still having the strength and energy to run as fast as possible.
--what was your pre race nutrition? Almost the same thing I eat every morning.  Yogurt with cereal, Orange Juice, banana; clif bar and a liter of Gatorade G2 on the way to the race
--what was your post race nutrition? Slice of pizza at post race, grilled chicken sandwich and a salad with Salmon for lunch
--how did you feel the day after the race?Felt great the day after the race (Sunday), was dragging a bit yesterday during my swim, hopefully got enough rest last night...but either way I have the day off tomorrow.

2009-05-05 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Good topic - nutrition - I was going to ask about this today anyway.

This weekend (Saturday) I did a 56 mile bike followed by a 15 min Trun.  I have just started using Infinit and really like it.  This is all I took in on the bike and felt fine throughout.  Took a gel before I started running and felt fine for the run today.  But as soon as I was done I felt like I was going to pass out/very light headed - had to get food fast and this took approximately 30 mins by the time I could pack up and go get somewhere to eat.  One thing I know I could have done was bring some recovery food with me (like maybe choc milk???) and have something immediately when I'm done.  But I am wondering if maybe I didn't have enough fuel - should this have happened?

Then on Sunday I had a 9 mile run.  I have a slightly different mix of infinit for the run and was under the impression that I could just drink this during the run and not have to eat.  At around mile 5 I felt kind of lousy and luckly had brought a gel and had that and it helped.  M question here - is it possible to have just infinit when running or can you not take it in fast enough for it to be enough fuel?

Great job to our weekend racers - our title here $1.70's Mentor Group Full of FAST PEOPLE was true this Dan and Melissa.  Good job too Jessica for signing up for your first race!
2009-05-05 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Forgot to mention - got my bike fixed up this weekend and I'm very happy with the results.  Ended up putting a 12-27 cassette on and just a new big chain ring as opposed to new crank.  Replaced the 53T with a 55T.  Love both changes.  On the long hilly ride this weekend I did not run out of gears going either up or down!

2009-05-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2130969

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa B - 2009-05-05 10:34 AM Forgot to mention - got my bike fixed up this weekend and I'm very happy with the results.  Ended up putting a 12-27 cassette on and just a new big chain ring as opposed to new crank.  Replaced the 53T with a 55T.  Love both changes.  On the long hilly ride this weekend I did not run out of gears going either up or down!

But can you push the 55 anywhere but downhill?  Arnett and I are both concerned about your efficiency    
2009-05-05 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2130964

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa B - 2009-05-05 10:32 AM Good topic - nutrition - I was going to ask about this today anyway.

This weekend (Saturday) I did a 56 mile bike followed by a 15 min Trun.  I have just started using Infinit and really like it.  This is all I took in on the bike and felt fine throughout.  Took a gel before I started running and felt fine for the run today.  But as soon as I was done I felt like I was going to pass out/very light headed - had to get food fast and this took approximately 30 mins by the time I could pack up and go get somewhere to eat.  One thing I know I could have done was bring some recovery food with me (like maybe choc milk???) and have something immediately when I'm done.  But I am wondering if maybe I didn't have enough fuel - should this have happened?

Then on Sunday I had a 9 mile run.  I have a slightly different mix of infinit for the run and was under the impression that I could just drink this during the run and not have to eat.  At around mile 5 I felt kind of lousy and luckly had brought a gel and had that and it helped.  M question here - is it possible to have just infinit when running or can you not take it in fast enough for it to be enough fuel?

Great job to our weekend racers - our title here $1.70's Mentor Group Full of FAST PEOPLE was true this Dan and Melissa.  Good job too Jessica for signing up for your first race!

A couple of questions---

1.  How much infinit did you take on the bike?  (Arnett's email might be directed at YOU)
2.  Was this the longest ride you have done in a while (distance or time)
3.  Do you think the run problems were a side effect on being run down the day before? 
2009-05-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2130837

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-05 10:06 AM

ADollar79 - 2009-05-05 9:00 AM Great job everyone.  There was a lot going on this weekend.  For those who raced:

--did you make any mistakes or learn anything that you want to share with the group? I think I settled into an easyish pace to early.  I still need to determine what effort level I should be at on the bike while still having the strength and energy to run as fast as possible.
--what was your pre race nutrition? Almost the same thing I eat every morning.  Yogurt with cereal, Orange Juice, banana; clif bar and a liter of Gatorade G2 on the way to the race
--what was your post race nutrition? Slice of pizza at post race, grilled chicken sandwich and a salad with Salmon for lunch
--how did you feel the day after the race?Felt great the day after the race (Sunday), was dragging a bit yesterday during my swim, hopefully got enough rest last night...but either way I have the day off tomorrow.

Great job Dan.  You highlight a few key things I wanted you to share with the group. 

First, finding that line between pushing too hard and not enough is something EVERYONE from a beginner to Kona Champion has in common.  It is a very delicate line that comes with experience and training. 

Second, don't be afraid of taking some down time after a race...even a sprint.  I was shocked how fatigued I was after my race the other weekend.  I certainly impacted my workouts this week.  I couldn't understand why 65 minutes beat me down.  It is the INTENSITY not the time people.  Intensity is low to moderate in training for recovery purposes.  It takes time to recover from a really intense workout....like a race. 

Also, we are all different.  Dan might need 48 hours.  Lisa might need a week.  Some of it has to do with general levels of fitness but most of it has to do with our genes and the way our body works.  I am a big fan of trying to swim 20-30 minutes the day after a race.  And maybe 30 minutes of easy spinning within 48 hours.  NOTHING heavy or long for beginners.  For more experienced athletes, it just depends on what your goal is and how you plan on getting there.  For the record, my coach made me do the longest bike ride of my life last year the day after I raced an Olympic.  Ouch!!!
2009-05-05 10:17 AM

User image

Davenport, IA

For me the "fear of downtime" is because I am a bit worried about what missing workouts in my HIM training is going to do to that race.  I think that training for this event is going to be a great learning experience.  I'm going to find out if I'm able to train and race at the same time and if that has any positive benefit to my HIM.  I'm so concerned with not being able to get my running to 13.1 miles by race day that I know I could be pushing too hard right now.  It's also making me think about what part of triathlon I enjoy.  I love the training, and I love racing, but I probably love racing a little bit more.  I'll be finding out if racing the half is worth it, especially on top of racing all the shorter distance races I want to do.  Because the more I think about it, the more I want to add more races to my schedule.

2009-05-05 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2131052

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
ADollar79 - 2009-05-05 10:54 AM
Lisa B - 2009-05-05 10:34 AM Forgot to mention - got my bike fixed up this weekend and I'm very happy with the results.  Ended up putting a 12-27 cassette on and just a new big chain ring as opposed to new crank.  Replaced the 53T with a 55T.  Love both changes.  On the long hilly ride this weekend I did not run out of gears going either up or down!

But can you push the 55 anywhere but downhill?  Arnett and I are both concerned about your efficiency    

Yes - honestly doesn't feel much different than the 53.  I think I only lost one gear in the middle.  I had reservations when I left the bike guys place and didn't even want to try it out - thought I would be in the small chain ring for a lot of my ride but that was not the case.  My average speed for the 56 miles was 17.1 that's with I believe 3800 feet of elevation gain.  Much faster than I was a year ago.

I will continue this week to try it and make sure I like it (before I buy it).  I can always go back if I want but don't think I will.  

The ride I did on Saturday was with a friend that is quite a bit stronger than me.  With my new cassette I ended up passing her a few times or at the very least closing a lot of distance on the big climbs.  Same with the downhills - she has the same bike but has a compact crank and she had to quit pedaling very early on the hills.  I was able again to gain ground.

2009-05-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2131072

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
ADollar79 - 2009-05-05 10:58 AM
Lisa B - 2009-05-05 10:32 AM Good topic - nutrition - I was going to ask about this today anyway.

A couple of questions---

1.  How much infinit did you take on the bike?  (Arnett's email might be directed at YOU)
I don't think his email was directed right at me cause I didn't tell him yet about this weekend Laughing and I don't consider it a complete failure - just need more learning time I think.  I drank about 2.5 bottles during 3:20 moving time.  I think I'm supposed to have a bottle every hour?  My infinit has around 240 calories per bottle.  But I was definitely drinking often and am not sure I could drink any more than that without being full.
Yes but only by about 30 mins.  I did 45 miles last Sunday.
3.  Do you think the run problems were a side effect on being run down the day before? 

More like run down from the entire week.  I did talk to Dan about this run cause it was really hard to get through and he said it was from having a big week of training.  Last week I hit close to 800 mins and the week before was around 640 and week before that even less.  I have tried the infinit on an 8 miler before and was fine but it was still coolish out - not humid like it was Sunday.  I guess generic question then would be should you be able to just drink infinit while doing a stand alone run or do you need to supplement?
2009-05-05 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2131125

User image

Expert
Ontario
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-05 11:17 AM

For me the "fear of downtime" is because I am a bit worried about what missing workouts in my HIM training is going to do to that race.  I think that training for this event is going to be a great learning experience.  I'm going to find out if I'm able to train and race at the same time and if that has any positive benefit to my HIM.  I'm so concerned with not being able to get my running to 13.1 miles by race day that I know I could be pushing too hard right now.  It's also making me think about what part of triathlon I enjoy.  I love the training, and I love racing, but I probably love racing a little bit more.  I'll be finding out if racing the half is worth it, especially on top of racing all the shorter distance races I want to do.  Because the more I think about it, the more I want to add more races to my schedule.

I think your race schedule looks good now with the 5 races in May/June then all of July to concentrate on your peak training before tapering the beginning of Aug for your HIM.  You could probably add another race or two in July but being sure that you'd still be able to get in your long bikes & runs in the HIM training plan.  Of course it all depends on your ability to recover from the shorter races.  I would wait a while before registering just to see how you feel.  My first season I felt I did too many shorter races and didn't train properly for my HIM because of lack of recovery/lack of time for long sessions.

Edited by cathyd 2009-05-05 12:00 PM
2009-05-05 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2131125

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I would say that it is a little too early to worry that a workout is going to kill you.  However, it is never too early to focus on recovery.  The thing is recovery is the time you get faster.  And improper recovery can lead to injury.  Also, keep in mind that the cumulative effect of racing and training will be felt in July/August.  Try not to kill yourself now so that you are ripe for you HIM. 

(Joe Friel just wrote an interesting blog on fatigue:  http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html )
2009-05-05 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2131446

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa B - 2009-05-05 12:56 PM

A couple of questions---

I don't think his email was directed right at me cause I didn't tell him yet about this weekend Laughing and I don't consider it a complete failure - just need more learning time I think.  I drank about 2.5 bottles during 3:20 moving time.  I think I'm supposed to have a bottle every hour?  My infinit has around 240 calories per bottle.  But I was definitely drinking often and am not sure I could drink any more than that without being full.
Yes but only by about 30 mins.  I did 45 miles last Sunday.

More like run down from the entire week.  I did talk to Dan about this run cause it was really hard to get through and he said it was from having a big week of training.  Last week I hit close to 800 mins and the week before was around 640 and week before that even less.  I have tried the infinit on an 8 miler before and was fine but it was still coolish out - not humid like it was Sunday.  I guess generic question then would be should you be able to just drink infinit while doing a stand alone run or do you need to supplement?

You definitely want to strive for at least a bottle an hour.  And depending on your sweat and absorption rate, you may want to up it even more.  Have you ever experimented with the proper amount of calories on the bike?  Per Arnett's email, 300kcal/hr is what you see most commonly prescribed.  So for 3:20 ride, you should shoot for 1000 calories.  At 2.5 bottles, you likely hit about 600 calories.  That leaves you approximately 400 short if you don't have a calculator handy.  As he mentioned, nutrition is deeply personal.  For instance, my formula is at 285 calories per bottle.  My body can handle around 330/hr.

I will say that Infinit takes some adapting to.  You kinda have to trust the formula to provide you with what you need.  Think about the full feeling.  Were you full?  Were you bloat?  Were you sloshing?  Did you just drink Infinit or did you also have a water bottle on the bike? 

You should be able to drink Infinit on the run without a problem.  I am fairly certain he used it at IMWI for the marathon.  I have personally never tried it.  I stick to gels on the run.  I would chalk up the run to the big volume week.  Also, did you recover well from the ride on Saturday?
2009-05-06 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
From time to time, I will post articles or research I come across in an effort to encourage you all to think about the different aspects that go into the sport.  Keep in mind that I personally take all of this with a grain of salt.  Only YOU know what is best for YOU.  Articles, research and coaching blogs often speak in general terms.  Some of it may be attributable to you...some may not.  However the more knowledge you have the better athlete you will become. 

Here is an article from runner's world on recovery meals.  I thought this was relevant to some of the discussion that Lisa B brought up.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=4006&v=1

NEVER underestimate the importance of a recovery meal.  As the article states, we deplete our glycogen stores and they need to be refueled.  I shirked this responsibility Sunday after my ride.  No wonder I feel even more beat this week.  Not recovering (time and food) will have an impact down the road on performance. 

Edited by ADollar79 2009-05-06 7:10 AM

2009-05-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2132697

User image

Davenport, IA
ADollar79 - 2009-05-05 7:16 PM

I would say that it is a little too early to worry that a workout is going to kill you.  However, it is never too early to focus on recovery.  The thing is recovery is the time you get faster.  And improper recovery can lead to injury.  Also, keep in mind that the cumulative effect of racing and training will be felt in July/August.  Try not to kill yourself now so that you are ripe for you HIM. 

(Joe Friel just wrote an interesting blog on fatigue:  http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html )

That blog was an interesting read. I completely see how what he's saying relates to me. For example, my swim on Monday...I felt like I was pushing the same effort I was a month ago, but my times were consistently 10-15secs/100yds slower. So my RPE for the same speed is a 6 now where it was a 4 a few weeks ago.
2009-05-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2133590

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Sprint_DA - 2009-05-06 9:24 AM

That blog was an interesting read. I completely see how what he's saying relates to me. For example, my swim on Monday...I felt like I was pushing the same effort I was a month ago, but my times were consistently 10-15secs/100yds slower. So my RPE for the same speed is a 6 now where it was a 4 a few weeks ago.

I feel the EXACT same way about my swimming.  Interesting blog, I'll have to look at it more closely.  The article on refueling was great too. I definatly eat A LOT and I'm never sure if it's because of my workouts or if I'm going overboard.

2009-05-06 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2133590

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-06 10:24 AM

The great thing about swimming is that it has relatively no impact on your joints.  So after a big race, you should get in the water a few times.  And from my experience, it is the best way to judge fatigue.  For instance, my workout the day after an HIM is typically 3-4 x 300.  The next day it is 5 x300.  On the first day, I struggle.  By the second day, my body is adapting.  But I often feel like I am swimming through jello.  The fact that my pace drops tells me that I am not ready to jump back into training.
2009-05-06 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2135263

User image

Davenport, IA
ADollar79 - 2009-05-06 7:35 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-06 10:24 AM

The great thing about swimming is that it has relatively no impact on your joints.  So after a big race, you should get in the water a few times.  And from my experience, it is the best way to judge fatigue.  For instance, my workout the day after an HIM is typically 3-4 x 300.  The next day it is 5 x300.  On the first day, I struggle.  By the second day, my body is adapting.  But I often feel like I am swimming through jello.  The fact that my pace drops tells me that I am not ready to jump back into training.

Yeah, probably should have hit the pool instead of that 2hr group ride the day after my race...but it was so nice out.
2009-05-07 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Hi all - sorry I have been MIA this week.  It's been a long week between having to take my kid for the last 4 days to and fro to a lifeguarding class not too close to home - he had to be there at 5:30 and not done till 10:00 pm each night and lots of training. 

Only update for me is that I realized (with the help of Dollar's comment here to me and lots of time on the phone with Dan) that I made a big mistake on my big chain ring.  After this weekend as I posted I thought I was happy with the 55T ring.  Now I'm screaming Uncle.  Did a ride on Tuesday that had quite a few flats on it (no flats on Saturday) and had a very hard time pushing the big ring.  I was either working way too hard and couldn't maintain or next gear down was way too easy and I was spinning over 100 rpm (and going nowhere fast).  And when I finished my legs were toast (this was all confirmed and double proven to me by  a bike interval session I did last night with my 53 back on and some serious struggling)  .  Dan helped me realize that I should be tucking and resting on the downhills and not worrying about pedaling and saving my legs for the run.  My bike was supposed to come with a compact crank and I called Cervelo yesterday and they are going to cover it under warranty.  So on Friday I'm going to have it installed and hope that my legs will thank me!

Dollar thanks for posting the stuff you did yesterday for us - I need to take some time today to look at it.  Hopefully the bosses won't show up for a while and I can do it now!  And good luck at Gulf Coast this weekend!  Can't wait to hear all about the race and gain some more experience through you!

2009-05-07 9:02 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Glad you've had the chance to play around with the gearing and discover it for yourself Lisa.  Also very good to hear that Cervelo is going to warranty that for you.  That's some good customer service.
2009-05-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2136064

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:02 AM Glad you've had the chance to play around with the gearing and discover it for yourself Lisa.  Also very good to hear that Cervelo is going to warranty that for you.  That's some good customer service.

Thanks for making that point about me discovering it myself and understanding.  Being stubborn I would not/did not listen to anyone before hand.  Just glad it only took me 3 rides to figure it out so I can get on with some good training.

As for Cervelo, I bought the bike from an out of state store and had some serious problems with receiving it.  I ended up calling Cervelo to complain and talked to a guy there that ended up getting me the bike (I'd probably still be waiting).  When I was having the gearing issues and through this thread found out that I had the wrong crank I was able to call him back and he remembered me.  Called him again yesterday and he said that normally by this point they would not have covered it under warranty (should have done it right away, although who would ever think that their bike came with the wrong components - again doesn't say much for the shop I bought it from) but since I have talked with him and had problems they would go ahead and cover it.  So yeah - great customer service!
2009-05-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2136108

User image

Davenport, IA
Lisa B - 2009-05-07 9:17 AM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:02 AM Glad you've had the chance to play around with the gearing and discover it for yourself Lisa.  Also very good to hear that Cervelo is going to warranty that for you.  That's some good customer service.

Thanks for making that point about me discovering it myself and understanding.  Being stubborn I would not/did not listen to anyone before hand.  Just glad it only took me 3 rides to figure it out so I can get on with some good training.

As for Cervelo, I bought the bike from an out of state store and had some serious problems with receiving it.  I ended up calling Cervelo to complain and talked to a guy there that ended up getting me the bike (I'd probably still be waiting).  When I was having the gearing issues and through this thread found out that I had the wrong crank I was able to call him back and he remembered me.  Called him again yesterday and he said that normally by this point they would not have covered it under warranty (should have done it right away, although who would ever think that their bike came with the wrong components - again doesn't say much for the shop I bought it from) but since I have talked with him and had problems they would go ahead and cover it.  So yeah - great customer service!

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I do think you'll end up liking the compact.  From what I've heard, a lot of people do.  Some day I want to try one, but there are a lot of other things I want to try first.
And you must have been very impressive with your complaints if someone remembered you several months later.
2009-05-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2136235

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:57 AM
Lisa B - 2009-05-07 9:17 AM

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I do think you'll end up liking the compact.  From what I've heard, a lot of people do.  Some day I want to try one, but there are a lot of other things I want to try first.
And you must have been very impressive with your complaints if someone remembered you several months later.

I will refrain from the giant I told you so and instead rub it in your face next time I see you. 

I am glad that you got to experiment with the larger crank earlier in the season.  And I am glad you decided against it quickly.  As I mentioned a few posts back, it is hard to imagine that you needed help on both ends of the spectrum.  Don't sell yourself too short.  You can probably push the 53/39 just fine.  Again, the move from a compact to a TT is a jump and does take some time to get used to.

Last night I hopped on my road bike for only the 2nd time in about 9 months.  It was SO easy to get up the hills.  I just cracked myself up when I was holding a cadence of 85+ uphill. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  

of 15