General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-07-15 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2115456

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread
No need for shoes, it's like any other tri where you have to run to transition. There will be pebbles and debris, but when do you ever notice that? I took a water bottle last year to rinse my feet, you can do that to ensure nothing is trapped in your shoes.

2009-07-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2287817

User image

Long Island, NY
JMK-Brooklyn - Some great insight given, thanks!

I was a volunteer last year at the exit of red T2, so I got to see many aspects of the race. I am thinking of removing my wetsuit BEFORE I start my run to the bike. I saw only a few people do this last year, but I think it is more efficient. I can understand why someone would want to get out of the Hudson andd start running immediately, but running with a wetsuit on has to be slower than running with it off. If you drap it over your shoulder, it will cause minimal hinderance and you should be good to go.

As you said before, there isn't carpeting on the long run to transition, however, I don't see why they can't get some. For those that are old enough to remember, for many years the NYC Marathon had carpeting on the Queensboro bridge (sponsored by Dupont) and that was over a mile. I bet that is sitting in some warehouse somewhere!

Here are some important highlights from JMK-Brooklyn's postings:

- Footwear needed to walk to swim start
- At the swim exit, don't stand in the water until you feel the ladder
- Hold on to goggles when jumping in, can't warm up and outside 'lanes' are faster
- Drink water/sportdrink when exiting T2. No stations until Central Park

Any thoughts on when to take off the wetsuit?

Thanks!!
2009-07-16 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
i agree, i was planning on removing the wettie as soon as possible out of the water, i agree that it will be an easier run without it on.

2009-07-16 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2289301

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
MarioJW - 2009-07-16 10:31 AM

JMK-Brooklyn - Some great insight given, thanks!

I was a volunteer last year at the exit of red T2, so I got to see many aspects of the race. I am thinking of removing my wetsuit BEFORE I start my run to the bike. I saw only a few people do this last year, but I think it is more efficient. I can understand why someone would want to get out of the Hudson andd start running immediately, but running with a wetsuit on has to be slower than running with it off. If you drap it over your shoulder, it will cause minimal hinderance and you should be good to go.

As you said before, there isn't carpeting on the long run to transition, however, I don't see why they can't get some. For those that are old enough to remember, for many years the NYC Marathon had carpeting on the Queensboro bridge (sponsored by Dupont) and that was over a mile. I bet that is sitting in some warehouse somewhere!

Here are some important highlights from JMK-Brooklyn's postings:

- Footwear needed to walk to swim start
- At the swim exit, don't stand in the water until you feel the ladder
- Hold on to goggles when jumping in, can't warm up and outside 'lanes' are faster
- Drink water/sportdrink when exiting T2. No stations until Central Park

Any thoughts on when to take off the wetsuit?

Thanks!!

I’ve read some articles that say that in general, it’s slightly faster to remove wetsuits as soon as you get out of the water, as opposed to waiting until you get to your rack in T1. The suits are still soaked with water and are more pliable and therefore easier to remove. I tried it once last year in a sprint and I think it made a few seconds difference at most. I’d say if you’re worried about the podium, it’s worth considering, but if not, just do the run with your suit pulled down to your hips.

I know that we have been told to dissuade people from taking their suits off at swim exit, just to prevent crowding. Imagine if you have 30 or 40 athletes all struggling to pull their suits off at the top of the ramp, while the rest of the field is trying to run past them, and while you’ve got cyclists coming towards them from the other direction?

Wow—I don’t remember the carpeting on the bridge at all! I have a volunteer meeting tomorrow, so I’ll mention it. But like LazyMarathoner said, I don’t think it’s an issue at all. The path will be swept multiple times. Every race has a barefoot run from point-a to point-b at some point, and there’s almost always sand or gravel or other debris to contend with.
2009-07-16 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
While taking the wetsuit off before the run sounds good on paper, I think you'll see on race day that T1 is better. If you stop on the path you're either going to be blocking those running to T1 behind you or you'll be in the path of those biking out. IMHO it's best to do it in a place that's free and clear of others' progress, which would be your spot in T1.

Don't stress about the lack of carpet. Only the IM brand races I've done have had carpets, otherwise I've run to transtion on all sorts of surfaces. Your mind will not be on it one bit, and it's not an unsafe path. It's just concrete with some pebbles.

Should be a good time!

2009-07-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2289445

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-07-16 12:18 PM
MarioJW - 2009-07-16 10:31 AM JMK-Brooklyn - Some great insight given, thanks! I was a volunteer last year at the exit of red T2, so I got to see many aspects of the race. I am thinking of removing my wetsuit BEFORE I start my run to the bike. I saw only a few people do this last year, but I think it is more efficient. I can understand why someone would want to get out of the Hudson andd start running immediately, but running with a wetsuit on has to be slower than running with it off. If you drap it over your shoulder, it will cause minimal hinderance and you should be good to go. As you said before, there isn't carpeting on the long run to transition, however, I don't see why they can't get some. For those that are old enough to remember, for many years the NYC Marathon had carpeting on the Queensboro bridge (sponsored by Dupont) and that was over a mile. I bet that is sitting in some warehouse somewhere! Here are some important highlights from JMK-Brooklyn's postings: - Footwear needed to walk to swim start - At the swim exit, don't stand in the water until you feel the ladder - Hold on to goggles when jumping in, can't warm up and outside 'lanes' are faster - Drink water/sportdrink when exiting T2. No stations until Central Park Any thoughts on when to take off the wetsuit? Thanks!!
I’ve read some articles that say that in general, it’s slightly faster to remove wetsuits as soon as you get out of the water, as opposed to waiting until you get to your rack in T1. The suits are still soaked with water and are more pliable and therefore easier to remove. I tried it once last year in a sprint and I think it made a few seconds difference at most. I’d say if you’re worried about the podium, it’s worth considering, but if not, just do the run with your suit pulled down to your hips. I know that we have been told to dissuade people from taking their suits off at swim exit, just to prevent crowding. Imagine if you have 30 or 40 athletes all struggling to pull their suits off at the top of the ramp, while the rest of the field is trying to run past them, and while you’ve got cyclists coming towards them from the other direction? Wow—I don’t remember the carpeting on the bridge at all! I have a volunteer meeting tomorrow, so I’ll mention it. But like LazyMarathoner said, I don’t think it’s an issue at all. The path will be swept multiple times. Every race has a barefoot run from point-a to point-b at some point, and there’s almost always sand or gravel or other debris to contend with.

Oops, didn't see this. My point exactly The path is narrow and split between swim exit and bike out, I wouldn't stop there unless it was totally necessary. Glad they are communicating that message at least!

2009-07-16 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
I went to a tri forum a few months ago and they told stories about leaving shoes under benches etc. since the run to transition was so uncomfortable.  I thought putting them inside my wetsuit might work, although I was going to try it in the pool first.  Were they just being woosies and I should just forget it?
2009-07-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2289533

User image

N Y C
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-16 12:54 PM

Were they just being woosies and I should just forget it?

YES - it's not like you have to run across hot coal...it isn't worth worrying about and certainly not worth swimming with flip-flops in your suit.
2009-07-16 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Even though I don't know most of you, I just learned that I'll officially be in the registration area somewhere on Saturday.  Feel free to say "hi" to a big guy named Shawn if you see him (and then explain why you know me because, knowing me, I'll probably be all sorts of confused when you do!).  

Just in case I forget to do this next week - best of luck to everyone! 
2009-07-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2289523

User image

Long Island, NY
Some good points to consider, creating blockage at the swim exit, etc. Will have to think about that. Since I am in the red transition, maybe I will just run with it on.

I am concerned about the podium, I don't want to trip over it! :-)

As far as the discussion of the concrete between the the swim exit and transition, I am not so concerned about debris and pebbles, its that it is very hard on barefeet! I am never barefoot, even around the house (always wear my birks). The soles of my feet be complaining, but I guess as they say, HTFU!

Thanks for all your input.
2009-07-16 12:39 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
Obviously, I don't know your circumstances, but if you feel you need to run in something, I would slip flip-flops or water shoes in you wetsuit. But for me, it sounds it is not worth it.

It is something that should be practiced before hand. Be interested to know what you decide.

Good luck!

2009-07-16 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-16 11:54 AM

I went to a tri forum a few months ago and they told stories about leaving shoes under benches etc. since the run to transition was so uncomfortable.  I thought putting them inside my wetsuit might work, although I was going to try it in the pool first.  Were they just being woosies and I should just forget it?

In a word, yes.

If you put shoes under a bench, you'll have to cross into the path of oncoming cyclists to get them(the benches are on the other side of the path from the swim exit), and if you leave them along the rail, they'll be moved by volunteers because they'll be int the way.

Listen, THOUSANDS of people have done this race over the past several year. I can't remember hearing one account of someone getting injured by stepping on debris during T1. Read the RR's from the previous years' race. I can't recall anyone even mentioning it.
2009-07-16 1:08 PM

Monroe, NY
I was in the Yellow transition last year and I am in it again this year. Personally I don't think you need shoes. The pavement is smooth enough and for the first portion you are recovering from the swim, pulling down your wetsuit top, and thanking god you made it out of the water. Have an extra water bottle in transition to wash your feet. As a disclaimer I made the mistake of stepping in the Hudson mud before the ramp so my feet may have been numb.
2009-07-16 1:16 PM

User image

I plan to go barefoot -- I've never had any problems on transitions, and don't have particularly tough feet.  But maybe this is a solution?

http://www.rei.com/product/783340

The Vibram water shoes are skin tight and would help w/ the run.  Not sure if they're race legal, but I don't see why they wouldn't be -- they won't help at all in the water; if anything, they'll weigh you down a bit.  E.
2009-07-18 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
The Hudson River was nice today (well, as nice as the Hudson can be). The water is really warm, I was actually a bit hot. There was a good amount of chop so it was a fun swim. A lot of diesel unfortunately. The current didn't feel as strong as I was hoping for, but I was still able to average 1:19/100 so I can't complain!
2009-07-18 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2293254

User image

I second those comments, I'm considering doing the swim for the triathlon in a shorty wetsuit - it'll be easier to get on and off and less restrictive. The water was ~74F today. The water quality was fine, it was murky but the only things I bumped into were other swimmers.

One tip I've heard from at least three people now (maybe on this forum?, I forget) is to hold on to the barge as soon as you get in for the swim. The current's strong enough that if you let go before the start then you probably won't get back, and it's suck to be DQ'd right at the start.

2009-07-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2293627

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
philjlee - 2009-07-18 5:41 PM I second those comments, I'm considering doing the swim for the triathlon in a shorty wetsuit - it'll be easier to get on and off and less restrictive. The water was ~74F today. The water quality was fine, it was murky but the only things I bumped into were other swimmers. One tip I've heard from at least three people now (maybe on this forum?, I forget) is to hold on to the barge as soon as you get in for the swim. The current's strong enough that if you let go before the start then you probably won't get back, and it's suck to be DQ'd right at the start.

I caught some floater bits in my mouth, yuck! But it's just grass and wood usually. There is a rope you can hang onto. I sat on the barge until the gun last year and then jumped in since not everyone fits on the rope. I may go with my sleeveless suit, I want practice in my full sleeve for the IM but the swim is so fast I don't really need it. Depends on the water temp next week.
2009-07-21 12:15 PM

User image

N Y C
Looking at the weather report...calls for T-Showers on Sunday....I'm glad I don't usually have much faith in those reports!
2009-07-21 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
I saw that too.  I won't bike in the rain.  Falling is too big of a risk for me.  I hope it doesn't rain.  Good thing reports are always wrong.
2009-07-21 1:27 PM

User image

Ugh, there's also sewage runoff issues if it rains heavily on Saturday...  Fingers crossed!!!
2009-07-21 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
Saturday is forcast to be nice.  Fingers crossed indeed.  Is there gonna be a BT meetup at the underwear run?

2009-07-21 2:17 PM

The weather report concerns me.  But then I remember that up until last week, they predicted rain basically every day all summer, and most of the time all we got were overcast, cool days, with maybe a small drizzle thrown in there.  I'm hoping Sunday will be more of that!
2009-07-21 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2299255

User image

drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-21 2:57 PM Saturday is forcast to be nice.  Fingers crossed indeed.  Is there gonna be a BT meetup at the underwear run?

I'm not doing the underwear run, but will be out and about on Saturday dropping off bike, etc.  but I'm happy to do a meetup!  E.
2009-07-21 3:31 PM

User image

N Y C
Yeah, the only place I'm running in my underwear on Friday is off to bed...sleep on Saturday night will be tough. Last year, zero (0, nothing, nada) - I layed in bed with my eyes wide open.
2009-07-21 7:12 PM

I hope it doesn't rain! I tried to ride tonight and I was drenched and uphappy after 30 minutes.
I don't know how I managed to avoid training rides in the rain.

For those of you who've done races or even training in the rain, do you wear a rain jacket or do you just suck it up?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12