BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2563913

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
Ok Emily and rest of you, I am getting smart in my old age and figured out how to log the calories in there. I hope it doesn't take as long once I get going on that after a few days. I would perfer if you log your nutrition both ways that way it prevents a lot of clicking back and forth but I understand the whole time thing, but once again I've only told a few of you to log your nutrition it's optional to the rest of you. I think we know by now Emily wins the award for being the most creative with her food.  I don't even think we have a Japanese restaurant in Gun Barrel City or any surrounding areas close.

I've also posted a blog with a few off-season pictures and stuff on my blog page. Seems like there was something else I was gonna tell the rest of you but one again I've had a lapse in memory, so if I think of it I will post later. Oh yeah I signed up for Lone Star 70.3 in Galveston (April 25th) and Buffalo Springs 70.3 (June 27th). I have also entered the North Texas Tri Series with Play Tri (playtri.com) that features 4 races with (2 sprints/2 oly for me). I'll have a few more I'll register for later as affordability allows.

Ok here is what I meant to tell you, if you want a more precise measurment if your not sure if your eating enough (which I have seen) or eating too much, then go to www.mypyramid.gov and log your nutrition there too! We did this in school a few years ago.

Edited by triritter 2009-12-30 7:12 AM

2009-12-31 7:07 AM

User image

Tyler,
Hey guys, I am heading out of town tomorrow morning early from Jan 1st-10th. I don't know how much internet I will have but will respond to questions if I can, if not post your questions anyway and I'll respond when I get back. Everybody have a Happy New Year!!!!!
2009-12-31 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2585729

User image

New user

triritter - 2009-12-31 7:07 AM Hey guys, I am heading out of town tomorrow morning early from Jan 1st-10th. I don't know how much internet I will have but will respond to questions if I can, if not post your questions anyway and I'll respond when I get back. Everybody have a Happy New Year!!!!!

William enjoy your time away be nice to your Mom. I got registered for 3 races. Galveston sprint April 24th, Playtri Fest olympic June 6th, and Stonebridge olympic Sept 26th. Got a few more we can talk about when you get back.

Happy New Years to ALL!!!!

Lance
2010-01-01 9:08 PM

Happy new year to all!So, quick question, anybody have experience/opinion on the pose method of running? I did some reading, and incorporated some of the main concepts in my run/walks. It's a bit remarkable how much easier running is at first blush.
2010-01-01 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2588566

User image

Veteran
muddycreek - 2010-01-01 10:08 PM Happy new year to all!So, quick question, anybody have experience/opinion on the pose method of running? I did some reading, and incorporated some of the main concepts in my run/walks. It's a bit remarkable how much easier running is at first blush.

Nope, never heard of it, actually. What's the premise?
2010-01-02 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2588733

eca712 - 2010-01-01 11:16 PM
muddycreek - 2010-01-01 10:08 PM Happy new year to all!So, quick question, anybody have experience/opinion on the pose method of running? I did some reading, and incorporated some of the main concepts in my run/walks. It's a bit remarkable how much easier running is at first blush.

Nope, never heard of it, actually. What's the premise?
It's easier to look up 'POSE running' or 'POSE running diagram' than to explain it, but in short, it's basically shorter strides, with the active portion shifting from thrusting forward with your back foot ONTO your front foot, to leaning forward and LIFTING your back foot just to fall back onto it. Sort of a controlled topple. You also don't let your front foot get much ahead of you, hence the shorter stride. Want to go faster? lean more. It also emphasizes the midfoot strike, and gets rid of the long 'reach forward and heel strike' because of two concerns- one, injury from impact, and two, loss of momentum as you're slowed by your heel hitting the ground way out front. There's more to it, but it seems sound.Jon

2010-01-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2583358

User image

Veteran
StrayDog - 2009-12-30 12:39 AM Phillip:
Cheers mate. Not so bad, you'll be home soon. Xmas was just another day in time for you there but when you do come home it will feel twice as good. I missed a couple of xmas's myself in the military. Chin Up!

Emily:
I would like to get the recip for the eggplant red pepper spread. Do you make it yourself? Do you have any other spread recip's. I am always looking for alternatives to commercial spreads.

William:
I am about to run out of my training plan. I was wondering if I should be looking for something in particular in a training plan. Originially I just randomly picked one and they were a little over the top. Then I went for the goal oriented approach (running an Oly distance so I picked an Olympic training program) How shoud I approach this? And should I split training plans due to winter and then pick up another plan whent I get closer to an actual race? 
-----
Jeff 

Hey Jeff, so sorry, just realized I never responded to this! The eggplant-red pepper spread is really easy. For one batch (I usually make two and then eat for a couple of weeks- it will keep in the fridge), preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take one medium/large eggplant, peel it, and chop it into 1-2" cubes.
- Take two red peppers, seed them, and chop them into 1-2" chunks.
- Peel and chop one red onion into 1-2" chunks.
- Peel a few (2-4) cloves of garlic.
- Toss everything with olive oil (just enough to lightly coat), salt, and pepper.
- Place in a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan big enough so that there is only one layer of veggies.
- Roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes- until the vegetables are soft and lightly charred (although I've left them in there for longer, and it really doesn't matter if they get a little overdone).  Move the veggies around once or twice while they're roasting to make sure they cook evenly.
- Then take everything, dump it in a food processor, and pulse a few times (if you want it to be chunky, like a dip- this is how I do it, and then spread it on toast for lunch) or blend thoroughly (if you want it to a smooth spread).
2010-01-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2588960

User image

New user

eca712 - 2010-01-02 8:41 AM
StrayDog - 2009-12-30 12:39 AM Phillip:
Cheers mate. Not so bad, you'll be home soon. Xmas was just another day in time for you there but when you do come home it will feel twice as good. I missed a couple of xmas's myself in the military. Chin Up!

Emily:
I would like to get the recip for the eggplant red pepper spread. Do you make it yourself? Do you have any other spread recip's. I am always looking for alternatives to commercial spreads.

William:
I am about to run out of my training plan. I was wondering if I should be looking for something in particular in a training plan. Originially I just randomly picked one and they were a little over the top. Then I went for the goal oriented approach (running an Oly distance so I picked an Olympic training program) How shoud I approach this? And should I split training plans due to winter and then pick up another plan whent I get closer to an actual race? 
-----
Jeff 

Hey Jeff, so sorry, just realized I never responded to this! The eggplant-red pepper spread is really easy. For one batch (I usually make two and then eat for a couple of weeks- it will keep in the fridge), preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take one medium/large eggplant, peel it, and chop it into 1-2" cubes.
- Take two red peppers, seed them, and chop them into 1-2" chunks.
- Peel and chop one red onion into 1-2" chunks.
- Peel a few (2-4) cloves of garlic.
- Toss everything with olive oil (just enough to lightly coat), salt, and pepper.
- Place in a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan big enough so that there is only one layer of veggies.
- Roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes- until the vegetables are soft and lightly charred (although I've left them in there for longer, and it really doesn't matter if they get a little overdone).  Move the veggies around once or twice while they're roasting to make sure they cook evenly.
- Then take everything, dump it in a food processor, and pulse a few times (if you want it to be chunky, like a dip- this is how I do it, and then spread it on toast for lunch) or blend thoroughly (if you want it to a smooth spread).

Sounds good and easy enough I might have to try that one.  Thanks Emily
Lance

2010-01-03 7:50 PM

User image

Tyler,
How did everyone's week go?  I am Tuscon, AZ right now. Not doing much sbr though, just taking time to site see and stuff. Did climb a big rock today and didn't fall so that was good. 

2010-01-03 7:51 PM

User image

New user

How is everyone's new year going?  Is everyone ready for a healthy year of training?
Went for a ride yesterday and stopped with a group of 3 other riders.  We were resting a minute and all of the sudden over I went right into the middle of rode.  No reason just fell over. Good thing there were no cars coming.  The mental note I made was unclip BOTH shoes when you stop for what ever reason.  All is good and everyone had a good laugh... at my expense, which is fine by me. Wasn't my first and won't be the last.
Have a good one
Lance
2010-01-03 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2591424

User image

Veteran
lvernon - 2010-01-03 8:51 PM How is everyone's new year going?  Is everyone ready for a healthy year of training?
Went for a ride yesterday and stopped with a group of 3 other riders.  We were resting a minute and all of the sudden over I went right into the middle of rode.  No reason just fell over. Good thing there were no cars coming.  The mental note I made was unclip BOTH shoes when you stop for what ever reason.  All is good and everyone had a good laugh... at my expense, which is fine by me. Wasn't my first and won't be the last.
Have a good one
Lance

Hahaha glad you're OK! Have to admit, that must have been funny to witness. :)

The next week is going to be tough in terms of workouts and filling in logs. My paper is going strong at 130 pages, but in order to finish by Friday (due date), I'm going to have to work on it just about nonstop. Not loving life right now. But I just have to push through- and then the semester starts! Wooooo-actually, not so much.

All right, break is over, back to work. Have a good week, everyone. Talk to you soon.

2010-01-03 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2591645

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-01-03 10:00 PM
lvernon - 2010-01-03 8:51 PM How is everyone's new year going?  Is everyone ready for a healthy year of training?
Have a good one
Lance

Hahaha glad you're OK! Have to admit, that must have been funny to witness.

The next week is going to be tough in terms of workouts and filling in logs. My paper is going strong at 130 pages, but in order to finish by Friday (due date), I'm going to have to work on it just about nonstop. Not loving life right now. But I just have to push through- and then the semester starts! Wooooo-actually, not so much.

All right, break is over, back to work. Have a good week, everyone. Talk to you soon.

Good luck on your paper. i'll be thinking about you while I don't have any school work....yet!
2010-01-04 1:31 AM
in reply to: #2588960

User image

Veteran
Emily:
That sounds like it tastes great! I don't even like eggplant, but with the garlic I'll bet it really good. Thanks for putting that out there.
---
Jeff
2010-01-04 1:44 AM

User image

Veteran
lvernon - 2010-01-04 5:51 PM How is everyone's new year going?  Is everyone ready for a healthy year of training?
Have a good one
Lance

Glad your ok. No biggie I am guessing. However, since the subject of clips came up. I was wondering. What kind of clips/ pedals should I get as a beginner? I have been doing all of my rides in my running shoes. I am ready to move up. Also, I have been thinking of purchasing a new bike. I have a Trek in mind but I am not too sure about the gear/ chainring system. I think it comes equipped with a "Sora" derailler. Has anyone used one? I hear shimano dura ace is pretty good, any thoughts there?
----
Jeff
2010-01-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2591769

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

Glad your ok. No biggie I am guessing. However, since the subject of clips came up. I was wondering. What kind of clips/ pedals should I get as a beginner? I have been doing all of my rides in my running shoes. I am ready to move up. Also, I have been thinking of purchasing a new bike. I have a Trek in mind but I am not too sure about the gear/ chainring system. I think it comes equipped with a "Sora" derailler. Has anyone used one? I hear shimano dura ace is pretty good, any thoughts there?
----
Jeff

Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace.  quality increases in that order for shimano.  rule of thumb is to not go lower than 105 if you can.  doesn't mean sora and tiagra won't get the job done...just 105 is considered entry level for most quality road bikes.  above that, the cost/gain comparison begins to blur, depending on who you ask of course.  sram is a nother big drive train maker.  groups are Rival, Force, Red.  quality also increases in that order i believe.

pedals....same rule applies for shimano pedals.  you can pick up 105 pedals for 80-100 bucks and they come with cleats i think.  i have Look pedals on my bike.  just got new ones as a matter of fact (look keo classic, about the same price point as 105's, maybe 10-20bucks).  look online for sales, or your LBS might be able to match a price.
2010-01-04 12:15 PM

User image

Tyler,
You will be completely fine biking in running shoes, however you will probably be more tired and less efficient compared to other riders who have similar fitness to you. 

you will be fine with 105 probably. I have ultegra on my road bike and dura-ace on my tri bike. The DA shifts faster and smoother than ultegra. I dont have problems DA with the chain popping off if I shift from the small ring to the big ring in a high cog as compared to ultegra...but my road bike probably isn't as adjusted well and everything.  It all depends what you want to get out of it too and what your budget can afford. 

2010-01-04 12:17 PM

User image

Tyler,
lvernon - 2010-01-03 7:51 PMHow is everyone's new year going?  Is everyone ready for a healthy year of training?
Have a good one
Lance
I think I've you told you before to come unclipped before you stop : ) Glad you didn't hurt the other riders or your bike.
2010-01-04 12:18 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of price range... and this time of year you can sometimes get a really good deal on a bike that is a 2009...

I just got a felt b12 a couple of months ago with all ultegra components for like 40% off retail... Not to be too nosy, but whats your budget? That might really help some of us point you in the right direction... also what type of events do you want to compete in mostly?

Mike
2010-01-04 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2592682

User image

Veteran
mcassat - 2010-01-05 10:18 AM Really depends on what you are looking for in terms of price range... and this time of year you can sometimes get a really good deal on a bike that is a 2009...

I just got a felt b12 a couple of months ago with all ultegra components for like 40% off retail... Not to be too nosy, but whats your budget? That might really help some of us point you in the right direction... also what type of events do you want to compete in mostly?

Mike

~$1000-2000 for a really decent tri bike. I mainly want to compete in sprints and oly level. However, I would also like to attack and perform well in a HIM.
----
Jeff
2010-01-05 12:23 AM
in reply to: #2592668

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2010-01-05 10:15 AM You will be completely fine biking in running shoes, however you will probably be more tired and less efficient compared to other riders who have similar fitness to you. 

you will be fine with 105 probably. I have ultegra on my road bike and dura-ace on my tri bike. The DA shifts faster and smoother than ultegra. I dont have problems DA with the chain popping off if I shift from the small ring to the big ring in a high cog as compared to ultegra...but my road bike probably isn't as adjusted well and everything.  It all depends what you want to get out of it too and what your budget can afford. 

Good info. I don't want somebody in my age group to beat me because my legs are tired. GRRRRR! I am looking for a mid range shoe tomorrow. I want to try this fatigue problem out on the spin bike. Thanks William.
----
Jeff
2010-01-05 9:35 AM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Jeff-

My wife just picked up a felt b16, which is a high mod carbon frame with 105 components except the bar end shifters which are dura ace for $1600... she likes it a lot... You can get into all ultegra components on a bike for the low 2000's on a 2009 from what we saw.  Our local bike shop even had an orbea with ultegra for around 2300.  The felt bike was the only high mod carbon frame i found for under 2000$. We also looked at giant, trek, specialized and they didnt really offer a comparable bike in that range.

2010-01-05 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2591769

self-edit; I just asked all the questions you've already answered...If you have a tri store locally, or at least a good roadie shop, you might want to look into the option of having them build you up a tri bike with a mix of new and used parts- you can spend $1200 plus $100-200 for a build and fit and end up with a $2500 bike, if you look hard enough.

Edited by muddycreek 2010-01-05 6:39 PM
2010-01-05 6:50 PM

User image

Tyler,
Good info guys! I rock  the Orbea Ordu.

This break I am on making me hungry for triathlon season, ready to be back so I can get ready to whoop someone this spring but also I'd rather stay out here and do it I am around 7000ft altitude right now, so if you know any decent jobs out this way near sedona/flagstaff AZ that would be great

2010-01-05 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2596358

User image

Veteran
muddycreek - 2010-01-06 4:36 PM self-edit; I just asked all the questions you've already answered...If you have a tri store locally, or at least a good roadie shop, you might want to look into the option of having them build you up a tri bike with a mix of new and used parts- you can spend $1200 plus $100-200 for a build and fit and end up with a $2500 bike, if you look hard enough.

Great suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. I am going ask John (local cycle guy) about that tomorrow.
---
Jeff
2010-01-06 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Just completed my 2010 bike Lactate Threshold Test. Kicked my arse. Is interesting the my HR zones actually decreased over last year. For example last year Z1 was 108-131, this year it is 104-127. Is this a good indication or have a I lost something?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17