BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-04-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2788028

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
michwea - 2010-04-13 10:04 AM Question for the group... I realize that everyone is in the thick of training for specific events, but other than a couple of running races on the schedule, I'm working my way toward my first tri (if all goes well this week, it will be my first time in the pool).  Anyway, a couple of questions about recovery.  Do you schedule a specific day of active or passive recovery in your training?  Some plans seem to advocate taking Mondays for recovery, some Fridays before your weekend long runs, rides or bricks.  Thoughts?  Preferences? 

Especially as I add swimming to my schedule, I'm a little concerned about being able to keep it all in balance.  Seems like scheduling regular recovery might be the best way to accomplish this.

An active/ passive recovery day is always a good idea.  Sandwich it around the weekend...the day shoud be whatever one works best for you though.  I typically use Fridays as a semi rest day but you need to do what works best for yourself.

2010-04-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I'm on a roll today   I wanted to do 10 commandments to swim by but ended up with 13 of them...

1.  Thou shalt swim from the core
2.  Thou shalt not overrotate...you must be 45 degrees in the water to pull....NOT 90!!
3.  Thou shalt keep the stroke LONG
4.  Thou shalt practic drills that are hated and despised because they WILL make you focus on your form...yes, Babs...the more hated the drill the more it is needed
5.  Thou shalt keep thy head in neutral position!
6.  Thou shalt engage the lats by reaching long, over a barrel and staying streamlined.
7.  Thou shalt THINK while swimming...ENGAGE THY BRAIN with thy BOD!
8.. Thou shalt have FUN.  Thanks, Lynne....
9.  Thou shalt do sprints because that which does not kill you will strengthen you.
10.  Thou shalt not cross over in front of thy head upon entry.
11.  Thou shalt keep thy hands relaxed and swimmeth with "relaxed power"!
12.  Thou shalt count my strokes per length because it gives direct feedback to how efficiently I'm swimming...thanks rstock!!
13.  "Thou shalt breathe on both sides because you will get hit in the face with a wave otherwise" ...many thanks, Jen!

Edited by QueenZipp 2010-04-13 11:03 AM
2010-04-13 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2785499

User image

Expert
retiretotri - 2010-04-12 12:04 PM

Wow, I need to catch up on all of the posts!

Schedule for the week is 3 run/walks, 2-3 bikes, 2 swims, 2 yoga sessions, and 2 strength sessions. 

I do have a question.  What is everyone using for a bike saddle?  I currently have a Terry Butterfly Tri saddle.  I think I need a new one and would like to consider some different options.  I do need gel and need some padding.  Anyone have a saddle that you just love?

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Ahh, I saw your question yesterday and meant to check it out, but I totally forgot.  Mine was whatever my bike came with, though. . .

If I remember tonight, I'll check my bike and report back!

2010-04-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2786686

User image

Expert
disturbed275 - 2010-04-12 7:18 PM
yogachic - 2010-04-12 7:40 AM

Yikes, I actually have to practice drinking on the bike!  My first race, I crashed my bike trying to drink while riding (I'd only gotten in a couple of rides before doing my 1st race; before then it'd been years since I'd been on a bike.  So my bike handling skills were pretty bad, but I still finished the race despite the crash!)  After that, for my other races I either pulled over to drink, or just drank in transition.  Obviously that's not gonna fly for my HIM, so I have to practice drinking while riding. . . Hopefully by now my bike handling skills are much better so I don't crash Embarassed

Yeah practice will definitely help you here.  The more you do it the more it becomes just a natural motion.  Carrie brought up a good point about aero bottles.  I use one just for the convenience of not having to reach down and pull a bottle out.  Instead the straws are right there.  You just have to be careful with bumpy surfaces.

Also, our nutritionist did say it is more beneficial to consume small, but frequent volumes as opposed to gulping down 16oz every hour.  Your body can only process so much at once.  Setting a watch or something to remind you is a great idea.  I'm guilty of the gulping thing as I can easily zone out or if I'm dealing with some particularly nasty crosswinds and don't want to reach for anything other than the bullhorns.  The last HIM I did there was 30mph winds and rain my nutrition plan went out the window since I was trying just to survive.

I actually learned from that first race that it's not a good idea to drink on the bike when there are 35 mph side winds and you're going up the biggest hill on the course.  Foot in mouth  Lol, but yes, I think I'm going to get an aero bottle - thanks for the suggestion!  . . . but first I need to put aerobars on my road bike! 
2010-04-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2788190

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-04-13 10:56 AM
michwea - 2010-04-13 10:04 AM Question for the group... I realize that everyone is in the thick of training for specific events, but other than a couple of running races on the schedule, I'm working my way toward my first tri (if all goes well this week, it will be my first time in the pool).  Anyway, a couple of questions about recovery.  Do you schedule a specific day of active or passive recovery in your training?  Some plans seem to advocate taking Mondays for recovery, some Fridays before your weekend long runs, rides or bricks.  Thoughts?  Preferences? 

Especially as I add swimming to my schedule, I'm a little concerned about being able to keep it all in balance.  Seems like scheduling regular recovery might be the best way to accomplish this.

An active/ passive recovery day is always a good idea.  Sandwich it around the weekend...the day shoud be whatever one works best for you though.  I typically use Fridays as a semi rest day but you need to do what works best for yourself.

That's what I do, too. . . I generally take Fridays as either a full rest day, or a semi-rest day where I just go to yoga or do an easy swim or a short run.  Nothing that will tired me out too much, since I usually do my long run on Sat mornings and my long ride on Sundays.

I will usually also just take an extra rest day if I feel like I need it. . . I'd rather miss a few workouts in favor of extra rest rather than be out for the rest of the season due to overtraining or an injury!
2010-04-13 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2788213

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-04-13 11:02 AM

I'm on a roll today   I wanted to do 10 commandments to swim by but ended up with 13 of them...

1.  Thou shalt swim from the core
2.  Thou shalt not overrotate...you must be 45 degrees in the water to pull....NOT 90!!
3.  Thou shalt keep the stroke LONG
4.  Thou shalt practic drills that are hated and despised because they WILL make you focus on your form...yes, Babs...the more hated the drill the more it is needed
5.  Thou shalt keep thy head in neutral position!
6.  Thou shalt engage the lats by reaching long, over a barrel and staying streamlined.
7.  Thou shalt THINK while swimming...ENGAGE THY BRAIN with thy BOD!
8.. Thou shalt have FUN.  Thanks, Lynne....
9.  Thou shalt do sprints because that which does not kill you will strengthen you.
10.  Thou shalt not cross over in front of thy head upon entry.
11.  Thou shalt keep thy hands relaxed and swimmeth with "relaxed power"!
12.  Thou shalt count my strokes per length because it gives direct feedback to how efficiently I'm swimming...thanks rstock!!
13.  "Thou shalt breathe on both sides because you will get hit in the face with a wave otherwise" ...many thanks, Jen!

14.  Thou shalt sight early and often otherwise you will end up knocking heads with someone, jamming your finger on someone's head, or getting punched/hit/kicked in the face by someone else who doesn't know how to sight (yes, all of these things have happened to me while practicing OWS - who knew swimming was such a contact sport?!)

2010-04-13 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL

My plan called for a day off once a week. Technically you can make that whatever day you want during the week, just try and keep it consistent. I then realized as my training went on though, I was not gettin enough run miles in for my half marathon. So then I started do a 30 min active recovery run at a really slow pace to just give me some nice easy mileage for the week. Yes I did enjoy the complete day of rest but I find that doing something active even on your rest day tends to make me feel a little bit better then doing completely nothing. So what it comes down to is the time that you have available, what you are training for, and whether your body needs that rest.
2010-04-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2788380

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

15. Thou shalt not close their eyes while underwater (I know its icky and dirty and the current can freak soem people out, but it is an easy way to get kicked because of not seeing someone, but advantages are drafting and seeing people in front of and around you)

2010-04-13 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
michwea - 2010-04-13 10:04 AM

Question for the group... I realize that everyone is in the thick of training for specific events, but other than a couple of running races on the schedule, I'm working my way toward my first tri (if all goes well this week, it will be my first time in the pool).  Anyway, a couple of questions about recovery.  Do you schedule a specific day of active or passive recovery in your training?  Some plans seem to advocate taking Mondays for recovery, some Fridays before your weekend long runs, rides or bricks.  Thoughts?  Preferences? 

Are you following any kind of plan? If so, it should tell you whether there is a rest day or not. Most of them will have them. When I was training for my first marathon, my long runs were on Saturday. I always took Friday off to rest and be ready for the long run and then Sunday off to recover. As my fitness progressed and as I did more marathons and triathlons, I found that my body didn't need as much rest and a short run on Sunday felt good. For the past few months (while training for my upcoming HIM) I really didn't have any "scheduled" rest days, but if life got in the way I took one. I find, for me, that a swim or an easy spin on the trainer is enough of a recovery day. As I ramp up for IMFL, my schedule has one rest day a week. I will do yoga on my "rest" days.

Since this will be your first, it's probably best to take at least one rest day a week to see how your body does. You don't want to over do it and get injured. As your fitness progresses, you can adjust accordingly. Everyone's body responds differently to the training.
2010-04-13 5:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
My wave goes off at 10:16 AM Saturday....
2010-04-13 7:54 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Being new to the tri training I would highly recommend that you take a rest day.  One for sure way to make sure you do so is to schedule one.  If you typically do your longer runs and bikes on the weekend a good day for rest is either before or after, Friday or Monday.  Of course as we all know life gets in the way so make sure you stay flexible on schedule.  A rest day also doesn't mean that you need to do absolutely nothing.  Do some stretching, yoga, or LIGHT activity if it makes you feel like less of a slug.  After you've been at this training for awhile you should start to learn how your body reacts and when it needs rest and recovery and you can adjust accordingly.

I used to schedule in a rest day in to my schedule, but I decided to take a different approach this year.  2 days a week are purely dedicated to swimming, essentially giving my legs 2 days of rest as opposed to the 1 day a week they used to.  This is making a world of difference training this year and while I haven't had a day without an s/b/r workout in over 2 months I'm feeling much less run down than I have in the past.

It's all about what works for you and can take some trial and error getting to a solution.  That's another great thing about the BT logs is you can track your workouts and see what worked and what didn't.

2010-04-13 8:21 PM

MF, WI
I generally use Friday for my rest day.  It just kind off developed because I get so sick of waking up at 5:00 in the morning that by Friday I just can't do it anymore.  It works out well though because the weekends are where my bigger mileage is.  Then on Monday I have my triathlon swim class which I consider to be active recovery.  But you should experiment with both and see how you feel.  It can be tough to take a complete day off and not feel like you should be doing something, but your body will tell you what it needs
2010-04-14 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2789420

User image

QueenZipp - 2010-04-13 6:17 AM My wave goes off at 10:16 AM Saturday....

I will be 4 minutes behind you I will be the short fat guy with a Silver GiantSmile
2010-04-14 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2790290

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
fungi32 - 2010-04-14 6:39 AM
QueenZipp - 2010-04-13 6:17 AM My wave goes off at 10:16 AM Saturday....

I will be 4 minutes behind you I will be the short fat guy with a Silver GiantSmile

Cool....we need to do a meet up!
2010-04-14 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Everyone--thanks for the advice on recovery.  I have weeks of continuity in my work schedule and then it all goes crazy with intermittent spurts of business travel.  Despite all that, I'm pretty consistent in my training--so I think scheduling some light/active recovery, probably on Fridays--would definitely be of benefit.

bar92--I'm deciding on a tri training plan at the moment.  I've been following the FIRST training program for my runs, and integrated the 12 week beginner cycling plan here on BT to get my cross training in (just finished that at the end of March).  I hope to get in the pool for the first time at the end of this week.  That's where my dilemma seems to come in.  I'm starting from scratch on the swim, so if I look at any of the real beginner plans for say a sprint tri, the swimming works, but the run and the bike come up way short from where I'm at right now. 

scotty930--I especially want/need to maintain my run fitness as I have a half mary at the beginning of June.  Looks like I'm going to have to do some creative mods to whatever plan I decide on.  Nice to see you just added some miles on your 'rest' day to make it work.
2010-04-14 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
I have taken too many rest days since last summer.

I tend to move mine around now that Ironman training is not on the schedule.  I also take one if my body asks for it!  Better to rest and stay injury-free. 

Regarding bike saddles.  I have the Terry Butterfly Tri saddle but the padding on the sides is a bit excessive.  I tried a Fizik, a little too hard.  Anyone tried out a Cobb saddle?  The Adamo is intriguing but the width in nose concerns me a bit.  I could get another Terry but I thought something new might just be beneficial.  Trouble with some saddle sores last year.

Which brings up another question.  How often should you get a new saddle?

Thanks for the input!

2010-04-14 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Thanks for the swimming commandments, Queen!  As a 2:45/100 swimmer (just started swimming for the first time in August), these are great reminders!  (I'm also a canoe racer and martial artist, so am well aware of the years and years it takes to get even "okay not great" at a technical sport. One of the reasons I love the simplicity of running!)
2010-04-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2790931

User image

Expert
michwea - 2010-04-14 10:03 AM Everyone--thanks for the advice on recovery.  I have weeks of continuity in my work schedule and then it all goes crazy with intermittent spurts of business travel.  Despite all that, I'm pretty consistent in my training--so I think scheduling some light/active recovery, probably on Fridays--would definitely be of benefit.

bar92--I'm deciding on a tri training plan at the moment.  I've been following the FIRST training program for my runs, and integrated the 12 week beginner cycling plan here on BT to get my cross training in (just finished that at the end of March).  I hope to get in the pool for the first time at the end of this week.  That's where my dilemma seems to come in.  I'm starting from scratch on the swim, so if I look at any of the real beginner plans for say a sprint tri, the swimming works, but the run and the bike come up way short from where I'm at right now. 

scotty930--I especially want/need to maintain my run fitness as I have a half mary at the beginning of June.  Looks like I'm going to have to do some creative mods to whatever plan I decide on.  Nice to see you just added some miles on your 'rest' day to make it work.

I've been using the FIRST training program for the marathon I'm doing, and I think it's a great base to use.  I'm planning on using it again over the summer when I'm training for my HIM & 2nd marathon.  But I'm planning on overlaying it with the BT Oly to HIM bridge plan for the swim and bike workouts. 

Not sure if you were looking for advice for picking a plan, so I'll leave you my $0.02 (if you didn't want advice, feel free to ignore!)  Since your run fitness seems to be a lot higher than swim or bike, you'd probably do well to combine a couple of plans and tweak it to your needs (or come up with your own), rather than just going straight off a generic plan.  Since swimming is your weakness, you'd probably want to focus on that more (not that I follow that myself, since my weakness is the bike, and I really haven't been biking all the much :-X)  If you haven't read it already, I really thought The Triathlete's Training Bible was a pretty good resource for putting together a plan for yourself based on how many hours you have to train, and what your weaknesses are.  Though it did have a lot of other stuff like that kind of went over my head as a beginner, so I skipped large portions of the book (maybe I'll understand it & find it useful now that I've had a couple of tris under my belt), but the part about how to put together your yearly training plan was REALLY helpful for me.
2010-04-14 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2791005

User image

Expert
retiretotri - 2010-04-14 10:22 AM I have taken too many rest days since last summer.

I tend to move mine around now that Ironman training is not on the schedule.  I also take one if my body asks for it!  Better to rest and stay injury-free. 

Regarding bike saddles.  I have the Terry Butterfly Tri saddle but the padding on the sides is a bit excessive.  I tried a Fizik, a little too hard.  Anyone tried out a Cobb saddle?  The Adamo is intriguing but the width in nose concerns me a bit.  I could get another Terry but I thought something new might just be beneficial.  Trouble with some saddle sores last year.

Which brings up another question.  How often should you get a new saddle?

Thanks for the input!

D'oh!  I just remembered that I'd forgotten to check what kind of saddle I have!  In either case, I've never had any negative experiences with it, so that must mean it's working well for me?   I'd be curious as to what everyone else has to say about how often to replace your saddle, too!
2010-04-14 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning group, and Happy Wednesday!

I had a pretty good bike session on my trainer this morning.  It went by pretty quickly since I was watching a movie - I almost forgot I had to go to work!  Tonight I'm planning a pretty easy lifting session with my lifting buddy and maybe some more foam rolling.  And maybe finish that movie I started this morning Wink
2010-04-14 11:15 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Ha!  Those commandments are for me as much as anyone.  I am definitely on the short bus when it comes to swimming!
I squeezed in a lunch time run....

2010-04-14 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Dropped in to say hi to the group and give props to Neal for being a great Mentor!
2010-04-14 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi Neal,

Name: Jack

I'd like to re- join your mentor group if there is still room and its not too late.

STORY: My name's Jack (jacklcm).  Been on the site for about 8 months. Im 51 and I started training for a triathlon five years ago beginning with a 10k. Unfortunately after improving my fitness I started back playing soccer and blew out my knee. That set me back a few  years before I decided to get it fixed (new ACL) and begin the recovery that was suppose to take 6 months. Unfortunately, complications during recovery took over a year and I still couldn't run due feet problems. Triathlons really were not even in my mind I just want to be able to run without pain. After doing exercise classes at the YMCA I found spin classes and I did them three times a week for a year or so before getting back to running. I did a 10k in the spring 09 and got re-started training for my first tri in April last year using the free training plan here at BT. I was ready finally for my first sprint in May after five years and I was so excited. The night before I was finalizing preps and I pumped my tires up a tire blewout.  I found a bike shop open late and got a new set. My first race as so much fun I was hooked. After training all summer I completed an International in Oct (but I was weak on the run - missed some training due to a sprained ankle). After the Olympic I spent Oct working on my run and completed a half marathon
FAMILY STATUS: 
Married 24 years, 2 kids 21 and 18. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I'm on week 19 of a 24 week program to prepare for the early half IM  May 8.  I’m joined a tri training group that started in  Feb. and I’m taking running classes to improve in running.  I'm evaluating a full IM by the end of  2011.

2010 RACES:
National Duathlon Festival (Duathlon) 4/25/2010  (Richmond Va.)

½ IM May Kenetic Louisa Va.

½ IM  Patriot – Williamsburg Va.

I plan to do another Olympic and a sprint during the summer.

2009 RACES:
Runing  10k March  and my Richmond half marathon fall.

Sprint in May and Olympic Oct.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:
I started last year at about 225 and was at 190 begining of the year.  I was looking to drop to 180, and I've been there but today I'm 182.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:

I’m very new and I’m continually looking to get better.  I don’t come from a background in any one of these sports so there is a lot to learn.  I see that you have been through what I’m going through now and I look forward to learning from your efforts and past experiences.  I’m pretty motivated by myself, but I would appreciate comparing similar experiences with folks that have been through what I planning to do. 

2010-04-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2790290

User image

Veteran
Good luck at the race. 
2010-04-14 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Hi Jack!

Yahooooooooooooo!!!  Another Fabulous over 50 triathlete.  Welcome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46