BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Austin, although I'm responding to your last post, don't take this in any way to be a "bashing" or anything like that. As it's not. Just throwing out my thoughts...

However, what is your reasoning behind the strength training 2x a week. (Besides the program itself calls for it... if I remember correctly most of the BT plans have some strewn in)

Coming from an Ex bodybuilder, let me say strength training and weight training are perfectly fine for many things including everything from overall health to just looking good nekkid. It is NOT beneficial for Triathlon in general.

2011-01-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3277318

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-04 2:10 PM Austin, although I'm responding to your last post, don't take this in any way to be a "bashing" or anything like that. As it's not. Just throwing out my thoughts...

However, what is your reasoning behind the strength training 2x a week. (Besides the program itself calls for it... if I remember correctly most of the BT plans have some strewn in)

Coming from an Ex bodybuilder, let me say strength training and weight training are perfectly fine for many things including everything from overall health to just looking good nekkid. It is NOT beneficial for Triathlon in general.

Chris- Glad you posted this because I have been ignoring all the strenght training part of my plans for the last year and was just wondering today if I should start doing them.
2011-01-04 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
let me clarify to say that I do think sport specific strength training *can* be beneficial to athletes (any athlete) BUT... in general you only have x amount of time to devote to training (unless you are getting paid to train/race of course) in which case the most gains you can make in running/biking/swimming will come from those sports themselves. For someone with every day to devote to training/racing... sure, I can see some strength training. For those of us with lives outside triathlon, no, I think s/b/r is plenty enough crosstraining already.

again, just my thoughts on it. I of course encourage you guys to see what works for you as opposed to just taking my word for it
2011-01-04 4:25 PM

User image

Bronze member
I have a hard time keeping up with strength training and still hit all/most of my tri specific workouts. If I'm running out of time or energy strength training is the first to go. Just got back to it last night and I felt it this morning. Sore and achy and my swim workout really suffered. Hard to balance it all!
2011-01-04 4:31 PM

User image

Bronze member
And if I have to start writing down everything I eat you all will kick me off this group. Yesterday was bad after my ride in the cold. I think I could have eaten my own arm. Mac-n-cheese, chocolate and pizza for dinner. Maybe I need to work on that a little......
2011-01-04 6:33 PM

Regular
I don't know really... I've heard that it helps strengthen almost everything that helps prevent injuries... Bones, joints, tendons... And would probably help for tackling hills and keeping my whole body in shape.  Strengthening the back would also probably be beneficial for riding long distances.

I'll definitely take your advice, and do some research on it. You have much more knowledge on the topic, and I trust your word.

2011-01-04 6:40 PM

Regular
Oh, and don't worry, I won't take anything anyone says as a bashing... We're all here to help one another and I'm extremely open to all ideas/suggestions.
2011-01-04 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3277968

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
acgibby - 2011-01-04 7:33 PM I don't know really... I've heard that it helps strengthen almost everything that helps prevent injuries... Bones, joints, tendons... And would probably help for tackling hills and keeping my whole body in shape.  Strengthening the back would also probably be beneficial for riding long distances.

I'll definitely take your advice, and do some research on it. You have much more knowledge on the topic, and I trust your word.

I agree with everything but this.

You can never prove that X (in this case strength training) prevents Y (injury), as Y not guaranteed to happen regardless of X. Likewise, Y can happen 100% independently of X as well. The 'prevent injury' idea is nice, but it's just that, an idea.

In my days lifting I saw MANY people do deadlifts/squats/cleans incorrectly, which should lead to injury, and yet they walked away fine every time.  

I'll also say that the only way to get used to riding long distances is to ride long distances
2011-01-04 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
All this talk of weight lifting has me wanting to go do some curls....12 oz. curls.
2011-01-04 10:37 PM

Regular
Oh that sounds so delightfull Jeff... Except I'm referring to Mountain Dew.  One of the things that I've changed now that I'm training, is I have been off of soda for about a month now... I used to drink at least 36 Mountain Dews a week... Not only was it expensive, but it was really unhealthy.  I did this throughout high school, and most ofmy first semester in college.  The caffeine withdrawals were so terrible!

I'm not really a big fan of plain water so I always use those flavor packets they make... I've been using Country Time Lemonade mainly... Is that a bad thing? I mean, it is definitely NOT as bad as drinking 36+ sodas a week, lol.
2011-01-05 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3277968

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

acgibby - 2011-01-04 5:33 PM I don't know really... I've heard that it helps strengthen almost everything that helps prevent injuries... Bones, joints, tendons... And would probably help for tackling hills and keeping my whole body in shape.  Strengthening the back would also probably be beneficial for riding long distances.

On the topic of injury prevention and say strengthening your back for riding, is that your body adapts to the stresses place upon it.  So while yes, strength training does help strengthen your body, the stresses that you place upon it by building endurance in R/B/S will ulitimately be the best thing to protect it from injury in S/B/R.  And as for the back thing, riding lots will be the most help for the back being comfortable while biking.  These exercises are specific to the the exercise your doing.  SBR = SBR. 

2011-01-05 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3278463

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

acgibby - 2011-01-04 9:37 PM I'm not really a big fan of plain water so I always use those flavor packets they make... I've been using Country Time Lemonade mainly... Is that a bad thing? I mean, it is definitely NOT as bad as drinking 36+ sodas a week, lol.

While maybe not as bad as soda, the lemonade still has a lot of sugar.  You might want to try something like propel fitness water.  Almost no calories (like 10), but good flavor.  They also make packets of the stuff instead of buying the bottles (though I like the bottles).  I, like you, just can't drink tons of water. I need flavor, so I drink propel.  I also use the packets at work, unless I'm drinking Diet Coke which is most of the time.  I figure 1-2 diet sodas a day is better than the 4 - 5 Cokes I used to drink.  But I do make sure that when I'm home, it's only propel, juice or water.  No caffinated drinks, except for weekends when again I can have 1 soda per day max.

2011-01-05 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3278727

User image

South Florida

I don't have a problem drinking water all day but when doing long rides or runs i need some type of flavor mixed in. I like the GU Brew mix. Not to strong

Well, after spending about 2 hours at the local running store i walked out with a pair of Asics DS Trainers. They have some posting, but no alot which i think will be benefitial to me. Went for a run last night in them and love how light they are. It's kinda hard for my size 12.5 feet to get a light weight stability trainer. Wish me luck as this is my 3rd pair of shoes i'm trying for my feet

2011-01-05 8:57 PM

User image

New user
Good to see another happy person with the Asics ds model shoes. I'm not having much luck with finding the Saucony Fasttwitch 4's locally which really sucks cause I'd rather support the local running stores than an online company. Also really considering trying out those slippers that Barefoot ted sells, but right now the weather is too cold to wear something like that.

Did not squeeze in a workout today, but someone did call to purchase my gary fisher dual sport bike. Kinda sad to see it go and for such a steal of a price, but was not getting the kind of use I was expecting and can go back to my original plan of a road bike or tri bike. The guy I sold it to was really happy about the deal so thats good as well. This money will go towards my new tri gear. Top priority item right now is the Heart rate monitor watch with its accessories. Will also need to get the training plan and the membership package as well. 

For those of you who are experienced in purchasing bikes, is it normal to spend numerous hours with your local bike shop in choosing a bike? I have a fitting scheduled for Friday evening and am estimating to spend at least 1.5 hours to set up a test fit for a road bike with clip on aero bars and a triathlon bike. Is this normal? What happens if they invest all this time and don't have many models my size to try out? Should I not hesitate to keep shopping elsewhere? 
2011-01-05 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3275961

User image

New user
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-03 8:05 PM running form looks pretty good to me. Does something particularly feel "odd" about it? A lot of injuries?

Your foot does seem to land in front of your center of gravity a bit... but it could very well just be an illusion of a low frame rate camera.

I think its just a different form of jogging at a slower pace that makes it feel odd to me. I used to jog the same way as when I was running fast which seemed to make me bounce up and down on my toes a lot which sometimes resulted in sore calves the next day. So to take the bouncing up and down movement, my stride shortened a bit and feels like my legs are moving a little more quickly. It does feel pretty relaxed, and no issues with soreness the next day. But I have not tried a long run. I guess I will find out how much better it feels over running longer distances soon. So its just odd right now cause its something new. 
2011-01-06 7:10 AM

User image

Bronze member
Has anybody ever followed the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan? I can't find another 1/2 IM plan on BT, this one looks just a little light on volume with 7-10 hours a week. My winter maintenance plan is 7 - 10 hours a week. I have not looked all the way through the 1/2 IM plan though.

Also, does anybody know if I have to buy the Garmin candence sensor to work with my 305? I have a bontrager cadence sensor and a trek incite cycling computer. The battery is dead on the trek incite. Now that I have a 305 I'd rather just use that for everything but I'm really not patient with figuring out techy stuff. I just realized the Garmin is recording all of my runs as bike rides!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday. The weekend is almost here!

2011-01-06 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been a bit MIA thus far.  I promise I'll be better on getting on here.  I've been sick and home from work for the past couple of days...  And when I'm sick, I turn into a whiny little...  well, you get the picture.  But I'm back now, and am happy about it!

I haven't trained much over the past couple of weeks (2 runs since before Christmas), but my tri club starts up again next week, and I am going to be going hard.  I joined them in September, and they are an awesome group.  Volume and intensity really ramp up quickly starting in about 2-3 weeks, so my numbers will definitely be on the rise (hard not to be when they start at 0...).

I hope everyone is doing well!  Looks like the group has been active in my absence! 
2011-01-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3281034

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w -

For those of you who are experienced in purchasing bikes, is it normal to spend numerous hours with your local bike shop in choosing a bike? I have a fitting scheduled for Friday evening and am estimating to spend at least 1.5 hours to set up a test fit for a road bike with clip on aero bars and a triathlon bike. Is this normal? What happens if they invest all this time and don't have many models my size to try out? Should I not hesitate to keep shopping elsewhere? 

I have a very good relation with (more than one of actually) my LBS. They know I probably know more about the bike I'm looking at than they do. Before I went with my Planet X, I probably spent somewhere around 8-10 hours at the LBS working with my fitter and the guys there. In the end, I bought the frame directly from Planet X, and I was up front with my LBS if they couldn't get close to the price PXusa was offering, I would do so.  I still spent plenty of cash with them between building it, getting fit, tires/tubes (latex tubes! OMG $$$) not to mention I also bought my Road bike from them.

They will likely NOT have a lot of tri bikes in general (unless they are a tri specific store) and probably still not many of those will be your size... Getting your fit coordinates is key #1. You don't want to end up "made to fit" a Tall and narrow bike like a Scott Plasma when you should be riding a low and long bike like a Cervelo or Felt.

Always remember when shopping, whether it's for a bike or car or house or whatever... you can (and should) be nice to everyone, but at the end of the day, it's going to be a business transaction. Don't buy emotionally or feel you need to buy from the lbs because they spent that time with you. Buy because it's the right bike for you.
2011-01-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3281425

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-01-06 8:10 AM Has anybody ever followed the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan? I can't find another 1/2 IM plan on BT, this one looks just a little light on volume with 7-10 hours a week. My winter maintenance plan is 7 - 10 hours a week. I have not looked all the way through the 1/2 IM plan though.

I used the 1/2 Beginner plan last year before moving to the Intermediate IM plan. I felt like it was well set up and some of the 8-10 hour weeks felt like a solid amount of work. However, if you are already hitting 7-10 sbr'ing for maintenance, you may want to look elsewhere.

Also, does anybody know if I have to buy the Garmin candence sensor to work with my 305? I have a bontrager cadence sensor and a trek incite cycling computer. The battery is dead on the trek incite. Now that I have a 305 I'd rather just use that for everything but I'm really not patient with figuring out techy stuff. I just realized the Garmin is recording all of my runs as bike rides!

You'll need the cadence sensor to keep your cadence, of course without it you can still keep up with things like mph/distance. 
2011-01-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3281034

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Andr3w - 2011-01-05 7:57 PM For those of you who are experienced in purchasing bikes, is it normal to spend numerous hours with your local bike shop in choosing a bike? I have a fitting scheduled for Friday evening and am estimating to spend at least 1.5 hours to set up a test fit for a road bike with clip on aero bars and a triathlon bike. Is this normal? What happens if they invest all this time and don't have many models my size to try out? Should I not hesitate to keep shopping elsewhere? 

Andrew, Yes it is completely normal and tells me alot of good things about your LBS.  They are 'investing' time with you in hopes that you'll buy their products/services.  When it's time for you to buy your bike, you have to remember the people/shops who took the time to help you.  If the shop doesn't have many models in your size, then ask them what they can do-refer you to another shop or perhaps let you size up on a (willing) customer's bike.  Whatever you decide-let the shop know if someone did a good job for you.  LBS employees usually don't get paid much, and none that I know of get a commission for the sale, so an 'atta boy' goes a long way.  
Good Luck
2011-01-06 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
trigal38 - 2011-01-06 7:10 AM Has anybody ever followed the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan? I can't find another 1/2 IM plan on BT, this one looks just a little light on volume with 7-10 hours a week. My winter maintenance plan is 7 - 10 hours a week. I have not looked all the way through the 1/2 IM plan though.

I used this program and it worked well for me. The reason it was right for me was with a wife and 4 kids playing sports, and owning my own buisness I was still not able to make all the workouts. I probably did 90% of them, and I was hurting at the end of my 1/2, but I was still walking and able to drive myself home. For me I have to look at the training plans in how they will work into my daily schedule.

2011-01-06 2:41 PM

User image

Bronze member
Thanks for your input everyone. I just looked at my current volume and I'm between 6.5-8 hours most weeks. Getting up to 10 hours would be plenty. Adding 2 or 3 hours doesn't sound like a lot on paper but it's a different story when your actually trying to fit it all in.
I kind of think this would be a good time for me to prepare for a 1/2. My husband has a month and a 1/2 off in the summer and my kids are not in a bunch of sports yet. This will be my 3rd tri season. I feel like I am not fast but I'm pretty comfortable maintaining a moderate effort level for a while. I just don't know how long I can go and I need to learn about nutrition.  I did a 1/2 IM aqua/bike last summer and loved it but the whole time I knew I wasn't going to run
2011-01-06 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
trigal38 - 2011-01-06 6:10 AM Has anybody ever followed the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan? I can't find another 1/2 IM plan on BT, this one looks just a little light on volume with 7-10 hours a week. My winter maintenance plan is 7 - 10 hours a week. I have not looked all the way through the 1/2 IM plan though.

I used the BT beginner 1/2 IM plan last year and wasn't sure if it'd be enough either.  But it definitely was. I finished it faster than I thought I would and ran a PR half marathon (not that my old PR was that great) and only walked through the aid stations.  You may be able to do more if you're maintaining 7-10 hours right now, but that plan will get you through the HIM.

2011-01-06 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Sorry I've been a bit MIA this week everybody. I've been really bumming about my knee and it's been rough. It doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm seeing the doctor on Monday, but not being able run or bike, or even walk normally is driving me crazy. I've tried swimming and it's a bit weird feeling.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to get workout in another way?

Edited by MechEChick 2011-01-06 10:10 PM
2011-01-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3283672

User image

Bronze member
MechEChick - 2011-01-06 10:09 PM Sorry I've been a bit MIA this week everybody. I've been really bumming about my knee and it's been rough. It doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm seeing the doctor on Monday, but not being able run or bike, or even walk normally is driving me crazy. I've tried swimming and it's a bit weird feeling.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to get workout in another way?

What about pool running with a floatation belt? Not sure how that would feel on your knee but there would be no impact. Maybe swimming with a pull buoy? Just be careful not to strain your shoulders with that. Probably the best thing would be to just take it easy until you see the doctor. I know I'd be looking for an alternative too though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22