BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-04-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3448142

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Open
titeloops - 2011-04-15 8:18 AM
sand101 - 2011-04-14 8:46 PM
mashmead - 2011-04-14 11:51 AM
pilotzs - 2011-04-14 11:33 AM
mashmead - 2011-04-14 11:19 AM

For those that've done a HIM or are training for one.  I've read a few threads lately that debate how important the swim is.  Some say it's a bike race with a long run afterwards.  Others disagree and say swim fitness (or a lack thereof) will greatly impact the other two legs of the race.  Thoughts?  

I ask b/c I'm trying to find the right HIM training plan.  Of course, my current fitness is the determining factor when choosing a plan.

I've got a run tonight.  4-5 miles.

I think Titeloops might have some suggestions.  I know there are some BT plans that people have used.  I'm currently using the BT custom plan creator, and it looks like a pretty good plan once it's put together.  I've got it scheduled for my OLY in May, then I'll bridge that to the HIM for September (which will be my first).

Have you checked out the plans here?  Most of the comments about the plans on BT are that the Bike is light, but everything else is good.

I have checked the plans and 2 are looking good: the 12 wk oly to HIM bridge and the 20 wk HIM plan.  Looks like the 12 wk plan is heavier on the swim and run than the 20 wk but the 20 wk has more time in the saddle. 

Not sure which leg of the race could be considered make or break at that distance.  If there is one.

I chimed in on this earlier, but the server ate it.  So here goes again.  Looking at your last Oly, you are a middling swimmer, good cyclist, and excellent runner.  In that Oly, how did the swim feel?  Finish well with lots of energy?  Your run split sure as heck said so, IMO.  A HIM swim isn't really that much longer than an Oly swim. 

Given that I would probably go with the plan with more time in the saddle.  You can probably pump up your yardage in the swim by 20% or so and get the distance done with the speed you are comfortable at.  The bike in a HIM, though, more than doubles in length over an Oly.  This is a big, big difference.  Hit the bike hard in training.  With your run splits I think you know what you need to do for a good half marathon.

Sands is spot on IMO. The swim is just such a short portion of the race, that there are diminishing returns on swim improvement. With that said, I could probably take 5 to 10 minutes off my HIM swim if I would only put the time in at the pool. I say spend the extra time in the saddle.

IMO, the longer the race the more important bike fitness becomes.  When you get to the HIM and IM distances you're usually on the bike longer than the swim and run combined. 

2011-04-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3448454

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-04-15 10:05 AM

For those that've done a HIM or are training for one.  I've read a few threads lately that debate how important the swim is.  Some say it's a bike race with a long run afterwards.  Others disagree and say swim fitness (or a lack thereof) will greatly impact the other two legs of the race.  Thoughts?  

I ask b/c I'm trying to find the right HIM training plan.  Of course, my current fitness is the determining factor when choosing a plan.

I think Titeloops might have some suggestions.  I know there are some BT plans that people have used.  I'm currently using the BT custom plan creator, and it looks like a pretty good plan once it's put together.  I've got it scheduled for my OLY in May, then I'll bridge that to the HIM for September (which will be my first).

Have you checked out the plans here?  Most of the comments about the plans on BT are that the Bike is light, but everything else is good.

I have checked the plans and 2 are looking good: the 12 wk oly to HIM bridge and the 20 wk HIM plan.  Looks like the 12 wk plan is heavier on the swim and run than the 20 wk but the 20 wk has more time in the saddle. 

Not sure which leg of the race could be considered make or break at that distance.  If there is one.

I chimed in on this earlier, but the server ate it.  So here goes again.  Looking at your last Oly, you are a middling swimmer, good cyclist, and excellent runner.  In that Oly, how did the swim feel?  Finish well with lots of energy?  Your run split sure as heck said so, IMO.  A HIM swim isn't really that much longer than an Oly swim. 

Given that I would probably go with the plan with more time in the saddle.  You can probably pump up your yardage in the swim by 20% or so and get the distance done with the speed you are comfortable at.  The bike in a HIM, though, more than doubles in length over an Oly.  This is a big, big difference.  Hit the bike hard in training.  With your run splits I think you know what you need to do for a good half marathon.

Sands is spot on IMO. The swim is just such a short portion of the race, that there are diminishing returns on swim improvement. With that said, I could probably take 5 to 10 minutes off my HIM swim if I would only put the time in at the pool. I say spend the extra time in the saddle.

IMO, the longer the race the more important bike fitness becomes.  When you get to the HIM and IM distances you're usually on the bike longer than the swim and run combined. 

Unless your a slow runner.  My bike split might be faster than my run split.  We will see.  Lots of work to do on both.

2011-04-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3447952

User image

Expert
Alabama
sicone - 2011-04-15 3:55 AM

BamaDC - 2011-04-14 3:30 PM 

I'm confused.  Are we talking about football, futbol or soccer?  I'm just glad ESPN has started carrying the Premier Leagues.

We're talking about what we Brits call football and just about everyone else calls soccer.

pilotzs - 2011-04-14 10:28 PM

Isn't everyone a Man U fan?

We have a running joke over here that says 80% on Man U fans have never been to Manchester and about 50% of those don't even live in the UK!

I have no dog in that one,  just thought it was funny.  I was watching European Road Trip the other day (I was bored and it was on) and they backpackers hooked up with the Man U soccer (football) fans going from England to France for Man U to play a french team.  It was pretty funny portrayal of the Man U British Football Fans.

2011-04-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3448145

User image

Expert
South Jersey

titeloops - 2011-04-15 8:19 AM Late night on Bourbon st. My head hurts!

So jealous!  My husband and I went in November for our 5th anniversary.  Cannot wait to go back!  The Mardi Gras Rock and Roll marathon is on my bucket list!

2011-04-15 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3434029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Name: Sylvain

STORY: Had a very active lifestyle, then stopped all when had first child 6 1/2 years ago. For my standard I was in terrible shape and was starting to worry about keeping up with my daughter when she became a teen. I want her to be active also and she will need to learn from somewhere. One day I fell upon an article titled "Train like a triathlete to get in shape fast". I read the article and was hooked. Couple days later I started running in my yard (5 acres), 30 seconds run, 30 sec walk. I started searching for info on triathlon, found BT, sign up. Browsed around and found the couch to 5K program. This was in Aug/07. Not having access to Bike or pool, I stuck to running. Finnished my first Half Marathon in May/08, then first Marathon in September/08. Ran two Marathons in 2009, plus a 30K and 10K running race. In 2010 did one try-a-tri and two sprints.  Bring on year 2 of tri'ing! My first Oly!!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 9 years, with two children, both girls, aged 6 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently on 15 week Oly plan.  First two weeks not good, pool closed for maintenance.  Doing some bike and run but very busy at work with late nights. 

2010 RACES: Binbrook Give-it-a-Tri, Toronto Island Sprint, Orilia Sprint

2011 RACES:
Binbrook Sprint - June 18 (Registered)
Gravenhurst Oly - July 16 (Registered)
Toronto Island Sprint - Aug 28
Lakeside Oly - Sept 17

Cheers!

Sylvain

2011-04-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3448499

User image

Veteran
pilotzs - 2011-04-15 10:25 AM
BamaDC - 2011-04-15 10:05 AM

Unless your a slow runner.  My bike split might be faster than my run split.  We will see.  Lots of work to do on both.

Thanks for chiming in everyone, I really do appreciate it.  And it makes sense that bike fitness gets more important when bridging to the HIM distance.  I'm an ok swimmer and to answer sand's question, I didn't have any issues coming out of the water and wasn't any more fatigued than I expected to be.  My bike and run were actually much faster than I expected. 

That said, I think the 20 week plan with more time in the saddle will work best.  I've only been riding for about a year and have come a long way.  The bike time in this plan will be a challenge for sure but probably worth it based on what you guys have said.

2011-04-15 9:55 PM

I'm in if you'll have me. 

In a bit of a rush at the moment, but will provide a bio soon.

Looking forward to being part of this mentor program!  Smile

2011-04-15 10:52 PM

User image

Expert

Room for one more?  If yes, I'll post a bio tomorrow (or most likely Monday since the weekend might be a bit busy!)

I'm aiming to improve my HIM time from last year, and I'm pretty sure my biggest limiter is on the bike.... You guys seems to know about HIM's and cycling, so I'd love to join this group!

2011-04-16 10:42 AM

Name: John

STORY: I've been athletically active my whole life, but within the last few years I've picked up the pace.  Not really sure why, but maybe I'm subconsciously trying to postpone middle-age for as long as possible.   I did my first tri on a whim about ten years ago, and then didn't do another for about 6 years.  I've done several more since then and have plans for two more this year.  I find that I do my best thinking when I swimming/biking/running (not that I'm much of a thinker!), and I consider that to be a tremendous added benefit to my training.  I also love the feeling of accomplishment that comes after a good training session.  My neighbors think I'm completely insane for training so frequently, but I'm long since past caring.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 4 years, with two dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently on a week long vacation and not doing exercise of any kind.  However, I'm back at it on Monday.  But what I'm hopefully not going back to is a completely unorganized plan.  My training consists of running once or twice per week, riding about 3 times, and hardly swimming at all because of water quality problems at the pool.  These numbers include a bike/run brick which I try to do every week.  I also try to get in one upper body workout at the gym per week.  I recently switched over to BT to log my training, but you can see in the two months of data here, that my swim/bike times really haven't improved much.  Ideally I would like to get some help from this mentor program in making my training more productive.

2010 RACES: N/A

2011 RACES:
Hua Hin Queen's Cup Oly  Aug 21

Laguna Phuket Oly+  Nov 27

I'm really looking forward to participating in the group, and I hope that I'll be able to provide some useful information and/or inspiration to other members.

John

2011-04-17 4:38 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Welcome to the group. Glad to see some new additions.Hope everyone is having a good training weekend.And titeloops, good luck at New Orleans!

Edited by pilotzs 2011-04-17 4:39 AM
2011-04-17 5:02 AM
in reply to: #3450851

User image

Expert
Raleigh
pilotzs - 2011-04-17 4:38 AMWelcome to the group. Glad to see some new additions.Hope everyone is having a good training weekend.And titeloops, good luck at New Orleans!
Thanks bro! Whatchu doin up so early?

2011-04-17 7:11 AM

Valdosta
I am from South GEorgia and would also like to join your mentor group.
2011-04-17 8:08 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Good luck at NOLA titleloops!!
2011-04-17 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Some background on me...I have incredibly flat feet.  Most people say they have never seen feet as flat as mine, including health professionals!  Because of this, I have dealt with soreness in my achilles, specifically my left foot, since I started running.  Orthotics and motion control sneaks help but I still have some soreness after long runs but it never really hurts. 

I am not doing too good this weekend.  I cut my 17 miles short yesterday because my achilles was sore for most of my run.  I ended up  little under 16 miles.   Yesterday it hurt.  I was supposed to do an easy 25 minute run today and lasted 5 minutes.  I had terrible pains in my ankle and foot so I stopped to ice and take Alleve.  I have been icing off and on all morning and it is feeling better but still not going to run today.  Tomorrow is a rest day but I might try for an easy run if I am feeling good.  This is not what I want to be dealing with 4 weeks out!

2011-04-17 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran

This has been one of the hardest training weekends I've had in a while.  So far everything has gone fine.

Saturday was a 2200 yd swim w/lots of fast 50s, followed by a brick of 40 miles on the bike and a quick 20 min run.

Sunday was a 1hr 20 min run and a 30 min recovery ride (still have to do that later).  And we've still got an indoor soccer game to play later tonight.  I'll probably play sparingly, a little worn out and don't want to risk injury.

Hope everybody's having a good weekend.   

2011-04-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3450917

User image

Veteran

LostSheep - 2011-04-17 8:08 AM Good luck at NOLA titleloops!!

Bummer.  I saw NOLA was changed to a duathlon b/c of high winds on the lake. 

Titeloops, hope the race went well for you otherwise.  Looking forward to hearing about it. 

2011-04-17 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
NOLA 69.1 is done. Was bummed they cancelled the swim. Was a little choppy, but I think they could have had the swim. I did OK. Hammered the bike, 2:34:25, had a really slow transition,(had to make a stop by the old POJ) then put a descent run together until mile 10, where it became very obvious I had gone to hard on the bike. Run was 2:03. That's a PR for me, but I'm pretty disappointed I didn't break 2 hours. That was my goal. I post a race report soon. Wind was brutal.
2011-04-17 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3451240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville

titeloops - 2011-04-17 4:30 PM NOLA 69.1 is done. Was bummed they cancelled the swim. Was a little choppy, but I think they could have had the swim. I did OK. Hammered the bike, 2:34:25, had a really slow transition,(had to make a stop by the old POJ) then put a descent run together until mile 10, where it became very obvious I had gone to hard on the bike. Run was 2:03. That's a PR for me, but I'm pretty disappointed I didn't break 2 hours. That was my goal. I post a race report soon. Wind was brutal.

I checked the results mid day to see how you were doing and was confused there wasn't a swim split.  But you definitely had a solid 69.1!

2011-04-17 9:21 PM

User image

Apex, NC

Hi all - if the group's still open I'd like to join...

Story: 37 yo female, married with 2 boys (7,9).  This is my 2nd year racing.  Grew up as a swimmer who hated running.  Now I appreciate running but I'm still not sure I like it.  Husband is dedicated trier too and we have much discussion on who gets the trainer or the AM run time.  I can beat him out of the water but I get toasted on the bike and run.  I was in a mentor group recently that was great and taught me many things. 

Training: 6x/wk. about 6-10 hours per week.  Currently doing BT Sprint bike focused.  Getting a new tri bike next week which will help with the bike focus! 

Race schedule: Finished 1st HM in March (sub 2hr) and have a couple of sprints planned for the year (first is white Lake NC in 4 weeks), graduating to an oly by Oct. and maybe another HM before winter.

Goals: run faster, get comfy on aero bars, learn to drink/eat/drive at the same time, finish an olympic distance, win my age group swim time in any tri, run 1:45 HM, get the confidence to register for HIM distance in '12.

Looking forward to learning much from all of you!

2011-04-17 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Girl, we are neighbors!
2011-04-18 12:47 AM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
Is there still room and if so, for a complete novice??!!  Will post information if accepted

2011-04-18 1:13 AM

User image

Expert

NAME:  River (actually, that's just a nickname that has stuck; some BT'ers know me as Missy as well)

STORY: This will be my third year of triathlon.  I grew up swimming, playing soccer, and doing Tae Kwon Do (even got a black belt).  In college, became pretty inactive and stayed that way for ~8yrs.  In 2007 I decided to get healthy by becoming vegetarian and getting active again.  I took up yoga and strength training, and lost about 60 pounds in the process.

In 2009, I had it in my head that I wanted to "do a triathlon", so I registered for the Chicago Olympic.  Then I was told to do a smaller race first, so I did a sprint that May.  Then I caught the tri bug and did 2 oly's before Chicago.  I still had the racing bug after tri season, so I did my first half-marathon (ahem, my first running race) at the end of Sept, and a second half marathon in November.

In 2010, I wanted to focus more on training than racing.  I planned to do my first marathon in April, my first HIM in July, and my second marathon in October.  My marathon went well, except for all the hills I didn't expect, causing me to slow down at the end.  My half iron went decently, but I realized I don't know how to pace myself on the bike.  My bike split was really slow, but the up side of that was that I passed everyone I saw from mile 40 of the bike and throughout the entire run.

Last Sept, I PR'ed my half marathon by 9 minutes; I also did my first 2.5k open water swim race.  Unfortunately, I messed up my hip doing my 20-miler because I was out of town in Carlsbad, CA, and I didn't take into account the affect hills would have in my training.  My running was horrible after that run, but I still attempted the marathon in Oct... I got up to mile 15 before deciding to voluntarily walk off the course rather than risk injury.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, live alone.  I have a plant!

CURRENT TRAINING:  I think I got burnt out after messing up my hip... I took some time off after the Chicago marathon, and am just now (this week) starting to get my groove back.  I tried to help it along by registering for the Mardi Gras half marathon in Feb, but my mojo wasn't there and I ended up just going into the race untrained and getting my PW (personal worst).  Right now I'm kind of following the beginner HIM training plan, but making modifications to the schedule so that I can join my tri club's group rides/runs on the weekends.  I'm just trying to train by feel right now because I can't go by the paces I was doing at the end of last season!

2011 RACES:  New Orleans Mardi Gras Half Marathon, Galena Tri (sprint), Soldier Field 10-miler, Door County Tri (Half Iron), Big Shoulders 5k Open Water Swim, Philadelphia Marathon.  There are only 2 tris in there, so I might do an oly in either June or Aug, but I don't want to lose focus from my A-races which are my HIM and marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I dropped 60 lbs from my heaviest, right after college, until I decided to start triathlon-ing.  I have since gained some of it back, both from meeting/befriending a bunch of triathletes who love beer and pizza, but also from my recent stint as a couch potato after messing up my hip.  I'm currently focusing on cleaning up my diet and getting back into regular training.  Hopefully that'll help me at least get to last year's racing weight, though I'd prefer to get back to my pre-tri weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
  I like tri talk, and hanging out in this mentor group will help me do that without boring my IRL non-tri friends to death.  

2011-04-18 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
I got to ride a Speed Concept 9.9 yesterday. A LBS hosted a Trek demo and that was the only tri bike they had.  First time I was on on a tri bike and while it wasn't fitted very well for me I really like it it.  Overall a very sweet bike I but nothing jumped out at me that said, "oh yeah, this is what 10 grand buys you" do I guess that's a good thing.
2011-04-18 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3450855

User image

Expert
Alabama

titeloops - 2011-04-17 5:02 AM
pilotzs - 2011-04-17 4:38 AMWelcome to the group. Glad to see some new additions.Hope everyone is having a good training weekend.And titeloops, good luck at New Orleans!
Thanks bro! Whatchu doin up so early?

Sunday morning ride.  Got to get it done.

Tough, Heard the swim got cancelled in NOLA.  Sounds like the race went okay though.  Looking forward to the race report.

Edited by pilotzs 2011-04-18 7:42 AM
2011-04-18 8:15 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Title - sorry to hear it was 69.1, but sure looks like you had a good one regardless!

My weekend was so-so. Saturday was a 7.3mi run followed by a hard 2000yrd swim. And that wasn't a hard workout, but it was HARD for me to complete it. I was gassed!

Yardwork on Sunday and following some of NOLA.

Oh well. The week is here and time to start throwing down the training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 44