BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-16 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

I did Howl at the Moon in Danville, Illinois - run or run/walk whatever you can for 8 hours in the hot August sun.  Started at 7am!  Oh, geez it was hot.. 3.2 mile loops - incredible support  But the post race drink fest and dancing (yes after 36.19 miles still have energy to dance) was totally worth it.  It just happens to be the same weekend as Rev3 Dells this year.I've been keeping tecumseh on my short list - the endurance challenge draws me more than speed!  Trails have to wait until after I get the half marathon in - can risk injury (alas, my IT band reminds me of how gimpy I can be

And you're right about in house rivalry.  Got my long run in dodgin ice puddles and was done for the day, but dh is doing the 0-1650 Ruth Kazez swim plan and he needed to swim. Beginning of december, he could only do 25 yards - rest - 25 yards - rest and lots of breaststroke.  Today he did 700 yards, including four 100's.  He is a true beginner swimmer - love that he's getting into it.

So, sigh - dragged my bag to the pool and got a great recovery swim in.  I've now washed my hair 3 times in the last 36 hours. 

I thought on my run today - sometimes ya gotta suffer (thanks, esc for reminding me of this), and although the run was slower than planned, the fog has cleared and I feel ready to face another training week.  Hope all of you in a great week too.

Spinerval DVD's totally worth the investment - it really makes the drainer time pass. 

for the forum - anyone use heart rate monitor?  Love it on the bike, but if I stayed in zone 2 for running - I'd end up walking.  My heart rate zoooms when running

2012-01-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3992881

User image

SOMA sounds like a great race!  I looked at a HITS race in AZ for the fall - I've never done anything unless it was incredibly humid
2012-01-16 7:08 PM

Middle Tennessee

My sister had the day off so she came to play with me today.  Just got in a 20 minute trainer ride.  But getting to see my sis was worth cutting my training short.  We made homemade washing machine detergent.  10 gallons or 640 loads for $19.  I put tea tree oil in it to help with the perma-stinch of workout clothes.  I also scented it with peppermint oil, so we will just be surrounded with the (hopefully) invigorating scent of peppermint.   DH said it smelled like a container of Alltoids. 

Heart rate monitor - I used to use one, but at the time I was using the 220-age for max HR.  Which put my max HR @ 187. In actuality, My max HR is probably closer to 205 since I can hold 193 for about 5 - 10 minutes. So I was constantly training in a lower zone, or really frustrated at figuring out the right HR for each zone.  When the non-replaceable  battery died in the chest strap, I didn't bother buying a new one.

2012-01-16 7:12 PM

Middle Tennessee
AND.... I ordered a Terry butterfly seat.  It should be here on Thursday,  I also angled my current seat down more, which helped tremendously with today's trainer ride.  I was trying to figure out why my 2 hr ride on roads was fine, but I was in real pain after 1 hr on the trainer.  It was because I stayed in aero position the  entire time on the trainer, and was only infrequently in it on the actual ride.  I still feel overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that goes along with cycling. 
2012-01-16 7:56 PM

User image

Regular
NWA
Hey gang! Well, it is and has been a Monday! My itunes downloaded audiobook for tonight's training ride is missing the first 11 chapters...sent a little email for some support. Now waiting for a new book to download. Then...trainer time. I have been using a heart rate monitor since 1998...polars mostly. Have always loved using them. That's back when I was spinning 6 days a week. The past 2.5 yrs I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 and it's a vast improvement from my newest polar which had the foot pod you calibrated. Anyway, if you've never used a HRM-they are a great way to track things. But, certainly not necessary...i don't use all the features on mine...Classes start tomorrow and i sat down and penciled in all my workouts for the week...fingers crossed no student crisis' arise! And give me patience learning the new response systems the university is requesting we utilize! Spent the entire day trying to figure out how to import their response participation into the grading software!Go get 'Em Goonies!!!Off to ride...T.
2012-01-16 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3993832

User image

KatNWater - 2012-01-16 7:12 PM AND.... I ordered a Terry butterfly seat.  It should be here on Thursday,  I also angled my current seat down more, which helped tremendously with today's trainer ride.  I was trying to figure out why my 2 hr ride on roads was fine, but I was in real pain after 1 hr on the trainer.  It was because I stayed in aero position the  entire time on the trainer, and was only infrequently in it on the actual ride.  I still feel overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that goes along with cycling. 

agree = trainer is a lot more of staying in one position.  While in a race I can get away with more minimal padding, on the trainer I have to dig out the big pad cycling shorts.  My tri bike has stock seat no problem.  my road bike (to play on) stock seat is KILLING me!  I will ck out a different seat - butterfly, huh.  I will investigate.

HR on the bike is really a great motivator on the trainer - it's easy to get bored - so I play games with trying to keep it in, say Zone 4 for a couple minutes, back down to Zone 2, and ramp it back up.  good interval/gear play.  I've not learned that on my runs, sad to say.  Once I ramp up on the run - seems like I'm DONE!

2012-01-16 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3993908

User image

Regular
NWA
iron_penguin - 2012-01-16 7:58 PM

KatNWater - 2012-01-16 7:12 PM AND.... I ordered a Terry butterfly seat.  It should be here on Thursday,  I also angled my current seat down more, which helped tremendously with today's trainer ride.  I was trying to figure out why my 2 hr ride on roads was fine, but I was in real pain after 1 hr on the trainer.  It was because I stayed in aero position the  entire time on the trainer, and was only infrequently in it on the actual ride.  I still feel overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that goes along with cycling. 

agree = trainer is a lot more of staying in one position.  While in a race I can get away with more minimal padding, on the trainer I have to dig out the big pad cycling shorts.  My tri bike has stock seat no problem.  my road bike (to play on) stock seat is KILLING me!  I will ck out a different seat - butterfly, huh.  I will investigate.

HR on the bike is really a great motivator on the trainer - it's easy to get bored - so I play games with trying to keep it in, say Zone 4 for a couple minutes, back down to Zone 2, and ramp it back up.  good interval/gear play.  I've not learned that on my runs, sad to say.  Once I ramp up on the run - seems like I'm DONE!

Thanks iron penguin for the HR idea...tried that tonight, helped pass the time with my audiobook. Sometimes I lose focus if I just listen and work less hard...but listening and having a goal was pretty cool.Btw-if anyone has audiobook recommendations-please pass along!T.
2012-01-16 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Unless you count the giant bag of dog poo I picked up in the yard, then I really didn't do anything creative today. 

But ya know what?   Sometimes that's OK with me.   Innocent

Good night everyone.

2012-01-16 11:24 PM

Middle Tennessee
UGGG!!! Wich is the lessor of two (or 3) evils? 14 mile run in 50 degree weather with high winds and cold rain, 14 miles on the dreadmill or skip the long run this week? My week is crazy, and for right now the long bike is more important, so the long run can't be moved to another day.
2012-01-17 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3993667

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
iron_penguin - 2012-01-16 6:18 PM

I did Howl at the Moon in Danville, Illinois - run or run/walk whatever you can for 8 hours in the hot August sun.  Started at 7am!  Oh, geez it was hot.. 3.2 mile loops - incredible support  But the post race drink fest and dancing (yes after 36.19 miles still have energy to dance) was totally worth it. 

I did Howl at the Moon something like 15 years ago. One of my favorite all time experiences.
2012-01-17 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
I'm a spinervals junkie too - I heart Coach Troy. (Unfortunately the hubby and young'uns were monopolizing the PS3/DVD player yesterday, so I rode the stationary bike at the Y instead. I did manage to catch up on People's Most Interesting Things of 2011.....(yawn)).

OK, I should get to work. Today, 3 mile run and strength on the plan. It's actually supposed to be nice this afternoon, so I may head outside for the run.

2012-01-17 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3993667

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-16 6:18 PM

I did Howl at the Moon in Danville, Illinois - run or run/walk whatever you can for 8 hours in the hot August sun.  Started at 7am!  Oh, geez it was hot.. 3.2 mile loops - incredible support  But the post race drink fest and dancing (yes after 36.19 miles still have energy to dance) was totally worth it.  It just happens to be the same weekend as Rev3 Dells this year.I've been keeping tecumseh on my short list - the endurance challenge draws me more than speed!  Trails have to wait until after I get the half marathon in - can risk injury (alas, my IT band reminds me of how gimpy I can be

I'll have to put Howl at the Moon on my maybe list.  Sounds like a fun time if I can convince some other crazies to join me!  I'm also intrigued by the Dells race but am a little afraid of the bike portion - sounds like it's going to be challenging.

2012-01-17 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3994189

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

KatNWater - 2012-01-17 12:24 AM UGGG!!! Wich is the lessor of two (or 3) evils? 14 mile run in 50 degree weather with high winds and cold rain, 14 miles on the dreadmill or skip the long run this week? My week is crazy, and for right now the long bike is more important, so the long run can't be moved to another day.

I would say head out and give it a shot.  Pick a course that will let you loop back home if you need.  If it turns into the Worst.Run.Ever. cut it short and call it a day.  Your other option is to hop on the treadmill and run as long as you can stand it.  If your gym has a short track you can always split it up into shorter treadmill segments interspersed with a few laps around the track.

2012-01-17 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I, too, have a long run on the schedule today.  Temperatures are going the wrong way today.  Each passing hour is bringing us back to the cold reality of winter. I guess that means I should get some food and do all my housework before I end up running in 30 degrees temps instead of 40 degree temps!
2012-01-17 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3994189

User image

Regular
NWA

KatNWater - 2012-01-16 11:24 PM UGGG!!! Wich is the lessor of two (or 3) evils? 14 mile run in 50 degree weather with high winds and cold rain, 14 miles on the dreadmill or skip the long run this week? My week is crazy, and for right now the long bike is more important, so the long run can't be moved to another day.

I like Emily's suggestion...anyone you can run with?  Some of my most memorable runs were in cold, rainy, windy days...gives you a chance to walk on the wild side!

Wherever you decide - 14 miles is the goal - but what an accomplishment!

2012-01-17 8:41 AM

New user

Happy Tuesday Everyone! I had an okay day yesterday. Managed a 10km bike ride in the am (first one)! Half was against the wind and I swear at one point going up a hill I thought I was going backwards. Lol. In the evening I went for a 5km run. Today my left foot metatarsal area is hurting. I went and picked up my stationary bike yesterday so im going to try and get a quick stationary bike ride in before work today! Hope everyone has a great day!

2012-01-17 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3991677

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
plink - 2012-01-15 5:20 PM

Hello all,

My name is Dawn and I was wondering if you had room for me in your group.  I live in Maine so getting out in the cold is getting challenging.  Today it was a 10 degree high so I stayed inside

I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 2010 and shortly after I hurt my knee and was in physical therapy all last winter.  I'm excited to go into 2012 season with the injury behind me. 

I completed my first triathlon last summer (Pirate Tri).  I also did several road races and the Dempsey Challenge (huge bike ride lead by Patrick Dempsey).  I plan on doing 2 to 3 tri's this year along with the Dempsey Challenge.  I've signed up for the Pirate Tri again and Rev3 is coming to Maine for the first time and I would love to do that.  They are offering a 1/2 Rev or Olympic distance.  I'm not sure if I could do the 1/2 Rev yet. 

I hope everyone's training is going well and that there is room in the group still!

Have a good night, Dawn

Hey there, goonies!  Just wanted to let everyone know that we have one more joining the group.  I think Dawn posted her bio at just about the same time I closed the group.  I figured we had room for one more so I invited her to join us for some fun and exciting tri talk.  I quoted her bio here just in cased you missed it.  So welcome to one last goonie!

2012-01-17 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3979206

St. Louis
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - open

Ok, so I thought I had turned on e-mail notifications to this thread but apparently I had not and I have been wondering for a while whether I had been abandonedWink but of course I have not. Anyway, straightened out that issue today and I am glad to see there is plenty of activity here.

As far as my swimming issues, I started out completely fresh in July using the Total Immersion system. I feel that I now have the technique down to some degree but I am so incredibly slow, it seems, that I wonder if I am completely off the mark. That said, I have only been to the pool once in the last couple of months so I am not expecting much in the immeadiate. However my last swim I actually started swimming 50's instead of 25's. For some reason I am very, very uncomfortable about getting even slightly winded while swimming and as soon as I reach a wall I grab it and catch my breath, so I guess in the end, my real issue is breathing. I hate to breath because I feel my self slowing, but then when I don't breathe and get out of breath I get anxious, lose my concentration and form and then stop. A viscious circle! But tomorrow I am back at it and I refuse to do less than 50's.

2012-01-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3994864

Middle Tennessee
Jamhuff - 2012-01-17 10:16 AM

Ok, so I thought I had turned on e-mail notifications to this thread but apparently I had not and I have been wondering for a while whether I had been abandonedWink but of course I have not. Anyway, straightened out that issue today and I am glad to see there is plenty of activity here.

As far as my swimming issues, I started out completely fresh in July using the Total Immersion system. I feel that I now have the technique down to some degree but I am so incredibly slow, it seems, that I wonder if I am completely off the mark. That said, I have only been to the pool once in the last couple of months so I am not expecting much in the immeadiate. However my last swim I actually started swimming 50's instead of 25's. For some reason I am very, very uncomfortable about getting even slightly winded while swimming and as soon as I reach a wall I grab it and catch my breath, so I guess in the end, my real issue is breathing. I hate to breath because I feel my self slowing, but then when I don't breathe and get out of breath I get anxious, lose my concentration and form and then stop. A viscious circle! But tomorrow I am back at it and I refuse to do less than 50's.

You really shouldn't be slowing down with a breath, it should just be incorporated into the stoke.  Clear as mud? Here is a drill that may help with the breathing.  Grab a kick board, hold it at the very end and stretch your arms out, like you would be doing a stoke.  You are going to do 1 arm repeats for 25 yds.  Start with your right arm.  So you will lightly hold the kick board with your left hand.  Your right hand will never hold the kick board, only graze it as you perform the stoke.  This drill is all about form, so slow, slow, slow.  First stoke is head down, face toward the bottom. You will start the next stroke when your right hand grazes the kick board.  As soon as you start the pull,(hand first goes underwater)  turn your head to breath.  Try to eliminate all vertical motion. (chin coming up, back of head going toward feet) The breath is all horizontal, like you are looking over your shoulder.  You want to breath the entire stroke.  From the very start of the pull, and through most of the recovery (when your arm in out of the water) As your hand passes the top of your head, start rotating your head back down, looking at the bottom again. You want to try to time it so you head is back down at the exact same time your right hand grazes the kick board.  Then do 1 stoke head down, exhaling the whole time.  Kick is very light, only enough to keep your feet from sinking. Repeat the 1 stroke inhale, 1 stroke exhale for 25 yrds, come back using your left hand.  Do 50 drill, 50 easy swim, breathing every three on your easy swim.  The swim is to put the drill into practice, so really think about the breathing on the 50 swim.  Repeat 2 or 3 times depending on fitness level.  

Hope this helps!

There is a break in the rain, so I am going to get in as many comfortable miles as possible.  Hope I can get the whole 14 in before the thunderstorms roll in....

2012-01-17 11:58 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Well it's Tuesday and two days post half mary...  Need to get back to work.  Going to hit the bike tonight for about an hour and then a two mile run. 

Question - now that I have committed to completing my first half IM this fall, what training plan would everyone recommend and when to start the official training?  What about a good base building plan from now til I start ramping up for some olys this summer?  I have looked at the free ones on here and they seem good, but not sure... 

I will also need to get some pointers on swim workouts...  I always just jump in the pool and start swiming freestyle with nothing esle for the whole time.  Besides cutting weight, I feel I can really benefit from getting better in the swim and my running.   

Joey

2012-01-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3994956

St. Louis

Swimming advice from KatNWater? Hmmmm.....

Just kidding. You actually did an outstanding job describing the drill and putting into words one specific thing that I am feeling. That is that when I breathe I do use some vertical movement instead of looking over my shoulder. In fact I have at times done exactly that--stayed horizontal--and could feel that it was "right" but as I mentioned, I usually end up losing my concentration and reverting to bad form.  A second point that I realized is that I don't think I start my breath until I start the pull, instead of as soon as my hand breaks the water, and now that I think about it I am probably too rushed to breathe properly anyway.  

Anyway, KatNWater, several good points! I printed your post and I am going to break it down into simple steps that I can remember and I will try the drill and incorporate the points tomorrow afternoon.

2012-01-17 2:00 PM

Middle Tennessee

I got a 9.6 mile run in today.  I just barely beat a tornado warning home.  I was doing different 2 mile out and back routes from my house, because of the storms.  Saw the sky do that pre-tornado thing. Ran really fast for home.  Walked in the door, and sure enough, a tornado warning had been issued.

I do find it somewhat troubling that I live in an area where I know what tornadic skies look like.  We get 5 or 6 tornado warning per year, and I don't live in "Tornado Ally".  

So since I did flat out sprint for the house - can I count today as a long run and speed work? Wink hahaha

2012-01-17 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Holy cow, KatnWater!

Glad you made it home safe!
2012-01-17 5:37 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Emily, thanks again for having me in the group!

KatNwater, I love your breakdown on breathing when swimming.  I also find this to be a challenge and can panic if I loose my breath/take in some water.  When I did my tri last year I ended up doing the side stroke most of the way due to my breathing being off.  My goal this year is to freestyle it the whole way. 

Does anyone have some suggestions on a website to get some bike clothes/gear.  I want to get clip on shoes and aero bars this year and I need some good pants for early spring rides.

2012-01-17 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3995479

User image

Regular
NWA
KatNWater - 2012-01-17 2:00 PM

I got a 9.6 mile run in today.  I just barely beat a tornado warning home.  I was doing different 2 mile out and back routes from my house, because of the storms.  Saw the sky do that pre-tornado thing. Ran really fast for home.  Walked in the door, and sure enough, a tornado warning had been issued.

I do find it somewhat troubling that I live in an area where I know what tornadic skies look like.  We get 5 or 6 tornado warning per year, and I don't live in "Tornado Ally".  

So since I did flat out sprint for the house - can I count today as a long run and speed work? Wink hahaha

Great run Kat!  I was working in the TN State Capitol when the tornado hit downtown Nashville.  I know what it means to live with tornadoes and not live in Tornado Alley.  The giant chandelier in the rotunda got the best workout I've ever seen...It was scary.  So, I'm pretty glad you got out of the weather when you did.  My Dad still lives in East TN and the most recent tornadoes managed to miss his house, but got their neighbors...had a high school classmate killed by that one.  I notice you hail from Middle TN.  Spent a few years in Nashville...great town.  Miss it.

Today you truly weathered the "storm".  Glad you're safe.

T.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23