BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-01-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4581167

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed
My go to exercise is sleeping!

But seriously, if my legs are particularly sore, I'll usually opt for an easy swim, as this is obviously non-weight bearing and I tend not to kick very much anyway.

Otherwise I might just reduce the intensity of the run/bike and make it an easy workout. Still get some aerobic benefit.

Don't underestimate the power of a total day off for recovery if you really need it, even if it is not scheduled. Don't try to make the session up, just let it slide. Just think - is missing one workout in the long run going to make a difference, compared to becoming overtrained/injured/sick and missing a week or more?

But you can't make that excuse for days and weeks!

2013-01-16 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Denton, TX

I hate swimming the most.  (I trained and did one tri in 1988 and one in 2011-had knee problems, had to stop running again).  So I am still learning how to swim efficiently.  I have a lot to learn.  

Running is kinda fun as I learn how to run 'chi style' and I am on a cycling race team - so I have to train and perform on the bike to stay on the team.   Running is so simple: shoes, layers, ipod....almost pure.  Brings back a lot of nice memories from when I ran competitively in the 80's.  

Yeah, you have probably figured out that I am probably the 'old guy' in the group.  

My fallback?  spinclass or workout in spin room at gym

2013-01-17 6:21 AM

User image

New user
Knoxville
I love all my sports equally. Ok barf. I'm with JFord. My go to sport changes. Right now its really difficult to cycle because of the weather and I can only tolerate spinning for so long. Like 60 min. So right now I'm into swimming. I love to trail run in the spring, cycling in the summer and swimming in the winter. Speaking of workouts. I missed my morning swim so I decided to double up and do a spin/run workout last night. A kind of gentle brick. I learned some things. First, I never want to run in bike shorts again. Anyone have suggestions for suitable gear? Tri shorts? Second, I could only run for about 5 min before my calves started to burn. I ended up walking until the pain subsided then I would try to run, but could only go a couple of minutes. I increased the elevation on the treadmill and walked it out. The good news is I woke up feeling fabulous. No soreness and lots of energy which I'm chalking up to drinking 2:1:1 religously after every workout.Should I check my transition fitness from biking to running occasionally? I was a little panicked thinking there was no way I could do the run on the tri I'm training for if this is how its going to feel. The tri is scheduled for next Dec so know I have time.Thanks all!
2013-01-17 6:21 AM

User image

New user
Knoxville
I love all my sports equally. Ok barf. I'm with JFord. My go to sport changes. Right now its really difficult to cycle because of the weather and I can only tolerate spinning for so long. Like 60 min. So right now I'm into swimming. I love to trail run in the spring, cycling in the summer and swimming in the winter. Speaking of workouts. I missed my morning swim so I decided to double up and do a spin/run workout last night. A kind of gentle brick. I learned some things. First, I never want to run in bike shorts again. Anyone have suggestions for suitable gear? Tri shorts? Second, I could only run for about 5 min before my calves started to burn. I ended up walking until the pain subsided then I would try to run, but could only go a couple of minutes. I increased the elevation on the treadmill and walked it out. The good news is I woke up feeling fabulous. No soreness and lots of energy which I'm chalking up to drinking 2:1:1 religously after every workout.Should I check my transition fitness from biking to running occasionally? I was a little panicked thinking there was no way I could do the run on the tri I'm training for if this is how its going to feel. The tri is scheduled for next Dec so know I have time.Thanks all!
2013-01-17 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4582139

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
reneehoyos - 2013-01-17 7:21 AM Anyone have suggestions for suitable gear? Tri shorts? Second, I could only run for about 5 min before my calves started to burn.
From my experience, the more brick workouts I do, the easier they are... to the point where I started running faster after I got of the bike.  Weird?  I know.  Also, I can't run in bike shorts.  Tri shorts are my outfit of choice when I plan on doing a brick without changing.
2013-01-17 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4580781

User image

Georgetown, MA

I don't really have one sport I dislike more than the others, although when the training starts getting long and monotonous I may sneak out on the water and get a good row in.  After spending the last 5 years training and racing in a boat I'm starting to feel a little void growing there.

2013-01-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4582139

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
reneehoyos - 2013-01-17 6:21 AM

Yes....tri shorts are a must. The chami is smaller in it so it takes some getting used to on the bike but you "nether regions" will thank you on the run.

Scour the internet for deals on tri gear....especially now. Lots of sales since it's winter and going into 2013 (closeout of their 2012 inventory).

Regarding the calf soreness/burn...you may have relied on your calves during the spin moreso than you would if you were on the road. Also....the last 1/5 of a mile or so (before transition) I'll usually stand on my peddles and stretch the calves/quads/hammys. This tip was passed onto me and it has worked well. Also....maybe look at compression sleeves or socks. I wear them on longer bikes and runs (and bricks).

I drink chocolate milk (no sugar added) after workouts....almost a perfect post workout drink.

2013-01-17 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Another tip I learned about coming off the bike was to get out of your shoes with about half a mile or less and pedal with your feet on top of the shoes, it has something to do with the placement of the feet and has helped me alot.

Yes to the Tri shorts!

Also, I will be out of pocket for the next two days. My grandfather passed away and my family and I will be traveling to the funeral. I expect Brad to pik up all my miles I will be missing!

2013-01-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4582471

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Prayers for you and your family.  Grandparents are very special people and a great loss when they are gone!  I'm sure Brad will love to take on all those miles for you.  That is what friends are for!!!!!
2013-01-17 10:54 AM

User image

New user

Sorry to hear for your loss.  I will take your bike miles, as of last night I bought a 2012 Cervelo P2.  So I will be learning on it now.

2013-01-17 11:36 AM

User image

New user
OKC

My condolences jford.  Hope everything works out and gets better.

My school/work schedule is all screwed up these next 2 weeks, so I'm trying to figure out where I'm fitting my workouts in.  I have a feeling they'll be late night workouts (ie- 10 or 11pm!).  At least I got a small brick workout in yesterday before this new schedule kicked in.

In any case, someone mentioned drinking 2:1:1... call me a noob if you must, but someone please school me.  I have no idea what those numbers mean.

Edited by Warner1281 2013-01-17 11:37 AM

2013-01-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4582596

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Congrats on the new bike!
2013-01-17 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Congrats on the bike.....P2's are nice and fast (well...the ones I see fly past me seem that way).

James....sorry, again, about your grandfather. And yes, I'll pick up the mileage for you. Since you're on the Couch to 5k program, I'll walk your 10 minutes for you.

2:1:1 - Carbs to Protein to Ammino Acid ratio.

Chocolate milk and Accelerade are about a 4:1 (4g of carbs to 1g of protein). Post workout, espcecially the long/hard ones you need to get a good mix of carbs and proteins. I prefer the 4:1, personally and Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk (which I get at Wal-Mart......sorry JFord....) is 4:1 and it's great.

2013-01-17 1:54 PM

User image

New user
OKC
Interesting.  I'll have to look at the exact mix of what I've been using when I get home.  Thanks for the info.
2013-01-17 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4582926

User image

New user
Knoxville
Chocolate milk and Accelerade are about a 4:1 (4g of carbs to 1g of protein). Post workout, espcecially the long/hard ones you need to get a good mix of carbs and proteins. I prefer the 4:1, personally and Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk (which I get at Wal-Mart......sorry JFord....) is 4:1 and it's great.
I have heard about chocolate milk. As soon as I finish this jug of 2:1:1, I'll give it a try. Looking for tri shorts online next!JFord, I'm so sorry for your loss.
2013-01-17 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

James: sorry about your loss.  Losing a grandparent is hard.

Bradley: I'm checking out your blog next!

Noel:  Ps2.  wow!  Now get rollin'!!

I love choco milk after a workout too but with either soy or almond milk.. I dont do dairy except for ice cream

So i ran 6 miles today and finally used my 910!  Now let me tell you that  it ONLY  took three times(prior to todays use) before i realized it needs to be turned OFF after use and then charged.  Doy!  Lots to learn. So many gadgets that I HAVE to have, yet have nooooo idea how to use them to my advantage...      

2013-01-18 6:09 AM

User image

New user

Interesting comments about the Chocolate milk after a work out.   I still stick to my protein shakes after a big workout.  Carb intake has never been a worry for me except possibly on the high side  

I am hoping to get the bike fit done this weekend so I can get out on the road next week when we are looking to have some more amazing weather here in KS.  Mid to high 50's in January???  Who would have thought.

I also get to meet with my swim coach for the first time tonight.  Hoping she can help my technique to shave some time off my swims.

2013-01-18 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4583899

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Nadamson12 - 2013-01-18 6:09 AM

Interesting comments about the Chocolate milk after a work out.   I still stick to my protein shakes after a big workout.  Carb intake has never been a worry for me except possibly on the high side  

I am hoping to get the bike fit done this weekend so I can get out on the road next week when we are looking to have some more amazing weather here in KS.  Mid to high 50's in January???  Who would have thought.

I also get to meet with my swim coach for the first time tonight.  Hoping she can help my technique to shave some time off my swims.

Look into the benefits of 4:1 vs. straight protein shakes for a recovery drink. I was a "protein guy" for the longest but for the chocolate milk to be a better option, quicker, cheaper, and a better recovery tool than my "tub o' whey".

Yes....Bike fit is the key. Without a proper fitting, you're not getting any benefits of an aero bike. I was fitted on my Fuji about 2 years ago. I'm going to get a Retul fit ($225) for the bike within the next month. Since I'm on the trainer, I'm using the bike as more of a spin bike now. I'm hoping the more advanced fit will help out when it's time for the road.

I haven't mentioned this on my blog either, yet.....but I've upgraded the wheels and tires on my bike and bought a new cassette (for the new wheels). I bought some Easton time trial wheels (not as 'deep dish' as a 404, but it does have aero properties and reduced weight than my current wheels). Once I have the components on and the fit done, I'm going to dedicate an entire post to her!

2013-01-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4582596

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Nadamson12 - 2013-01-17 10:54 AM

........as of last night I bought a 2012 Cervelo P2.  So I will be learning on it now.

James - Sorry for your loss.  It's difficult.  I remember loosing both of my grandparents.

Noel - I'm right there with you.  I purchased a 2012 Felt B12.  It is sitting in my basement still in the box.  I need to assemble it and get a fitting done also.  I don't have a trainer right now (will soon lobby the wife on getting one) so the rush to take care of the bike is low.  The weather here in St. Louis is NOT very bike friendly right now.

2013-01-18 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Question for the group - Anyone ever deal with hot spots in their feet when biking?  I got new shoes and new pedals/cleats but that didn't seem to fix it.  If I curl my toes really tight, the hot spot goes away.  But as soon as I release them, it comes back.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I think it comes more when I'm working hard like in a headwind or heavy resistance on the spin bike.
2013-01-19 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Thank you all for the kind comments. My grandfather was the most gentle soul you could ever meet. He was buried in the National Cemetery due to his service in WWII. I will tell you this, to stand in a cemetery, with American flags flying everywhere, having 80-90 year old men walking by a casket while saluting with TAPS being played int he distance is a very moving thing.

RIP ML

2013-01-19 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
So I'd like to set my Garmin 910 (which I have almost no idea how to use properly..) so that I can upload my training to my logs.  Ive loooked a little on BT for this info but havent found anything to help.  Any suggestions or sites to ck out for step by step  directions? 
2013-01-19 11:06 PM

User image

Denton, TX

Sorry about your Grandfather, James.  He will be missed....National Cemeteries are great places to reflect on our many blessings.  I feel we are losing touch with our national values every year, but don't get me started on that topic.

Choco milk - been using that as a recov for years.  Cheap and nutritious.  Even after 3 hr training rides.  Breakfast tacos usually follow an hour later.

Fitting:  I am getting fitted on Wed on my 'new' Specialized Transition....we are all doing the winter things.

Shoe Hotspots:  your shoe probably too tight.  Try loosening them a touch.  They may be tight b/c of thicker socks (I have this prob on longer rides because I will tighten my shoe sometimes); you can also swap insoles - that works wonders; and finally, the position of the cleat might need to slide a little fwd or back on the bottom of the shoe.  I bet too tight or cleat position are your culprits.

GOOD IDEA:  I spent time some quiet time last night planning out my Winter and Spring workouts- good feeling to have that done.   Ordered my Adamo seat and helmet from local bike shop - can't wait to check out the seat!

BRAD QUESTION: what wheel depth did you choose?  Maybe we can share a training ride some time, I think I read we live just down the road from each other.  Let me get my 'stuff' together and used to my new ride. 

GARMIN QUESTION: also I can't seem to get my Garmin to upload BT.  Anyone else have that problem?  Garmin 505.  I tried downloading new firefox and new garmin update....not sure what do try next.

Edited by Todd13 2013-01-20 8:27 AM
2013-01-20 9:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Today I ran a 5K trail race as part of a winter off road series I am doing.

NEW PR!!!!

25:51   15/42 AG   and 95/499 OA!!

BOOM!!!!!

2013-01-21 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Congrats JFord.....Doing Work!

Todd....The Eastons are the EA90 TT Wheels. They are either 32 or 38mm depth. But they are light as hell. I took my front wheel off just to compare and there was a noticeable difference. Granted the old wheel still had the tube/tire on it, but still very different. I can't wait to try them out. I should be getting the components in the mail this week and will be able to get the tubes/tires on the new set. And yes....we are close. I live in North McKinney, right off of 380. Once the weather gets more consistant (we had a cookout yesterday but bundled up today - haha) I like to ride White Rock loop. Great place for a brick too.

Michelle....where exactly are the hot spots?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27