BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4544908

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open
kevinbe - 2012-12-22 12:31 AM

Great to see all the new folks.  Looking forward to the group.  You ALL have very inspirational story's and I look forward to hearing/being inspired by your goals and journeys.

I got an 8 miler in today and will do a 6.2 miler tomorrow.  Todays long run pace was slacking, but tomorrow I hope to pick it up a little.  I got clearance to go out and watch my college team, UW, play in their bowl game tomorrow on TV at a local pub with many friends I haven't seen in a very long time.   I may be imbibing a little more than planned this month as I looked at their menu online.  Good times.

I may run Sunday as well and take monday off for family gift giving.  Funny how now days I'm thinking of how to fit workouts in around holidays.  Anyone else do that?

When Chris was a competitive body builder we would go visit my family, about two hours away for the holidays.  He made arrangements to lift at the bodybuilding gym by my mom's place every Christmas.  They were only open a few hours so we would have to make sure we were there on time!  My mom thought he was crazy!  

2012-12-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4545423

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2012-12-22 6:23 PM
Qua17 - 2012-12-22 2:36 PM

Kev - Just tuning into the bowl game... Looks like I missed a good first half.  How are those malty beverages treating you?  I've got a couple of new beers from Boulevard to try... Beer and football - does it get any better?

Did you get your 10K in?

To weigh in on the variety pack - I like them.  Sure, all of these 12 packs contain at least 1 beer you're probably not gonna love but sometimes you get surprised?  

6.2 miles at 44:38 a 7:10/mi pace.  Smokin'.

I had 4 different IPA's today, all were good, some better than the other.  The game came down to the last possession with the Huskies throwing an interception at the end.  Good to get out and socialize with friends over beers and bar food.

Tomorrow will  be a light 4.6 miler or I'll go get a swim/bike in at the gym.

You win 4 IPAs and a 6.2? I could not keep up on either account!

2012-12-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4545503

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2012-12-22 8:42 PM

I hope everyone is enjoying a nice and relaxing weekend.  A couple of quick things:

1. Please use your training logs.  As I mentioned in the last post, keeping track of your workouts and recording them will not only help you plan better workouts but doing so will also motivate you. Plus, they are a great way of helping us cheer each other on...
  2. When you write a post to let us know about a workout or to support a group member, be sure to include your name at that end.  That will really help us get to know one another.  To help with that, here's a table with all of our names with links to our training logs.
  3. Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
     thor67 Thor
     SportzVision Cynthia
     Wiff Kim
     jlangeneJared 
    mirthfuldragon Charles 
    Burd Alex 
     Qua17 David or DQ
  4. On Sunday or Monday, be sure to post your goals for the week.  Setting small attainable goals can put you in a good position to achieve those bigger goals - like running a marathon, getting to your goal weight, or becoming happier and healthier.  And again, not to sound like a broken record, but letting everyone know what your goals are helps us to support you.

So, here are my goals for the week: 1) Increase my running totals by running 4x this week. 2) Sign up for a yoga class. 3) Continue to log my calories so I don't end up eating dozens of oreos.

Dave

Week goals:  Strength train 3x with a mile on the treadmill to warm up.  Drink 5 12 oz bottles of water a day.

2012-12-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4545938

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

BigDH - 2012-12-23 11:45 AM To the matter of my formal application to this Society…. Beer Focus: I like beer, I would leave it like that but the truth is I like all beer, cheap beer, expensive beer, malty beers, fruit beers, IPA's, cold beer, warm beer, I even once had a 2.5 % grapefruit concoction that I claimed to be very disappointed with but in the end it contained some beer and really that is all it takes some times. I go in waves. Sometimes I am drinking sometimes I am not. Currently, yes, drinking a bit. Name: Darren. The bigDH part was perhaps when I was much bigger. Story: I have been here for 5 years, since 2008. I was in a mentor group then. Frankly it sucked balls (spoiler alert, this one won't). Anyways. I was a one and you are done type of guy. For triathlons I did a sprint, an oly, a HIM and an IM. I did another HIM in 2009. But I haven't been in a pool since 2010 so, yeah, don't even know where my suit is. As Al Picino says in Dead Poet's Society though, "I have been around you know." Currently and for 2010, 2011, and 2012 I have been entirely run focused. I ride my bike to work quite a bit but don't really train on it. I run tons. It is sick and unexplainable how much I run. I am slow but I show up everyday and put in my miles. I got a bunch of stuff going on...... Family Status: I am married to the love of my life and we have an almost 4 year old and an 18 month old who thinks he is an almost 4 year old. I am a lawyer and run my own shop and life is busy and stressful and most days I don't know which way is up. Current Training: I am running and biking. It is sick. I got a serious addiction here. Once you learn to use the logs you can look it up and see what I have been doing, frankly you don't want a piece of it. In 2012 I managed darn near 2 hours a day of bike/run. But coles notes version is that I ran about 85k a week this year (not a small amount was up and down steep slopes and mountains), (although this is a work in progress and well, I am doing my best but we will see), and I rode my bike more to work on a piece of garbage touring bike and then a slightly used cross bike this year then I did when I was training for my ironman on a TRI BIKE in 2008, so yeah. I have come a ways. I am at times proud and ashamed, but that is how it is. So yeah, for this year my only goal is to get to 90k a week on the running and, well the biking, I mean I am almost at 190 hours this year so if I could keep it around there next year that would be something, which I will because I hate driving but that is another story. Also throw in some yoga, I fell down on my goal this year due to my insane commitment to running and riding my bike to work, hopefully get back at it. This Year's Racing: There is only one race this year and that is in September and it is 100 miles in Lethbridge. I don't mean to sound stupid but seriously, I am going to finish that B I T C H this year if it kills me. I got some running races too, a marathon, a 50 mile trail race maybe something else. To be blunt, I am going to run until I collapse. Weight loss: I have lost some weight, 5 years ago I was 250, now I am 185. But, you know, Dave rules this world. I wish I could say I didn't care but the fact is carrying 185 lbs out there it no good for a runner so I am going to get though the first quarter and my marathon in May, and maybe look at dropping down to 179 for September. What will make me a good group member: I make goals and achieve them (or do my darnedest) and I expect the same of others. If you say it, frankly I will expect you to do it. You say something like “I am going to do an Ironaman” and 10 weeks out you still haven’t got in a 20 miler I’ll call you on. What will make Dave a good mentor: This guy rocks. Okay. Listen to me. I started a group back in January and Dave and a couple other guys carried it. They kept me going. I mean I STARTED IT and they kept me going. Sure we talk about beer, and whisky, and various other vices……… Clearly this group has taken off with its catchy name and irrepressible personalities, however… You want to have a chance. You want to succeed. You want to get off the couch and see what you can do. You come here. This guy is key. And he brings friends.

Seriously love this FU in  your face encouragement!  I am shaking in my runners right now at the thought of how I slacked off these past three months..how dare I; WTF?  You and this group are awesome!

Edited by SportzVision 2012-12-26 1:00 PM
2012-12-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4546052

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2012-12-23 2:04 PM

BigDH - 2012-12-23 9:49 AM beer related question: it is -24C out. My uninsulated garage is at -9C. The party starts at 4:30. When do I put the beer in the garage and for how long can I safely keep it out?

So pretty much, Your garage is a freezer.  I'd say from room temp to freezer, you've probably got a 45 min window +- 5 min.  until your beer is frozen.  Careful not to get lost on time or you may be serving beer cycles. 

beercycles...we have beercycles?
2012-12-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4546167

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
snarky - 2012-12-23 4:27 PM

Hello Everyone!!

I would love to be in this group.  There is nothing like support and accountability from others to keep me on task!

Name:  Elizabeth

Story:  I used to run x-country and track about 25 years ago and 20 pounds lighter. :/ I have only recently started exercising regularly again. It was a struggle getting used to the new limits of my body. But the running is coming back and I have been relatively injury free by taking it slow. I never really thought that a triathlon would be something I was interested in until I realized that I had to cross train if I was going to be able to keep running. So I dusted off my bike and took swim lessons over the summer. I have never been much of a swimmer, but I am excited to say that I have made some good progress. I figured out bilateral breathing, and I am no longer so freaked out about getting to the other side of the pool, that I can relax and enjoy what I am doing. At any rate, I figured if I am swimming, bicycling, and running, there really is no reason not to look into doing a tri (except that I have heard that they are addictive!) Some addictions are worth risking!  I've been lurking around this site, MFP forums, and other corners of the interebs looking for much information as possible - would love advice and support and will try to provide the same! 

Family Status. live with my sweetheart of 15 years

Current Training: Run 2X, Bike 2X, Swim 2X with one day rest.

This Year's races:  5K in November, 5K in December

2013 races:  HITS Napa Valley Sprint (April 2013) is the only one I have signed up for so far.

Weight Goal: I would love to drop about 10 pounds, but this has not been an active priority for me lately.  

I will see you in Napa!  Lets share some wine, (sorry boys..when in Rome...drink wine).  I camp while there so you can come visit my camp any time.

2012-12-26 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4548271

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
BigDH - 2012-12-25 10:49 AM

got a 21k run in today. 5 days left and 100 km to go to get my nut in for the year, gonna be tight. -24C out today, so done with this. Thankfully it is set to break tomorrow.

Sick run man! What kind of winter run gear do you use, I need to get some new stuff and since we are dealing with similar temperatures I would love some suggestions.. I have some great sugoi pants but thats about it.
2012-12-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Cooking a turkey today, Baby is being a Crankenstein! but tomorrow I go back to work and get to start working on my Training/Race Schedule for 2013 ( it is crazy how going to work now is actually a break....new dad problems!)

Our friends got us a Paleo cookbook for Christmas, anyone here gone down that road, or currently traveling on it

....I feel like we need to try it out just for the sheer amount of Bacon involved!!!
2012-12-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4548487

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
SportzVision - 2012-12-26 9:57 AM

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: In 2010 Sister Madonna, at 70 years old ran across my t.v. screen, (for the third or fourth time that fall) and I swear she looked over at me and said, "Why aren't you doing this?" So I threw my chips down and in my most annoyed teenager voice said, "Alright, Sister Madonna, I will do it!  Geez!"  And that's how I started.  No bike, hated, I mean HATED running, and could not swim.  Learned by doing and did a sprint that next summer just to see if I could.  I am a mental midget when it comes to training and these past few months I have not been motivated at all! Thanks to the DQ and the others on our beer drinkers group they have kept me in touch with my inner triathlete and whatever little motivation I have felt this fall has come from these great guys.  At my heaviest I weighed 235, (about 10 years ago) and lost 70lbs just making changes...haven't lost a pound doing tris but I am more fit than ever!

FAMILY STATUS: My support team includes my husband of 28 years, yes that is a long time and yes we are that old! He provides me with tons of encouragement.  He was previously a bodybuilder so he gets the training.   Kids, three girls, 28, 24, 22 and one punk and a half of a grandson! He is a great cheerleader to, nothing like hearing, "Go Grandma!" during a race.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am suppose to be training for a half marathon but have not started or to be more accurate I keep restarting.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I did the Rock and Roll Oly in San Diego and finished dead last!  So my goal last year was to do that race again and not finish dead last.  I moved up a few hundred places and improved my time by 20 mins or so.  

2013 RACES:  I watched the Malibu race this year and would really like to add that to my list.  It is a week after my San Diego race so I may replace the Rock and Roll with Malibu.  The atmosphere and vibe are amazing!

WEIGHT LOSS: I gained about 5 pounds in the last two months because of lack of training.  But what is worst is how squishy I feel...its gross!  So I want to firm up again and get back on track.  Losing 25-30 lbs would be great too! 

Favorite Beer: I like porters and stouts so I can't drink too many of those.  My fav of all time came from Caldera Brewery in Ashland, OR over the thanksgiving weekend in 2011.  It is creamy, decadent and like Christmas in your mouth, it is their seasonal Toasted Coconut Chocolate Porter!  To die for!

Did yoiu hear that, she's back on the board.  Glad to have you.  Now get out and get a workout in!  That half mary is only a few short months away.

2012-12-26 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Just read my post and thought I should clarify something. My 6 month old Daughter IS being cranky (teething, less sleep etc...) But she is still the best thing Ever!

I felt like I sounded a little un-greatful in that last post.
2012-12-26 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4548690

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

justinfss - 2012-12-26 1:24 PM Just read my post and thought I should clarify something. My 6 month old Daughter IS being cranky (teething, less sleep etc...) But she is still the best thing Ever! I felt like I sounded a little un-greatful in that last post.

all kids=some me time for the parents....totally understandable!

Kids keep you grounded!

2012-12-26 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4548347

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2012-12-26 10:33 AM

Good to see everyone enjoying the Christmas season! You can't live on rice cakes and celery, sometimes you need to enjoy yourselves.

Back to work tomorrow with "work" and working out! Hoping to get a run and a bike tomorrow!

New years....going to start focusing on quality of workouts...really need to buckle down and improve bike and run.

David how are you enjoying your sufferfest video?

I may break down and buy one to try it out...which one did you get again?

Oh yeah back at my goal of 190 for Easter...

have a great day everyone!

Thor - I love my sufferfest video!  Its title says it all: A Very Dark Place.  A dark place indeed.  It's so tough that I can't keep up with it.  But I will keep at it until I get there.  I love the idea of pain today = speed tomorrow and I really thrive on all the "fun" things they do to motivate you!  OIWth that said - I would go with another one - the 4 minute intervals are brutal...

Better get cranking on that weight loss goal or else the Easter Bunny is going skip your house.

2012-12-26 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4548690

User image

Expert

justinfss - 2012-12-26 2:24 PM Just read my post and thought I should clarify something. My 6 month old Daughter IS being cranky (teething, less sleep etc...) But she is still the best thing Ever! I felt like I sounded a little un-greatful in that last post.

As a dad of three - I totally get it.  No need to apologize - we have all been there and done that.  Hope the teething gets better.  Have you tried letter her chew on frozen fruit - like raspberries.  Works like a charm.

2012-12-26 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4548487

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2012-12-26 11:57 AM

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: In 2010 Sister Madonna, at 70 years old ran across my t.v. screen, (for the third or fourth time that fall) and I swear she looked over at me and said, "Why aren't you doing this?" So I threw my chips down and in my most annoyed teenager voice said, "Alright, Sister Madonna, I will do it!  Geez!"  And that's how I started.  No bike, hated, I mean HATED running, and could not swim.  Learned by doing and did a sprint that next summer just to see if I could.  I am a mental midget when it comes to training and these past few months I have not been motivated at all! Thanks to the DQ and the others on our beer drinkers group they have kept me in touch with my inner triathlete and whatever little motivation I have felt this fall has come from these great guys.  At my heaviest I weighed 235, (about 10 years ago) and lost 70lbs just making changes...haven't lost a pound doing tris but I am more fit than ever!

FAMILY STATUS: My support team includes my husband of 28 years, yes that is a long time and yes we are that old! He provides me with tons of encouragement.  He was previously a bodybuilder so he gets the training.   Kids, three girls, 28, 24, 22 and one punk and a half of a grandson! He is a great cheerleader to, nothing like hearing, "Go Grandma!" during a race.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am suppose to be training for a half marathon but have not started or to be more accurate I keep restarting.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I did the Rock and Roll Oly in San Diego and finished dead last!  So my goal last year was to do that race again and not finish dead last.  I moved up a few hundred places and improved my time by 20 mins or so.  

2013 RACES:  I watched the Malibu race this year and would really like to add that to my list.  It is a week after my San Diego race so I may replace the Rock and Roll with Malibu.  The atmosphere and vibe are amazing!

WEIGHT LOSS: I gained about 5 pounds in the last two months because of lack of training.  But what is worst is how squishy I feel...its gross!  So I want to firm up again and get back on track.  Losing 25-30 lbs would be great too! 

Favorite Beer: I like porters and stouts so I can't drink too many of those.  My fav of all time came from Caldera Brewery in Ashland, OR over the thanksgiving weekend in 2011.  It is creamy, decadent and like Christmas in your mouth, it is their seasonal Toasted Coconut Chocolate Porter!  To die for!

Welcome to the BDAS Cynthia.  Folks this woman is so tough.. when she passes people in races she turns to them, smiles, and in her best Dolph Lundgrin whispers, "I will break you!"  This is going to be her year.

2012-12-26 4:05 PM

User image

Expert

Justin - Hopefully this will make you feel better... I'm squeezing in a 30 minute trainer workout while at the same time checking in on BT.  Life with kids is crazy and sometimoes you just have to make the best of itLaughing

I spent today returning and exchanging gifts.  Shopping is in no way my thing, so I made the best of it by buying myself a new pair of asiacs!  I also killed time in the mall by creating a new playlist for my iphone.  Right now the gladiator soundtrack is coursing through the headphones and I'm ready to kill someone!

There is beer to drink so back to the workout.  Keep it up everyone - we are off to an awesome start!

2012-12-26 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Got my brick in for today, but I feel like maybe I should be drinking fruity beer afterwards Embarassed.  I wimped out and didn't brave the wind and decided I would use the stationary bike and treadmill in the gym instead.  Hope I don't get kicked outta the group ha ha!  

2012-12-26 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4548869

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

jlangene - 2012-12-26 2:28 PM Got my brick in for today, but I feel like maybe I should be drinking fruity beer afterwards Embarassed.  I wimped out and didn't brave the wind and decided I would use the stationary bike and treadmill in the gym instead.  Hope I don't get kicked outta the group ha ha!  

EmbarassedHaving just read this post, I feel a little "squishy" as my father in law would put it.  Good job on the stationary/dreadmill brick.  but you can always go wrong with the fruity beer.  Laughing

2012-12-26 6:44 PM

User image

Connecticut

Ton of good beers over the holiday.  Found the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA I was looking for and a few local brews.  Also had a lot of good food and fun with the family... what didnt happen is the gym.  I had planned on going spinning 3 times this week but they cancelled a few classes for the holiday.  New plan is just to get my butt moving to the gym 5 times before sunday night. 

2012-12-26 7:12 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Got a small tri in today for my workout and have my very first spin class tomorrow at 5:15am if the weather cooperates. Unsure about the spin class. 

I'm setting a goal of getting down to 280lbs by end of January. Until then no beer. There I said it and now it is set in stone. Have a  35 days to lose 19lbs. Should be a fun chase.

Good job everyone on getting back at it today. Especially those who have to brave the elements. 

Is anyone here running the virtual half marathon for the Sandy Hook elementary school? I am running my on Jan 5th. It's gonna suck as my farthest run in the last 4 months is 6 miles. It's gonna be a long slow run.

2012-12-26 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4549028

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Cassady - 2012-12-26 7:12 PM

Got a small tri in today for my workout and have my very first spin class tomorrow at 5:15am if the weather cooperates. Unsure about the spin class.

I enjoy my spin classes; I usually go three times per week during the winter, since I don't have a trainer yet.  It's probably an 80% replacement for the bike.  It also largely depends on the instructor.  Of my three instructors, one I despite, one is okay, and the other one leaves me in a sweaty pile on the floor.  Bring your cycling shorts, and SPD-cleat shoes, and you should be ready to rock.

I'm setting a goal of getting down to 280lbs by end of January. Until then no beer. There I said it and now it is set in stone. Have a  35 days to lose 19lbs. Should be a fun chase.  

That's a tall order, and good luck with it.  Personally, I would call half of that a note-worthy achievement.  

2012-12-26 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4548669

User image

Champion
Calgary
justinfss - 2012-12-26 1:11 PM

BigDH - 2012-12-25 10:49 AM

got a 21k run in today. 5 days left and 100 km to go to get my nut in for the year, gonna be tight. -24C out today, so done with this. Thankfully it is set to break tomorrow.

Sick run man! What kind of winter run gear do you use, I need to get some new stuff and since we are dealing with similar temperatures I would love some suggestions.. I have some great sugoi pants but thats about it.

I am usually good in cheap pair of shorts and a short sleeved tech shirt until -3 or so, depending on wind. I keep shorts on until -8 or so at which time I usually add a cheap pair of MEC long johns (and shorts and long johns are all I wear on my legs) and maybe a long sleeved tech shirt. At -10 I usually need to add a tshirt on top of the tech shirt, maybe a running jacket instead depending on the wind. -15 or so I usually throw on a tech shirt, t shirt and a running jacket. -20 I have a tech shirt, my MEC fleese jacket and a running jacket, really the fleese jacket is only for my arms though, my elbows just freeze when it gets cold. For hands it is those Red Olympic mittens and if it is too cold I throw on a pair of magic mitts.

For feet, just normal socks. Sometimes the toes get cold but I just wiggle them a bit and I still have all 10 (although missing a fair number of toe nails)

I read that you take the temperture and add 20 degrees to it then pick what you would wear if you were just standing around.

2012-12-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4549102

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-26 9:09 PM
Cassady - 2012-12-26 7:12 PM

I enjoy my spin classes; I usually go three times per week during the winter, since I don't have a trainer yet.  It's probably an 80% replacement for the bike.  It also largely depends on the instructor.  Of my three instructors, one I despite, one is okay, and the other one leaves me in a sweaty pile on the floor.  Bring your cycling shorts, and SPD-cleat shoes, and you should be ready to rock.

That's a tall order, and good luck with it.  Personally, I would call half of that a note-worthy achievement.  

Thanks for the suggestion on the shoes. I have some old spd cleats but have been using speed play the last two years. Just got out my cannondale mtb shoes so I'm set. 

Losing 19 lbs will be tought but since it will be the first 19lbs it should be the easiest.  Thanks again for the suggestion on the shoes.

2012-12-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4548891

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
kevinbe - 2012-12-26 3:50 PM

EmbarassedHaving just read this post, I feel a little "squishy" as my father in law would put it.  Good job on the stationary/dreadmill brick.  but you can always go wrong with the fruity beer.  Laughing

Even though I wimped out and did not run outside, I could not bring myself to drink fruity beer.  Instead it is Shiner Holiday Cheer and Santa Fe Nut Brown Ale.  Laughing 

2012-12-26 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Can't say I have done this but have come close.  Drinking and running not a good combination, would much rather drink to celebrate a run.

Still fun to read and shocked he wasn't run over.

http://exercisingwhileintoxicated.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/the-beer-every-mile-sf-half-marathon-13-beers-in-13-miles/

2012-12-26 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4549172

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
jlangene - 2012-12-26 7:08 PM
kevinbe - 2012-12-26 3:50 PM

Even though I wimped out and did not run outside, I could not bring myself to drink fruity beer.  Instead it is Shiner Holiday Cheer and Santa Fe Nut Brown Ale.  Laughing 

Your a better man for this decision.  If you ever need anyone to "talk you off the ledge"  and avoid the Fruity beer curse, I'm your guy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97