Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Perhaps I could ask a question. I tried in TT but didn't really get anywhere. In regard to altitude training, how far out from a key race should you train at altitude and what is the minimum amount of time you should spend?

JD definitely states that there are indeed benefits and that they tend to be permanent (as Elesa brought up, I was equally surprised.)

What he doesn't really elaborate on (or not that I saw) was the details of how to go about it.

I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I think the "permanent" statement needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I might be wrong about this, but I thought when he said that (in the first chapter or two), he indicated that he had taken 26 elite athletes, trained them in high altitudes, and then retested them about 20-30 years later. This is by no means representative when you are taking elite caliber athletes. There may be some merit to it, but as far as proof, that is not at all a good study.

Maybe he goes into more detail on it later in the book, or maybe I misremembered that page (without having it here at the moment to reference).

2013-09-18 1:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: wgraves7582

Seattle

So, I guess it's still not clear to me.

Are you guys suggesting that it's not significant enough to matter? I'm making the trip either way so, it's not a question of that.

When is the best time to take this trip (within a marathon cycle) and for how long does one need to be at elevation for it to have an effect?

2013-09-18 1:41 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by dtoce

Perhaps I could ask a question. I tried in TT but didn't really get anywhere. In regard to altitude training, how far out from a key race should you train at altitude and what is the minimum amount of time you should spend?

JD definitely states that there are indeed benefits and that they tend to be permanent (as Elesa brought up, I was equally surprised.)

What he doesn't really elaborate on (or not that I saw) was the details of how to go about it.

Unless you live in elevation (I can't remeber if it's considered 'elevation' until 5K feet?), it will be difficult to get a benefit. The effects of training or living at altitude take place over weeks. There are several mechanisms, but they include: some changes in blood volume (via EPO, no really) and 2-3 DPG and other technical stuff which I can't remember. The longer you are there, the more your body will adjust to the low oxygen and changes occur so that when you return to normal elevation, those changes persist for several weeks. It's like legal doping. And the effect is not permanent. Why do you ask? Are you going to buy a home hypoxemic tent?

lol funny one of my teammates is actually considering doing that with her signing bonus. 

My parents live at about 8,000' and I was going to visit them for a few weeks. I (and they) are flexible so, if there was some benefit to doing so, I would coordinate my trip with my marathon. 

*And yeah, I suppose the effect is not permanent per se but JD mentioned athletes that used altitude training to obtain gains in fitness continued to improve upon those gains after resuming training at lower elevation.

I think the original posting in TT was a bit vague on what you were trying to do. some questions I've had fell flat there too. Dale is covering much of it very well here though. The tent brought up something to do with that in I've been hearing it's more the recovery in altitude that brings on these changes. While training you want to get more of it so your body is better at processing it. Some actually do train with added oxygen tanks. Merit to this concept?

Did the changes sticking around have anything to do with age? My info on this is from awhile ago, but does it matter at all if one grows up at altitude vs doing more reaching adulthood? I've heard the changes could be somewhat different, but again, this could be rather dated. I haven't had an opportunity to stay up at altitude for a long time, so never really rechecked that.

Then for an upcoming race at altitude, even though the changes won't fully take place for a bit, the farther ahead you get there the more used to it you'll be. One day won't really do anything, but more time tends to be better.

2013-09-18 1:45 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Are you guys suggesting that it's not significant enough to matter? I'm making the trip either way so, it's not a question of that.

When is the best time to take this trip (within a marathon cycle) and for how long does one need to be at elevation for it to have an effect?

I know that the guys who went to Colorado a couple weeks before the Pro Cycling Challenge did well and credit that to having been training at altitude for a couple weeks (Sagan and Voigt are the two I can think of). So I suppose a couple weeks is enough to acclimate to the altitude but I have NO idea if that is the amount of time where you start to gain the physiological benefits. As far as when during the training cycle? I'm going to assume that the closer to the event, the better. But again, my .02

2013-09-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Where is the marathon at? What kind of altitude compared to most of your training? About how long will this trip be?

I honestly don't know that it's really worth trying to do unless the race is at altitude or (maybe) if you're going to be up high for a rather long time. Yes there will be some benefit training/recovery benefit from being up there, but that can be negated by not being able to push as much for some time while you're there, resulting in lower quality training sessions.

ETA: More info might come back to me later, but for now, mostly what I can say is that I would not do just a few week trip (or less) late in the build to the race unless perhaps if the race is at altitude.

Edited by brigby1 2013-09-18 1:56 PM

2013-09-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Where is the marathon at? What kind of altitude compared to most of your training? About how long will this trip be?

I honestly don't know that it's really worth trying to do unless the race is at altitude or (maybe) if you're going to be up high for a rather long time. Yes there will be some benefit training/recovery benefit from being up there, but that can be negated by not being able to push as much for some time while you're there, resulting in lower quality training sessions.

Boston. So, no significant elevation. My thought was not to train FOR elevation but to use elevation as a tool to, well, get faster.

The trip could be anywhere from a week to a month, the real limiter being max capacity of sharing space with my parents Smile

But whatever, it just sounds like it's  not worth it.

2013-09-18 2:03 PM

Seattle

And in stark contrast to a lot of what we are focusing on, Lauren Fleshman a nice article for Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/why-science-and-running-dont-always-mix?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-RunnerStories-_-ScienceAndRunning

Just something to keep in mind as you all read "Running Formula" Smile 

2013-09-18 2:10 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed My thought was not to train FOR elevation but to use elevation as a tool to, well, get faster.

The trip could be anywhere from a week to a month, the real limiter being max capacity of sharing space with my parents Smile

If you go out there and were to continue to train for at least a couple of weeks at elevation and timed it so that you would be in Boston for the race within 10 days or so, there will be a definite benefit. There will be daily loss of the blood volume changes which will probably be mostly lost after a couple of weeks.

If you were there for a month, it would probably be a slightly bigger gain than 2 weeks and slightly more prolonged but I'd be surprised if the changes in blood volume persisted longer than that...

(Congrats on Bawston. I love my Red Sox. When I did Savageman, I wore long red sox in honor of my team playing so well. The race next year will be very emotional for many...)
Dale
2013-09-18 2:13 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Seattle
Originally posted by Asalzwed My thought was not to train FORelevation but to use elevation as a tool to, well, get faster.

If you go out there and were to continue to train for at least a couple of weeks at elevation and timed it so that you would be in Boston for the race within 10 days or so, there will be a definite benefit. There will be daily loss of the blood volume changes which will probably be mostly lost after a couple of weeks. If you were there for a month, it would probably be a slightly bigger gain than 2 weeks and slightly more prolonged but I'd be surprised if the changes in blood volume persisted longer than that... (Congrats on Bawston. I love my Red Sox. When I did Savageman, I wore long red sox in honor of my team playing so well. The race next year will be very emotional for many...) Dale

Yeah. I ran it last year and I was only going to do it once but I couldn't let that be how I remembered it.

We went to a Red Sox game while we were there (and I plan to go again this time.) There is NOTHING like Fenway!

2013-09-18 2:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

And in stark contrast to a lot of what we are focusing on, Lauren Fleshman a nice article for Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/why-science-and-running-dont-always-mix?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-RunnerStories-_-ScienceAndRunning

As much as I like data & numbers, I always keep the last part in mind. Just a tool.

2013-09-18 2:32 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Good article. It reminded me of my thoughts when i was reading JD's discussion on the 4 types of runners. I decided I am a 3.5. I'm definitely not in the gifted category and as much as I enjoy running I wonder about my motivation, my willingness to hurt to get better.

2013-09-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Yes, that is a nice article. The power of the mind cannot be overlooked. You can be defeated in a race before you even start if you do not have a 'can do' attitude.

2013-09-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Seattle
Originally posted by rrrunner

Good article. It reminded me of my thoughts when i was reading JD's discussion on the 4 types of runners. I decided I am a 3.5. I'm definitely not in the gifted category and as much as I enjoy running I wonder about my motivation, my willingness to hurt to get better.

Yeah, I am totally a 3. Glad I picked up some of that work ethic along the way! I credit my parents, for all that wood splitting, hauling, moving and stacking I had to do as a child. 

2013-09-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed>Yeah, I am totally a 3. Glad I picked up some of that work ethic along the way! I credit my parents, for all that wood splitting, hauling, moving and stacking I had to do as a child. 

I just peeked at your race log...and think you are closer to gifted than you think. Lots of top 1%, there girl.
Wow.

(Ben's one of those top 1% guys)

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-18 2:58 PM
2013-09-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed>Yeah, I am totally a 3. Glad I picked up some of that work ethic along the way! I credit my parents, for all that wood splitting, hauling, moving and stacking I had to do as a child. 
I just peeked at your race log...and think you are closer to gifted than you think. Lots of top 1%, there girl. Wow. (Ben's one of those top 1% guys)

Well,  it's a relative term - talent, but  in the perspective of a Champion? 

But thank you! 

2013-09-18 3:09 PM

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by rrrunner

Yeah, I am totally a 3. Glad I picked up some of that work ethic along the way! I credit my parents, for all that wood splitting, hauling, moving and stacking I had to do as a child. 

Pretty sure if you're a 3, I'm a 30. I have to work my arse off to be middle of the pack running wise. My ceiling is low, no question, but I'm giving it what I've got.
2013-09-18 3:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

I just peeked at your race log...and think you are closer to gifted than you think. Lots of top 1%, there girl. Wow. (Ben's one of those top 1% guys)

Well,  it's a relative term - talent, but  in the perspective of a Champion? 

But thank you! 

I know what you're saying. Don't know about fully being a 1, but 3 doesn't fit either as you started doing well fairly early. I picked up tri fairly quick, but was already fairly athletic. I've had to work for everything along the way. Rather mediocre at first if a new activity is not similar to something else. I'll make noticeable gains with hard work, but stay flat if I don't. Not really much of a middle ground.

2013-09-18 3:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Yeah I'm a 3.  It's taken a lot to get to where I am, and I've still got so far to go.
2013-09-18 3:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

You just need to get one of these:
http://www.trainingmask.com/products/TRAINING-MASK-2.0.html

"No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask..." 

2013-09-18 4:03 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Seattle
Originally posted by msteiner

Now we are getting into Brad's territory Smile

It reminds me of Rupp's asthma mask

2013-09-18 4:13 PM

Regular
Jenison, MI

You can still be my sidekick, Robin, you know.
2013-09-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

Seattle
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

You can still be my sidekick, Robin, you know.

Perfect Smile

2013-09-18 6:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by popsracer

I'm thinking maybe we can break the book into part I, part II and part IV.

Let's leave the discussion open to talk about part I for another week and then we can start talking about part II around Wednesday the 25. Of course, if something comes up from the previous portion go ahead and post about it but we should be moving on as we only have a month.

If people want to talk about part III, go ahead, but I don't really think a lot of time should be spent there.

So, what are people's initial thoughts? Is there anything that you find difficult to understand? Is there anything that dramatically changed how you viewed running/ training? 

Yeah, like everything..

Seriously, a couple of big takeaways so far.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

It is more efficient and the risk of injury is actually less to do most of your miles at easy and THEN do proper quality work for focuses on speed, VO2max, economy, and strength.  I just did my first (R) workout and it was really eye opening.  Before reading this I would have missed the true purpose.  I had viewed it before as more of an engine thing whereas it is more of a neuromuscular adaptation thing.  It was easier than I thought it would be even with stupidly surpassing my VDOT paces.

Last takeaway was after doing a proper (I) workout I've learned they suck.  I usually reserve barfing for 5k finish line.  Actually didn't quite barf but was very close.

Steve, I feel like we're having the same heuristic moments with JD. I am really trying to be better with keeping my easy runs easy throughout. At some point in my easy runs I get all cray cray and rationalize doing something defeatist to the purpose, coughzonefivecough. JD is helping me bind and gag the naughty running angel so she doesn't crash my mellow. I'll look forward to making her hurl.
2013-09-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: switch

Seattle
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by popsracer

I'm thinking maybe we can break the book into part I, part II and part IV.

Let's leave the discussion open to talk about part I for another week and then we can start talking about part II around Wednesday the 25. Of course, if something comes up from the previous portion go ahead and post about it but we should be moving on as we only have a month.

If people want to talk about part III, go ahead, but I don't really think a lot of time should be spent there.

So, what are people's initial thoughts? Is there anything that you find difficult to understand? Is there anything that dramatically changed how you viewed running/ training? 

Yeah, like everything..

Seriously, a couple of big takeaways so far.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

It is more efficient and the risk of injury is actually less to do most of your miles at easy and THEN do proper quality work for focuses on speed, VO2max, economy, and strength.  I just did my first (R) workout and it was really eye opening.  Before reading this I would have missed the true purpose.  I had viewed it before as more of an engine thing whereas it is more of a neuromuscular adaptation thing.  It was easier than I thought it would be even with stupidly surpassing my VDOT paces.

Last takeaway was after doing a proper (I) workout I've learned they suck.  I usually reserve barfing for 5k finish line.  Actually didn't quite barf but was very close.

Steve, I feel like we're having the same heuristic moments with JD. I am really trying to be better with keeping my easy runs easy throughout. At some point in my easy runs I get all cray cray and rationalize doing something defeatist to the purpose, coughzonefivecough. JD is helping me bind and gag the naughty running angel so she doesn't crash my mellow. I'll look forward to making her hurl.

hawt.

Uh - where was I? Oh yes--So funny, this is one thing I have NEVER had an issue with. It may blow your minds how slow-as-molasses I run sometimes. I don't know if there is such thing as "too slow" but if there is, I have toed that line for sure.

Conversely, when I started added intensity (and when I raced, before I did any intensity) it was a major shock to my body. Now that I regularly incorporate intensity into my weekly training, it's much less of a shock and I recovery much more quickly.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1884 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1725 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.