Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED
I missed it by 1 hour.

Please let me know if a spot opens up.

Thanks.

2013-12-31 2:01 PM
in reply to: Panther

I just registered for my first ever sprint triathlon! It's May 17 in Ottawa. It's getting real!!

Ok...gotta go work out!

Brenda
2013-12-31 2:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by Panther I missed it by 1 hour. Please let me know if a spot opens up. Thanks.

Panther - you're in.  Last one. 

2013-12-31 2:40 PM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Gizmosmom I just registered for my first ever sprint triathlon! It's May 17 in Ottawa. It's getting real!! Ok...gotta go work out! Brenda

Awesome!  

2013-12-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN

Originally posted by badmo77a Step 1 taken today. I joined Triathlon Ontario to cover my sanctioning fees for my races this year. And to see what the TO magazine is like. Putting my money where my mouth is.

Good stuff Adrian!

2013-12-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Panther I missed it by 1 hour. Please let me know if a spot opens up. Thanks.

I'll try to do up another list of members tomorrow!

2013-12-31 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Awesome!! THANK YOU!

Name: Panther a.k.a. Dave

Family Status: Married 28 years, 1 adult daughter

Story: OK, here's the tough truth.... I'm a 48 yo. Male. I live in the country on a small, organic farm. Wife works in the city. FAR too many animals to list, daughter is married and lives 70 minutes away. We have no neighbors and the nearest gym is 40 minutes away. Nearest pool is 25 minutes. I struggle deeply with motivation and am also a recovering alcoholic. I have yet to do a triathlon, however, I am fully decked out with all the requisite equipment and have converted the attached garage into a decent home gym complete with Tacx bike trainer. Turning 40 flew by me without noticing. My real mid-life crisis hit last spring. Turning 48 (2 weeks ago) was a fright that I wasn't prepared for as the dreaded 50 is just around the corner. So to limit this sordid story, I'll cut to the end. My daughter made a bet with me that I wouldn't/couldn't stick with training long enough to be able to nail a significant triathlon in 2014. So the gauntlet was thrown down. The game is on. And I have the resources and nothing but time on my hands to do this. Therefore.......

2014 Race Goals: Milton Sprint Tri - June 2014 -- and the ultimate bet winning goal = Niagara Half Iron September 21, 2014

Weight Loss: 6' tall. Current weight is 174 lbs. I would ideally like to be 165 and lose the gut. But that's about it. I have extensive knowledge in regards to organics, diet and supplements, so I'm good as far as that goes.

So my goals are insanely ambitious, but vital. I'm running out of time and I have a LOT to make up for. I WILL be a success story. And I am looking forward to the help that I can get from you guys here! Thanks for letting me in. You won't regret it.
2013-12-31 2:59 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Dave, welcome and I look forward to meeting you at the Niagara Half Iron in September.  

2013-12-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4921127

Chuck Pitts, Age: 50, 4 kids; 24, 21, 16, 4.... Married for 27 years. Won the New York Marathon Lottery and have an entry to run my first marathon in New York in November of 2014. I have run (run/walk) in 3 half marathons and will plan 1 or 2 more along a training plan for the Nov. New York Marathon. My plan was to look for a half ironman this year whether I received an entry for New York marathon so now, I would still like to plan for one and use that as cross training and a tri goal as well. Novice at a TRI other than reading books. Looking forward to having some real world advice from those that know what they are doing.
2013-12-31 3:16 PM
in reply to: chuckpitts

User image

Originally posted by chuckpitts Chuck Pitts, Age: 50, 4 kids; 24, 21, 16, 4.... Married for 27 years. Won the New York Marathon Lottery and have an entry to run my first marathon in New York in November of 2014. I have run (run/walk) in 3 half marathons and will plan 1 or 2 more along a training plan for the Nov. New York Marathon. My plan was to look for a half ironman this year whether I received an entry for New York marathon so now, I would still like to plan for one and use that as cross training and a tri goal as well. Novice at a TRI other than reading books. Looking forward to having some real world advice from those that know what they are doing.

Welcome Chuck.  Congrats on the NYC lottery.  A couple of my friends ran this year and had a blast.

2013-12-31 3:27 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

2013-12-31 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Dave!  I think a sprint in June and a HIM in September sound like really good races.  Very cool that you have a whole home gym set up in the garage.  I assume you didn't splurge on the endless pool though, right?

Struggling with motivation isn't entirely uncommon, but now that you've set some goal races and have had the gauntlet thrown, let me suggest you also log your workouts in BT's training log.  It's a great motivator (I know watching the graph grow with weekly volume is a motivator for me) and will allow you to analyze it to see what is or isn't working for you.

Looking forward to following along in your journey!

2013-12-31 6:10 PM
in reply to: chuckpitts

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Chuck.  Congrats on the NYC Marathon!  You mentioned that you'd like to do a HIM before the marathon as cross training -- have you considered a shorter event, like a sprint or an Oly distance race?  I've never raced a marathon, but I can't imagine doing marathon training on top of HIM training....but sprints and Olys may be somewhat more manageable.  HIM distance races will be around for a long time if you decide to put it off for a year.  If you do decide to stick with the HIM plan, listen to your body.  Come hang out here with us regardless of which race distance you decide on  

2013-12-31 6:13 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

I hit the pool today for the first time since before Thanksgiving.  The month and a half off combined with poor sleep and not enough calories today made me cut the workout at 1000 yards (that and I got surprised by about 100 screaming kids jumping into the pool about 300 yards in...).

Just wanted to share that even for someone who has swam in the past, starting again after time off is still difficult/painful.  If you're just starting out and it's difficult, though I'm new to triathlons, I'd say from my experience that it is normal.  Keep at it!

Slow and steady - slow and steady.

2013-12-31 7:47 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

I played football, basketball, and softball. I committed to a sprint triathlon that will be on April 26, 2014. I signed up and paid entry fee. I don't like to waste money, so this should motivate me. What type of running plan do you advise? Since, I'm just getting started.
2014-01-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
This question will definitely confirm my rookie status!!

I received a pair of cycling shoes (Shimano WM51) and pedals (Look Keo Plus) for Christmas. The shoes have arrived---just waiting for pedal delivery. I was a little shocked to see that I'm going to have to install the cleats in the cycling shoes--duh (I didn't think this all the way through)?! I'm assuming (based on the description) that my pedals will include the cleats. Question for the group---are the pedals something that I can install on my bike by myself (with guidance from my husband who is much more mechanically inclined!) or is this something that I should leave to the experts at the bike store? I'm very determined to learn much more about my bike and how to care for it/repair it but I also want to have a healthy respect for those tasks that require professional attention. The bike that I have is a hybrid: Fuji Absolute 2.0. I don't love it but it's what I have to work with and I'm not going to splurge on a different bike until I have a few tris under my belt and a better sense of what features I like.

Thanks for your guidance!

2014-01-01 8:55 AM
in reply to: RobinRN

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hi Robin, you should have no problem putting the pedals on yourself.  The only thing to keep in mind is that the left pedal is reverse threaded so it tightens counter clockwise while the right is the normal clockwise.  The reverse is obviously true for when you remove your existing pedals.  Depending on how long your current pedals have been on there and how tightly they were put on, removing them may take some force.  Remember that reverse thread so you don't make it tighter!  

The trickier part will be putting the cleats on the shoe (and yes the cleats will come with the pedals).  There is nothing technically difficult about putting the cleat on, it's just a few screws, but cleat misalignment can cause knee problems.  Unfortunately there is no one answer to how to put them on as everyone is a little different.  Without having a professional do a fitting and cleat alignment for you, you probably want to set them up as neutral as possible.  They likely have adjust-ability both front to back and side to side (I haven't used those particular ones so i'm not sure of that).  I would start out with everything centered and see how that feels.

2014-01-01 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Here is a new list of members.  I hope I didn't miss anyone or make any typos, please let me know if I did!

2014 Rookies

Jason NJasonaxteraaArend
ligersandtionsNicoleLynn!Lynn
badmo77aAdrianTheresaMTheresa
sammerjamSamanthaJerry AJerry
ssgreerScottparit50Debby
GizmosmomBrendaLady MagooKelly
luvschipsDonnamothorntonMo
NeithanarJackweirdfish Sean
DanmartinidsDanLcarslakeLacey
tvannormanTrevorRobinRNRobin
Ericka_FinishErickaKieferKiefer
golfgirl88SandraPantherDave
chuckpittsChuck 

Edited by axteraa 2014-01-02 2:43 AM
2014-01-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: mothornton

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by mothornton I played football, basketball, and softball. I committed to a sprint triathlon that will be on April 26, 2014. I signed up and paid entry fee. I don't like to waste money, so this should motivate me. What type of running plan do you advise? Since, I'm just getting started.

I think Jason mentioned that one of the topics he'd like to discuss is the BarryP running philosophy, so I won't go into it too much.  I know Arend and I both run frequently (5-7 days a week), and Jason was doing that when he was running as well.  I've found that doing frequent, but fairly short, runs has helped me stay pretty injury free and improve my speed.

Some general advice about running (without knowing exactly where you are) would be to keep your runs as EASY as possible and take walk breaks as necessary. People (especially those without a strong run base) tend to get injured when they start adding in speed work.  Running high volumes at low intensities will still allow you to race reasonably fast -- not "to your potential", but it sure beats getting injured and not being able to run at all!

What's your current running like?  Sounds like you've been pretty active, so a Couch to 5k plan may not be entirely appropriate.  For what it's worth, when I started running again back in August, I started with 10 minute runs five days a week and slowly added to that (keeping total weekly volume increases to no more than 10%).

2014-01-01 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Anyone have fun training plans for today?

I raced a 5k this morning  It wasn't my best time ever, but it was a great way to start off the new year!

I think I'll get on the trainer this afternoon to spin some of the fatigue out of my legs.  Looking forward to a fun, productive, and healthy 2014!  Glad to be sharing it with all of you

2014-01-01 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm not sure I'd call it fun but I ran 9.5K this morning in the cold.  At least the sun was out today!

2014-01-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Nicole and Arend - you guys are very motivating!

I swam a leisurely 2000 yds and followed up with a leisurely 5 mile run. Then i went out to breakfast with my son and ate biscuits and gravy. Some days a girl just gotta have her gravy...

Any tips for keeping goggles "fog free"?

Donna
2014-01-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Nicole and Arend - you guys are very motivating! I swam a leisurely 2000 yds and followed up with a leisurely 5 mile run. Then i went out to breakfast with my son and ate biscuits and gravy. Some days a girl just gotta have her gravy... Any tips for keeping goggles "fog free"? Donna

Donna, nice work on the swim and the run!

Here is my anti-fog trick for goggles.  I have a small travel sized plastic bottle that I leave in my swim bag.  In it is a solution of baby shampoo and water - probably about a 10:1 ratio (10 water, 1 baby shampoo).  Before every swim I put in 3-4 drops in each eye cup and swirl it around inside with my finger.  It will keep them fog free for as much as a 2 hour swim.   One small bottle like that will probably last me an entire season.

2014-01-01 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by luvschips HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Nicole and Arend - you guys are very motivating! I swam a leisurely 2000 yds and followed up with a leisurely 5 mile run. Then i went out to breakfast with my son and ate biscuits and gravy. Some days a girl just gotta have her gravy... Any tips for keeping goggles "fog free"? Donna

Donna, nice work on the swim and the run!

Here is my anti-fog trick for goggles.  I have a small travel sized plastic bottle that I leave in my swim bag.  In it is a solution of baby shampoo and water - probably about a 10:1 ratio (10 water, 1 baby shampoo).  Before every swim I put in 3-4 drops in each eye cup and swirl it around inside with my finger.  It will keep them fog free for as much as a 2 hour swim.   One small bottle like that will probably last me an entire season.

I spit in mine, rub it around on the lenses, then rinse them out.  It's an old diving thing we used to do, which also works for goggles.  That said, I don't think everyone's spit is as magic as mine

Nice work on the swim and run!  Nice way to start the year, huh?

2014-01-01 2:57 PM

I am taking the rest of the week off ...but plan to start back to training on Monday January 6th, when I get back into a regular schedule again.

I am not a strong swimmer and one thing I noticed when I was taking lessons and swimming regularly was that my ankles would really start to bother me, both during the workout and after. I realize this is probably a sign that my ankles aren't strong enough, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Am I maybe doing something wrong with my kick when swimming or are there exercises I can do to strengthen my ankles? I want to try to avoid this problem this time around. Thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16