BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-05 2:45 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by trei

Anyone else racing this weekend? I have an Olympic on Sunday. First tri of the year for me. To wetsuit or not will be a game time decision. I haven't had the wetsuit on myself yet this year, so may just have to get in the water with it on Saturday to get over the Boa Constrictor feeling myself. Temperature looks perfect (70's), but may have some rain.
- Todd

Enjoy!!!

Nothing beats the excitement of racing. You just never know what might happen on race day...

2014-06-05 4:50 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by PsyTri So I'm here in the northern hemisphere on the cusp of summer thinking, "who the heck wears a wetsuit at this time of year, except people in the southern hem . . . OHHHHHH! I remember seeing that Anna lived down under. I get it!" But seriously, how cold is the water in your part of the globe?

OK I'm guessing you cold weather people are going to laugh...it's 24 deg C at the moment, really cold for us. Google tells me that's 75F. Here it'll get down to maybe 21-22 through winter. Gets a lot colder further down the coast (currents come up from Antarctica) brrrr...

2014-06-05 5:01 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by cadnams Ran a 10 minute PB for the HM distance last week in training.

10 minute PB!! Awesome!!

Marilyn, nice work on taking the plunge and registering for those races! It does give you a sense of purpose....that reminds me, I must get it together and actually register for the Challenge in August. If I keep dragging the chain I might miss out.

Todd, good luck with the Oly on Sunday! Sounds like you've got a good chance at nice weather, it should be a lot of fun .

2014-06-05 6:22 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Taringa

Originally posted by PsyTri So I'm here in the northern hemisphere on the cusp of summer thinking, "who the heck wears a wetsuit at this time of year, except people in the southern hem . . . OHHHHHH! I remember seeing that Anna lived down under. I get it!" But seriously, how cold is the water in your part of the globe?

OK I'm guessing you cold weather people are going to laugh...it's 24 deg C at the moment, really cold for us. Google tells me that's 75F. Here it'll get down to maybe 21-22 through winter. Gets a lot colder further down the coast (currents come up from Antarctica) brrrr...

that is my dream climate  how hot do you get in the summertime?

2014-06-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Looking forward to those race reports after this weekend!

BTW, the water's around 81 or 82 F right now! No wet suit for me, although one of the guys I swam with over Memorial Day weekend was wearing his, preparing for Alcatraz. Said it was damn hot in there, but I'm sure he was nice and toasty out in San Francisco -- 55 F -- yeesh!

2014-06-05 9:21 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by cadnams

Hi all.

Is it just me, or is the group quiet on the injury front at the moment...? That's awesome.

Me, I have another mysterious issue, from the bike this time. My wonderful physio always finds a way to fix me, even when he's not 100% sure of what I've done, so I'm sure I'll be back on deck soon. Its a pity, despite a couple of injuries I've been travelling well recently. Ran a 10 minute PB for the HM distance last week in training.

A ten minute PB is huge! Congrats!

2014-06-06 1:29 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Good luck you races this weekend everyone! Looking forward to the race reports (I love reading race reports)

2014-06-06 1:32 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by ransick

A ten minute PB is huge! Congrats!

Thanks Mike. Probably says more about how few times I've run that distance than anything else, but it was a pleasant surprise.

I totally emptied the tank though, gave it everything.

2014-06-06 5:44 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by mehaner

that is my dream climate  how hot do you get in the summertime?

Summer air temps here around 32-35C (90-95F) most days, water around 26 (79), I love it.  It gets a lot colder (and hotter, generally both in the same day) where Chris lives. 

2014-06-06 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cadnams Good luck you races this weekend everyone! Looking forward to the race reports (I love reading race reports)

me too - i stalk race reports and training blogs on this site.  LOVE THEM.

2014-06-06 9:08 AM

User image

Does a 10 min PB mean you beat your personal best in the half marathon by 10 minutes? What was your time? Is that your planned race pace? Can you "capture" that by knowing what you did differently?

2014-06-06 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by trei Anyone else racing this weekend? I have an Olympic on Sunday. First tri of the year for me. To wetsuit or not will be a game time decision. I haven't had the wetsuit on myself yet this year, so may just have to get in the water with it on Saturday to get over the Boa Constrictor feeling myself. Temperature looks perfect (70's), but may have some rain. - Todd

Me!  But water temps at the race site are already 76 and it's going to be a hot week, I don't even own a wetsuit, and the swim is only 500m.  I'll probably be the only person without one, I usually am

Haha, I have often been one of the few without a wetsuit! I did one race where the water temp was 67 I think... no wetsuit. it was awesome.

2014-06-06 2:08 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Chris a 10 minute PB is great! As I continue in this endeavor I find it harder and harder to shave off time (law of averages I guess....and maybe age???)
I guess I'll be writing a race report sometime next week since it looks like there will be some readers. I've gotten kind of lax on those lately.
Rebecca, I've kind of made a decision to try really hard not to use a wetsuit on Sunday. I will have it along however, just in case I get cold feet

-Todd
2014-06-06 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Todd, if you write a race report, you'll get comments on it. Have a great time!

2014-06-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Went out for a really enjoyable bike ride this morning.  A bit cool start at 14C/57F but when I was in the sunshine it was really nice.

Also lots of other cyclists and runners.  It was quite neat that most of these other people all waved or said, "Hi." as we passed.  Lots of good smiles from them as well.

Not much left for me to do before my race.  Just a swim and run on Monday then packing up on Tuesday.  I feel pretty good about the swim and bike but not very good about the run.  I was running better before my calf injury and lately I just feel poorly prepared for the run.

2014-06-08 9:18 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
How did everyone racing do this weekend?

2014-06-08 11:49 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

No racing here but had a nice 2 hour ride yesterday and an invigorating trail run this morning. It was meant to be a long easy run but I took a different trail to usual and ended up with a steep rocky scramble/boulder hopping very scenic route, it was great! Sun coming up over the hills, wallabies hopping away and little finches flittering about in the grass trees and scrub. I'll take some photos next time I'm out that way.

So come on, racers, we want the reports! 

2014-06-09 5:52 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Finished my race report while eating breakfast and icing my ankle this morning.  YAY!

2014-06-09 3:08 PM

User image

Just finished my race report also. Took 3rd in my age group. Before everyone gets excited I have to say there were a total of 6 males 40-44 doing the Olympic distance, so..... Great weather and water temperature. I did wear a partial wetsuit per report. Bike speed needs to be improved, but probably not much to be gained in two weeks before my next Olympic distance.
-Todd
2014-06-09 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

So a cautionary tale re: Marilyn's open brakes.

I was riding with a woman (a trainer, no less) who realized while riding that her front wheel's quick disconnect was open. She thought, "I can reach down and close that, no problem." Well.... Yeah, she crashed. When I came up to her (and the small crowd already gathered), her wrist was caught between the front fork and the spokes and some ppl were working on getting the wheel off. As soon as they did, her wrist ballooned right up. I took her to the hospital - yup, broken wrist. Fortunately, that was the only significant injury. Her helmet shattered, but her head was fine!

So any time I think, "I can just..." I instead stop and do the prudent thing. 
Not sure what I would do in a race though. Racing can make you do stupid things sometimes.

Anywho... Said it on your report too. Great race Marilyn! (and I have ridden a race with my front brakes open, but not the back ones, b/c my wheel was just a little out of true. that was fine - hardly noticed.)

2014-06-09 8:27 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Congrats!!!!

@Trei
Good Podium Finish!!!! love reading your report!!!

@Marilyn
Exciting race,sprained ankle,locked brakes your tough out there. I envy those after race crabcakes!!!

2014-06-09 8:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by trei

Just finished my race report also. Took 3rd in my age group. Before everyone gets excited I have to say there were a total of 6 males 40-44 doing the Olympic distance, so..... Great weather and water temperature. I did wear a partial wetsuit per report. Bike speed needs to be improved, but probably not much to be gained in two weeks before my next Olympic distance.
-Todd

Great report! Again, you were cooking out there. What kind of times were the other AG'ers ahead of you putting up in S-B-R? For olympic, looked pretty solid to me.
2014-06-09 11:23 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Todd and Marilyn - I just read your respective race reports and left comments.  Great jobs both of you.  Very nice times too.  I'm quite envious.

Had a great swim today with some fun speed drills.  After today I'll be swimming exclusively only in open waters for the summer.

2014-06-10 5:35 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great race reports guys! Sounds like you both had a lot of fun

2014-06-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Great race reports guys! Sounds like you both had a lot of fun

I love racing, even though I'm never going to be fast, I'm never going to win, I just LOVE that feeling!  Looking forward to my next race in September already, and that is just not soon enough!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38701 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74173 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.