BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-01-22 7:30 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Congragulations on the new bike James. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

In the mean time, to satisfy everyones bike p0rn needs, my new commuter arrived yesterday, and tonight will get her maiden ride.

Not as exciting as a new tri bike, but I am looking forward to my first ride since May 2017. Although I am a bit fearfull of the hill I need to get up to get home...

(new toy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
new toy.jpg (158KB - 3 downloads)

2019-01-22 10:09 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - congrats on NBD!!  And really curious to know how the singlespeed works on hills.  Any hill.  Been thinking about how folks do it, when I find myself running out of granny gears getting up modest hills...

Myself, I did not work out today but I did spend a few hours getting to know the finer points of saddle adjustment (almost there), and especially front and rear derailleur adjustment and indexing. I've watched the GCN and Park Tools videos on both front and rear adjustment, troubleshooting, and installation at least 5 times a piece. Right now on the trainer she seems to be shifting great, which is a far cry from where I was yesterday on the path - shifts on the rear would be anywhere from half a shift to one and a half shifts; and the front was anywhere from shifting ok to chain falling off to crank locking up (!)  Hopefully I can get it out tomorrow and test it under load, or at least do so on the trainer.  I need to go for a run too, so this might be a good brick opportunity. 

2019-01-22 10:14 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Time for an informal bike poll.  What are your front and rear gear setups?  I've currently got a 52/36 front (race is like 53/39) and an 11-28 rear.  I'm so incredibly bad at hills that I'm constantly granny shifting even for bumps in the road, absolutely nothing like what Jenn would encounter in the Green Mountains.  So I've purchased a 50/34 'Compact' crankset, and we'll see how that goes.

So what do you have front and rear, and are you more of a climber or flatlander?

2019-01-23 9:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Time for an informal bike poll.  What are your front and rear gear setups?  I've currently got a 52/36 front (race is like 53/39) and an 11-28 rear.  I'm so incredibly bad at hills that I'm constantly granny shifting even for bumps in the road, absolutely nothing like what Jenn would encounter in the Green Mountains.  So I've purchased a 50/34 'Compact' crankset, and we'll see how that goes.

So what do you have front and rear, and are you more of a climber or flatlander?

I have no idea what any of that means, lol.
2019-01-23 10:15 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog Congragulations on the new bike James. Looking forward to seeing some photos. In the mean time, to satisfy everyones bike p0rn needs, my new commuter arrived yesterday, and tonight will get her maiden ride. Not as exciting as a new tri bike, but I am looking forward to my first ride since May 2017. Although I am a bit fearfull of the hill I need to get up to get home...

That is cool!!!!!!!

2019-01-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

50/34 compact on my roadbike with erm....something on the rear! Lol

1 x on my commuter with something different on the rear!

I shall investigate! 

Things i do know are I am now the proud owner of new gear:

and:

from a London based bike shop/cafe called Look Mum No Hands.

I also with Christmas money got myself a new jersey:

based on an old school ice lolly called zoom!

Irony as I wear it as I ain't quick! Lol!

Edited by sappho96 2019-01-23 10:25 AM

2019-01-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

Commuter is 42 front and 11/36 rear and is VERY orange

2019-01-23 10:29 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog Congragulations on the new bike James. Looking forward to seeing some photos. In the mean time, to satisfy everyones bike p0rn needs, my new commuter arrived yesterday, and tonight will get her maiden ride. Not as exciting as a new tri bike, but I am looking forward to my first ride since May 2017. Although I am a bit fearfull of the hill I need to get up to get home...

What gear set up is that? Single or fixed?

2019-01-23 12:21 PM

User image

Time for an informal bike poll.  What are your front and rear gear setups?

I ride an old steel frame road bike, I think from the late 70s. (I remember looking it up years ago, but now i can't find any info on it) Years ago, before triathlon, I was using it as a comuter. The rear derailleur broke, and I replaced it with a single speed conversion. The last two years I've been racing it as a 40 front/14 rear single speed. At the end of last season I got a new derailleur & cog set. Now its 40/52 front, & I think 11/28 rear.

I'm debating upgrading to combi-shifters, they'll cost more than the bike is worth & I'm planning on getting a new bike next year.
2019-01-23 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have a 50/34 crankset and I switch out my cassettes between 12-23 11 sp. for flatlanding and the trainer, and 11-28 11 sp. for more varying terrain outdoors.  The 12-23 gets me up most hills fine because I'm more of a grinder than a spinner on hills anyway.

2019-01-23 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96
That is cool!!!!!!!

Thanks, and genuinely cost me less than a pair of running shoes. So I'm pretty happy.

Its a single speed, not fixed. 44 crankset, 16 cassette.

Edited by bulfrog 2019-01-23 1:39 PM

2019-01-23 1:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

My Tri bike was set up with a 50/34 crank set, and 12-27 cassette. Although, 11-28 would have been better.
2019-01-23 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Andrew - congrats on NBD!!  And really curious to know how the singlespeed works on hills.  Any hill.  Been thinking about how folks do it, when I find myself running out of granny gears getting up modest hills...

Well this is my first single speed, so I'll have to let you know. But as far as I can figure its just a case of suck it up and mash up any hills you come across. That said, its a change for me, I'm definitely a granny gear spin up hills kind of guy. But I figure, being forced to do a bit of hard climbing can only be a good thing for my bike fitness long term...
2019-01-23 4:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by bulfrog

Well this is my first single speed, so I'll have to let you know. But as far as I can figure its just a case of suck it up and mash up any hills you come across. That said, its a change for me, I'm definitely a granny gear spin up hills kind of guy. But I figure, being forced to do a bit of hard climbing can only be a good thing for my bike fitness long term...

Yup, that's pretty much how to do it. Learn to love and cherish every ounce of momentum. A lot of the time I found it was easier to push to keep my speed up, rather than loose speed and have a long, even harder slog.
2019-01-23 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Bikes have gears?!? Lol. I have no idea what any numbers associated with my bikes mean. I should probably get on that at some point, but right now, I get in and ride. And know I need 700 tubes.

Hour trainer ride followed by 20’ brick run and IT band strengthening exercises. Those exercises were tough after workout!!
2019-01-24 7:07 AM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Bikes have gears?!? Lol. I have no idea what any numbers associated with my bikes mean.

There's numbers junkies out there who know all the ratios & what's best for what, (mostly pros) but it's not that important as long as you know what works for you. It's easy to WAY over think it.

Basically, the space on the gear that each tooth takes up is always going to be the same so the chain fits in it. Therefore you can use the tooth number to compare gear ratios. The closer to the same number that the front and the back are, the easier it is to peddle. The further apart they are, the faster you go. If the tooth counts were the same, your wheel would turn 1 time for each time you pedal. (Say 32 teeth in the front ring and 32 teeth on the rear cog) If the front ring has 2x the number of teeth as the cog in the back it turns your wheel twice for each time you pedal. (Say 40 teeth in the front and 20 on the rear cog) Etc.

Edited by riles32807 2019-01-24 7:09 AM

2019-01-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Bikes have gears?!? Lol. I have no idea what any numbers associated with my bikes mean.

Right there with you! And doubt that will ever change for me. As those of you who have been here for awhile know, the bike is not my favorite.
2019-01-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Swim Squad this morning only got in 1200 yds but it was ROUGH. We focused on sprints today. After warmup and some 75s, we did 8x50 stroke (we all did IM order) on 4:00. We all saw 4:00 and were like, that's way too long. NOPE. My arms are dead. I tried to fold a sheet after and had to keep resting my arms, lol
2019-01-24 9:38 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Swim Squad this morning only got in 1200 yds but it was ROUGH. We focused on sprints today. After warmup and some 75s, we did 8x50 stroke (we all did IM order) on 4:00. We all saw 4:00 and were like, that's way too long. NOPE. My arms are dead. I tried to fold a sheet after and had to keep resting my arms, lol

I've had boot camp workouts that did that to me but never a swim workout!  Nicole, you are a legend in the pool!

2019-01-24 9:46 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks all for the responses on gearing.  Each number is just the number of teeth on the gear - more teeth in front is harder, more teeth in the rear is easier.  Riles - definitely agree that there are too many ways to look at the numbers.  I was mostly polling for range, which is how I look at my own.  If I said 'man I'm having to granny shift all the time (meaning small front and large rear) for hills' because the big front (my 52) is too hard; and everyone told me they had a 52/36 front and had no issues climbing - I'd chalk it up to "I need to get a lot more climbing practice in!".

Instead I'm thinking the semi-pro 52/36 up front are too big for most of us, and 50/34 is better.  If I get to the point I'm spinning out on the big ring, I can always go back to my 52/36.  

Anyway I had gotten a deal on the 50/34 that I REALLY couldn't pass up.  I have a weird bottom bracket, that most bikes don't use.  So seeing a ~$200 crankset that fits on clearance for $70 then with a '50% off one clearance item' thing, I couldn't not get it for $41 shipped.

2019-01-24 9:50 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Got my brick in yesterday, though the bike portion was on the trainer.  30 minutes with some tempo work mixed in, followed by a 1:46 T2 (!) and a 15 minute high paced run.

I'm just miserable at transitions.  T1, ok - sometimes there's a long run from the water, plus you need to remove a wetsuit.  But T2, the bike and run are usually close and you're changing a minimum number of things.  And since I was on the trainer I didn't have a helmet to deal with.  And it still took me almost 2 mins to swap shoes and grab a hat and sunglasses.  And I didn't have to run from bike dismount.  Any tips other than setting up transition in my yard and pretending I'm racing?

2019-01-24 9:54 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by sappho96

I love this jersey!

[/QUOTE]

2019-01-24 12:54 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
John—I wish I knew how to cut transition times! 1:46 seems speedy to me! Sometimes I think I must have stopped for a sandwich or something. At home, my bike to run transitions involve fighting off the dog, who wants to lick the sweat off my entire body AND is super excited because she knows a run means she gets to go. I once got a black eye because she popped her head up into my nose while I was trying to put on my shoes.

Awful hour run today. I couldn’t figure out how to keep my hr down at all, even walking and going downhill. Oh well—done for today!

Edited by drfoodlove 2019-01-24 1:15 PM
2019-01-24 1:44 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Awful hour run today. I couldn’t figure out how to keep my hr down at all, even walking and going downhill. Oh well—done for today!

If you figure out how to do this, let me know!  I can't keep my HR down for a Z2 workout unless I stop and take a nap...

Me - Resting HR 48

Also me - stands up too fast, 162

Edited by firebert 2019-01-24 1:45 PM
2019-01-24 2:37 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove Bikes have gears?!? Lol. I have no idea what any numbers associated with my bikes mean.
Right there with you! And doubt that will ever change for me. As those of you who have been here for awhile know, the bike is not my favorite.

Is anybody noticing a correlation between certain NFL teams and not loving cycling?!?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8362 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa