General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-03-04 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3383299

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

I'm going to have my kids set up an unoffical aid station on the bike.  Figure I can get half the field DQ with a little outside assistance.

hahaha great idea!

2011-03-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
My first two outdoor rides have been sad.  15.4 mph super hilly.  16.7 super windy hilly.
2011-03-05 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3383977

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

pga_mike - 2011-03-05 10:08 AM My first two outdoor rides have been sad.  15.4 mph super hilly.  16.7 super windy hilly.

Don't get all bummed out about it.  It's because you've been increasing your weekly volume.  You can't increase volume & intensity at the same time.  You will suprise yourself after a 3 week taper.

2011-03-06 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

I love recovery weeks I get so rejuvenated.  I can’t wait to hit it hard again this week.

Edited by tribean 2011-03-06 1:35 PM
2011-03-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3384309

User image

Seattle, WA
trinitwit - 2011-03-05 4:14 PM

pga_mike - 2011-03-05 10:08 AM My first two outdoor rides have been sad.  15.4 mph super hilly.  16.7 super windy hilly.

Don't get all bummed out about it.  It's because you've been increasing your weekly volume.  You can't increase volume & intensity at the same time.  You will suprise yourself after a 3 week taper.

You mean this little guy?

Okay, okay, that was cheesy.  I couldn't help myself.  Tongue out  Just thought we could use some fun on this thread now that everyone seems to be in "build mode".

On another note, I rode the CdA computrainer course today.  I think the computer probably didn't do a good job imitating the hills in Hayden.  They didn't seem hard enough.  I'm going to try to start riding outside and finding the hilliest courses possible starting next weekend.  Weather permitting, of course.

2011-03-06 3:52 PM

User image

Elite
SE

I hate recovery weeks. However, they are really good for you if you are ok with tolerating the anxiety. I saw Jorge refer to it as adaptation week and I like that title better. Kind of like how I hate the word offseason. I prefer non-racing season.

Anyhow, I have now pounded my taint into submission. 2x4+ hour trainer rides in the last couple weeks not to mention the other riding when the weather was better.

I don't know how you Northern residing triathletes do it. I was born and raised in NJ, but I am so glad to be in Northeast Ga, so I can train outdoors more than if I lived up North.  I don't think I'd ever move back. Hope y'all (see I can speak Southern) had a great training/racing weekend!

2011-03-06 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3385211

Master
, California

I don't know how you Northern residing triathletes do it.

I usually do about 1 hour at a time on the trainer, maybe up to 2 hours max as the event draws near.  Anything longer than that - well, let's just say I spend a lot of time cleaning my bike Laughing 

2011-03-06 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

If I didn't live in southern California, I would've given up this thing long time ago.  Tongue out  Sorry folks, I had to say it.  Training year-round outside is the only way to go.  Of course, there are other things we have to deal with over here.

2011-03-06 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Lets talk tires a little if everyone does not mind.  Spent some time today switching tires around to replace some very worn out tires from my training wheels.  Long story short, my race wheels are tireless.  Spent some time also looking at rolling resistance numbers etc today.  We have no shortage of opinions here and would love to hear them on the balance of weight/puncture resistance and an overall tire pick.  I had cont. 4000s on my race wheels which all reviews have as a great tire.  I did have a flat with this tire in a half iron last year.  May have been bad luck but it did happen.
2011-03-06 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3385370

User image

Elite
SE
Bear in mind that I am not a "weight weenie". I am a clydes and i ride clinchers and a titanium bike. However, I use the michelin pro3s. Ill add this tip i picked up for IMAZ was to buy the slime tubes which weigh a tad bit more but are much LESS likely to flat. they aren't very expensive and you never have to worry about flatting like you would on normal kenda tubes.
2011-03-06 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

kstater39 - 2011-03-06 4:11 PM Lets talk tires a little if everyone does not mind.  Spent some time today switching tires around to replace some very worn out tires from my training wheels.  Long story short, my race wheels are tireless.  Spent some time also looking at rolling resistance numbers etc today.  We have no shortage of opinions here and would love to hear them on the balance of weight/puncture resistance and an overall tire pick.  I had cont. 4000s on my race wheels which all reviews have as a great tire.  I did have a flat with this tire in a half iron last year.  May have been bad luck but it did happen.

Great question and I'm curious to hear responses!  I used the Pro3s for a few years and switched to the Conti 4000s last year.  I've had less flats on the Contis, but that may have just been a result of less riding last year.  I currently have Gatorskins on my bike so that I can ride outside in this crummy weather without flatting every time I go out.  I'm not sure what I'll switch back to before race day.

2011-03-06 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

I'm running clinchers, Vitorria Diamonte Pro on my tri bike.  I've had all types of problems flatting with my tri bike, road bike & mtn bike out here with the dreaded "goat head thorns" prevalent in the southwest.  My problems went away when I started using Kevlar tire liners.  Yeah, it's an additional 50g per tire.  With that kind of protection, you may even opt for carrying no spare tubes or repair?  The risk is up to the user.

2011-03-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3385250

User image

Veteran
WA
spudone - 2011-03-06 1:19 PM

I don't know how you Northern residing triathletes do it

Lets just say I have discovered there are not many things more gross than my bike shirt/shorts after a 3 hour endurance spin class at the gym.
YUCK!

Edited by achen2iron 2011-03-06 9:28 PM
2011-03-07 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Assume you are riding clincher...

1) Latex tubes are a must - it's free speed and there is no downside.  I'd recommend you have a butyl as a spare though... latex can be harder to change without pinching, especially if you are in a rush and sweaty.

2) You need to think about both aerodynamics and rolling resistance.  What rims are you using on race day?  Most zipps do better with a wider (22-23mm) tire, whereas HED tri spoke would be best on a narrower (19-20mm) tire.

I'll just tell you that I ride SRAM s80 (essentially zipp808 rims).  I took as gospel what TomA and AFM (AFM did the crr testing @ biketechreview) on slowtwitch advise... they've literally done the research for us and know more about making bikes go faster via gear choices than I'll ever forget.  They generally suggest an aero but low rr tire up front, and a more robust but still low rr tire in back.  For me (because of my rims) that would either be:

1) bontrager r4 aero (front) and specialized mondo open tubular (rear) -- that last one is a clincher despite the name.

2) specialized mondo open tubular on both... loss of a little aero but increase in durability.

The Mich Pro Race 3 or Continental GP4000S are good all around tires for training and racing if you are only going to have one tire (though I would go with Vittoria Open Corso Evo CX for those myself)... but they are NOT racing tires.  I would NEVER use them on race day unless I was particularly concerned about flats due to crappy pavement on a large part of the course or something.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2011-03-07 9:56 AM
2011-03-07 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Although I have been disagreed with on this board before about tires, I am with trinitwit.  This is an IM, not an Oly and most people are not trying to KQ (we seemed to have lost that little piece a while back in some of these conversations).  The most important thing is NOT flatting.  There is not a tire made that will slow you down as much as 10+ mins on the side of the road.  That does not even account for the possible cramping, anxiety and loss of rythem an unplanned stop like that does to you.  I like the idea of using an insert, that way you can use a tire with less rolling resistance but also have the protection.  We make such a big deal out of 100 grams... which is 3.75 ounces or 8 tablespoons of water...  Like Sarah I train with gatorskins and have flatted twice in 8000+ miles of training, once was a pinch flat  in a crack and once the tries had 3500+ miles on them and were almost worn to the cords.  I do not recommend racing on them, but if you had to it would still be faster than a flat.  I do get that additional RR also uses more wattage which could hurt the run, but again is your goal to finish or KQ, very different approaches to which equipment you use on race day.

All that said, I have 808's with tubulars for racing.  I had always used Conti Competition and had great luck up until IMLP where I flatted, and have had back luck since with them.  I flatted another one in a training ride the day before St. Anthony's.  Not sure if they changed them, but I am not risking it.  Was thinking about Zipp Tangente.  Any input on these tires?  Again, my number one goal is finishing the bike without a(nother) 15 min pit stop like I had at IMLP. 

The net net with tires and flatting is that it is the one of the biggest uncontrollables in triathlon and no matter how much you train, prepare and overthink it, it does not discriminate.  It is as much luck as choice.  All I can say to all of us is... GOOD LUCK Cool

Edited by gremlin327 2011-03-07 10:00 AM
2011-03-07 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I run Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CXs.  I was a Conti GP/Triathlon user until I did some homework and discovered how slow they are versus some other tires.  I've used the Corsa's since last year and not a single flat.   

The second link has some nice examples of latex vs butyl.  It does make a big difference.   

http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/rolres.html

http://www.industrializedcyclist.com/tiretest.pdf

Edited by 3Aims 2011-03-07 9:59 AM

2011-03-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3386131

User image

Veteran
Dallas

gremlin327 - 2011-03-07 9:52 AM Was thinking about Zipp Tangente. 

That tire is made by Vittoria and is the same as the Open Corsa EVO CX except it costs $10 more per tire.  All per a rep I talked to last year. 

2011-03-07 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3386143

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Thanks for that advice 3Aims.  I am thinking 21mm up front and 23 in the back.  Or would you do 21 for both... Thoughts?

2011-03-07 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

gremlin327 - 2011-03-07 10:52 AM Although I have been disagreed with on this board before about tires, I am with trinitwit.  This is an IM, not an Oly and most people are not trying to KQ (we seemed to have lost that little piece a while back in some of these conversations).  The most important thing is NOT flatting.  There is not a tire made that will slow you down as much as 10+ mins on the side of the road.  That does not even account for the possible cramping, anxiety and loss of rythem an unplanned stop like that does to you.  I like the idea of using an insert, that way you can use a tire with less rolling resistance but also have the protection.  We make such a big deal out of 100 grams... do which is 3.75 ounces or 8 tablespoons of water...  Like Sarah I train with gatorskins and have flatted twice in 8000+ miles of training, once was a pinch flat  in a crack and once the tries had 3500+ miles on them and were almost worn to the cords.  I do not recommend racing on them, but if you had to it would still be faster than a flat.

All that said, I have 808's with tubulars for racing.  I had always used Conti Competition and had great luck up until IMLP where I flatted, and have had back luck since with them.  I flatted another one in a training ride the day before St. Anthony's.  Not sure if they changed them, but I am not risking it.  Was thinking about Zipp Tangente.  Any input on these tires?  Again, my number one goal is finishing the bike without a(nother) 15 min pit stop like I had at IMLP. 

No doubt it's all about finding the right balance between fast and flat-proof.  IMHO don't let your bad luck scare you away from a faster tire.  Tangente 21mm tubular is one of the best choices for an 808, imho, though the Vittoria Corso Evo I mentioned previously will probably be better at the speeds I ride.  Here's a thread for you with comments from Jordan Rapp (note, zipp sponsored but I believe very fair about not just plugging his sponsors without backing it up with data/argument).

An insert completely throws off any crr values... it's a measure of how much energy it takes to deform the tire/tube.  IMHO there is no point to riding a low crr tire + an insert... better off just riding something more robust sans insert.

I haven't looked at the math in a while, but latex tubes + loww crr tires can add save several minutes from your bike split... even more minutes than a quickly-changed flat can cost you.  Considering the vast majority of people riding this setup do not flat on race day, I personally think it is worth the very slight risk.

As for whether these conversations are relevant to those who do not want to KQ... here's a quick story.  Last year I had just finished IMLP... 10 minutes before the bike cutoff.  That meant I had a front row seat to people who missed the bike cutoff by a few seconds or minutes.  One woman, who missed by less than 2 minutes, broke down in tears BEGGING the official to let her try the run... that this was her 6th time trying and she had never finished the bike.  She was riding armadillos, and my heart ached for her because I can pretty much guarantee that they cost her more than 2 minutes. 

Faster is faster, regardless of how actually fast you are.  While the chance of a flat may increase slightly with faster tires, let's not act like the tires metioned here are a roll of the dice.  With 2500 people riding 112 miles, you'll see a bunch of flats.  Many are user error - improperly installed and pinched... hit a pothole and flatted.  Some are just bad luck... picked up a sliver of glass/wire.  For all of those, it really doesn't matter much what tire you are using.  I would guess that there might be half a dozen or so flats on race day that MIGHT have been prevented by using slower tires... and those are odds I'll take any day.

2011-03-07 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Thanks for the advice, you have both helped me make my choice. 

Even though I consider myself pretty fast on the bike, my fastest TT speed was just over 26mph and my fastest oly just shy of 25mph (missed breaking an hour by seconds!), it appears the benefits of the Tangente are at 28mph per that link.  Certainly for CdA I hope to remain closer to 20mph to not blow my run up.  This makes me feel comfortable that the Vittoria will be beneficial for me for CdA and Sprints because 28 is a pipe dream avg speed for most.  Plus, they are cheaper AND I can get the Red/Black, so they match my bike... which is of course REALLY the most imporatant part!  I think I will go with 21mm fornt and back.

2011-03-07 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
OK, for those still procrastinating rooms... I just cancelled 2 rooms at Ameritel Inn CdA  www .   ameritelinns . com   A king room and a 2 queen suite room.  I hgad them 6/21 - 6/28.  This hotel is pretty close to the start/finish.  We decided to rent a cabin on the lake that somebody had booked and bailed on. I locked these in a long time ago just in case I was not able to find something else.

Good luck! 

Now if only it was not sooo darn expensive to Fly to Spokane!

2011-03-07 11:51 AM

Master
, California

There is not a tire made that will slow you down as much as 10+ mins on the side of the road.

Like Sarah I train with gatorskins and have flatted twice in 8000+ miles of training, once was a pinch flat  in a crack and once the tries had 3500+ miles on them and were almost worn to the cords.  I do not recommend racing on them, but if you had to it would still be faster than a flat.

I agree with the sentiment of what you said, but it would be a cold day in hell before I spent 10 minutes on a flat, even on the rear tire.  My advice: use fast tires / tubes on race day and practice changing tires in training.  I did a change in under 1 minute (clincher) during my final race last summer.

DO make sure you are familiar with the tire you're using.  Don't swap to a race tire right before the event without getting some miles on it first.  50-100 miles to break it in will generally reduce the rolling resistance.  And it'll make it easier to change the tire once it's broken in.  The Zipp Tangente tires, for example, are a royal pain to get on/off the rim when they are new.

2011-03-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3383416

User image

Expert
WA
3Aims - 2011-03-04 4:54 AM

phatknot - 2011-03-04 4:26 PM What are your goals for race day?

- Still be married

- Race smart

- Have fun

- Finish

- Be able to get bombed that night at dinner

....then......

- Beat my coach's CdA time of 11:37:xx

- Beat my friends time of 12:20:xx

LOL!!!  Awesome!

I laugh now, but I have seen relationships get hit after one spouse doing IM.  I know with my daughter in competitive dance it is getting tougher to get my workouts in especially as time goes on the plan calls for more hours.   I need to focus more on keeping the wife happy, because when that happens, everyone is happy.  :-)

2011-03-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3383427

User image

Expert
WA
jackson61802 - 2011-03-04 5:11 AM

Anybody else doing this race with another member of their family?  My dad and I are both racing.   My first, his second (after IMSG last year being his first)

That is SO COOL!!  Way to bond with your dad!

I don't have family racing, but a lot of friends are racing it.

2011-03-07 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
I'm really interested in the tire comments a couple (?) of pages back.  I had read such good things about the GP 4000s that I started using them in January.  I really wanted to like them, but it got to the point where I was flatting every other ride--sometimes multiple times during the ride.  Now I'm back to using Armadillos and no flats.

Maybe it's because of the road conditions here, or maybe I was riding them with the wrong psi.  Has anyone else had crummy luck with them?  Or was it a fluke?
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171