BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-10-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Ok, the "official' race report is done.  It's long, but I wanted to be able to remember everything about the day.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=229090

I vowed to never do another Ironman upon finishing.  Now I can't wait to do another one.  But nothing but sprints for me next year.

2010-10-06 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3124153

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
ray6foot7 - 2010-09-29 1:36 PM Just wanted to share a few things post IM.

1.  My wife told me yesterday that she wants to do a 5k.  She even picked out a race and found a couch-to-5k plan.  She hates running!  That is so exciting to me.

2.  A friend who is a teacher, told me about one of her kindergarten students, Justin.  Justin's dad is on the fired department with me, and we spend lots of time together.  The teacher witnessed Justin being beat up on by a girl at recess.  He was doing nothing to defend himself.  The teacher broke up the situation and told Justin what a good boy he was for not hitting a girl.  He responded, "Well, I've been working out a lot, you know training for an ironman like Ray, and I was afraid that I'd hurt her."

3.  I received this e-mail from the wife of another fireman.  "I just wanted to pass along to you and Ray what happened at dinner Sunday night with my
> family....
> My mom, dad, Heath, Jackson, Parker and I met at Mazzio's for dinner. During the course of
> the evening, my mom asked the boys if anything exciting had been going on. Of course, they
> hem-haw about how nothing is happening. Suddenly, Parker lit up. He said, "Dee Dee, guess
> who I know?!" Parker proceeds to tell my mom how he knows Iron Man, he has met him and
> he goes to our church. Iron Man 2 the movie is coming out soon so we have seen lots of
> previews so I naturally assume this is what he is talking about. He goes on to say that he
> can't wait to tell everyone at school about knowing Iron Man. I reminded him that he can't
> stretch the truth at school even if using our imagination is fun. He looks at me like I am the
> stupidest human on earth (I should probably get used to that) and says, "Mom, Iron Man
> DOES go to our church. I saw him TODAY! He is married to Ms. Jennifer..." Heath started to
> correct him about what an Iron Man competition is but I just told him to let it go. So right now,
> Ray IS Iron Man and you are the wife of Iron Man.
> Thought you might enjoy---also thought that might help explain if Parker starts staring at you
> guys in awe while at church

Great stories, Ray!  Very touching and very deserving that these kids look up to you  (both figuratively and literally!).  What an awesome, awesome accomplishment. 
2010-10-06 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Ray... loved your race report.  Way to gut it out!

I'm also done with longer distance races for at least a year.  2011... the year of the sprint!!!
2010-10-06 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3128362

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-30 9:32 PM

I'm focusing on run this winter (at least for the first part of winter) and trying to get the courage up to participate in the local Master's swimming program - but I am very intimidated by the idea of it. I went a few times last year, but was so completely left at the wall (and felt like I was slowing everyone down) that I'm having a hard time convincing myself to participate again.

Suck it up and DO IT!!!!  :-)  "The only Failure is the Failure to TRY...."  My last blog highlighted that quote. 

I learned how to swim (longer than 50 yards) last year.  I was the slowest in the pool and sometimes I still am the slowest in the pool.  In the middle of the season I was able to lead the slow lane and that was a lot of progress for me.  I think what paid off was the consistency and the determination to want to swim faster.  I quit going for a month and I am not swimming as fast endurance-wise but trying to concentrate on technique more.

Last week I lead the first lane (fastest in the lane), then moved to the second lane and then I was the slowest in the lane.  I got my butt kicked!  A couple of things that go through my mind while swimming in lane two:
1. Keep going!! 
2. This is the path to progress! 
3. I stop at the wall and let others pass that need to (common courtesy)
3. (When in lane one) Be courteous to others that I pass and encourage them, because I was once there and know how important that is!

Overcome your fears Jenn!  You can do this!
2010-10-06 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3134142

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-10-05 12:13 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-04 10:49 AM
My compromise is to do sprints and maybe an Oly, and I'll be the bike leg of a relay team for a HIM with two guys from work.  I know it's probably blasphemy on a tri site, but has anyone ever had a relay as an A race?

In 2009, I had an injured calf.  I did a few relays (marathon and Oly).  They were FUN!!!  You get to race and CHEER!!  I would certainly do some more of those.

I see nothing wrong with Sprints and Olys, they will certainly speed you up and sharpen your transition skills. 
2010-10-06 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
great report Ray! inspirational, had some humor and showed what a true champion you are!

I don't care what the announcer said!

RAY SAMFORD, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-10-09 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Good luck Matt!

He's got a sprint this weekend - should feel like a warm up to him. Have a great day!

Right in the thick of the fall season - lots of people from "away" looking at the leaves turning, an outdoor festival at the local ski resort, coming up on the last few horseback riding lessons of the year...

My eldest (who is trying out swim team right now) came home after her last practice and said, "We got to do 50's and I shaved seconds off my time each time we did it." "Wow! That's great - what was your time?" I asked. "The first time was 57 seconds." she said. <sigh> - my daughter's already faster than me! Secretly, I am thrilled - both girls are having a great time and look really good in the water. It's a skill that will follow them throughout their life.

It made me think of another thread that was on TT earlier - about the focus your parents had on fitness...so my question to you all is - how much focus did your parents put on fitness/exercise?

Have a great fall weekend all!
2010-10-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3142333

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-10-09 8:47 AM Good luck Matt!

He's got a sprint this weekend - should feel like a warm up to him. Have a great day!

Right in the thick of the fall season - lots of people from "away" looking at the leaves turning, an outdoor festival at the local ski resort, coming up on the last few horseback riding lessons of the year...

My eldest (who is trying out swim team right now) came home after her last practice and said, "We got to do 50's and I shaved seconds off my time each time we did it." "Wow! That's great - what was your time?" I asked. "The first time was 57 seconds." she said. - my daughter's already faster than me! Secretly, I am thrilled - both girls are having a great time and look really good in the water. It's a skill that will follow them throughout their life.

It made me think of another thread that was on TT earlier - about the focus your parents had on fitness...so my question to you all is - how much focus did your parents put on fitness/exercise?

Have a great fall weekend all!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to just having a great time with the sprint tomorrow, looks like perfect weather, nice and cool.  I'm still having a ton of fun with this sport and I just hope I am not burning myself out before I get started on my IM training next month after B2B.

My mom was a sports pusher, she pushed all her kids into sports.  I would swim all summer long as a kid just for fun at the public pool and you are definitely right that swim skills developed early last for life. I just started swimming this past winter and didn't loose anything from my childhood, but I've always loved the water.  Somehow all my bike riding as a kid didn't transfer as well though, and I always hated running, mostly because I was always the slowest kid.

Ray - my off season goals are to rest as much as possible and not gain weight (even lose a few lbs. if possible) before I start IM CDA training. My offseason is the 2 weeks ending the week of Thanksgiving.  Then I start my 30 week IM program (yet to be developed).  On that note....any IM training programs that you (anyone?) would recommend?  I'm considering the BT IM beginner (the BT HIM beg worked prepared me pretty well) and the Iron Fit programs.
2010-10-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3142991

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-10-09 7:44 PM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-10-09 8:47 AM

Ray - my off season goals are to rest as much as possible and not gain weight (even lose a few lbs. if possible) before I start IM CDA training. My offseason is the 2 weeks ending the week of Thanksgiving.  Then I start my 30 week IM program (yet to be developed).  On that note....any IM training programs that you (anyone?) would recommend?  I'm considering the BT IM beginner (the BT HIM beg worked prepared me pretty well) and the Iron Fit programs.

Quite a few people have used the BT IM programs with success.

2010-10-11 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Matt,  I'm not sure what I can recommend for IM training.  If my IM would have been faster I could, but.....

What I did was Tri Fuel's 36 week training plan.  I would recommend the swimming portion of the plan.  Swimming has historically been my weakest leg, but I came out of the water 4th of 21 in my age group and top 20% overall without being the least bit tired.

For the running and cycling, I substituted the long runs and long bike rides with workouts from this article.  Nailing the Ironman Marathon.  I wasn't able to build up the the running distances and complete those, but I did do the cycling rides and bricks.  I thought the cycling leg was easy as well, albeit slow.  I was glad to have had so many centuries under my belt.  I'm not sure that many long rides are necessary, but to each his own.

I don't know what plan I would follow next time.  I might just try the 13 weeks to a 13 hour ironman plan. 36 weeks was a long time to be a slave to a plan.  What I would do different next time would be the timing of the long runs.  I felt like I wasn't getting good long runs in the day after my long bikes so I moved my long runs to Thursdays.  I think this would work great if you already had the endurance to complete an ironman and you were just trying to get faster.  But for me, I think I would have benefitted more from running on tired legs.

One thing I did learn from my IM was that the three legs aren't swim,bike, run, but rather fitness, pacing, and nutrtion.  If you are like me you will be so intimidated by the distance that you will have the fitness portion nailed.  I felt like that I had wasted a lot of fitness (time training), because my nutrtion was off.  I remember thinking to myself while on the course "why did I spend so much time running, when all I am walking half of this thing?  What a waste of time!"
2010-10-11 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Sprint Race Report
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=230281

Thanks for everyones support and advice this year.  I could not have made it as far and be as thrilled with my progress if it weren't for this team's support.  I love this sport!

You guys all ROCK!!  THANK YOU!

2010-10-12 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hey guys.

I'm just under two weeks out to my inaugural Barela 1/2 Marathon!  I'm ready for it, I know I've trained well and actually have enjoyed running during the training. When I first set out, I had my sights on a sub 2:00 HM. After a bit of thinking, I backed off to a 2:05 goal. but after the last week or so, I thought more about the goal and wondered if a sub 2:00 would be possible. Averagine 9:10 over the run is quick, I know, but after todays run I felt good and not gassed when I was done and that was pushing sub 9min/mile. This Saturday I plan on 7-8 miles while in Phoenix (as long as I can find the area to run this) and will see if I can keep a 9:00min/mile pace to give me a better answer.

so - is it something that is doable from the experience you guys have or is a 9:10 pace too much when most of my long runs (over 9miles) have been about 9:25min/mile? If I started the first few miles at 9:20, then moved to 9:10 and finished at a nine the last two as my kick, it's close to a sub 2:00 HM....

am I dreaming??????
2010-10-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3148677

User image

Expert
WA
barelfly - 2010-10-12 7:57 AM hey guys.

I'm just under two weeks out to my inaugural Barela 1/2 Marathon!  I'm ready for it, I know I've trained well and actually have enjoyed running during the training. When I first set out, I had my sights on a sub 2:00 HM. After a bit of thinking, I backed off to a 2:05 goal. but after the last week or so, I thought more about the goal and wondered if a sub 2:00 would be possible. Averagine 9:10 over the run is quick, I know, but after todays run I felt good and not gassed when I was done and that was pushing sub 9min/mile. This Saturday I plan on 7-8 miles while in Phoenix (as long as I can find the area to run this) and will see if I can keep a 9:00min/mile pace to give me a better answer.

so - is it something that is doable from the experience you guys have or is a 9:10 pace too much when most of my long runs (over 9miles) have been about 9:25min/mile? If I started the first few miles at 9:20, then moved to 9:10 and finished at a nine the last two as my kick, it's close to a sub 2:00 HM....

am I dreaming??????

Jeremy, with the adrenaline pumping during a race and all the excitement you definitely can pull a sub 2!  
With that said, a lot of it has to do with speed work.  If you just did long runs and no speed work then that is all you have to go by.  I think it would be smart to run a pace you know you can hold til about mile 10, then if you have more in the tank start to pick it up here.  The last half mile, drain the tank completely!!  :-)  You will do great!

2010-10-13 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I agree with Rene...go at a pace you feel like you can maintain at the beginning...once you are 2 miles out - you can put on the gas. Pick up easy speed where you can (going down hill, on the flats), but don't cook yourself on the harder efforts.

Best of luck!
2010-10-13 10:32 AM

User image

NH
Jeremy - another vote for start at a nice "easy" pace and pick it up later as you have more effort in you.  I'd say start at your typical long run pace and after 3 miles decide if you can speed up just a bit for mile 3-10, then as Rene said dump the whole thing in the last 5k.

Aaron - love the new avatar pic.
2010-10-13 12:34 PM

User image

NH
I just got back from my first ever group ride.  Wow.  I totally get why drafting isn't allowed in tris.  I felt like we went at a really casual pace, and our average for the 20 mile ride was a tad over 21 MPH!  It seriously felt like a 18.5-19 mph pace.  I didn't have my HR monitor on, so I can't be sure, but I just felt very relaxed the whole time.

Do any of you ever do group rides?  This was like 15 riders, almost all of us stayed in line the whole time.  When it was my turn to pull, it was certainly a tough effort, but then settling to the back I felt like I could have stopped pedaling and kept up.  The hills were a challenge since the pace stayed high, but no one really pulled too far away.  And the pack easily caught up as soon as it flattened out.

2010-10-15 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3149882

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-10-13 12:34 PM I just got back from my first ever group ride.  Wow.  I totally get why drafting isn't allowed in tris.  I felt like we went at a really casual pace, and our average for the 20 mile ride was a tad over 21 MPH!  It seriously felt like a 18.5-19 mph pace.  I didn't have my HR monitor on, so I can't be sure, but I just felt very relaxed the whole time.

Do any of you ever do group rides?  This was like 15 riders, almost all of us stayed in line the whole time.  When it was my turn to pull, it was certainly a tough effort, but then settling to the back I felt like I could have stopped pedaling and kept up.  The hills were a challenge since the pace stayed high, but no one really pulled too far away.  And the pack easily caught up as soon as it flattened out.

I have only done a group ride with a couple of my neighbors one time this summer.  It was fun and we said we would do them more but just never got back out together, mainly because Justin was training for a sprint and I was training for aquavelo, so our plans didn't match up well. 

I asked my other buddy to do The Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival this weekend.  It looks like fun and beautiful time to ride.

http://shenandoahbike.org/schedule.html

What's everyone up to this weekend?  TGIF, have fun!!
2010-10-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3154503

User image

NH
mdfahy - 2010-10-15 1:10 PM
I asked my other buddy to do The Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival this weekend.  It looks like fun and beautiful time to ride.

http://shenandoahbike.org/schedule.html

What's everyone up to this weekend?  TGIF, have fun!!

That looks like an awesome ride.  We're just starting to get some colors up here - are the trees turning down there already? 

I'm planning a run tomorrow and my 13 year old has another Jiu-Jitsu tournament in Rhode Island Sunday.
2010-10-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3154503

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
2010-10-15 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Nice blank message, huh?  Not sure what happened there, but my whole post got zapped.  Anyway, I'm coaching my daughter's softball games tonight and tomorrow afternoon.  The whole family will be watching the Phillies on Saturday night, then the Eagles on Sunday afternoon, then the Phillies again on Sunday night.  I'm lucky that I have a wife and 2 daughters that are really into sports and watching baseball and football on TV... sure beats me hiding out in the man cave by myself.

We'll do a family bike ride at some point and I'll also try to squeeze in a run.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2010-10-15 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
What an outstanding month! Two lifetime wishes have come true in the past twenty days. First I became an ironman, then today I became a dad. I got to meet my son today. He is two days old, and we get to take him home tomorrow. The great thing is: tomorrow is my inlaw's 50th anniversary party, so all of our friends and family are traveling here. Looks like the anniversary party just turned to a baby meet and greet.

2010-10-15 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3155161

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-15 7:03 PM What an outstanding month! Two lifetime wishes have come true in the past twenty days. First I became an ironman, then today I became a dad. I got to meet my son today. He is two days old, and we get to take him home tomorrow. The great thing is: tomorrow is my inlaw's 50th anniversary party, so all of our friends and family are traveling here. Looks like the anniversary party just turned to a baby meet and greet.

CONGRATS.  YOU ARE AN IRON-DAD!

Can't top that weekend.  That's one lucky little guy.  You'll be a great dad, and there's another culmination of great deal of work and passion.  Great job Ray.  Nothing compares.
2010-10-16 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
FANTASTIC RAY!!! congratulations!
2010-10-18 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-15 7:03 AM What an outstanding month! Two lifetime wishes have come true in the past twenty days. First I became an ironman, then today I became a dad. I got to meet my son today. He is two days old, and we get to take him home tomorrow. The great thing is: tomorrow is my inlaw's 50th anniversary party, so all of our friends and family are traveling here. Looks like the anniversary party just turned to a baby meet and greet.

Such good news! I am so excited for you and Jennifer - what a lucky fellow to have such caring and involved parents. Enjoy your time with him (because soon enough, they don't want much to do with you ;-) ) I'd love to see pics if you want to share.

Remember a couple of things - catch as much sleep as you possibly can - sleep when he is sleeping (if your job will allow)...and secondly try to laugh and make him laugh (he will - soon enough) at least once a day.

I'm so happy for you. It looks like 2010 is your year!
2010-10-18 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
congrats Ray! that is great news! Everyday day will be better than the last! it's an amazing experience watching kids grow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76