BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-01 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING

Not as inspiring as Kyla's post.....but this is what I did today at work.

(to placate John:  Healthandlifebydesign.com)

What is the distance someone would have to walk to ‘burn off’ just 1 M&M? Think about that for a moment, determine your answer, then scroll down to view answer.

ANSWER: According to one researcher, based on the composition of an M&M,  a person would have to walk ‘briskly” the length of one football field. That makes me wonder how many football fields are there in one bag of the POUNDER SIZE ?- whoa!

SO I did the math:

5K = 5468yds

5K = 55 M&M's

1 vending machine size snack bag = ~ 25 M&M's

therefore a 5K = 2 snack bags of M&M's

2012-02-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4023797

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 12:56 PM
jfought - 2012-02-01 9:56 AM
DougRob - 2012-02-01 10:13 AM
tahrens - 2012-02-01 9:53 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 7:45 AM

Aloha Kids...it's that time again.  Who is racing like the wind this weekend?  Goals?  We want details!

We've talked about balancing priorities this week, but lets' dive a little deeper.  For those of us who feel we have a less developed part of our SBR game, what is it? and are you doing anything about it?  or just enjoying the whole experience for what it is--FUN!

FAVOR TO ASK OF THE GROUP - I fall into the self depreciating trap of comparing my volumes to other people and thinking "if I'm not running xx miles etc then I'm not as strong of a triathlete."   Please don't let me do that.  The goal this year is not volume Tracy and short distances are not a bad thing.   My mantra for this year is to train smart, not long and the whole work/life/train balance will really be tested this year.

I look at peoples logs and posts to encourage and congradulate them. I do not compare myself to anyone. There are too many variables:

Our goals for the year are different.

Our strengths and weaknesses are different.

Our time constraints are different.

Our weather is probably different.

Our support at home may be different.

Same thing holds true when I am out runnin/biking, etc. If I am passed or occasionally pass someone I don't care. Maybe there are just starting and I am ner the end. Maybe I am doing LSD and they are doing tempo or intervals. I could go on, but you get my drift.

There is almost nothing to be gained by comparing yourself to anyone else. I looked at what everyone has posted for January and it lloks great to me.

Finally, I love short distance racing and have a bunch of them planned this year. I will probably enjoy them more than the long course races. Go Tracy!

At times I fall into the same comparison "trap" as Suzy.  It doesn't discouage me, but sometimes it just makes me wonder how others get that much training in.  Could be more time, better climate, goals, etc.  We each do what we can and do the best with what we have.

No racing for me, but I wish I could be out there doing that 11 mile trail race with John!!  Good Luck out there John!

I've had two days off since my long run on Sunday and I'm READY TO GO AGAIN!!!  Woot Woot!!  Today is going to be a short run (4 mile-ish) with some speed intervals and I'm also going to do my run drills tonight.  Can't wait to get off work and get out there.

I think you mean Tracy, not Suzy. 

Not sure how Jayne confused the two of you.

You guys have totally different hair color! 

2012-02-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4023956

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2012-02-01 4:00 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 12:56 PM

Aloha Kids...it's that time again.  Who is racing like the wind this weekend?  Goals?  We want details!

We've talked about balancing priorities this week, but lets' dive a little deeper.  For those of us who feel we have a less developed part of our SBR game, what is it? and are you doing anything about it?  or just enjoying the whole experience for what it is--FUN!

FAVOR TO ASK OF THE GROUP - I fall into the self depreciating trap of comparing my volumes to other people and thinking "if I'm not running xx miles etc then I'm not as strong of a triathlete."   Please don't let me do that.  The goal this year is not volume Tracy and short distances are not a bad thing.   My mantra for this year is to train smart, not long and the whole work/life/train balance will really be tested this year.

I look at peoples logs and posts to encourage and congradulate them. I do not compare myself to anyone. There are too many variables:

Same thing holds true when I am out runnin/biking, etc. If I am passed or occasionally pass someone I don't care. Maybe there are just starting and I am ner the end. Maybe I am doing LSD and they are doing tempo or intervals. I could go on, but you get my drift.

There is almost nothing to be gained by comparing yourself to anyone else. I looked at what everyone has posted for January and it lloks great to me.

Finally, I love short distance racing and have a bunch of them planned this year. I will probably enjoy them more than the long course races. Go Tracy!

At times I fall into the same comparison "trap" as Suzy.  It doesn't discouage me, but sometimes it just makes me wonder how others get that much training in.  Could be more time, better climate, goals, etc.  We each do what we can and do the best with what we have.

No racing for me, but I wish I could be out there doing that 11 mile trail race with John!!  Good Luck out there John!

I've had two days off since my long run on Sunday and I'm READY TO GO AGAIN!!!  Woot Woot!!  Today is going to be a short run (4 mile-ish) with some speed intervals and I'm also going to do my run drills tonight.  Can't wait to get off work and get out there.

Not sure how Jayne confused the two of you.

You guys have totally different hair color! 

And she's about a foot taller too! Of course in Jayne's defense she won't know that until she meets us at IM Florida.  Right Tracy? Right Jayne?

And maybe since you have delayed your Boston plans this year Ms. Fast Twin, you can come to Florida too! No stress for us besides cheering!

2012-02-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4023797

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 3:56 PM

I can follow a thread.  Really, I can.  Embarassed

2012-02-01 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Great training day. 2600 in the pool, 85 miles on the bike, then 5 mi run straight off the bike. Nearly 80 degrees in ATX.

Lance just posted this on Facebook...not that I am comparing my volume or anything but WOW!

2012-02-01 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4022881

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

First, very well said, Doug.  You should be an attorney. 

I enjoy looking at everyone's logs as well.  Not only to encourage them and at times hold them accountable, but because I am inspired by them as well.  The only logs I look at for comparison's sake are my own.  Needless to say, I am happy with the results over the past 12 months.

No racing for me this weekend.  Despite focusing on my run all winter and feeling much better about it, I still consider it my limiter.  I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied with it, but everything else seems to key off it for me.  So for now, it is still my focus.

2012-02-01 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Hey Terps. Let's have the low down on kris? Academic. Athletic. What? So awesome!!!
2012-02-01 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4024153

User image

Master
Maryland

fattyfatfat - 2012-02-01 6:52 PM Hey Terps. Let's have the low down on kris? Academic. Athletic. What? So awesome!!!

Academic for sure, she'll make her final choice around April but I think she's staying with MD  : )

2012-02-01 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4024163

User image

Champion
Terps421 - 2012-02-01 5:59 PM

fattyfatfat - 2012-02-01 6:52 PM Hey Terps. Let's have the low down on kris? Academic. Athletic. What? So awesome!!!

Academic for sure, she'll make her final choice around April but I think she's staying with MD  : )

LIKE!

2012-02-01 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4022527

User image

Regular
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 5:45 AM

My less developed area is the bike.  When I started, I didn't know how to swim, and I had never run, so I had to learn both of those.  Along the way, I pretty consistently neglected my bike.

My strategy is basically just to spend lots of time on it.  I'm actually using that trainer thing-a-ma-jig that I bought this winter.  I'm also doing spin classes with a stellar tri coach.  When outdoor riding season comes again, I'll be out as much as I can.

2012-02-01 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 9:45 AM

Aloha.  No racing here.   For me, the swim is definitely the less developed part.  I do okay from an age group perspective, but I work very hard in the water to do that and always feel beat going into T1.   I'm working a lot on balance this winter, am in the pool 4-5 times/week and have a lesson once a week.  

2012-02-01 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 9:45 PM

I'm doing a mini sprint on Sunday, we'll see if my 3 week training plan works....!
2012-02-02 3:49 AM

User image

Champion

Good Morning Gang!  I love all the comments on how we are working to hone our game!  I had my 800 timed swim yesterday and while I improved I still have a very long way to go to get where I want to be. While I wish being a fish came natural, it doesn't.  That means more hard work for more progress when I get back from KAUAI!

The man bought internet from Mpl to LA so I will be checking on you people.  Enjoy the day.

2012-02-02 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 6:45 AM

No racing for me.  Driving across the state to sit in the bleachers and watch the youngest at the State Dance/Poms competition all day Saturday.  Should be a fun weekend.   

Running has always been my perceived weakness, so this year I decided just to focus on bike racing and cyclocross so I didn't have to stress over it! 

2012-02-02 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Thanks for the encouragement.  Apparently my weakness is self confidence so that is a personal demon I'll battle.  

Terps - major congrats.  My Doug is a MD graduate and loved it.  Claims it is one of the best educations out there. 

Still rocking some fantastic weather on the east coast.  60 degrees and sunny.  Gonna try to run off a hangover today.  ugh.

2012-02-02 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
To any MG members that I am FB friends with, you can see the improved Trisuit that Epix Gear hasput together for me for 2012. I asked them to add barbed wire to the design (tribute to Hoogerland) and I love how they did it.

2012-02-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4023855

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2012-02-01 4:21 PM

you're right kyla, hillary biscay does have a nice pool. 

There's a pool in that picture?

2012-02-02 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 6:45 AM

No racing this weekend.

I feel like I'm less developed on all the parts of the SBR game. Really running is my least developed. I'm going to slowly try to push it more. After dealing with an ankle injury I don't want to reinjure.

My biggest limiter right now is my head. A little over  two weeks ago I fell twice in the kitchen. The first fall I hurt my right fore arm, a huge bruise that hurt more than I expected. A couple of days later I fell and hit my head on a chair on the way down.  DX: concussion. My headaches got better a yesterday. I have a slight one right now but really a lot better than the pounding ones I've been having. I have done some walking but I'm really off what I hoped to be training wise.

Crazy thing is 99% of my injuries come from when I'm doing everyday things not from training or racing.

Tiana

2012-02-02 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Got a Demo Cobb Max. Going to give it a shot tonight..... They have a plus as well, but someone else has it out.

And weakness - run... How do I get better at? Run more, run faster, lose weight. Pretty simple isnt it.

Tracy - hangover on a Thursday? nice work!!

2012-02-02 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4025329

User image

Regular

So, I'm feeling lucky.

1. I just won 20 roctane gels and a hat in a blog contest

2. Just found out I have enough testing credit to get a 910xt (I do testing for garmin sometimes - technically not luck, but still awesome).

I won some CEP socks and a spibelt a couple months ago too.  I never used to win anything.

2012-02-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4025351

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
_Deb_ - 2012-02-02 10:00 AM

So, I'm feeling lucky.

2. Just found out I have enough testing credit to get a 910xt (I do testing for garmin sometimes - technically not luck, but still awesome).

I won some CEP socks and a spibelt a couple months ago too.  I never used to win anything.

You should hang out with Doug!!!

Tuesday was a great workout.

2012-02-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4025215

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2012-02-02 7:58 AM

SLAP! That's from Sam.
2012-02-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4025403

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2012-02-02 9:28 AM
_Deb_ - 2012-02-02 10:00 AM

So, I'm feeling lucky.

You should hang out with Doug!!!

Tuesday was a great workout.

That is sweet, Deb! Enjoy your goodies. I am a fan of the roctane gels....blue(berry) is my fave.
2012-02-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4025479

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2012-02-02 1:02 PM
dalessit - 2012-02-02 7:58 AM

SLAP! That's from Sam.

SLAP!  That's from Kathy. 

2012-02-02 12:45 PM

User image

Champion

Aloha from 39,000 feet!  After a rough start to our morning with a reroute to Souix Falls SD, we are on a flight to LA with hopes of actually getting our connection to Kauai.  Hope springs eternal!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117