BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-04-13 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Thanks for all of the well wishes.

Race went great. 1:24:33 for 13.2 by garmin. Not a PR but a darn good race and about what I thought I could do. This is the first time I haven't PRd at a distance in awhile but I am ok with how it went.

I actually ran the whole race right off the shoulder of a little bit older guy. It was strange...... As we were running, 100s of people yelled at this guy as we ran by, "way to go Doug," "nice race Doug," go get em Doug," etc, etc, etc. At the end of the race (he beat me by about five seconds) I asked who he was since everyone seemed to know him. Turns out he is Doug Kurtis, who is famous in the running world for having run 76 sub 2:20 marathons. My brush with greatness for the day

2013-04-13 1:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nice run Jason-excellent time. You are set up for a great season. Good job! 
2013-04-13 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Blanda-That is a full weekend! At least it all sounds like fun; I'll take fun-busy over work-busy any day.

Jason-Great job at the race; holy *&^ that's a fast time! I know you didn't PR, but it's early in the season, right?

Here's my report from my looooooooooooong ride today. It was something. 

My Workout in GIFs

2013-04-13 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jamie, 

I absolutely love your training day in GIF ... hahaha that was a great read. 

2013-04-13 9:12 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Jason -- very nice run!  Well done.  

My tri is officially now an aquathlon.  Bike portion is cancelled due to heavy snowfall warning and cold  (-4oC forecasted for race time).  

Run will still be outside though.  Smile  They're letting us do a full change between swim and run.  

I did a little bit of outdoor running over the winter, but usually only if it popped above freezing.  This is one hell of a start to the season...!

Scott.

2013-04-14 7:17 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie/Nate-my wife brought home several magazines that talked about all of the outdoor activities in the Greenville area and the great trail that runs from town out to Furman. One of the articles had a big article on George Hincappie and his retirement. Mentioned that he is renovating a lodge outside of town that will be a cycling focused type of resort. Sounds very cool. Looks like their is alot going on in the area. Can't wait to get up there and check it out.....she also mentioned there were lots of bike shops....always a good thing.

Jamie-great blog post..other than the sad incident with the dog. Had the same thing happen to me on a run last year. Really hard to deal with those type of things.

Today is a washout here. 1-2 inches of rain forecast. So, I'll spend 2.5 hours in the garage riding and watching Zero Dark Thirty. I hope its good. Watched Argo Friday night and enjoyed it. The afternoon will be spent primarily on the couch watching the Masters. I have not played golf in 3-4 years but always enjoy watching the Masters. I've been 2-3 times to watch practice rounds and its a pretty amazing course.

Enjoy your Sunday.

2013-04-14 7:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

OMG Stuart I'm SO sorry - that is awful  I hope your recovery goes well.

Randy I read your race report.  I always find it inspiring to read those reports.  You did great and the effort just amazes me at that level.  Awesome job.

As for me, tax day is TOMORROW so Tuesday I start cleaning up the items in my personal life (oil change for the car, go to the cable company etc) and on Wednesday, I hope to get things back on track.  The good news is that I've been running again.  I'm up to 3.5 miles.  My leg still gets a little cranky which I'm told is normal so I just take it easy and ice at night.  I continue to swim although my plan has kind of fallen by the wayside and the weather is finally turning nice so I will be riding outside soon enough.

And I have a family wedding to go to today so have a good Sunday all!

2013-04-14 10:48 AM

User image

New user
Jason, awesome run! That is so fast! I am very impressed.

Jamie, I enjoyed reading your report though the dog story was very sad. You have built up some amazing endurance.

I had a great ride yesterday, I did the 18 mile route of the three choices. It was a ride in honor of the founder of an area biking group, several hundred riders that I only saw most of for a short time! A friend rode the last third of the ride with me and that was great having someone to chat with at the end of a hilly ride.

Turbo tax today, I always get a refund and always wait to the very end to complete the task, sigh!

I hope you all have a great Sunday!
2013-04-14 8:36 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Race complete.   To be honest it was a major letdown -- I waited all winter for this, and in the end they cancelled the bike AND shortened the run to 2K (indoor track).    No fault of the organizers but not the event I was hoping for.

At any rate -- it was still fun once we got going.  And I was reasonably happy with my performance:

• Both the swim (~2:25 / 100m) and the run (~5:27 / km) were faster paces than I see in training.   (Not a ton faster, but enough)
  • Final time was 27:07 which was solidly middle of pack (#109 / 188) -- I was hoping for top-50% but missed it by 45 seconds.  But still, nice to be MOP rather than BOP like last year
  • No walking, no breast stroke -- not a huge accomplishment, but better than my first tri!
  • The run was at a pace that would have me breaking my 2013 goal of a 27:30 5K
  • Best of all, my swim was confident --  Breathing pretty good, never felt overwhelmed.  Of course OWS is a different beast, but it was nice to do a competitive swim with a happier ending

Next stop -- HM in late May, and Oly in mid-June!

Scott

2013-04-15 5:42 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Scott-frustrating that the race was shortened. But, you did well by meeting or exceeding your goals. Good work on the run and swim. You will be ready for your HM and olympic.
2013-04-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4700000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hoos - 2013-04-14 9:36 PM

Race complete.   To be honest it was a major letdown -- I waited all winter for this, and in the end they cancelled the bike AND shortened the run to 2K (indoor track).    No fault of the organizers but not the event I was hoping for.

At any rate -- it was still fun once we got going.  And I was reasonably happy with my performance:

• Both the swim (~2:25 / 100m) and the run (~5:27 / km) were faster paces than I see in training.   (Not a ton faster, but enough)
  • Final time was 27:07 which was solidly middle of pack (#109 / 188) -- I was hoping for top-50% but missed it by 45 seconds.  But still, nice to be MOP rather than BOP like last year
  • No walking, no breast stroke -- not a huge accomplishment, but better than my first tri!
  • The run was at a pace that would have me breaking my 2013 goal of a 27:30 5K
  • Best of all, my swim was confident --  Breathing pretty good, never felt overwhelmed.  Of course OWS is a different beast, but it was nice to do a competitive swim with a happier ending

Next stop -- HM in late May, and Oly in mid-June!

Scott

Sorry to hear the race got shortened, I know how that feels. However, you can still take your good performance from the experience; after all, for most of us non-elite athletes, it's all about measuring performance against your own past performances. You've got plenty of time to train before your next races, keep it up!

2013-04-15 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Ok, I've got a question for the mentors and/or anyone with HIM, or higher, training. How do you manage your nutrition? Clearly, I did a bad job of managing it on my ride/run last Saturday, but how do you plan for it? Do you drink by thirst? Do you plan on eating food, or just liquid? What factors do you consider when you're planning a long ride and/or run? I know a lot of this will be based on experience and what I can tolerate or need, but what baseline do you use to build on?
2013-04-15 2:43 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-that's a good question and a hard one to answer with alot of specifics. I can try to answer for up to HIM distance. There are a couple of things to work out on the front end. The first being how many calories you will need on the bike and then on the run. Then of course you must decide how to take in those calories. Whether all fluids, some solid foods, gels etc.. The second being how much you want to consume in fluids on the bike. The amount will depend in part on the weather conditions on race day. Hot equals more fluids. This is where experimenting with your nutrition on your long training rides and runs can help. Since it is almost half of the time you will spend racing your nutition on the bike is extremely important. Not only to fuel you through the bike leg but also to set you up for a good run.

I'm not really going to address nutrition or hydration during the swim since we don't take in calories then.

I like to get almost all of my calories and fluid on the bike before the last 15-20 minutes of the ride. Mostly to avoid heading out on the run with a bunch of fluids in my stomach or my stomach trying to digest something.  In my last HIM I shot for about 350 calories an hour through a combination of fluids and gels. I had 3 bottles on the bike each with 250 calories in them. I also had a gel flask in my tri top that had another 4 100 calories gels mixed up with some water. I was unsure how hot it was going to be so figured I would drink at least 2 bottles of fluid and probably part of the third. Unfortunately, the gel flask fell out of my pocket about 10 miles into the ride but I had put 2 gels in my bento box just in case.  So, on the bike I took in about 50-55oz of fluid and 2 gels. I probably under did it on the fluids but I didn't want to have to stop and pee.  I specifically set up my bike so I would not have to worry about the bottle exchanges on the course. These can be dangerous places and I felt better knowing that I had what I needed on the bike.

I had 1-2 gels in my race belt for the run and had planned on drinking a few sips of water frequently during the run from aide stations and taking a caffeinated gel at about 20-25 minutes and again 40-45 minutes later.  Typically there are plenty of aide stations on a run course so I would not worry about bring along too much unless you don't like what they will have on the course. I like the little bump I get from using a caffeinated gel once I get on the run. Of course, try them in training and make sure they agree with you.  At IMTX 70.3 I probably was somewhat dehydrated at the end of the race as the day had warmed up and the sun had come out. I felt like I needed to pee about halfway through the bike but put it off until T2. Then I figured I would stop on the run course when I needed a break. Always felt like I kind of had to go but just didn't want to stop.  Your recent blog post made me think about this as my urine color later in the day confirmed that I was probably dhydrated Sorry, too much information. 

Hope this helps. Making sure you are taking in your fluid/nutrition is another thing. All the good planning goes to hell if you don't follow the plan and get those calories and fluids in your body.

2013-04-15 6:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Holy cow!

I know it isn't all about me, but where that bomb went off is just about where my wife and I were standing last year watching people finish. It is really scary and really drives it home that these are just every day folks who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The pictures are horrifying.

Very upsetting.
2013-04-15 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4700570

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-04-15 11:20 AM

Ok, I've got a question for the mentors and/or anyone with HIM, or higher, training. How do you manage your nutrition? Clearly, I did a bad job of managing it on my ride/run last Saturday, but how do you plan for it? Do you drink by thirst? Do you plan on eating food, or just liquid? What factors do you consider when you're planning a long ride and/or run? I know a lot of this will be based on experience and what I can tolerate or need, but what baseline do you use to build on?

I am going to reiterate a lot of what Randy said about long course fueling.

The main take away point is that you need to take in calories per plan and take in fluids per thirst. The amount of calories you require is not going to vary that much, no matter what the conditions but the amount of fluids you need will be determined by the weather.

Goal: 300-400 calories per hour (somewhere in the area of 4-6 calories/kg/hour) while on the bike. I have switched to an all liquid calorie plan. I use 20 ounce water bottles mixed with about 400 calories/bottle of whatever glucose/electrolyte/protein drink I am using. I make it my goal to drink close to one of these per hour. It is pretty thick stuff. In a 70.3 race I am pretty much going to go with two bottles. In an IM I will get two new bottles in special needs, for four total, or about 1600 calories, which is just over 300/hour for my bike speed. I need some water to go with it and I pick up water bottles at every handoff and drink to thirst. In most races I am warm (hot) enough that I pour whatever water is left in a water bottle in my helmet vents and over my jersey as I approach the next aid station. I then drop my empty bottle and pick up a new one at every aid station. I don't avoid aid stations like Randy does. I also try to minimize my intake over the last 20-30 minutes of the ride so my stomach is not too sloshy when I get off the bike.

If you want to go with solid stuff, lots of people do. Just try it out in training at close to race pace. I have found that I get a little queasy when I take in solids at race pace but the liquids don't seem to bother me much.

I do use caffeine in my fluids. I like the pick-me-up that it gives.

On the run I didn't carry anything with me at IMAZ this year. The year before I had a gel flask that I carried for 26.2 miles and I sucked about one total gel out of it. At AZ I just grabbed dixie cups of coke and water at each aid station and drank as much as I could on the fly. I would estimate that I drank 20 small dixie cups of coke and never felt like I was running out of energy. I personally hate running with a belt on. I do it all of the time while training but when it comes to race day, I want to be as light as possible and I don't want the belt on. Obviously there are a lot of very fast people who wear a fuel-belt or other hydration belt. I don't think I really need it with an aid station every mile on the run.
2013-04-15 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Man, that Boston situation is pretty terrifying. I really feel for everyone involved. Can't imagine...

2013-04-16 5:45 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all-busy day of work ahead as I'm on the road untile late this afternoon. Was up at 4am to get bike workout in. UGH! Daughter has soccer game tonight so had to get it done early. Not a great workout but got it done. Hope everyone has a good day. Maybe we will get some answers on the tragedy in Boston.

2013-04-16 5:29 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I spent part of the day reading everything I could find about Boston....

I made the mistake of looking at some photos.

I just can't wrap my head around why someone would do this.

Just crazy.
2013-04-16 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4703169

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

wannabefaster - 2013-04-16 6:29 PM I spent part of the day reading everything I could find about Boston.... I made the mistake of looking at some photos. I just can't wrap my head around why someone would do this. Just crazy.

Same here, the more details come out, the crazier and worse it seems.

2013-04-16 7:05 PM

User image

Master

I read what kind of injuries there were, so I'm avoiding the pictures best I can. I cannot understand how someone would think doing this would right any kind of wrong. I can't imagine how this would help any cause. I hope we find the person/people that did this. Justice needs to be served.

2013-04-16 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
My heart goes out to those in Boston.  Such an awful tragedy.  A friend of mine was a few minutes from the finish at that time.  I sure hope they find who is responsible.

2013-04-17 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy/Jason-thanks for the info! Both of you mentioned your caloric goal per hour, but how did you calculate this? I can't imagine I'm looking for a 1:1 calorie output/intake, so how do you decide how much to take in? Thanks!
2013-04-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4703574

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-04-17 8:01 AM

Randy/Jason-thanks for the info! Both of you mentioned your caloric goal per hour, but how did you calculate this? I can't imagine I'm looking for a 1:1 calorie output/intake, so how do you decide how much to take in? Thanks!

There are some published guidelines out there. There is no way you can do 1:1 replacement. You should be burning 700-1100+ calories/hour and there is no way you can get to that!

4-6 calories/kg/hour is a good starting point. Use the number you get from this (280-420 calories/hour for a 70 kg person) and start to use this in your training and see how your body reacts to this level of intake.

I have found that I do just fine on the lower (4ish calories/kg/hour) end of this scale. At this point I don't run out of energy but I also don't get too full with the nause and bloat (and sometimes the dreaded diarrhea) that comes with too much in the gut.

It really does require a significant amount of experimentation in training which you will have to do as you get to your bigger/longer training days.
2013-04-17 9:11 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I know that everyone on every forum endorses the volume (run often) theory of getting better at running.

Well, I am here to talk about the improvements I have seen from increased swim volume. I will put out the caveat that I have been getting a short lesson about every other week to make sure that I am not just reinforcing bad habits..... but I have never felt better in the water than I feel right now. I am so much more comfortable. I am not fighting the water. It really is a revelation.

I have definitely not seen the dramatic speed improvements that I want but I have slowly gotten a little, teeny, tiny bit faster. The best part is that I am more comfortable even at this slightly faster pace.

Wanted to share.
2013-04-17 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Jason increased swim volume will be beneficial to any distance swimmer.  Since I get to start all over again I am working on my plan once I get the OK.  My run will just continue since it was working, with a reset of course.  I will structure my riding a bit more than I have with an emphasis on longer rides but likely one less per week (4 instead of 5).

My swim is where I will actually be making the biggest changes.  Lots of early long swims.  Something like a wrm-up, 6 x 500 w/30 seconds rest.  I will do this 4/week for 2-4 weeks.  Then every swim will include a minimum 2 x 500 before my scheduled workout.  I am fortunate that I don't have to worry about form so this is just conditioning.  This was a common practice the month before the official swimming season started.  Just laying down some quality yards before really going to work. Back to school if you will.

So the big question Jason.  You are swimming better but...are you enjoying it?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66