Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-10-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I'm in much the same boat as Nat. I don't foresee me paying money to use BT, although I have been a gold/silver/bronze member in the past, depending on which year and just how badly I wanted one of the training plans. The ONLY feature I use is the mentor group board. If Mike hadn't linked to the thread in Tri Talk, I never would have seen it. My training data is stored here for the last 10ish years, but I also have the data stored in TrainingPeaks too for the last several years (where I got more serious and would actually want to look back on the data), so losing some of the early data would not be great, I will survive.

This feels a bit like a self fulfilling prophecy to me though. The site was on a downhill slide when she bought it, she didn't invest much into it, and so the site is still failing (or failing worse than before). I knew things were going seriously downhill when spam messages were left in TriTalk for weeks, even after they had been reported. That's one of the things that pushed me out of TriTalk. Anyway, I don't want to lose you guys though!! What will we do? A FB group? Other suggestions?

For me, I'm still enjoying my leisurely week of do nothing. I really thought I would be antsy by now, but I've been so busy with work that I haven't had time to miss training (yet). I'll play around a bit next week and then maybe slide into the maintenance plan on TP for the winter. I'm toying with the idea of doing a stand alone marathon in the spring, just to see if it really sucks to run 26.2 miles, or I only think it does because I have only ever done it after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles. I mean...it will probably still suck...but why should that stop me?

My goals for the off season are to increase strength and improve my running. That means a lot of running, so why not train for a marathon?!?!

Anyone else have goals for the off season?

2023-10-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I'm toying with the idea of doing a stand alone marathon in the spring, just to see if it really sucks to run 26.2 miles, or I only think it does because I have only ever done it after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles. I mean...it will probably still suck...but why should that stop me? My goals for the off season are to increase strength and improve my running. That means a lot of running, so why not train for a marathon?!?! Anyone else have goals for the off season?

My off-season plan, which starts the end of October, is basically to get my run mojo back and also do the strength work, so same as you, minus the crazy-azz marathon. 

2023-10-05 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

RE:  what to do if/when BT goes bye-bye.  Yes, I want to keep it touch with you peeps...there is zero chance I want to miss out on Gretchen's (mis-?) adventures.

Facebook is certainly an option for me.  I don't post often publicly but I'm already in the Triathlon Collective group which has a ton of old BT-ers.  We could do a BDAS private group for sure.  The Other Mentor Group is looking into Geneva as well as a connecting app. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out what my "single source of training truth" will be going forward.  I know I'm going to export all the data I can, including the HTML pages of my race reports which are the best part of BT (other than the relationships).  Strava has some good features but no planning, I hate the Training Peaks interface.  Sport Tracks (now there's a blast from the past looks visually appealing but lacks features.  Ugh. 

2023-10-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
A private bdas group on facebook sound like a good idea. Or on messenger, whatsapp or whatever.

Off season goal is also to increase strength, which means getting serious about strength training. I’ll try a group training class (again) as I can’t seem to do it seriously on my own. Or a PT, but that’s costly, I’d rather buy stuff with my ”fun” money. Strength training is not fun. I had a great year setting new PR’s but if I want to continue breaking records, I need to get stronger (and also avoid injury).

Other than that, 2 runs (intervals with my club and one longer) and 2 zwift rides a week is the plan.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-10-05 3:05 PM
2023-10-06 3:32 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well this has been a very, very hectic week. I'm sitting in my hotel room for my 2nd different work trip for the week.

Well scheduled to line up with my rest week though I suppose.

So far, 60min run Monday off, 60min run Tuesday, Wednesday off, 30min sweet spot ride Thursday, 30min swim, and a full day onsite Friday. So all in all, not a lot. Still, rest week I guess.

@Mike. Nice race report, and once again, glad you got to finish the season on a high. After tossing up whether or not you were going to race it must feel great.

@Nathalie. If I break 90 I get excited... of course, I only play 9 holes. Haha.

@Nicole. Glad to see you back on track. Keep knocking it out of the park.

@Gretchen. that is not a long time home. Are you sorted with bike/trainer and months worth of spares for your next Egypt adventure?

Also, Mrs Bullfrog had the surgery on her ulnar nerve that your talking about last year. It was a great success. All the feeling/strength has come back and pins and needles have gone. Hopefully for you that's the plan, nothing with your neck :/

I like the marathon plan. I've actually already talked to my running buddy about doing a marathon after Ironman NZ. It would be the Auckland marathon, November 2024... is that planning too far ahead?

And @ Everyone. What is this off season you speak of?
2023-10-06 3:39 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Regarding the possible/pending demise of BT. I'm also in the not prepared to pay for it boat. I'll turn off the add blocker, but other than this mentor group with you fine people, and 1 or 2 race reports a year I don't use the site for anything else.

I'm also definitely wanting to have a back up plan to keep up with everyones adventures. A facebook group would be a good option I think.

Mike, I use runningahead.com for my main training log. (I was a runner for a year or so before starting multsport) it has a lot of options for graphs/data display. There is also a forum which I rarely use. It's not quite a BT ghost town, but it's not super active. The log is great though. Check me out: https://www.runningahead.com/logs/a77d9e6097e44551805f7c677edb99f7

I have no answer for race reports though. How are you backing up your data? I'm not worried about training, but don't want to lose my race reports.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-10-06 3:41 AM

2023-10-06 6:33 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  I back up my race reports by saving each one as a web page and put it on my one drive.  None of the links will work in it, of course, but it saves your verbiage, results, and all of the comments on it.  I also exported all of my workout data but not sure what I'd do with it.  I have most of it elsewhere like Training Peaks, but the only place I have comments is here. 

2023-10-06 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

That runningAHEAD site forum is hilarious.  And some serious freakin' runners. 

2023-10-08 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Big week at work. Very much got in the way of training this week.

2 runs, 1 bike and 1 swim, only 2 1/2 hours for the week. And after 3 12 hour days onsite installing the job, the body feels more fatigued than the start of my 'rest week' Real life sucks.

Anyway, onwards.

We're now 9 weeks away from the 70.3, and have finished the 'base' part of the training plan and am starting the race specific stage. Which is exciting, but somewhat frightening with how quickly it has come around.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2023-10-09 7:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Big week at work. Very much got in the way of training this week.

2 runs, 1 bike and 1 swim, only 2 1/2 hours for the week. And after 3 12 hour days onsite installing the job, the body feels more fatigued than the start of my 'rest week' Real life sucks.

Anyway, onwards.

We're now 9 weeks away from the 70.3, and have finished the 'base' part of the training plan and am starting the race specific stage. Which is exciting, but somewhat frightening with how quickly it has come around.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

After a week of no training at all (seriously!), I am easing back into at least doing things this morning. I did a short run (33'), which felt good. I spent the weekend doing some projects around the house, so I wasn't a total slug for the week, but it really feels nice to start the morning off with a bit of movement. Somehow my daily step goal got reset to 5000 steps, so I met the goal as I was stepping out of the shower, which made me laugh.
2023-10-09 9:18 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
A pretty normal off season week for me. Run intervals, longer run, one Zwift ride and one longer outdoor ride at going shopping speed with lots of stops (was working on a new song in my head and kept having to stop to record ideas). One strength session.

Same plan this week.

Next week I am going to try a spin class aimed at cyclists which I will attend all winter if I like it. Also next week, trying a new strength training class. Tried that many times but never went back. What makes me think this time it will be different?

Gretchen, 5000 steps in the shower?

2023-10-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  What makes me think this time it will be different? 

'Cause 2023 Nat is killing it and is going to pave the way for 2024 Nat to do even better.

Originally posted by Rollergirl Gretchen, 5000 steps in the shower?

Well, it is Gretchen.  I'm surprised she doesn't take her bike into the shower. 

2023-10-09 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Going through my Fat Thor phase with flying colors.  A few workouts in here and there but feeling a little like a slug right now.  We leave on Thursday evening for Europe.  I'm hoping to do a couple of runs in Rome and Florence while we're there and I'm assuming we're going to walk like 5-7 miles a day.  Pictures will be forthcoming!

2023-10-09 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Glad to see everyone is enjoying the 'off season'... whatever that is

I started the week slowly, 30 minute easy jog on the treadmill, and a short bodyweight/stretching routine Monday night. 90 minute zwift planned for this evening.

@Gretchen, a week of nothing after your last year? You must be going crazy with all the spare time

@Nathalie, Hope the classes are a great success

@Mike, sounds like you have an exciting trip lined up. An early morning jog is a great way to explore a bit when you're travelling, so make sure those running shoes get used. Otherwise enjoy being fat thor

2023-10-10 9:22 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just for Mike…a 2350yd swim this morning.
2023-10-10 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Just for Mike…a 2350yd swim this morning.

Well at least you're consistent with that distance. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-10-10 11:11 AM

2023-10-10 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

At this stage, pretty sure she's just trolling you now Mike.
2023-10-11 10:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

At this stage, pretty sure she's just trolling you now Mike.

LOL!
2023-10-11 10:21 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hey, all.  Going through my Fat Thor phase with flying colors.  A few workouts in here and there but feeling a little like a slug right now.  We leave on Thursday evening for Europe.  I'm hoping to do a couple of runs in Rome and Florence while we're there and I'm assuming we're going to walk like 5-7 miles a day.  Pictures will be forthcoming!

Have a great trip. Don't forget to eat pasta, pizza and drink wine! Fat Thor has to eat

2023-10-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1800yd swim for this morning. Had to get out of the pool early because I now have today alone to get all the stuff done that requires lifting more than 10lbs ready before I go to Egypt. I’m having a nerve release surgery on my elbow tomorrow (scheduled yesterday afternoon), so from tomorrow morning until I leave for Egypt, a weight restriction. Crazy day!
2023-10-11 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

1800yd swim for this morning. Had to get out of the pool early because I now have today alone to get all the stuff done that requires lifting more than 10lbs ready before I go to Egypt. I’m having a nerve release surgery on my elbow tomorrow (scheduled yesterday afternoon), so from tomorrow morning until I leave for Egypt, a weight restriction. Crazy day!

Wow, that went from scans to the operating table fast. Hope the surgery is as easy as it can be. Like I said, Mrs Bullfrog had that operation last year and had a really good result getting feeling/strength back in her hand. I'm sure you will be the same.

Maybe no aero bars for a while too.

Are you still 100% going to Egypt? Or with the increasing madness in that part of the world is there a chance you'll be told to stay away? Either way, make sure you stay safe.

2023-10-12 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Wednesday was Mrs Bullfrogs birthday, so was a rest day for me.

Thursday, 30min/1,250m in the pool at lunchtime. I do love lunch swims, 2 25m lap pools, 8 lanes in each and only 1 other swimmer in the place. Happiness is an empty lap pool.

60 minute treadmill run in the evening, with 4 x 7' Z3 cruise intervals.

TIcking along.

Hope everyone is having a good week, and Gretchen's surgery went well.
2023-10-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #5287107

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—I love lunchtime swims too!! Our pool isn’t empty at lunchtime, but I like the break in my day. My problem is I get to thinking about stuff and lose track of my laps (and the time!). Haven’t swim much at lunch since starting masters, but I do miss it.

Surgery went well. I didn’t even barf from the anestesia (a rareity for me!). Home around 10 and basically just napped and stared off into space for the afternoon. Pain is well managed. Best part is that I can already feel my fingers on my left hand! I don’t want to jump the gun, but this feels promising! PT starts tomorrow (no idea what for…)
2023-10-12 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5287113

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Forgot to add…Egypt is still a go on all fronts, but we’re keeping an eye on the Israel situation, of course. In honesty, Israel and Hamas have been bombing each other since forever and it hasn’t affected our work yet…but still, we keep a close eye on it and have contingency plans out the rear.
2023-10-13 10:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone! Work has been insane the last 2 weeks so I haven't been posting much but I have been keeping up with my notebook! Definitely had a little gap in there where I wasn't paying as much attention to it, but was keeping up with some of the items still. I feel like things are calming down a little, and my house is super clean, so that will help me focus.

Last weekend I had 2 concerts: Zac Brown Band and Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks. ZBB was weird. Lots of teenagers. They're my favorite band, but I've never seen so many kids at their show, and it made for a weird vibe. Overall good, just not as amazing as last year.
Stevie and Billy were amazing. I went with my mom, so we had a nice night of bonding, and she stayed over at my house for the first time. It was really nice.
I only had 2 drinks during the weekend, and have been doing really well at sticking to the minimal booze. I've been cycling a few times a week and am back onto doing strength. I think for November I'm going to change up my tracking a little to specify what types of workout I did that day to track that a little better.

Have a friend coming to town this weekend, so trying to find stuff for us to do since it's going to rain all weekend (boo)
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland