BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
Doug, that is a very cool design!!

2012-02-02 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Yea, Linda, we're 9 of 10!!

Off the to the Sharks game.....night all!

2012-02-02 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4026677

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Terps421 - 2012-02-02 9:39 PM Ok, I won't get 5 but Tony that "Food on my Dog" was so funny!

For those not on FB

http://foodonmydog.tumblr.com/

Stupid but strangely funny

2012-02-02 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Thanks for the link to Food on my Dog - very cute pics.

Doug: very cool design!

David: sounds really strange - no swelling or discoloration and it hurts like heck.  Whenever the top of my foot hurts, it is either red or slightly swollen or both...and usually it comes from the muscle on the outside of the shin.  Let us know what the doc has to say.

Pool pics: obviously Hillary's very lucky friends are taking pics.

Tiana: two falls in a week in the house sounds scary.  Slow down.

2012-02-03 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Doug and Deb- I think I need to have one of you buy me a lottery ticket.  Congrats on both your scores.  And, nice design, Doug!

Linda- Congrats!

Pool pics- It's a sad day when your first thought coincides with Tony's. Wink  And, yeah, I'd agree those don't look like flip flops to me.

Tracy- I can be guilty of comparison too.  I'm a very competitive person but with myself.  I look at what others do as a challenge to myself. Not to "beat" them but as inspiration to get myself in motion.  For example, if I see that a single mother of 5 can find time, there's probably little excuse for me to shirk out of a workout.  I just have to be more creative. 

Kyla- love that story. 

2012-02-03 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4022527

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 7:45 AM

Aloha Kids...it's that time again.  Who is racing like the wind this weekend?  Goals?  We want details!

We've talked about balancing priorities this week, but lets' dive a little deeper.  For those of us who feel we have a less developed part of our SBR game, what is it? and are you doing anything about it?  or just enjoying the whole experience for what it is--FUN!

Good luck racers!

Less developed area? They all need lots of work.  Looking back on last year, I was consumed by fear and focused solely on making the distance.  This year, I am focused on giving every workout more oomph.  I am virtually taking people on my workouts with me; eg. Chrissie/Lance on the bike, Miranda on the run, and Kyla and my friend Lara on the swim.  Oh, the conversations we have. Hahahaha!  ok, now you all think I'm nuts.

2012-02-03 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

So I've been dealing with some back issues since the summer.  I've done exercises from my chiropractor, massage therapist and coach.  During cross season it seemed to get better until Thanksgiving when I went on 2 long hilly tough road rides and it came back.  It was only really happening when I would get into a good climb trying to stay with a fast group.  About 30 minutes into good hard hilly rides it would really start hurting.

So I was resigned to the fact that I would only be able to do flat crit's this year (better at those anyways), or not race at all due to the pain.

Over the last couple weeks I had 2 people tell me it looked like my seat was a bit low.  I didn't think so since I had been through 3-4 fitting sessions with my coach trying to figure out if anything would help my back problem.

I tried it out late last week and didn't seem to make much of a difference.  Then I got on a hilly section after about :30 minutes every down pedal stroke with my right leg I could feel a tight pain in my lower back.  Having my seat lower I didn't feel it so severly, it just started getting sore.  With my seat raised I had to stretch out a bit more to pedal with my normal pedal stroke.

When I started reading in the forums way back when someone had said something about the pedal stroke should feel like you are trying to scrape mud off the bottom of your shoes, so I always took that to mean toes more up and heels more down.  Which is supposed to activate more of your muscles to help pedal. 

I switched to pedaling flat footed and no pain whatsoever.  The muscles in my legs are so stupidly tight that by dropping my heels it was pulling on my back.  Now I'm working on loosening up those muscles more but pedalling flat footed until then.

This was a huge relief, I was starting to get worried that I might have to give up doing any sort of hilly rides, which is what most of the team training rides are.

LOL, sorry for the long post but I am so relieved right now that I finally figured it out!

2012-02-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4026570

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kkcbelle - 2012-02-02 6:49 PM

TrevorC - 2012-02-02 4:52 PM Flipflops and paddles to her left, and flip flops to her right.......... What a mystery

Hillary, much like myself, enjoys training with her friends. GMTA, and all...

And her friend is where??  Oh wait she's in the shower

2012-02-03 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4026423

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2012-02-02 6:07 PM
badgerintx - 2012-02-02 5:32 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-02-02 4:21 PM

PS.  Even I can appreciate that picture of the pool.  Aspirational.

What part of the picture of the pool is "Aspirational?"  

(ok, I admit I had to look that one up!!) 

Wouldn't that be Asspirational?

LMAO!  I think you're right!

2012-02-03 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4026502

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tdl1972 - 2012-02-02 7:04 PM

Unfortunate distraction question:

I have developed a really severe pain in my left foot over the past couple days.  It started hurting on Monday and I took a Naproxen which seemed to work, as I felt fine on Tuesday.  Tuesday night I ran and had no pain in it, but it started hurting again yesterday.  I took another Naproxen last night and when I woke up this morning my foot was hurting much worse than before.  It feels similar to the description of gout, except that my big toe is fine and no joints seem to be affected.  The pain is throughout the upper part of my foot, excluding my toes.  I have no swelling and no redness or discoloration.  I cannot put weight on it, and movement and walking are both excruciating.  WedMD diagnosed the symtoms as most likely a broken bone in my foot - and I suppose there could be a stress fracture, but there has been no acute trauma or sudden injury.

I am hoping to get in to see a podiatrist tomorrow, but does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what it might actually be?  Has anyone had anything like this before?  And most importantly to me right now, any ideas on how to make it bearable?  Ice made no difference and elevation seemed to make it worse. 

Also, FWIW, this is not the same foot I was dealing with heel pain in.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.  Until then, I will continue to self-medicate by staring at the picture above.

edited to correct that I cannot put weight on it.

I have nothing for you either, other than to say get into a doctor.  It doesn't necessarily need to be a podiatrist.  A good internal med doc would do at this point.  Report back!

2012-02-03 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4027209

User image

dalessit - 2012-02-03 9:24 AM

So I've been dealing with some back issues since the summer.  I've done exercises from my chiropractor, massage therapist and coach.  During cross season it seemed to get better until Thanksgiving when I went on 2 long hilly tough road rides and it came back.  It was only really happening when I would get into a good climb trying to stay with a fast group.  About 30 minutes into good hard hilly rides it would really start hurting.

So I was resigned to the fact that I would only be able to do flat crit's this year (better at those anyways), or not race at all due to the pain.

Over the last couple weeks I had 2 people tell me it looked like my seat was a bit low.  I didn't think so since I had been through 3-4 fitting sessions with my coach trying to figure out if anything would help my back problem.

I tried it out late last week and didn't seem to make much of a difference.  Then I got on a hilly section after about :30 minutes every down pedal stroke with my right leg I could feel a tight pain in my lower back.  Having my seat lower I didn't feel it so severly, it just started getting sore.  With my seat raised I had to stretch out a bit more to pedal with my normal pedal stroke.

When I started reading in the forums way back when someone had said something about the pedal stroke should feel like you are trying to scrape mud off the bottom of your shoes, so I always took that to mean toes more up and heels more down.  Which is supposed to activate more of your muscles to help pedal. 

I switched to pedaling flat footed and no pain whatsoever.  The muscles in my legs are so stupidly tight that by dropping my heels it was pulling on my back.  Now I'm working on loosening up those muscles more but pedalling flat footed until then.

This was a huge relief, I was starting to get worried that I might have to give up doing any sort of hilly rides, which is what most of the team training rides are.

LOL, sorry for the long post but I am so relieved right now that I finally figured it out!

That's great news, Tony! 

2012-02-03 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Looks like we will be staying at the Shores of Panama for IMFL!
2012-02-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4027877

User image

DougRob - 2012-02-03 1:38 PM Looks like we will be staying at the Shores of Panama for IMFL!

"We" as in the whole family? 

2012-02-03 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4022527

User image

SSMinnow - 2012-02-01 7:45 AM

Aloha Kids...it's that time again.  Who is racing like the wind this weekend?  Goals?  We want details!

We've talked about balancing priorities this week, but lets' dive a little deeper.  For those of us who feel we have a less developed part of our SBR game, what is it? and are you doing anything about it?  or just enjoying the whole experience for what it is--FUN!

Late to the party here. No racing for me this weekend, but I'm looking forward to the helmet cam video of John's race! I wonder if he talks smack even when running uphill in the mud? Good luck John, David, and anyone else I missed!

The bike is my less developed discipline, because I spend the least time on it and tend toward unstructured trainer workouts when I do ride. I don't plan to put much more time into the bike this season, but I do plan to do more quality workouts.

2012-02-03 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4027919

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Havin'Fun - 2012-02-03 2:03 PM

DougRob - 2012-02-03 1:38 PM Looks like we will be staying at the Shores of Panama for IMFL!

"We" as in the whole family? 

Yes.

2012-02-03 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2012-02-03 7:24 AM

Thats awesome. For as many funny posts this website has about your seat being too high/low.....This is one situation where it is the truth.

2012-02-03 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2012-02-03 9:24 AM

Good news Tony.  Isn't it intersting how the body is connected where a change in the foot postition affects the hip and back?  There are lots of good stretches for your hips/butt/back that will help with this as well.  Ask your doctors/coach for some.  They've done wonders for Doug and me.  Happy climbing.

2012-02-03 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Good news, I suppose.  After a series of x-rays and an ultrasound on my foot, the doctor says I have a gout flare-up in "an uncommon part of the foot."  Apparently it runs in my family, so it's not a complete surprise.  Weird that it's in the middle part of my foot, though.  But on the bright side, it's not a stress fracture and it should be cleared up in a few days.  I figured turning 40 was gonna suck, but I didn't know I was going to fall apart so quickly.

2012-02-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4028292

User image

Elite
san francisco
tdl1972 - 2012-02-03 1:35 PM

Good news, I suppose.  After a series of x-rays and an ultrasound on my foot, the doctor says I have a gout flare-up in "an uncommon part of the foot."  Apparently it runs in my family, so it's not a complete surprise.  Weird that it's in the middle part of my foot, though.  But on the bright side, it's not a stress fracture and it should be cleared up in a few days.  I figured turning 40 was gonna suck, but I didn't know I was going to fall apart so quickly.

Great news, David.  Now, I guess you need to determine your triggers for gout and avoid them...as the saying goes, avoid them like the gout!  Or at least that's what my uncle, dad and brother always say.

2012-02-03 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
dalessit - 2012-02-03 8:24 AM

Thats cool you figured it out. And I'm thinking maybe I need to lower my seat and change my clet position.

Tiana

2012-02-03 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4026738

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
dcon - 2012-02-02 9:24 PM

Tiana: two falls in a week in the house sounds scary.  Slow down.

Thanks Dan I'll keep it slower until I'm headache free.\

Tiana

2012-02-03 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
tdl1972 - 2012-02-03 3:35 PM

Great news. Hope tha gout clears up quick. I feel like my body is falling apart too.

Tiana

2012-02-03 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
tdl1972 - 2012-02-03 2:35 PM

Yay for figuring it out.  It's funny how our perspective changes when we're faced with worse possibilities hey?  Gout isn't fun, but it sure beats a stress fracture.

2012-02-03 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
tdl1972 - 2012-02-03 4:35 PM

Good news David, take care of yourself.

2012-02-03 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4025403

User image

Regular
TrevorC - 2012-02-02 10:28 AM 

Tuesday was a great workout.

Yep.  Spin classes with Angie don't disappoint.  I never leave that place thinking "oh, that was okay..."

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117