General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

May's totals:

Bike:29h 09m 31s  - 556.77 Mi
Run:13h 17m 05s  - 104.93 Mi
Swim:8h 39m 23s  - 27300 M

For one of the few times ever, I mostly followed my Plan and as a result my SBR proportions are balanced.  For the average athlete, your Run should be .2 of your Bike.  In other words, for every 100 miles you bike - you should Run 20 miles.  Personally, I'd rather spend a majority of my time running and swimming, but that would not be beneficial to completing an Ironman

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-02 7:55 AM

2011-06-02 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3528365

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
ckunst - 2011-06-01 10:31 PM

As I really am a "beginner triathlete" I have a question that I hope doesn't sound too stupid.  I am doing my first HIM this weekend and need to make a decision on what to wear.  My concern is for comfort on the bike leg.  I was planning on wearing my bike shorts (which I have used for my long rides and still experience discomfort by the end of the ride) and then switch to running shorts.  But I have learned that there won't be anywhere to change between legs, so now am not sure.  If I swim, bike, and run in thick padded bike shorts, will that be OK to ride with a thick wet pad and then also use it for the run, or am I better off wearing thinner padded tri shorts and just suffer on the bike?  Also, in desperation I have ordered a DeSoto seat pad.  If that arrives in time, is there any reason to not put it on for this weekend?  Any advice will be appreciated.

I would not swim in my bike shorts and then ride and run in them. I have in the past worn tri shorts to swim, wore biking short OVER my tri shorts for the bike and then taken the bike shorts off for the run. No worries about changing between legs...food for thought!
2011-06-02 8:00 AM

User image

ckunst - 2011-06-01 10:31 PM As I really am a "beginner triathlete" I have a question that I hope doesn't sound too stupid.  I am doing my first HIM this weekend and need to make a decision on what to wear.  My concern is for comfort on the bike leg.  I was planning on wearing my bike shorts (which I have used for my long rides and still experience discomfort by the end of the ride) and then switch to running shorts.  But I have learned that there won't be anywhere to change between legs, so now am not sure.  If I swim, bike, and run in thick padded bike shorts, will that be OK to ride with a thick wet pad and then also use it for the run, or am I better off wearing thinner padded tri shorts and just suffer on the bike?  Also, in desperation I have ordered a DeSoto seat pad.  If that arrives in time, is there any reason to not put it on for this weekend?  Any advice will be appreciated.

I would just wear the tri-shorts.  Whether wearing the tri-shorts or the cycling pants, either way it sounds like you will experience discomfort toward the end of the bike.  The difference with just wearing the tri shorts is you will be happier on the run.  Wearing a wet soggy diaper on the run will NOT be fun!  

For LP, with the changing tents, you can do a full costume change. 

As for the seat pad, Nothing New On Race Day.  Of course I have not always followed this rule and occasionally it has worked out in my favor, and a few times - not so much.  If you use choose to use the seat cover, just accept the risk that it may not go well.  However, it may be fine.   
2011-06-02 8:04 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg

May's totals:

Bike:

28h 54m 19s  - 506.02 Mi

Run:

18h 30m 13s  - 115.51 Mi

Swim:

11h 55m  - 30200 Yd

Strength:

50m

2011-06-02 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
ckunst
Posted 2011-06-02 10:31 AM (#3528365 - in reply to #3098185)
Quote Reply

As I really am a "beginner triathlete" I have a question that I hope doesn't sound too stupid.  I am doing my first HIM this weekend and need to make a decision on what to wear.  My concern is for comfort on the bike leg.  I was planning on wearing my bike shorts (which I have used for my long rides and still experience discomfort by the end of the ride) and then switch to running shorts.  But I have learned that there won't be anywhere to change between legs, so now am not sure.  If I swim, bike, and run in thick padded bike shorts, will that be OK to ride with a thick wet pad and then also use it for the run, or am I better off wearing thinner padded tri shorts and just suffer on the bike?  Also, in desperation I have ordered a DeSoto seat pad.  If that arrives in time, is there any reason to not put it on for this weekend?  Any advice will be appreciated.
-----
One step at a time

Mate - same question that i had 12mths ago when i did my first HIM (or tri for that matter).  I bought a pair of compression shorts - 2XU.  They have a tiny wee pad.  The go perfectly under the wetsuit, then you can throw a pair of cycling shorts on top (bib or regular), then running shorts on top for the run..   Easy...   You wear them from start to finish and no one gets to see you crown jewels....

I heard a story of a guy at IMLP one year who had only his birthday suit on.  So when he was stripped by the strippas - he had to run the 1/4 mile to T1 with things dangling ever where...  EEEEKKK.  Wonder if you could get arrested.  That would be a F`ed up way to DNF!

2011-06-02 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Hey gang. Sorry to report a minor setback. Took a very low speed fall on my bike last night. Literally fell on my top tube. Thought I crushed my ribs but"just" bruised. Out of commission for a few days but hope to get in my long ride Sunday. You can read the play by play here

2011-06-02 9:32 AM

User image

Buffalo, NY

ckunst - 2011-06-01 10:31 PM As I really am a "beginner triathlete" I have a question that I hope doesn't sound too stupid.  I am doing my first HIM this weekend and need to make a decision on what to wear.  My concern is for comfort on the bike leg.  I was planning on wearing my bike shorts (which I have used for my long rides and still experience discomfort by the end of the ride) and then switch to running shorts.  But I have learned that there won't be anywhere to change between legs, so now am not sure.  If I swim, bike, and run in thick padded bike shorts, will that be OK to ride with a thick wet pad and then also use it for the run, or am I better off wearing thinner padded tri shorts and just suffer on the bike?  Also, in desperation I have ordered a DeSoto seat pad.  If that arrives in time, is there any reason to not put it on for this weekend?  Any advice will be appreciated.

ckunst, good question.  First and foremost before I get to any of the chamois issues, have you had your bike properly fit from a bike shop?  Poor bike/tri short and lots of saddles can cause issues but it has been my experience and general understanding that the majority of discomfort on the bike comes from a poor or nonexisting bike fit.  So if you haven't gotten one yet, get one, and if you have gotten one, I might suggest checking out another shop for a fit.  They are totally worth whatever they make you pay, I guarantee that.  Best time to do it, at this point, is right after this race so your legs get used to the position for the rest of your training.

Now to the current situation.  Do not swim, bike, and run in bike shorts.  Not only will you lose a vast amount of skin but there is no way you can run well in bike shorts, it will start to throw your gait off and everything.  As a few others have said, if you're going to have discomfort you might as well have it in the tri shorts.  I've learned discomfort is discomfort no matter what you're wearing and that's part of the game of triathlon some days.  Besides, it's a race and things go numb and pain is overcome lots of times in races because your mind is more focused.  Depending on your course you might have the ability to come out of aero or out of the saddle enough to relieve the discomfort at times.

To the seat pad. Unless you can ride on the seat pad beforehand I wouldn't use it for the race.  Also, and this is just from what I've read and heard at bike shops, seat pads tend to make discomfort worse over the long-haul because there is more time for 'everything' to sink in and this creates more contact pressure and potentially more 'hot-spots'.  This is the reason so many bike saddles are hard, hard, hard.  The more padding there is the more the padding can shift and move when you shift and move, you don't want this out of a saddle, you want it more rigid so contact pressure is always consistent and not moving. Thing of it this way, a hard saddle will never rub in different places because it doesn't move, a pad can squish and shift with you so it can rub more places. This is a subjective matter though, I'm sure some will disagree.

Hope this helps.

2011-06-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3528798

User image

Buffalo, NY

mrbbrad - 2011-06-02 9:37 AM Hey gang. Sorry to report a minor setback. Took a very low speed fall on my bike last night. Literally fell on my top tube. Thought I crushed my ribs but"just" bruised. Out of commission for a few days but hope to get in my long ride Sunday. You can read the play by play here

Ouch.  I've been in similar situations, it took me a few days for the 'shock' to wear off then I was just sore for a week or so.  Heal up and don't do more than you need to.  Remember, under-trained is better than over-trained especially when hurt.  And if it was me, I'd be walking my bike down the rest of my training!

2011-06-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3528782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
blackchr05 - 2011-06-02 8:31 AM
ckunst
Posted 2011-06-02 10:31 AM (#3528365 - in reply to #3098185)
Quote Reply

-----
One step at a time

Mate - same question that i had 12mths ago when i did my first HIM (or tri for that matter).  I bought a pair of compression shorts - 2XU.  They have a tiny wee pad.  The go perfectly under the wetsuit, then you can throw a pair of cycling shorts on top (bib or regular), then running shorts on top for the run..   Easy...   You wear them from start to finish and no one gets to see you crown jewels....

I heard a story of a guy at IMLP one year who had only his birthday suit on.  So when he was stripped by the strippas - he had to run the 1/4 mile to T1 with things dangling ever where...  EEEEKKK.  Wonder if you could get arrested.  That would be a F`ed up way to DNF!

I too am doing my first Full at IMLP. I like this idea of wearing the tri shorts for all three disciplines. 2 questions... My DeSoto tri shorts might have a little more padding than your 2XU shorts. I wore them for a HIM without a problem. Transition time is not an issue for me, so I have a choice between changing into dry bike shorts or adding them over my tri-shorts? Also what is the reason for putting running shorts over the tri shorts?

2011-06-03 11:43 AM

User image

Regular

i heard the story of no clothed man at LP as well.

LP will be my first IM.

Im planning on wearing my bike shorts during the swim under wetsuit, stick extra chamois in after swim, bike, then change into running shorts for the run.

HIM i used a tri suit with small chamois and did not change.

8 weeks to go! woohooo!!!!!

2011-06-03 1:15 PM

Veteran
Not sure if this is turning into a "What not to wear" episode but since we are on that topic... I was planning on wearing bike shorts for the bike then changing to running shorts for the run. Someone told me that the tri shorts provide support and compression for your quads during the run so they are not shaking around... not sure how much this is true or helps though. Anyone else ever heard this?

2011-06-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3531009

User image

Regular

Hi DD - No reason to put running shrots above 2XU compression shorts - sometimes i do, sometimes i don`t.  I put bike shorts over the 2XU compression shorts for padding.  I just see 2XU compression shorts as an extra layer of skin.

Rev 3:  30% chance of thunderstorms are Rev 3 on Sunday.  High of only 68oF (which i guess is good for quick (relative) times but i was hoping for a heat fest just in case Placid has a mini heat wave in 7 weeks)...  Just booked another trip to Placid in 3 weeks (wedding planning and training).  I kinda like it there.

2011-06-03 2:16 PM

Veteran
Just saw we have 50 days left and felt compelled to post that!
2011-06-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3531276

User image

Buffalo, NY
RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-03 2:15 PMNot sure if this is turning into a "What not to wear" episode but since we are on that topic... I was planning on wearing bike shorts for the bike then changing to running shorts for the run. Someone told me that the tri shorts provide support and compression for your quads during the run so they are not shaking around... not sure how much this is true or helps though. Anyone else ever heard this?
Well, yes and no. Yes most tri shorts have some type of compression built into them but I own pairs that are no different than bike shorts except for the chamois. Specific brands are known for more compression like 2xu. I own some sugoi and zoot tri shorts that have minimal compression and a pair of cw-x that have a bunch. So it depends! Also, wearing compression shorts is similar to the argument for wearing compression socks during race/training, there is no definitive evidence that it improves performance more of a personal preference thing.
2011-06-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3531423

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-03 3:16 PM Just saw we have 50 days left and felt compelled to post that!

2011-06-03 7:59 PM

User image

Yeah, I've been tapering a whopping 4 days for my HIM now... and I'm going out of my mind.  Not, errr..., sure how I'm gonna be with TWO WEEKS leading up to Placid. 

I just snapped a pic of myself with my i-Phone.  Man I look as crazy as I feel...

2011-06-03 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3531431

User image

piratenick - 2011-06-03 3:19 PM
RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-03 2:15 PMNot sure if this is turning into a "What not to wear" episode but since we are on that topic... I was planning on wearing bike shorts for the bike then changing to running shorts for the run. Someone told me that the tri shorts provide support and compression for your quads during the run so they are not shaking around... not sure how much this is true or helps though. Anyone else ever heard this?
Well, yes and no. Yes most tri shorts have some type of compression built into them but I own pairs that are no different than bike shorts except for the chamois. Specific brands are known for more compression like 2xu. I own some sugoi and zoot tri shorts that have minimal compression and a pair of cw-x that have a bunch. So it depends! Also, wearing compression shorts is similar to the argument for wearing compression socks during race/training, there is no definitive evidence that it improves performance more of a personal preference thing.

I've never seen a professional marathoner wear compression shorts.  A couple wear the socks -- and of the top men and women at Kona, 90% don't wear the socks. 

I know compression tights help me to Recover.  I think 99.99% of how you perform while racing has to do with your fitness.  There is some evidence that compression helps during activity by reducing some muscle fatigue by increasing blood flow and reducing vibration; but it's looking like it's so minimal that it ultimately has little to no impact on active race performance. 
2011-06-04 12:40 AM

New user

Hey all, late comer to the chat as I just stumbled on the site. Just wanted to say hi. Looking forward to the 24th!Quick answers to the questions, this will be my first full ironman. Goal for this one is to enjoy and finish and race the plan so that I'm relatively on schedule for my family that'll be watching . Picked IMLP because I have family that lives in town and seeing this race in 2007 is what inspired me to start triathlons in the first place. No questions at the moment, just looking forward to the ensuing weeks and more great discussions.Got to get to bed now though. Honu HIM in Hawaii starts at 7 tomorrow. Potential 3-5' waves for the swim, thunderstorms and wind gusts for the bike and high humidity for the run. Should be fun!!!

Edited by Nottawayblue 2011-06-04 12:49 AM
2011-06-04 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

**Pity Party**

Still too sore to train. Hell, too sore to sleep well.

Effity, eff, eff!!

2011-06-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3532039

User image

Buffalo, NY
Welcome Nottawayblue.  I've got some friends racing Hawaii who have given similar report of the weather.  Good luck and have a great race! Also, everyone else have fantastic races this weekend, and for those of you not racing may your long rides be as enjoyable as the burn in my quads tomorrow!   Feel the burn baby!!
2011-06-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3531284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
blackchr05 - 2011-06-03 1:18 PM

Hi DD - No reason to put running shrots above 2XU compression shorts - sometimes i do, sometimes i don`t.  I put bike shorts over the 2XU compression shorts for padding.  I just see 2XU compression shorts as an extra layer of skin.

Rev 3:  30% chance of thunderstorms are Rev 3 on Sunday.  High of only 68oF (which i guess is good for quick (relative) times but i was hoping for a heat fest just in case Placid has a mini heat wave in 7 weeks)...  Just booked another trip to Placid in 3 weeks (wedding planning and training).  I kinda like it there.

I did it last night. Put on my tri shorts and tri top. Hosed off (Cold water) brrrrrr. Quick towel dry and put on my bike shorts over the tri shorts. Rode about an hour. umm... my junk felt all smashed together. After the ride I was doing a brick. Took off the bike shorts and then put running shorts over the tri shorts. It all felt wrong. I like the idea though. I think I'll get a pair of swimming jammers. (no pad) and put them on underneath for the whole race.

2011-06-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3532189

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Racing, no matter the distance, is about being comfortable. The longer the race, the more important it becomes though. I hope you can find the best combo soon so you can train some more with it.

Hope everyone is having a great training weekend, or is ready to tear it up in their races!
2011-06-04 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3532153

User image

mrbbrad - 2011-06-04 8:25 AM

**Pity Party**

Still too sore to train. Hell, too sore to sleep well.

Effity, eff, eff!!

I'm sorry! hate hate to be "out", know how you feel. Welcome nottawayblue! Good luck in HIM. HUGE GOOD LUCK to all the fine peeps here doing REV 3! Thinking of ya'll decided to do 56 mile bike, 13 mile run today....great day for it. Speaking of costume changes, wore bike shorts and then changed to full compression tights ....might even do this for big day (I know others here wouldn't waste this much time) but i'm in just-trying-to-finish group.
2011-06-04 6:31 PM

Veteran
Wore the tri top today on my 90 miler and forgot one minor detail... sunscreen... I have the worst worst worst sunburn ever in the shape of a tri top on my back. :-( Putting aloe and taking ibuprofin... but they say the peak is between 12 and 24 hours after exposure... Also forgot to wear my road ID but was riding with others and had my license. Why is it sometimes the easiest things that are so hard to remember!?
2011-06-05 11:14 AM

New user

Honu 70.3 done, thank goodness! Great, but tough, course. And, to echo RJ, main take away is sunscreen! What I had on apparently didn't cut it and I have bright red lower thighs and shoulders. Though these race number white spots in the middle of the burns are actually kind of neat. And to jump into the clothing discussion, wore a tri kit under a speed suit for the swim, ditched the speed suit in T1 and just wore the kit the rest of the race, plan to do the same for LP but with a wetsuit of course. Outside of modesty issues, guess I'm having trouble seeing how running shorts over compression or tri shorts actually add any benefit. But I'm not always the brightest crayon in the box so maybe I'm missing something?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112